Russian Naval Build Up in Med

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure where I said there IS such a thing as a system that can't be overwhelmed but feel free to put words into my mouth if it makes you feel better about yourself. Your idea of 20 Harpoons vs 20 Yakhonts is funny. I'm sure that's exactly how such an engagement would go.

If you think missile speed is the primary arbiter of what is going to happen then I don't know what to tell you.

hellfire88

Not sure where I said there IS such a thing as a system that can't be overwhelmed but feel free to put words into my mouth if it makes you feel better about yourself. Your idea of 20 Harpoons vs 20 Yakhonts is funny. I'm sure that's exactly how such an engagement would go.

If you think missile speed is the primary arbiter of what is going to happen then I don't know what to tell you.
Man ,easy easy i never said that these words come out from your mouth , i just put an analysis from my point of view , if you want to reply to it it's ok , if you don't it's ok too :p:

Last edited:

PCShogun

I was under the impression that this force was sent to evacuate Russian citizens from Syria in the event that a U.S. attack were to be conducted. The force composition would make sense for this mission.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Until there is an engagement for real I guess we will never know. The Russians must have faith that they are not carrying obsolete weaponry; could it be that they have refined their missiles to be capable of violent end manoeuvres, or are they relying on the inability of the US Fleets to cope with a saturation attack?

Presumably the Chinese fleets possess similar weaponry to the Russian vessels?
You're either doing mach 3 or you're manoeuvring, not both...

It's true that a high speed missile covers ground more swiftly but the missile itself will be a brighter IR target, less capable of making terminal changes in approach height and angle, and more vulnerable to minor impacts (objects travelling at high mach numbers unravel very dramatically due to aerodynamic heating effects amongst others)

And finally, a mach 3 or 4 missile tends to either pack a smaller warhead or have less range for the same weight of missile compared to something a bit slower.

It's a tradeoff is what I'm saying.

This is by the by - the Russian force composition is aimed at extracting Russian citizens still in Syria, not taking on the US.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is by the by - the Russian force composition is aimed at extracting Russian citizens still in Syria, not taking on the US.
I think there are 3 goals being pursued.

1) Possible evacuation of Russian citizens/assets (embassy for example).
2) Observation of US and other NATO members operations to gather intel (that's why the Priazovye ELINT ship is there for example)
3) Cover/protection for the "Syrian Express", the BDK Николай Фильченко ferrying special cargo from Russia to Syria on a regular basis.

Meanwhile a Russian ASW destroyer as entered the Red Sea, with the stated mission of "observing the Nimitz aircraft carrier" and two other BDKs have left Novorossiysk, carrying material cargo (i.e. not marines). Also the Varyag cruiser will be replacing the Moscow in the near future, while the Moscow returns to Sevastopol.

ИТÐÐ*-ТÐСС : Большой противолодочный корабль "Ðдмирал Пантелеев" воÑ&710;ел в КраÑное море

2) Observation of US and other NATO members operations to gather intel (that's why the Priazovye ELINT ship is there for example)
how much could this factor into operations, if the course escalated into conflict? is it significant enough for the US forces to behave differently than if opposing ELINT assets were not in place?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
how much could this factor into operations, if the course escalated into conflict? is it significant enough for the US forces to behave differently than if opposing ELINT assets were not in place?
Overall? I doubt it. Probably some additional electronic security measures.

Meanwhile an update on the state of affairs. This details long-range VMF deployments around the world. In the East Mediterranean there is now one cruiser (Moscow), one destroyer, and one SKR (Frigate). There's 6 Large Landing Ships, and a handful of support vessels. The Priazovye ELINT ship is still sitting there. Another destroyer, with a tanker, are in the Red Sea. And the Varyag Cruiser is on it's way to relieve the Moscow, it's currently in the Indian Ocean. So overall the VMF is maintaining the same level of presence, for a considerable period of time, which is impressive considering how strained VMF resources are.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BjIlycU_I...3R0A/s1600/armada+rusa+planeta+1+oct+2013.jpg

Jonton

Could this military buildup have anything to do with fighting piracy? Considering the Syria situation and the pirate attacks worldwide, it might be more useful to base more Russian units in the Med where they can easily sail through the Suez Canal. Northern Russia isn't as important as it used to be. But then again, piracy seems to be on the decline: Number of pirate attacks worldwide 2006 to 2013 | Statistic

PCShogun

If piracy were their motive I would suspect that they are on the wrong side of the Suez Canal. Most piracy has been reported in the areas of Ethiopia, Somalia, and out into the Arabian Sea.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could this military buildup have anything to do with fighting piracy? Considering the Syria situation and the pirate attacks worldwide, it might be more useful to base more Russian units in the Med where they can easily sail through the Suez Canal. Northern Russia isn't as important as it used to be. But then again, piracy seems to be on the decline: Number of pirate attacks worldwide 2006 to 2013 | Statistic
No. It has nothing to do with piracy, and everything to do with support for Syria.

EDIT: Minor correction, currently the VMF taskforce includes the Varyag and Moskva cruisers, Petr Velikiy heavy cruiser, and an ASW frigate, the Smetliviy.

In the Indian Ocean and near the Middle East are two ASW Destroyers, and two large landing ships.

http://navy-korabel.livejournal.com/30926.html

Last edited: