SCAF/FCAS/NGWS Breaks Up?

Thomas2022

With the messaging from Dassault at the recent Paris Air Show, very Rafale focused, and announcements that France is now exploring a "sovereign" combat cloud outside the SCAF Airbus-led Combat Cloud workstream - is anyone here questioning the longevity of SCAF and whether France will seek an alternative 6th Generation Combat Air Solution?

Thomas2022

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm especially inviting Moderators for initial views here, with a nod towards previous experience.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
With the messaging from Dassault at the recent Paris Air Show, very Rafale focused, and announcements that France is now exploring a "sovereign" combat cloud outside the SCAF Airbus-led Combat Cloud workstream - is anyone here questioning the longevity of SCAF and whether France will seek an alternative 6th Generation Combat Air Solution?
I think France's need for a 5-6th Gen fighter that is CATOBAR capable is a problem for SCAF. France will be hard pressed to fund both programs and the other partners likely don't want to fund a naval fighter for France.

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
According to this article things seem to be progressing. Two interesting points, the major parties have agreed the jet has to be carrier capable, a big concession to France. France also wants a to be able to export whatever gets developed, a potential obstacle, at least for the first decade of FOC. Maybe a Euro carrier will join France’s new carrier currently under design development.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always predicted a poor outcome of a Franco-German program for all sorts of reasons. Germany were fairly troublesome in the Eurofighter program, wanting strange things like re-using the Tornado engine for EF. They seem to have a penchant for eliminating kit then adding it back in at great expense. And of course, the export veto would not sit well with France's very hard nosed attitude to business.

That plus the carrier capable aspect, none of this helps.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I always predicted a poor outcome of a Franco-German program for all sorts of reasons. Germany were fairly troublesome in the Eurofighter program, wanting strange things like re-using the Tornado engine for EF. They seem to have a penchant for eliminating kit then adding it back in at great expense. And of course, the export veto would not sit well with France's very hard nosed attitude to business.

That plus the carrier capable aspect, none of this helps.
Yes, the statement saying they were all on the same page seems a stretch, especially the carrier part. Without some export sales, a financial sinkhole.