Russia to get new Mi-28 helicopters

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quite possible. I believe a total of 48 Mi-28N were ordered over a 3-year time period. Which would make sense to have the first 12 already delivered. However I'll wait until I get confirmation of deliveries, to make any concrete statements.

Wall83

Warfare.ru is a decent source, but one must wonder where they get their info...
Yeah the number of Mi-28 has gone from 12 to 28 and back to 16 with warfare.ru. At one time the wikipedia stated 48 in service....hehe i wounder where they come up what that:D :D .
Its relly hard to find good sources for new russian hardware, and when you find something you can always take away 10-30% to get the truth.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. This seems to be in addition to the 4 in Torzhok. It's the 487th Helo regiment, and a total of 48 are planned.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
We will have to wait and see the new military doctrine, that's due to be done by fall.

SkolZkiy

With whom? May be Georgia again =) may be Ukraine (very doubtfully, but).
may be porjecting force somewhere "FAR-away" =)
there are also 6-7 pre-serial AC which are used for training and testing

Will

I know the Su-25 was used in the Chechen wars but I'm not sure if for anti-tank or ground support. I'm interested in learning about all the aircraft involved in the air war. Might be a pretty modern way to see have Russia uses air power in warfare. If you know of any good sites that deal with this subject even if it's just tank busting side let me, thanks.
Don't believe the Chechens had much in the way of tanks or other AFVs. The Chechens often used guerilla tactics against the larger & heavily armored Russian forces. The Su-25 would have been used against troops, soft skin vehicles & fixed targets.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Chechens made use of left over Soviet stocks, and captured Russian equipment. Tanks and AFVs were not as rare as one might think. But disappeared completely half way through the second war when all of Chechnya was under federal control.

Will

The Chechens made use of left over Soviet stocks, and captured Russian equipment. Tanks and AFVs were not as rare as one might think. But disappeared completely half way through the second war when all of Chechnya was under federal control.
Haven't read much. Stand corrected.