Russia's Arctic Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiGBear

Banned Member
I remember reading a joke somewhere that human-induced climate change was a conspiracy to invade Russia. A play off of the history of failed invasions of Russia due to the brutal winters there.

While it is not a serious statement by any means, perhaps it does raise an important observation that the Arctic is becoming increasingly accessible, whether that is through climate change or modern technological advances, and the implications it has for Russia's security and defense concerns.

The way will be opened up to tapping many resources present in the Arctic. If enough sea ice melts, it could also mean new shipping lanes. If we use our imagination and think ahead very long term, it's easy to see a lot of development and disputes happening in the region, with a lot of economic implications. An interesting thought is that we may even see the rise of booming Arctic coastal cities, but that is pure speculation.

Although there is a sort of agreement going on with the Arctic Council and various treaties, I am inclined to think that thinking there will be multilateral and tension-free resolutions to any disputes is optimistic. That may just be me.

Current international issues center around Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and the Pacific, but perhaps someday in the future the Arctic will take center stage as the number one issue in global politics. When that day comes, nations will want to have leverage.

Maybe it is with these long term considerations in mind, that Russia is prioritizing its ability to aggressively influence the Arctic with its military, as evidenced by even its deployment of SAM systems.

Thoughts?
Good analysis! And the true motives of Russia are shown. Russia defends its resources in the Arctic. Russia is building up its military power in the territory of its Arctic sector in conditions of global Anglo-Saxon aggression. This is a very explosive situation after 2014. Now Russia openly shows that it will not tolerate aggression. This warning is not in words but in the form of military means ... :)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
FMD if I see one more thread taking a prancing nationalistic tone I and a gaggle of my other moderating friends will be deleting it

leave that rubbish at home or create your own blog or web space where you that rubbish can be articulated freely

Its not going to be tolerated in here.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good analysis! And the true motives of Russia are shown. Russia defends its resources in the Arctic. Russia is building up its military power in the territory of its Arctic sector in conditions of global Anglo-Saxon aggression. This is a very explosive situation after 2014. Now Russia openly shows that it will not tolerate aggression. This warning is not in words but in the form of military means ... :)
You know very well that Arctic claims are far from resolved. Russia is not just defending established territory, it's putting itself in a position to be the only one who can back their Arctic claims militarily. And this is being pursued at every level, from icebreakers, to airfields, to deployment of anti-ship and anti-air missile systems. This all has very little to do with Anglos or Saxons. I suggest you look into who is claiming what in terms of control of the Arctic.

BiGBear

Banned Member
You know very well that Arctic claims are far from resolved. Russia is not just defending established territory, it's putting itself in a position to be the only one who can back their Arctic claims militarily. And this is being pursued at every level, from icebreakers, to airfields, to deployment of anti-ship and anti-air missile systems. This all has very little to do with Anglos or Saxons. I suggest you look into who is claiming what in terms of control of the Arctic.
In May 1925, Canada officially consolidated its right to its Arctic sector between its coast and the North Pole. The USSR did the same in 1926. Russia is indeed the ONLY military defender of its Arctic territories. Russia does not pretend and has never claimed the Arctic sectors of other countries. Russia is only defending its rights to its Arctic sector between its coast and the North Pole. While other countries dream of starting activities in the Russian Arctic sector. Regarding icebreakers ... Russia has nuclear icebreakers for more than 50 years. They have been used for more than 50 years for peaceful activities on the Arctic coast of Russia, in the Russian sector of the Arctic. Therefore, there is nothing special about this. More than 80 years ago the USSR began to intensively develop its Arctic sector. And the other northern countries did not have any claims. But after the 90s, the Anglo-Saxons decided that Russia is weak and it is possible to take the Arctic sector from Russia. Therefore, the information war began against Russian interests in the Arctic. So now Russia is FORCED to strengthen its arguments with the help of military force. This is absolutely normal. Russia is the owner of its Arctic sector and its islands in the Arctic. In addition, Russia tells everyone that the Northern Sea Route from Murmansk to the Bering Sea is our national project and only Russia will control this transport corridor. This is perfectly legal because all the straits on this transport route are national territories, these are the territories of Russia. Due to the fact that since the beginning of the 1990s Anglo-Saxon newspapers are trying to wage an information war against Russian legitimate interests in the Arctic sector and the governments of the Arctic states are making aggressive statements against Russia's interests in the Russian Arctic sector, Russia is forced to put in advance powerful military garrisons in the Russian Islands in the Arctic. This can only bother the aggressors. Therefore, Russia has never claimed a claim to foreign territory in the Arraktika. Russia has never declared its interests on foreign sectors in the Arctic. Russia defends only its Arctic sector and its national territories and transport routes in the Arctic. Relax guys ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.