Russian Navy Discussions and Updates

Redlands18

I don’t think any nuclear sub or surface ship would be suitable as a museum boat from a liability POV alone, especially vessels decommissioned by Russian nuclear safety personnel. Despite being a 40 year military old vessel, there are likely design features that might still be relevant today.

Not aware of any Western SSN(BN) museum boat either.
List of submarine museums - Wikipedia
Just 3 have been preserved as Museums
France
Le Redoutable
UK
Courageous
USA
Nautilas
A lot of sails and a fair few DEs have been preserved,

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
After much misadventure, the Kuznetsov has left dry dock. The handover date for the ship has "slipped" to 2024, with the remaining work to be done on the ship as it stands parked. It's unclear what if any upgrades are to be performed on the ship at this point, but some upgrades are clearly needed as the radio-technical suite for the ship is now quite badly outdated. Presumably some changes will be made to flight ops and the equipment associated with it, as the accident rate on board during it's only combat deployment to the Mediterranean was unpleasantly high.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Fqpyw6HaEAAa_oQ.jpeg

It is already circulating in Chinese online media and forums for couple of months. This is image one of PLAN Sovremeny that just finished the MLU. The image seems capture by Japanese patrol when this ship part of PLAN flotilla crossing Japanese strait.

I put it in Russian Navy thread, as Russia again should swallow their pride and use Chinese cues on how upgrading ex Soviet naval assets. Chinese already done good job on upgrading Soviet build carrier and now seems also Soviet build destroyers. At least from external arrangements the VLS, and sensors arrangements up dated on current standard.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 50420

It is already circulating in Chinese online media and forums for couple of months. This is image one of PLAN Sovremeny that just finished the MLU. The image seems capture by Japanese patrol when this ship part of PLAN flotilla crossing Japanese strait.

I put it in Russian Navy thread, as Russia again should swallow their pride and use Chinese cues on how upgrading ex Soviet naval assets. Chinese already done good job on upgrading Soviet build carrier and now seems also Soviet build destroyers. At least from external arrangements the VLS, and sensors arrangements up dated on current standard.
Russia's 956 fleet is done. They're not coming back into service because Russia can't keep their powerplants running. Russia will upgrade the 1155 destroyers, and we already know how. The Kh-35 will replace the old Rastrub, one gun turret will be replaced by Kalibr cells, and improvements to the sensors and comms. There are rumors of a more ambitious version of this same upgrade, and there is much to criticize in a design that retains a navalized Tor as the main air defense system for a destroyer in the 2020s. But Chinese experience with the 956s doesn't help here.

Scott Elaurant

This article is from the Barents Sea Observer, a publication from northern Norway that reports on the Arctic Ocean including the Kola Peninsul.

The article suggests that the old Soviet battlecruiser Pyotr Velikiy may be scrapped. The sistership has been in dock for several years with no sign of recommissioning. Pyotr Velikiy was due to follow it in 2024. These ships are old with big crews and would be costly to maintain and operate.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
This article is from the Barents Sea Observer, a publication from northern Norway that reports on the Arctic Ocean including the Kola Peninsul.

The article suggests that the old Soviet battlecruiser Pyotr Velikiy may be scrapped. The sistership has been in dock for several years with no sign of recommissioning. Pyotr Velikiy was due to follow it in 2024. These ships are old with big crews and would be costly to maintain and operate.
One correction. The Nakhimov is practically guaranteed to return to service. Major upgrades have been performed and work is nearing completion. The rumor is that the Nakhimov will be the new flagship and Peter the Great instead of getting the same upgrade treatment will be scrapped. They cite costs, the time it would take, as well as the fact that components for the Nakhimov upgrade were mostly produced last decade, and you would have to start again for Peter the Great. One might logically state that they should scrap both ships and spend the money on more frigates, but the bottleneck for frigates is the production speed, not the cost, especially with sanctions making certain things harder to source.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The new corvette Merkury 535 was commissioned into the Black Sea Fleet on 15 May.
Is it actually not possible to sail a ship from this size from Kaliningrad to the Black Sea via rivers and channels?
No. Even the much smaller 21631s require removing the masts. And they're particularly flat-bottomed, causing stability issues on the open seas.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Screenshot_2023-05-18-10-02-19-209_cn.wps.moffice_eng.jpg

@Feanor from some of the studies on Russian waterways, shown they can manage vessels with 4m draft. Which according to dimension of 20380 still capable to use it. Also the channels locks systems seems still capable to handle Ship on that dimension.

Is there something that I miss on the capabilities of Russian Inland Waterways handling ships size of 20380? Cause if not mistaken ships that size still capable moving on that waterway systems. I believe this is why Turkish build Corvettes being taken by Caspian sea nations which basically use that part of inland waterway systems to transport those Corvettes from Black Sea to Caspian. Those Turkish build Corvettes I believe in similar dimensions with 20380.

The study that I see say that since 90's to early 2000 the locks systems especially from St. Petersburg already being enlarged to enable naval sizes up to Corvettes to use it. Is there something new development happening in waterway systems?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 50509

@Feanor from some of the studies on Russian waterways, shown they can manage vessels with 4m draft. Which according to dimension of 20380 still capable to use it. Also the channels locks systems seems still capable to handle Ship on that dimension.

Is there something that I miss on the capabilities of Russian Inland Waterways handling ships size of 20380? Cause if not mistaken ships that size still capable moving on that waterway systems. I believe this is why Turkish build Corvettes being taken by Caspian sea nations which basically use that part of inland waterway systems to transport those Corvettes from Black Sea to Caspian. Those Turkish build Corvettes I believe in similar dimensions with 20380.

The study that I see say that since 90's to early 2000 the locks systems especially from St. Petersburg already being enlarged to enable naval sizes up to Corvettes to use it. Is there something new development happening in waterway systems?
I have no specifics. But I know that all 20380s have to sail around, and that the 21631s have to have their masts removed to pass through, due to height. Maybe height not depth is the issue.

vonnoobie

I have no specifics. But I know that all 20380s have to sail around, and that the 21631s have to have their masts removed to pass through, due to height. Maybe height not depth is the issue.
Is from wiki but says the Volga-Don canal has a maximum depth rating of 3.6m, and maximum height above sea level of 44m. 20380's with a draft of 3.7m would require quite a bit to be stripped off to reduce weight (and draft) and transported then reattached at the end to have any chance (not impossible but unlikely).

swerve

Super Moderator
Vessel dimensions depend on the waterway. The Volga-Don canal is given by official Russian sources as having a guaranteed depth of 4 metres, but that does not mean a vessel with 4 metres draught can get through. It needs some water under its hull. IMC gave two points with reduced depth in 2007, & more recent reports comment on the canal being in poor condition with reduced depth in places. Also, the Volga-Don canal is closed in winter.

http://archive.premier.gov.ru/eng/visits/ru/6044/info/1589/print/
Volga-Don Shipping Canal - International Marine Consultancy
Volga-Don Canal, Last Great Stalin Project, Desperately Needs Updating or Replacement

I have some experience with canal boats, starting when I was 14, but much smaller ones on smaller canals in the UK.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
IMC gave two points with reduced depth in 2007, & more recent reports comment on the canal being in poor condition with reduced depth in places.

This report from 2018 shown Russian conducting large scale dredging operations toward their Inland Waterways to return the capacity and add some more.

This 2022 assessment Global inland waterways asses Russia waterways guarantee depth is around 4.5m. Not much different then previous studies that I see from other sources. 20380 draft talk below 4m (3.7m). So if Feanor shown all 20380 so far sent to Black Sea through round trip through Mediterranean, then I suspect either they're not finish all the dredging work, or some physical obstacles (like bridges) that create heights barriers.

Either way the water diplomat studies shown problem right now in Black Sea going to push Russia more on increasing capacity of those waterways. I do suspect the southern routes between Caspian to Black Sea in better conditions, as Turkish made corvettes can use it when delivered to Caspian customers.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The VMF are trialling new camouflage on their ships.

New sub designs being put forward for the VMF.

Naval News article from last year about it.

Sandhi Yudha

It seems that the Russian Navy and/or the Ministry of Defence are reading Defencetalk posts, and specially the ones from @Feanor .

Severnaya Verf and the Amur Shipbuilding Plant will continue serial production of ships from Project 20380 and Project 20385, but the Derzky, the lead ship of the Project 20386 class, will remain the sole vessel of its class.

So no more Projects 20386 ships will be constructed in the current form, but there is a possibility that a modified version will be created in the future.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems that the Russian Navy and/or the Ministry of Defence are reading Defencetalk posts, and specially the ones from @Feanor .

Severnaya Verf and the Amur Shipbuilding Plant will continue serial production of ships from Project 20380 and Project 20385, but the Derzky, the lead ship of the Project 20386 class, will remain the sole vessel of its class. With other

So no more Projects 20386 ships will be constructed in the current form, but there is a possibility that a modified version will be created in the future.

I don't think they're reading this forum. A number of commentators in Russian circles have been quite harsh about the 20386. And it's a project that costs a lot and brings fairly little to the table. Even it's alleged modularity hasn't really paid off. Russia has 6 22160 patrol boats with the same capability in service and how often is their "modularity" getting used? One good thing for the Russian military from the current war is a number of reality checks.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

Russian Black Sea Fleet has gotten their first 22800 small missile ship, the Cyclone. It's another Kalibr platform, but I don't think the bottleneck is the number of launchers. It does carry a Pantsyr so it offers some capability to the fleet beyond a missile barge, and the 22800s have much better seaworthiness then the 21631 class.

The Black Sea Fleet has officially received their first 20380, technically a modified variant with the Zaslon radar mast. Note it's unclear whether it will be able to physically join the Black Sea Fleet.

A recent presentation included photos of the under construction 11711Ms. While they share a project number with the 11711s currently in service (all 2 of them) they're effectively a new ship. They will also be the large new surface combatant the VMF will receive in 20+ years at ~8000 tonns.

The 11th 12700 mine trawler has been laid down. Lack of modern mine trawlers is a major problem for the VMF, and one that these ships do not resolve, though they are an improvement.

Another 20385 corvette has been laid down at the Amur yards. So far the 20380 shipbuilding program has been relatively successful, giving the Baltic Fleet, and now the Pacific Fleet, a considerable number of relatively modern surface warships. The Pacific Fleet in particular has many SLBM subs to protect, making the 20380/5s quite valuable in a defensive role.

Yama

No. Even the much smaller 21631s require removing the masts. And they're particularly flat-bottomed, causing stability issues on the open seas.
There was a Krivak-class frigate in Moscow, no? Much larger ship than 20380. Though undoubtedly much stripped down, and brought in via Northern canals, maybe they were able to accommodate a larger ship?