Russian Navy Discussions and Updates

The main Russian surface fleet project for the next decade will be Project 22350 Admiral Gorshkov.

Specifications
4500t
4000nm range @ 16kt
29kt top speed
30 day endurance
crew of 210

Armament
2*8 Yakhont
4*8 9M96 missiles (The is 9M96 one of the missiles the S-400 system uses.)
2*4 Medvedka 2 VLS ASW
2 Sosna CIAD
130mm A-192

Command and Control
Redut AA Suite

Sensors
Poliment K-Radar
Puma Fire Control Radar

The VLS Shtil-1 will be offered to export customers only. There's no concrete information about the command and control and sensors of Admiral Gorshkov.

The Russians want to procure 20 Project 22350 Admiral Gorshkov frigates.

If the Russians can fit the 32 9M96 missiles on the frigates,the frigates would be an excellent uses of the Russian Navy's limited resources. The Gorshkov frigates would be AAW/ASW frigates, and they could replace a wide range of vessels.

A kirov replacement design, and a Kuznetsov replacement. Remove the heavy antiship missiles and other space wasting equipment from the carrier replacement. Make the Kirov replacement have either conventional or nuclear propulsion, not both (steam + nuc)
I don't think the Russians have the budget for new carriers and Kirov replacements. The better use of the resources would be replacements for the Slavas.

Last edited:

tphuang

Super Moderator
The main Russian surface fleet project for the next decade will be Project 22350 Admiral Gorshkov.

Specifications
4500t
4000nm range @ 16kt
29kt top speed
30 day endurance
crew of 210

Armament
2*8 Yakhont
4*8 9M96 missiles (The is 9M96 one of the missiles the S-400 system uses.)
2*4 Medvedka 2 VLS ASW
2 Sosna CIAD
130mm A-192

Command and Control
Redut AA Suite

Sensors
Poliment K-Radar
Puma Fire Control Radar

The VLS Shtil-1 will be offered to export customers only. There's no concrete information about the command and control and sensors of Admiral Gorshkov.

The Russians want to procure 20 Project 22350 Admiral Gorshkov frigates.

If the Russians can fit the 32 9M96 missiles on the frigates,the frigates would be an excellent uses of the Russian Navy's limited resources. The Gorshkov frigates would be AAW/ASW frigates, and they could replace a wide range of vessels.

I don't think the Russians have the budget for new carriers and Kirov replacements. The better use of the resources would be replacements for the Slavas.
I really doubt it will carry 16 Onyx (let's use this, since Yakhont is a downgraded version), most sources indicate 8.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does anybody have details about the modernizations of these to ships?

Ochakov (Kara Class Cruiser)

Vice Admiral Kulakov (Second Udaloy Class Destroyer)

Firehorse

Banned Member
Ochakov:
This article- http://www.nr2.ru/crimea/183017.html- says: "The life-extension work, which is 3 years behind schedule, will keep it in service for 15-20 more years. ..After the overhaul is complete, the ship may become the flagship of the BSF, replacing Moskva." No specifics are given, but "the ship will be able to perform in any area of the World Ocean".
Related tread- http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=136415

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJoEe7Ul6nk"]YouTube - project 1134B (KARA class) "OCHAKOV"[/ame]

Vice Admiral Kulakov:
The Vitse-Admiral Kulakov has been in refit since 1992, and had not returned to service as of mid-2008. The Marshal Vasil'yevsky had been expected by some observers to decommission as early as 2004 or 2005, but by mid 2008 this unit remained in service. It may be that Vitse-Admiral Kulakov will conclude refit and resume active service when Marshal Vasil'yevsky is finally retired. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/1155_1.htm
Related tread-
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117677

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nevidimka one Typhoon is a test bed for the Bulava. If the missile is successful but the Deltas have to go early, then the testbed, along with two other boats, may be reconfigured to carry the Bulava. However from the looks of it the Bulava is not even ready for a flight test at the moment, while the first Borei (YD) is due to begin sea trials. At this rate there will be plenty of Borei's before there are enough Bulava's to go around.

nevidimka

Nevidimka one Typhoon is a test bed for the Bulava. If the missile is successful but the Deltas have to go early, then the testbed, along with two other boats, may be reconfigured to carry the Bulava. However from the looks of it the Bulava is not even ready for a flight test at the moment, while the first Borei (YD) is due to begin sea trials. At this rate there will be plenty of Borei's before there are enough Bulava's to go around.

What seems to be the problem of the Bulava? The Land version Topol is a highly successful missile.

if the test bed is successful, the Navy might upgrade the other 2 typhoons to carry the Bulava as well. I believe upgrading what they have right now is cheaper than building newer Borei's. I with the funds available now, the emphasis seems to be on maintaining whatever capable weapon system that they have and complement with newer design's if they are available. The Kirov class seems to follow this ideal.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no idea what it's problems are but this is an excellent site in terms of Russian nuclear and space affairs. Bulava has not made nearly enough successful tests to be accepted into service.

russianforces.org

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
One thing i have noticed looking at the armament of the russian navy ships is that the only ships capable of Area air defense seem to be the Slava and Kirov class cruisers with the S-300/S-400 system, all the other ship classes seem to be equiped with at the maximum, local area air defense systems.

So, i would suggest that these ships will remain in service, with as many others returned to service as possible, until the Russian Navy can afford to replace them with another platform with similar capabilities.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
They're the center pieces for the IADS of the VMF. This is why I'm strongly in favor of seeing a further development of the Kirov class.

Gollevainen

the corporal
Verified Defense Pro
are you sure that's for Onyx? I mean I don't know what those ASW missile launchers look like.
Yeas. If you compare the two different VLS system, the one more closer to the bow is for the SAM system based most likely around 9M96 missiles (32 carried) and the one's behind are for much larger missile which cannot be other than Onix. Medvedka (RPK-9) which is sometimes linked to this design is small missile, far smaller than the 9M96 so it wont be launched from VLS which has bigger tubes than the SAM system.

And one should note that all the preminary drawings and models of the pr. 2235 only places VLS to the bow, there is no room for additional VLS in other parts of the ship.

Firehorse

Banned Member
They could probably go to the Black Sea as well- I don't think there would be any restrictions for them, as it's not a true carrier (official designation-TAKR), and Russia is a Black Sea nation. The writing is on the wall for Ukrainian nationalists!

Russia to send naval squadron, planes to Venezuela
http://wiredispatch.com/news/?id=335431

..the Peter the Great missile cruiser and three other Russian navy ships would visit Venezuela before the year's end, and would be joined by a unit of long-range anti-submarine patrol aircraft.
He did not say how many planes would be sent, but said they would be "temporarily based at one of Venezuela's air bases."
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez had announced the maneuvers in his Sunday television and radio program, saying the Russian vessels would call on Venezuelan ports in late November or December.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
They could probably go to the Black Sea as well- I don't think there would be any restrictions for them, as it's not a true carrier (official designation-TAKR), and Russia is a Black Sea nation. The writing is on the wall for Ukrainian nationalists!

Quote:
Russia to send naval squadron, planes to Venezuela
http://wiredispatch.com/news/?id=335431

..the Peter the Great missile cruiser and three other Russian navy ships would visit Venezuela before the year's end, and would be joined by a unit of long-range anti-submarine patrol aircraft.
He did not say how many planes would be sent, but said they would be "temporarily based at one of Venezuela's air bases."
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez had announced the maneuvers in his Sunday television and radio program, saying the Russian vessels would call on Venezuelan ports in late November or December.
With the noise in South America about the US 4th Fleet, I wonder what will be said about the Russian Squadron coming down from even a longer way off. Pres Chavez and Russia will have some justification I'm sure.

Having a Kirov BCGN in the South Atlantic should turn a few heads. With (3) other ships at least one will be a refueling tanker and I wonder if there will be a SSN in the group.

A big concern will be if the BCGN can make it down and back without breaking down. The Med cruise had her within a days steaming to any port, but an Atlantic crossing will see a different story. Good thing they plan to steam down at the tail end of hurricane season.

Firehorse

Banned Member
Last edited: