Russian Air Force News & Discussion

SolarWind

Thanks for the footage Haavarla.

Indeed the Su-35S+RVV-AE could become a game changer (if hostilities broke out). But I believe that it is more so due to the multiple track/engagement capability that the the aforementioned combo brings into play, than the range of the missile per se. The ECM pods are also a very interesting detail.

Do Russian forces have any AWAC/GCI dedicated platforms in Syria? I didn't find anything about that, but I do recall there being some ground based radars (besides the ones used by SAM batteries).
There has been a report of an A-50 AWACS flying over Syria:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...sia-flying-early-warning-aircraft-over-syria/
Russia operates 'Mainstay' AEW&Cs over Syria | IHS Jane's 360

I wonder if an A-50 can guide RVV-AE.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

Haavarla

Thanks for the footage Haavarla.

Indeed the Su-35S+RVV-AE could become a game changer (if hostilities broke out). But I believe that it is more so due to the multiple track/engagement capability that the the aforementioned combo brings into play, than the range of the missile per se. The ECM pods are also a very interesting detail.

Do Russian forces have any AWAC/GCI dedicated platforms in Syria? I didn't find anything about that, but I do recall there being some ground based radars (besides the ones used by SAM batteries).
My angle was that until now the Russians had only used medium and short range AAM in Syria.

The different type of weapons is what make such platform effective.
Me nitpicking a bit, but the RVV-AE is the export version of the R-77 and has a range of 80km.

I'm not sure, but those ECM pods on the Su-35S seems a bit smaller vs the ones carried by its sisters Su-30SM and Su-34's.
I'll look into it some more.

And speaking of weapons, another vid of Su-34 loaded up with a whole range if interesting weapons.

VKS is mostly using dumb bombs, and i think this line of approach is smart in the long run. Helps keeping the cost down and maintain an very high rate of sorties, that also keep the pressure on the enemy, thus giving them no breathing room to manuvere and operate.

Even with their limited numbers of jets, i can't help it.. i'm fairly impressed in what they achieving in Syria.

But they can and do use more sophisticated weapons like we see here in the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N25nBKD4yE0

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
My angle was that until now the Russians had only used medium and short range AAM in Syria.

The different type of weapons is what make such platform effective.
Me nitpicking a bit, but the RVV-AE is the export version of the R-77 and has a range of 80km.
Continuing to nitpick, this is actually the RVV-SD. They're all R-77 derivatives.

Kasatka

Feb 11 - Russian bomber shown carrying anti-shipping missile in Syria
The Russian Ministry of Defence has released a video of a Sukhoi Su-34 'Fullback' bomber carrying the new Kh-35U (NATO designation AS-20 'Kayak') anti-shipping missile on operations over Syria.
janes.com/article/57975/russian-bomber-shown-carrying-anti-shipping-missile-in-syria

Not a single clue why they would be sporting Kh-35's in Siria. Deterrance against whose naval assets? I know that Turkey has Arleigh Burke's, but not sure if they are in the theater of ops. Anyone got the video?

Feb 5 - Su -35C Landing (R-77, R-27T and R-73's ..)
youtube.com/watch?v=pjHMaIOsDKc

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 11 - Russian bomber shown carrying anti-shipping missile in Syria

janes.com/article/57975/russian-bomber-shown-carrying-anti-shipping-missile-in-syria

Not a single clue why they would be sporting Kh-35's in Siria. Deterrance against whose naval assets? I know that Turkey has Arleigh Burke's, but not sure if they are in the theater of ops. Anyone got the video?

Feb 5 - Su -35C Landing (R-77, R-27T and R-73's ..)
youtube.com/watch?v=pjHMaIOsDKc
There was rumor about an anti-ground variant of it. This might be an attempt to test it against ground targets in a combat environment. Syria has been a testing ground for many new Russian systems.

Haavarla

The point of VKS deploying such weapons is several fold;

They need to test and evaluate new weapons, Syra is perfect place for that.
Its also about sending a message out.
Syra is connected with Turkey, and if you follow the news, Russia and Turkey are not exactly on best relationship..
If Turkey was planning to do an blockade from sea etc

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I know that Turkey has Arleigh Burke's, but not sure if they are in the theater of ops.
They do? That's news to the Turks.

I don't even think they've talked about buying a surface-combatant that big (at least not seriously)

Kasatka

They do? That's news to the Turks.

I don't even think they've talked about buying a surface-combatant that big (at least not seriously)
Thanks for pointing that out, seems I had my info completely wrong on that topic.

Now that you mention it, do they even have a ship with enough surface to air capability as to threaten Russian aviation? Feanor's comment about the Kh-35 in the video being a land attack variant, makes much more sense for me now.

On the other hand, old news already but seems Russia has stationed one of its Tu-214R in Latakia (source: theaviationist.com).

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys we have a thread dedicated to the events in Syria. Please take the discussion there. Much of what you're posting here has been posted there.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great photoset from the 924th UAV Center. Note all the UAVs are tactical ones, nothing bigger then the Israeli Searcher Mk2. Note also the variety of types. The photos at the end are UAVs being operated by graduates of the center in various areas. Proliferation of smaller man-portable UAVs in the Russian military is continuing at a rapid pace, but even something comparable to the Predator is still a ways off.

924-й Центр беÑпилотной авиации МО РФ - nortwolf_sam

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

Haavarla

They are definitely not the first Tu-160M, several of those have been handed over already. They are probably the first Tu-160M2.
Yeah, i don't think they are new airframes eighter.. i thought they had completed and delivered all unfinished airframes they had on store years ago.
Could be wrong though..

If they are a part of M2 overhaul, they should be several tons lighter when completed. See A-50U.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The VVS has just ordered another 36 Su-30SM, bringing total domestic orders for the type to 116. 20 for the AVMF and the rest VVS. I can't help but wonder whether Khibiny EW pods will become standard on the wingtips the way they are for the Su-34. I hope so.

Контракт еще на 36 иÑтребителей Су-30СМ Ð´Ð»Ñ Ð’ÐšÐ¡ РоÑÑии - bmpd

Meanwhile technological cooperation is being set up on different subsystems for the Tu-160M2. I think we can basically assume that the PAK-DA is on the back burner. This is probably for the best. A Tu-160M2 should be more then sufficient for both strategic deterrence and long range cruise missile strikes.

http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/76086/