Russian Navy Discussions and Updates

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back in the old days Stalin would have already had a few people shot for this and he'd be adding more to the list for shooting. At least that has changed for the better. Hopefully the accident is not a result of carelessness on somebodies part.
There are people in Russia who un-ironically say that if there was a Stalin to deal with the incompetence, things like this wouldn't happen. There is even an expression in Russia "Сталина на вас нету". It literally means "There's no Stalin to deal with you", implying... ;)

Sandhi Yudha

Here some interesting videos from Project 22800.
The first one is from Uragan 567, uploaded one year ago.
The second is from Shkval 584, posted in may this year.
The third one is from Burya 578, posted on 24 October. Burya was launched on 23 October, so its really a very recent one.

All three videos give us some nice birdviews and a better look on all the vessels.
So it seems Pella Shipyard from Sankt Petersburg is quite productive.
I just wonder if there is a system/logic sequence of the registration numbers on the hulls.

As a bonus here a video of Uragan 567 under sea trials, posted in May 2018.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The third one is from Burya 578, posted on 24 October. Burya was launched on 23 October, so its really a very recent one.

All three videos give us some nice birdviews and a better look on all the vessels.
I just wonder if there is a system/logic sequence of the registration numbers on the hulls.

It's an interesting design, very toothy for its size, especially the variant with the Pantsyr. However it appears that Zvezda is having difficulties producing engines fast enough, so some of these vessels will be waiting for their engine for some time. Allegedly Zvezda can only produce one engine per year.

Sandhi Yudha

There are people in Russia who un-ironically say that if there was a Stalin to deal with the incompetence, things like this wouldn't happen. There is even an expression in Russia "Сталина на вас нету". It literally means "There's no Stalin to deal with you", implying... ;)
It seems that the damage is not that dramatic...
Damage Sustained by Russian Aircraft Carrier During Dock Sinking Revealed

https://sputniknews.com/russia/201811041069500916-admiral-kuznetsov-photos/

DaveS124

BREAKING NEWS

Russian navy has engaged Ukrainian fleet in the Black Sea. Reports that Ivan has seized at least three ships, and fired on others.

Story unfolding, and pointless to post a link at the moment - just Google it.

KiwiRob

The new Pella Yard is easily the most impressive small boat shipyard I’ve ever been to. It’s like an automotive production line on a much larger scale.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The new Pella Yard is easily the most impressive small boat shipyard I’ve ever been to. It’s like an automotive production line on a much larger scale.
Pella is probably the most reliable one in Russia. I hope they get the contract for the next batch of 20380 corvettes, so they can learn to build larger warships.

EDIT: Though knowing all the politics surrounding industry in Russia, UAC will attempt to swallow them again.

KiwiRob

That was blocked last time, same as the ownership swap between Nevisky and Arctech Helsinki.

USC should be looking to sell a lot off it’s holdings in the various yards, they are really struggling to find domestic suppliers that can fill the holes left by all the foreign suppliers who are either following US sanctions or if they aren’t following the sanctions there banks are and won’t accept payments from USC owned yards.

It’s a disaster for Russian shipbuilding.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes the Pella yard seems a really impressive facility. Those Karakurt Corvettes look pretty capable minor combatants with six to be added to the Pacific fleet early next decade. Did you get any idea what they were going to build next at Pella as the remaining Karakurt's are to be built elsewhere?

KiwiRob

I haven’t been there for a couple of years, due to sanctions we are no longer allowed to sell to Russian navy projects so I don’t really know what is being built where anymore. They are going to start building a series of trawlers, long liners and crab catchers, the Russian fishing fleet is undergoing a massive modernisation, yards which have only recently built military vessels are now build fishing vessels, Turkish and Croatian yards are getting Russian fishing vessels orders as well.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes the Pella yard seems a really impressive facility. Those Karakurt Corvettes look pretty capable minor combatants with six to be added to the Pacific fleet early next decade. Did you get any idea what they were going to build next at Pella as the remaining Karakurt's are to be built elsewhere?
Good question. They will still have Raptor and Grachonok contracts for small boats, but once they finish their 21631s and 22800s, they're out of larger warship contracts. They do have a couple of contracts for fishing trawlers, and are even building a second yard in the far east. I think the smartest thing the MoD could do is slowly feed them larger and larger contracts.

EDIT: Though actual induction of the 22800's is going to be slow. Zvezda is apparently incapable of producing the powerplants fast enough.

USC ownership will be handed over to Rostec. The plan is for USC to have 100% russian made ships by 2035. Russian foreign reserves are approaching 500 billion, and Russian banks are loaded with cash, finances are not a problem. The Russians will have to keep buying most of their major commericals ships from abroad. The Navy modernization is going very badly, but Russia is not China, (which gets vast volumes of its commodities from abroad) a large blue water navy it not important at present. In 10 to 15 that will probably change with increases in Russian exports to a Africa and other places around the world.

Akula could be sailing for another 25-30 years

I could easily see an average of more 20 for the 1988- beyond ssn and ssgn. But 25-30 more years for the Spike Bs seems like a major stretch.

Эксперт предложил перевооружить подлодки «Акула» с баллистических ракет на крылатые | Еженедельник «Военно-промышленный курьер»

There should be 4 partially finished Anteys at Sevmash; the anteys or. building more borei would be much be options than the Akula ssbn.

I will wait and see on 24 uksk on the 23350.

Análisis Militares: El gráfico de las previsiones de buques a recibir por la Armada Rusa en 2019 (actualizado)

A chart of what. Russian Navy ships should be commissioned this year. Its probably missing a Lada ssk.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some realistic plans have finally been set for the VMF. Two more project 22350 frigates are being laid down, and two modified project 11711 LPDs. While they share their project number with the 11711 Ivan Gren type landing ships, they appear to be Rotterdam-style LPDs. It's possible that this is the result of the Priboy project that was leaked (or "leaked) to the public earlier. Basing it on the 11711 large landing ship is probably wiser then trying to design a whole new ship from scratch. Realistically a VMF with project 22350 frigates as their workhorse, and slightly enlarged 11711s with a helo deck serving as LPDs is a realistic (though optimistic) image of future VMF. Much more so then massive nuclear powered "destroyers" (cruisers)and multiple aircraft carriers. Also the first 20385, and the second 22350 have set out on factory trials. If the VMF leadership has any sense, they'll continue the 20380/20385 series instead of banking on the complex, and overly expensive, but under-armed, 20386. Interestingly the VMF is calling the 20386 a corvette, but it's closer to a light frigate in size.

Фрегат "Адмирал Касатонов" и корвет "Гремящий" вышли на заводские ходовые испытания
Русский «Мистраль»

EDIT: Apparently the two new 22350-s are a modified variant with 24 VLS cells.

Заложены фрегаты «Адмирал Амелько» и «Адмирал Чичагов» проекта 22350

EDIT2: Some more materials on the two new LPDs, which Russia is still classifying as BDKs (Large Landing Ships).

Закладка больших десантных кораблей «Владимир Андреев» и «Василий Трушин»

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member