Russian MIG-29 Shoots Georgian UAV

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
You can't but you said the speed seriusly effects shoting down the target but the prototype shot the drone with 3 mach speed , how can you explain that then?
Sure.
I am talking about very low speed. What speed does a Hermes usually have? Less than 200km/h I expect. Together with a small radar and IR footprint it shouldn't be that easy to track and shoot it.

You need to get close to get a good ID and than track it with your R-73. But when you are close you can't just take all the time you need in the 6 o'clock position of the UAV because it is way slower than your own minimum speed.
Maybe the MiG pilot attacked from a lower height because he wanted to have the best contrast between the IR signature of the Hermes and the sky.

Wouldn't have looked all that good if they needed more than one missile while being videotaped.

XaNDeR

Thats probably true missiles really arent that smart , but I wonder why he choose to attack from below when he could have attacked from above with very similar outcome and be sure to not get on the camera since there is almost no chance that the drone would have its cam up towards the sky?

Dr Freud

There are 2 answers to that, that has already been posted.

Falstaff=Bullying doesn't have any sense if the victim doesn't know who's bullying- school bully's wisdom...

Waylander=Maybe the MiG pilot attacked from a lower height because he wanted to have the best contrast between the IR signature of the Hermes and the sky.

Personally i wonder why he spent an expensive missile on something that would've been a good cannon-target that couldnt shoot back.

How much for an IR missile ?

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
But maybe he feared the debris of the destroyed UAV.

Remember that the UAV is much slower than the MiG so a pilot has to be carefull not to hit what is left of the UAV after he hit it with his cannon.

Chrom

conclusive.

EDIT: What I'm trying to get at is if indeed it was a Russian MiG, is it likely to have been a Russian MiG the first time around also?
Theoretically Igla MANPAD have enough range to shot down UAV if it dont fly at max altitude or launcher sit on some hills.

Also Abkhazian border is a kind of demilitarized zone, and no Georgian forces, aircrafts, UAV, etc is allowed there per signed treaty. So Georgia clearly violate the rules here - not the first time, but first time they openly admitted that.

Shooting down UAV by Russia is somewhat grey area - from one side Russia is responsible for maintaining demilitarized zone around Abkhazia, from the other side i think only light forces are allowed in peacekeeping mission per Georgia-Russia-Abkhazia treaty.

Either way, lifting off 10-years old sanctions against Abkhazia and S. Osetia by Russia is a clear intention to give S. Osetia a status similar to Taiwan or Hon-Kong.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Does Russia has some kind of SAM system operating from Abkhazian territory?
Could very well be also the reason why the Georgians lost their first UAV.

windscorpion

The UAV was claimed, i think, to be interior ministry operated, in some countries that wouldn't count as a military vehicle (it can get more blurry in some other states though).

Chrom

Does Russia has some kind of SAM system operating from Abkhazian territory?
Could very well be also the reason why the Georgians lost their first UAV.
No, at least not officially. But theoretically, Russia can use radars and even SAM's from own territory. Abkhazia is very small in size...

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chrom, Abkhazia already is in a situation like Taiwan. (with the small exception that they're not an economic powerhouse)

So we've got two options: either it was a Russian MiG or the video is fake (after all the UN Security Council didn't buy the Georgian story). It is plausible for Abkhazian AD to have shot it down, though differing claims between Russia and Abkhazia (Russia claims it was AD, Abkhazia claims it was an L-39) make it less likely. Finally it's not the first incident, so it's likely the Georgians prepared for it this time.

Ozzy Blizzard

Hmm, compare a pen size laser pointer designed to point at something vs a MTHEL that in best case fits in the largest avaliable truck, designed to destroy incoming missiles...or a hand held police speed-radar gun vs AWAC.

This analogue is flawed, they have different goal and purpose.
The point i was making is one of scale and technological advancement, which you obviously missed.

Both satellite and plane mounted IR detectors will want to be as sensitive as possible, in order to detect at as far range as possible.
So you think a 30 year old analogue missile seeker and a brand new satalite sized system should be comperable in capability becasue they both have the same goal, to be as capable as possible, without considering the difference in cost? That is a flawed line of logic my friend.

Just because two systems are designed to be as capable as possible (which they are not, there are designed to do to very different jobs with two different sets of cost consitraints) does not somehow mean they will be comperable in capability, when they are totally different in terms of scale and sophistocation.

Look at the difference in ARH misille vs AEW&C capability. Again a contemporary ARH missile like AMRAAM may have a detection footprint vs a fighter of maybe 20km~30km. Modern AEW&C ~500km. An order of magnitude of difference. Same thing, i tiny little analogue seeker in a 100kg (seeker weight may be 5~10kgs) missile vs a several hundred kg IIR sensor with a much larger apature and proscessing capability. Pluss the most important point, the analogue seeker in the R-73 was designed in the 1970's and wasnt particularly world beating at the time, SBIRS sensors will be 2 generations more advanced.

Perhapse the most pertinant comparison would be between an FPA IIR seeker like those equiping the AIM-9X and SBIRS because they are actually technogically comperable. Lets say the AIM 9X seeker can detect a target at 40km in a clear air mass, to detect the same target from LEO (lets say ~500km) SBIRS would only have to be 10~15 times more capable, and the satelite would easilly be 10~15 times larger (probably significantly more that that). And of cource SBRIS would be technologically much more advanced that the AIM-9X's FPA seeker, and would cost a heap more in normalised terms. Now replace the AIm-X's FPA IIR seeker with the less advanced R-73's analogue seeker. Get the picture?

Basically its a much larger system and its a much more advanced system.

This leaves it up to how large is the detector, and what obstacles in their respective environment.
No it doesent, what matters is the generic capability of your system, the size, type & sensitivity of the apature and sohistocation of both the sensor itself and the prosessing power of the computers. Only if all of those things are equal (and they aren't, not by a long shot), then the differecnece in operateing environement should be considered.

Obstacles such as cloud cover in the observed atmosphere, and the fraction of ultra-high energy cosmic ray events that may be expected to occur in volumes of the viewed atmosphere non-obscured by clouds, and last but not least, background, sky or ground.
And your point is?

Apart from some specifics of the environment of space, the difference in operational environment is minimal. i.e. they're both looking at the same sky.

It is unrealistic that one of these systems is 1000 times better then the other.
30%, at best, either way, sounds more reasonable.
You think a satelite sized IIR sensor that is still under development by the US DOD that will cost over $10 billion will be 30% more capable than a 1970's vintage, 3~7kg, analogue, missile seeker which is 2 generations less advanced? Are you frigging kidding me?

Bullying doesn't have any sense if the victim doesn't know who's bullying- school bully's wisdom...
They would have known it was the russians from the radar track.

merocaine

Quote: Originally Posted by Dr Freud View Post
Hmm, compare a pen size laser pointer designed to point at something vs a MTHEL that in best case fits in the largest avaliable truck, designed to destroy incoming missiles...or a hand held police speed-radar gun vs AWAC.

This analogue is flawed, they have different goal and purpose.

The point i was making is one of scale and technological advancement, which you obviously missed.

Quote:
Both satellite and plane mounted IR detectors will want to be as sensitive as possible, in order to detect at as far range as possible.

So you think a 30 year old analogue missile seeker and a brand new satalite sized system should be comperable in capability becasue they both have the same goal, to be as capable as possible, without considering the difference in cost? That is a flawed line of logic my friend.

Just because two systems are designed to be as capable as possible (which they are not, there are designed to do to very different jobs with two different sets of cost consitraints) does not somehow mean they will be comperable in capability, when they are totally different in terms of scale and sophistocation.

Look at the difference in ARH misille vs AEW&C capability. Again a contemporary ARH missile like AMRAAM may have a detection footprint vs a fighter of maybe 20km~30km. Modern AEW&C ~500km. An order of magnitude of difference. Same thing, i tiny little analogue seeker in a 100kg (seeker weight may be 5~10kgs) missile vs a several hundred kg IIR sensor with a much larger apature and proscessing capability. Pluss the most important point, the analogue seeker in the R-73 was designed in the 1970's and wasnt particularly world beating at the time, SBIRS sensors will be 2 generations more advanced.

Perhapse the most pertinant comparison would be between an FPA IIR seeker like those equiping the AIM-9X and SBIRS because they are actually technogically comperable. Lets say the AIM 9X seeker can detect a target at 40km in a clear air mass, to detect the same target from LEO (lets say ~500km) SBIRS would only have to be 10~15 times more capable, and the satelite would easilly be 10~15 times larger (probably significantly more that that). And of cource SBRIS would be technologically much more advanced that the AIM-9X's FPA seeker, and would cost a heap more in normalised terms. Now replace the AIm-X's FPA IIR seeker with the less advanced R-73's analogue seeker. Get the picture?

Basically its a much larger system and its a much more advanced system.

Quote:
This leaves it up to how large is the detector, and what obstacles in their respective environment.

No it doesent, what matters is the generic capability of your system, the size, type & sensitivity of the apature and sohistocation of both the sensor itself and the prosessing power of the computers. Only if all of those things are equal (and they aren't, not by a long shot), then the differecnece in operateing environement should be considered.

Quote:
Obstacles such as cloud cover in the observed atmosphere, and the fraction of ultra-high energy cosmic ray events that may be expected to occur in volumes of the viewed atmosphere non-obscured by clouds, and last but not least, background, sky or ground.

And your point is?

Apart from some specifics of the environment of space, the difference in operational environment is minimal. i.e. they're both looking at the same sky.

Quote:
It is unrealistic that one of these systems is 1000 times better then the other.
30%, at best, either way, sounds more reasonable.

You think a satelite sized IIR sensor that is still under development by the US DOD that will cost over $10 billion will be 30% more capable than a 1970's vintage, 3~7kg, analogue, missile seeker which is 2 generations less advanced? Are you frigging kidding me?

Quote:
Bullying doesn't have any sense if the victim doesn't know who's bullying- school bully's wisdom...

They would have known it was the russians from the radar track.

Is this a round about way of saying that the R73 is so piss poor that it could only be sure of a hit if it fired from within 1/2 a klick?
I'm confused??

Ozzy Blizzard

Is this a round about way of saying that the R73 is so piss poor that it could only be sure of a hit if it fired from within 1/2 a klick?
I'm confused??
No no... Its not piss poor cus it couldnt get a good lock on a tinly UAV with a allmost non existent IR signature. Against a fighter with two reheated turbofans it'll do just fine. Its seeker is of a similar technological generation as the AIM-9L/M which is a damn good missile, but even the '9L had trouble getting a good tone (lock) on A4's that were throttled back in a head on shot (falklands) when the pilot could actually see the skyhawk out the window. So no shame it had to get close to get a lock on a little prop driven UAV, especially without a IIR seeker. As i said against a jet it would be a very different story.

The point is that SBIRS which is a satleite based IIR system should indeed be able to track and aircraft from LEO, and R-73's inability to get a multi kilometer lock on a small UAV has no bearing on that fact. Thats the point...;)

Dr Freud

I assumed the mig would launch before lock, based on the migs own up-to-snuff radar/IR sensors. Perhaps R-73 are not capable of that ? otoh why bother when the drone cant shoot back...

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
mig-39 looks nothing like l-39 and why would georgions do this for some sort of national attention against russian govt?
Because the Georgians want to remove the Russian peacekeeping troops that are effectively preventing Georgian military retaking of Abkhazia and S. Ossetia.

nevidimka

Thats a positive Mig 29 Of course. Btw what has the drone see that made the russians shoot it?

PLus thats 1 really awesome video I've seen from a very long time as well!