Russian Air Defenses

Klaus

@Feanor: with "older" I simply meant "older than the Tunguska" (I didn't konw yet that both systems entered service the same year).
Will all S-400 units be part of the Vozdushno-kosmicheskaya Oborona then?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Feanor: with "older" I simply meant "older than the Tunguska" (I didn't konw yet that both systems entered service the same year).
Will all S-400 units be part of the Vozdushno-kosmicheskaya Oborona then?
Yes. It seems that PVO SV is getting the S-300V4, the first btln of which was delivered this year. Although it is possible that in the future a tracked S-400V will be developed, right now it's not even planned.

Klaus

Two more battalions of S-400s will be delivered soon and probably be deployed to North-Western Russia. So this spring Russia will have six battalions (=3 regiments) with Triumf missiles in service.

I once heard that in total ten units shall be equipped with the Triumf. Does this refer to ten regiments or ten battalions?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
They will be deployed in Kaliningrad region, where they will replace the last S-200 unit left in Russian service. Supposedly they will be under VMF command, part of Coastal Troops.

CheefCoach

Probably both sides are exaggerating they capabilities. Russian air defense did prove them self that are good if they aren't challenged by SEAD...
F 117 is retired after he encounter Neva (SA 3)!

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Report: Russia deploys S-400 missiles in region bordering Poland, Lithuania - The Washington Post

Wasn't sure where to post this announcement of a S400 being deployed near Poland, I was under the impression that S400 wasn't yet operational.
The S-400 has been on combat duty since 2007 when the first unit was deployed near Moscow. A total of 6 btlns have been deployed so far, it seems. Allegedly another 3 btlns are to be deployed this year, though I think this is somewhat optimistic.

Also the best place for this discussion is the Russian Air Force thread, since the S-400 is being deployed to replace the S-300P and PM in service with the VVS. I believe we actually talked about the S-400 deployment in Kaliningrad in that thread.

EDIT: Actually scroll up two posts before yours. ;)

Sandhi Yudha

The S-500 long-range surface-to-air missile/anti-ballistic missile system has entered series production, after years of development.
The S-500s will work in parallel with S-400s and together are planned to replace the S-300 missile systems.