Russia helps China build new aircraft carrier

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
F-117 was developed when Semiconductor technlogy was at primitive stage.
The whole COTS revolution for Military started in late 90s.(hence exponential increase in capabilities/lower cost/quicker upgrades)
F-117 already become irrelevant in less than 10 years of service. See Serbia issue with 1960s era defence electronics/optics.
U cannot keep fixed design for 40 years. like F-22/F-35.
Depends on who your enemies are. Most of the world will be flying 3-4 gen. for another 20 years. The only 5th gen. in the near future are the PAK-FA, F-35, and potentially a Chinese J-XX. I'm not sure if radar will evolve quickly enough to keep up with the RCS reduction techniques, but at this point this doesn't seem to be the case.

swerve

Super Moderator
F-117 already become irrelevant in less than 10 years of service. See Serbia issue with 1960s era defence electronics/optics.
The shooting down over Serbia did not prove the F-117 was irrelevant. It demonstrated that if you are stupidly over-confident, & rely entirely on the stealthiness of an aircraft, to the extent of following exactly the same route, night after night, you make it possible for your opponents to work out what you are doing & lay a trap for you. Once.

roberto

Banned Member
The shooting down over Serbia did not prove the F-117 was irrelevant. It demonstrated that if you are stupidly over-confident, & rely entirely on the stealthiness of an aircraft, to the extent of following exactly the same route, night after night, you make it possible for your opponents to work out what you are doing & lay a trap for you. Once.
F-117 carried limited bombs with limited range. It is not easy to refuel stealth fighter in mid air or external fuel tanks without revealing it to airdefence systems.
Imagine if F-117 was facing 90s era S-300PMU system. Alot more would have shoot. so it is irrelevant.
Stealth fighter has limited ways of going from Point A to Point B and will take far more maintainance not easily deployable to primitive airbases like Gripen or what Taiwanese are doing.

Depends on who your enemies are. Most of the world will be flying 3-4 gen. for another 20 years. The only 5th gen. in the near future are the PAK-FA, F-35, and potentially a Chinese J-XX. I'm not sure if radar will evolve quickly enough to keep up with the RCS reduction techniques, but at this point this doesn't seem to be the case.
Chinese has invested far more in S-300 and its clones than on Flankers. Similar case is with Russia now. It seems they are upto the job of staying current with Stealth technology. JSF/PAK-FA/J-XX are alteast 10 years away from operational deployment even in limited numbers. by that time goal posts would have moved far beyond than fixed shape aircraft. THe money invested in stealth aircraft is better invested in more standoff weopons/electronics.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
F-117 carried limited bombs with limited range.

At the time of its employment it was a precision delivery system, they were tasked to kill niche targets. No other platform could do it under the same logistics burden. btw they flew the entire F-117 Wing across the atlantic ocean using mulitple refuelers, into Saudi Arabia and ran their first mission within hours of arrival.

It is not easy to refuel stealth fighter in mid air or external fuel tanks without revealing it to airdefence systems.
and yet prior to entering the delivery corridor they were refueled up to 6 times in complex space. Whats the point of arguing the AD network of 1991 and 1999 against today? Its why the platform has also been replaced.

Imagine if F-117 was facing 90s era S-300PMU system. Alot more would have shoot. so it is irrelevant.
and it's not in the ORBAT as it's no longer survivable in complex contested space in todays threat environment against a sophisticated opponent - so whats your point. We could also say the same about B-17's

Stealth fighter has limited ways of going from Point A to Point B and will take far more maintainance not easily deployable to primitive airbases like Gripen or what Taiwanese are doing.
Nonsense, look at the tac planning that went into the F-117's when they went into Bagdhad - it's not A-B mission planning at all. TAC route planning is far more complex. This was not the Korean War.

Primitive air bases in Taiwan? you do realise that the air bases where the F-s were based in Saudi Arabia were bare bones and did not even have SAM/GBAD in place? The entire F-117 wing was supported by USAF special forces air defence elements - you couldn't get an airbase any more primitive.

Stop making things up to make a point - its getting tiresome.

Just a small note, every manned LO/VLO platform employed by the USAF has used different sig management principles - they have not had the same maint issues between platforms. In fact, using the B as an example, they have now got its sig mgt maint down to 20% of what it was on first deployment. The F-22 maint procedures have also been halved since they first went to Elmendorf. The LO/VLO surface maint required by the F-117 isn't even used anymore. It's redundant tech.

Chinese has invested far more in S-300 and its clones than on Flankers. Similar case is with Russia now. It seems they are upto the job of staying current with Stealth technology. JSF/PAK-FA/J-XX are alteast 10 years away from operational deployment even in limited numbers. by that time goal posts would have moved far beyond than fixed shape aircraft. THe money invested in stealth aircraft is better invested in more standoff weopons/electronics.
I'm sure the chinese will appreciate your insight and wisdom into their future force planning.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
F-117 carried limited bombs with limited range.
The F-117 had a very specific role, and it did that role very well as long as it was properly supported.

It is not easy to refuel stealth fighter in mid air or external fuel tanks without revealing it to airdefence systems.
You don't do inflight refueling inside the combat zone, at least not while there are any active air defenses.

What the heck are you talking about? The F-117's have consistently operated from fairly primitive air bases.

roberto

Banned Member
At the time of its employment it was a precision delivery system, they were tasked to kill niche targets. No other platform could do it under the same logistics burden. btw they flew the entire F-117 Wing across the atlantic ocean using mulitple refuelers, into Saudi Arabia and ran their first mission within hours of arrival.
niche targets in serbia. what were that in that needed F-117. It faced countries with no airforces or updated airdefence system. so there was no threat to its refuelling.

and yet prior to entering the delivery corridor they were refueled up to 6 times in complex space. Whats the point of arguing the AD network of 1991 and 1999 against today? Its why the platform has also been replaced.
As i said the losing sides didnot have airforce to intercept targets thousands of kms away. for MIG-31/Su-27 it does not make a difference whether it is Gripen or F-35.

and it's not in the ORBAT as it's no longer survivable in complex contested space in todays threat environment against a sophisticated opponent - so whats your point. We could also say the same about B-17's
I am saying the cost of development of Stealth platforms is huge so they are unlikely to be modified or introduced new platforms for next 40 years. So all this RCS techniques are meaningless. better invest money in standoff weopons whether from bombers or Submarines or fighters with large wing spans.

Nonsense, look at the tac planning that went into the F-117's when they went into Bagdhad - it's not A-B mission planning at all. TAC route planning is far more complex. This was not the Korean War.
yes they went of Baghdad dealing with crippled airdefence system.
Primitive air bases in Taiwan? you do realise that the air bases where the F-s were based in Saudi Arabia were bare bones and did not even have SAM/GBAD in place? The entire F-117 wing was supported by USAF special forces air defence elements - you couldn't get an airbase any more primitive.
No one has tally the cost of logistic transporting and running F-117 show.
lets wait how small countries with limited budget can maintain Stealth fighters let alone putting them on Carriers.
Just a small note, every manned LO/VLO platform employed by the USAF has used different sig management principles - they have not had the same maint issues between platforms. In fact, using the B as an example, they have now got its sig mgt maint down to 20% of what it was on first deployment. The F-22 maint procedures have also been halved since they first went to Elmendorf. The LO/VLO surface maint required by the F-117 isn't even used anymore. It's redundant tech.
Even MIG-29Bison uses different RAM paint than MIG-29K. u can do so much with techniques but basis shapes and its limitation remains the same. so all the money is going into standoff weopons. like Brahmos that can be used by tri-service and response is far rapid.

I'm sure the chinese will appreciate your insight and wisdom into their future force planning.
They have cost effective way of surrendering Taiwan by parking 1000 billistic missiles protected by S-300 ring. The whole planning seems to me to lure aircrafts into SAM trap.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
As i said the losing sides didnot have airforce to intercept targets thousands of kms away. for MIG-31/Su-27 it does not make a difference whether it is Gripen or F-35.
Because the primitive MiG-31 radar will detect the F-35, right? Never mind tracking or targetting data.... it will know the F-35 is there right? >.<

Don't get me wrong. I love the MiG-31. It's my favorite combat aircraft. The heavy, solid looking airframe, the insane speed, the very concept of a long-range interceptor, but we're talking about taking on a fighter that is more then a genenration ahead in sensors, avionics, and emissions control. I'm not sure emissions control, or RCS reductions were even in the requirements for the MiG-31. It didn't need penetration potential, or to remain undetected. It needed to take out enemy bombers at long range, and then pull out of the fight, all over friendly airspace, with GBAD, and ground-based radars to support it, as well as friendly AD fighters. Why you are trying to claim it can stand up to the F-35 is beyond me. In a heavily defended position, (tons of friendly SAMs, redundant radar coverage both ground and airbased of the airspace) the MiG-35, or something else around the 4.5 gen area could potentially compete with a 5th gen VLO platform. And yes then it becomes significant that the area in question is fairly limited, and thoroughly protected. And the VLO may have infinite directions from which it can come, but only one direction in which to go, towards the defended region. But that's not the situation you're describing.

They went in BEFORE the IADS was crippled.

Even MIG-29Bison uses different RAM paint than MIG-29K. u can do so much with techniques but basis shapes and its limitation remains the same. so all the money is going into standoff weopons. like Brahmos that can be used by tri-service and response is far rapid.
I'm assuming you mean the MiG-21bis. As far as I know it does not use any RAM. Do you have a source to the contrary?

roberto

Banned Member
Because the primitive MiG-31 radar will detect the F-35, right? Never mind tracking or targetting data.... it will know the F-35 is there right? >.<

Don't get me wrong. I love the MiG-31. It's my favorite combat aircraft. The heavy, solid looking airframe, the insane speed, the very concept of a long-range interceptor, but we're talking about taking on a fighter that is more then a genenration ahead in sensors, avionics, and emissions control. I'm not sure emissions control, or RCS reductions were even in the requirements for the MiG-31. It didn't need penetration potential, or to remain undetected. It needed to take out enemy bombers at long range, and then pull out of the fight, all over friendly airspace, with GBAD, and ground-based radars to support it, as well as friendly AD fighters. Why you are trying to claim it can stand up to the F-35 is beyond me. In a heavily defended position, (tons of friendly SAMs, redundant radar coverage both ground and airbased of the airspace) the MiG-35, or something else around the 4.5 gen area could potentially compete with a 5th gen VLO platform. And yes then it becomes significant that the area in question is fairly limited, and thoroughly protected. And the VLO may have infinite directions from which it can come, but only one direction in which to go, towards the defended region. But that's not the situation you're describing.
MIG-31 is being upgraded to deal with low RCS targets. i have underlined the part. It is not the MIG-31 alone but whole Airdefnce network that is upgraded to track UFO type objects. So i cannot forsee any future for Stealth aircraft just like SUV had limited Run for Automobile Industry.
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread293952/pg1
MiG-31 to Get Fifth-Generation Upgrades

Modernized MiG-31 interceptors will be fit to take on fifth-generation aircraft, according to chief commander of the Russian Air Force Alexander Zelin. He said that fifth-generation technology would be used when modernizing the planes, which will increase their military value by 1.5-4 times, depending on the nature of their task.
Modernized MiG-31 models will be able to strike a target at a distance of 200 km. Thanks to new radar and missiles, it will be able to detect and defeat stealth planes and low-altitude cruise missiles at greater distances. The MiG-31 will remain in use as a long-distance radar plane to manage the flights of other types of fighter jets, Zelin added.

They went in BEFORE the IADS was crippled.
you are assuming there was IADS in first place and it wasnt compromised in years and months ahead of time

I'm assuming you mean the MiG-21bis. As far as I know it does not use any RAM. Do you have a source to the contrary?
It is IAF MIG-21Bison. It does carry RAM and so does newer MIG-29K.

Russian Stealth Research Revealed
Russia shows solid progress in a variety of low-observable technologies
by Bill Sweetman
Jan. 1, 2004
In the paper, entitled "Stealth Technology: Fundamental and Applied Problems," Russian stealth researchers claim to have reduced the head-on radar cross-section (RCS) of a Sukhoi (Moscow, Russia) Su-35 fighter by an order of magnitude, halving the range at which hostile radars can detect it. The research group has performed more than 100 hours of testing on a reduced-RCS Su-35. According to other reports, the ITAE has demonstrated similar technology on a MiG-21bis, and it has been offered to India as part of a MiG-21 upgrade package. Similar modifications have been made to Western aircraft (such as the Have Glass package developed for the F-16), but it is not known whether they claim the same level of performance.

Russian investigators certainly have the basic scientific knowledge to apply stealth to aircraft. Some of the basic mathematical and optical theories that underlie stealth originated in Russia (such as Ufimtsev's theory of edge diffraction), and some of the most significant early work on reducing the RCS of military vehicles was carried out by Russian warship designers. The Kirov-class battlecruisers – with a 22° "tumblehome" angle imposed on normally vertical bulkheads, screens, and skirts to shield high-RCS components from radar, along with extensive use of radar-absorbent material (RAM) – were remarkably stealthy despite their size. "If you saw a big wake with nothing in front of it," British marine LO expert Peter Varnish has said, "you knew you'd found the Kirov."
There is also an LO strand in Russian aircraft design. The Tupolev (Moscow, Russia) Tu-160 Blackjack bomber is a reduced-signature design reminiscent of the B-1 Lancer. Sukhoi has designed a series of supersonic bombers with low-profile, highly blended configurations. In early 2000, Russian military leaders considered that a new, stealthy medium bomber would be the next major Russian military aircraft project, to replace the Tu-22M.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
ome of the basic mathematical and optical theories that underlie stealth originated in Russia (such as Ufimtsev's theory of edge diffraction), and some of the most significant early work on reducing the RCS of military vehicles was carried out by Russian warship designers. The Kirov-class battlecruisers – with a 22° "tumblehome" angle imposed on normally vertical bulkheads, screens, and skirts to shield high-RCS components from radar, along with extensive use of radar-absorbent material (RAM) – were remarkably stealthy despite their size. "If you saw a big wake with nothing in front of it," British marine LO expert Peter Varnish has said, "you knew you'd found the Kirov."
Apparently you believe anything you read. That article is dead wrong.
The Kirov's do NOT have a tumblehome hull design, go look up the definition of tumblehome then go look at some pictures of a Kirov.:rolleyes:
There is absolutely no stealth features on Kirov, no significant use of angled bulkheads or clean deck features of a true low-RCS ship.

funtz

flanker should be superior in both sense, but they can be used in so many more roles, could be used for a EW variant or buddy-to-buddy refueler or a mini-AWACS (pardon the incorrect terminology). They can do longer range strike missions, carry more missiles.
The big plane is not easy on fuel, and will have drastically reduced range and payload than the land based version, they will never be able to carry enough bombs to be even relevant to long ranged air to ground missions, that is clear from the way Russian Navy operates them, flankers for air defence, submarines and bombers for attack.

As far as Fleet air defence role is concerned the radius of operation should not all that big, and the A-A missile load/EW pod should not be all that intensive on the fulcrum.

the radar on board the flankers will be huge, that is a big advantage, other than that the fulcrums will have to prove how effective they are in sea based operations.

I wonder how much space the Su-27/30 series has got left, have you seen a EW version in service with RuAF or PLA-AF, that would be very interesting.

I think buddy to buddy refueling can be done both to increase range, and both will have a data link connecting the planes so that they can share information.

Many things are required to be filled in, area of operation, EW equipment, AEW/AWAC/ELINT coverage, for example a fulcrum serving in the IN in the IOR will have the advantage of being backed up with long ranged electronic intelligence and surveillance aircrafts (P-8Is, A-50Is etc), however if they move out too far they will be essentially without this component.

there is a military embargo still in place. They will probably use some naval flanker for a while and then have a stealth naval fighter afterward. But the naval flanker will remain part of the fleet for a while. After all, super hornets are not all going to be retired when F-35 join service.
But the super hornet is thrown off a cat. it can serve its purpose as a strike aircraft. Unless the PLA-N program includes a catapult take off system in which case a airframe strengthened for arrested recovery should be an advantage.

I think with the resources that PRC has (in terms of manpower and money) they should start a parallel project with the fifth generation program for a naval variant, it makes the most sense.

Last edited:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
niche targets in serbia. what were that in that needed F-117. It faced countries with no airforces or updated airdefence system. so there was no threat to its refuelling.
perhaps you need to look at the target and TAC profiles of the F-117 as opposed to the F-15's F-16's and Mirages. What is it that you don't understand specifically about TAC planning. it is getting tedious having chatter with someone who always drags in technical non sequitors as soon as they are shown to be systems knowledge poor.

and so by rote you are now saying that the Mig31 owned by Russia is on Swedens threat matrix. Thanks, I refer you to all the swedish and scandinavian posters who have been discussing this threat matrix in other threads.

btw, you do understand that warfighting is about visiting the most violence on the enemy at a time of your choosing. Remind me about any war in 5000 years of history where the parties waited for parity before commencing.

make the effort to be sincere. you are trolling - and its not just my view as a Mod

I am saying the cost of development of Stealth platforms is huge so they are unlikely to be modified or introduced new platforms for next 40 years. So all this RCS techniques are meaningless. better invest money in standoff weopons whether from bombers or Submarines or fighters with large wing spans.
ah yes, and thats why every manned and unmanned LO/VLO platform designed since 1959 has been technologicaly different in signal management concepts as well as shape management.

You are without doubt clueless by your persistence in trotting out such stuff as even resembling fact

No, bagdhad was crippled before non LO/VLO assets were deployed. How about reading up on the war before stating such nonsense. Welcome to combined and black arms. Everyone else read about it and learned post 1991. The russians and chinese deliberately changed and developed their own RMA accordingly. I guess they might be on to something....

No one has tally the cost of logistic transporting and running F-117 show.
doh! Saudi Arabia gave the US a bare bones base. ie they US deployed air supportable systems along with the Wing. (all in under a week) France, Israel, UK, Russia, China and a few others can do the same to relative scale.

lets wait how small countries with limited budget can maintain Stealth fighters let alone putting them on Carriers.
whats this got to do with anything? The next mass delivered LO platform is the JSF. Ever looked at the populations of all the partners? The JSF is a lower sig manager than all the partners current fixed wing combat element platforms.

Even MIG-29Bison uses different RAM paint than MIG-29K. u can do so much with techniques but basis shapes and its limitation remains the same.
Excellent. Please provide a source on this. You seem to be oblivious to the fact that RAM coatings are not applied to the entire aircraft - so can you please provide pics of the Mig29 and Mig21 RAM coatings as I've seen both platforms up close and don't recall seeing any.

Perhaps its worth your while to do some research on RAM coatings at the same time.

so all the money is going into standoff weopons. like Brahmos that can be used by tri-service and response is far rapid.
China is going to use Brahmos? Thats a first, I'm sure the Indians will be happy about that.

BTW, the Russians don't need Brahmos. Again, the history of that project was to ensure that the russians didn't breach MTCR - they don't have a range limitation requirement on their own missiles - Brahmos is a nugatory requirement for them.

They have cost effective way of surrendering Taiwan by parking 1000 billistic missiles protected by S-300 ring. The whole planning seems to me to lure aircrafts into SAM trap.

Gee, the Taiwanese won't have worked that out.

BTW. This is your last warning. Your style of engagement and the way that you trot out unrelated arguments has worn thin. The Mods agree that you're on your last chance. Change your approach or you'll be short lived.

tphuang

Super Moderator
The big plane is not easy on fuel, and will have drastically reduced range and payload than the land based version, they will never be able to carry enough bombs to be even relevant to long ranged air to ground missions, that is clear from the way Russian Navy operates them, flankers for air defence, submarines and bombers for attack.
they operate only self defense versions, because they developed them when su-27 just came out and they were only capable of A2A missions. Their reduced range/payload was due more to ski jump and its limitations.
As far as Fleet air defence role is concerned the radius of operation should not all that big, and the A-A missile load/EW pod should not be all that intensive on the fulcrum.

the radar on board the flankers will be huge, that is a big advantage, other than that the fulcrums will have to prove how effective they are in sea based operations.
generally, flankers should be better in A2A combat, AShM, SEA missions and such
I wonder how much space the Su-27/30 series has got left, have you seen a EW version in service with RuAF or PLA-AF, that would be very interesting.

I think buddy to buddy refueling can be done both to increase range, and both will have a data link connecting the planes so that they can share information.

Many things are required to be filled in, area of operation, EW equipment, AEW/AWAC/ELINT coverage, for example a fulcrum serving in the IN in the IOR will have the advantage of being backed up with long ranged electronic intelligence and surveillance aircrafts (P-8Is, A-50Is etc), however if they move out too far they will be essentially without this component.
Having seen what they did to JH-7A in PLAAF, it's quite clear to me that an EW version of J-11 is in the works. flankers would be a lot more affective in buddy to buddy refueling due to its much larger fuel tank. And also, they can theoretically carry far more equipment for surveillance/C&C mission. Again, these are theoretic capabilities for flankers, Mig-29s simply can't do them.
But the super hornet is thrown off a cat. it can serve its purpose as a strike aircraft. Unless the PLA-N program includes a catapult take off system in which case a airframe strengthened for arrested recovery should be an advantage.

I think with the resources that PRC has (in terms of manpower and money) they should start a parallel project with the fifth generation program for a naval variant, it makes the most sense.
they are going to put a catapult on there. PLA is going for both naval flanker and a 5th gen variant.

roberto

Banned Member
perhaps you need to look at the target and TAC profiles of the F-117 as opposed to the F-15's F-16's and Mirages. What is it that you don't understand specifically about TAC planning. it is getting tedious having chatter with someone who always drags in technical non sequitors as soon as they are shown to be systems knowledge poor.
what difference does it make? considering the opposing forces.

and so by rote you are now saying that the Mig31 owned by Russia is on Swedens threat matrix. Thanks, I refer you to all the swedish and scandinavian posters who have been discussing this threat matrix in other threads.

btw, you do understand that warfighting is about visiting the most violence on the enemy at a time of your choosing. Remind me about any war in 5000 years of history where the parties waited for parity before commencing.

make the effort to be sincere. you are trolling - and its not just my view as a Mod
Time of chosing entirely depends on making standoff weopons and platforms that are independent of foreign bases and have speed to execute time sensitive targets.

ah yes, and thats why every manned and unmanned LO/VLO platform designed since 1959 has been technologicaly different in signal management concepts as well as shape management.

You are without doubt clueless by your persistence in trotting out such stuff as even resembling fact
We are no longer in 1950s. Cost of developing new platforms is such that F-35/PAK-FA/J-XX would be the last high performance platforms that can be deployed in certain quantities. You cannot compete against COTS industry of the World.

No, bagdhad was crippled before non LO/VLO assets were deployed. How about reading up on the war before stating such nonsense. Welcome to combined and black arms. Everyone else read about it and learned post 1991. The russians and chinese deliberately changed and developed their own RMA accordingly. I guess they might be on to something....
Baghad IADS was not indigenous. It was compromised way before the War. You dont need to start war to consider other airdefence as crippled. Iran case is different as they have managed to integrate themselves.

doh! Saudi Arabia gave the US a bare bones base. ie they US deployed air supportable systems along with the Wing. (all in under a week) France, Israel, UK, Russia, China and a few others can do the same to relative scale.
Russia deployed Blackjack in Venzuella in less than week of preparation with 100 men. It is not big deal to deploy stuff once you airlift entire support infrastrucutre.

whats this got to do with anything? The next mass delivered LO platform is the JSF. Ever looked at the populations of all the partners? The JSF is a lower sig manager than all the partners current fixed wing combat element platforms.
thats your assumptions. JSF is good platforms but not good enough for time period of introductions and money involved. Gripen is available and cheaper.

Excellent. Please provide a source on this. You seem to be oblivious to the fact that RAM coatings are not applied to the entire aircraft - so can you please provide pics of the Mig29 and Mig21 RAM coatings as I've seen both platforms up close and don't recall seeing any.

Perhaps its worth your while to do some research on RAM coatings at the same time.
you will not see them as they arent on export or airshow aircraft.

China is going to use Brahmos? Thats a first, I'm sure the Indians will be happy about that.
China will either develop itself or license from Russia just like YJ-91. No doubt they are going in this direction. The recently signed ITAR agreement with Russia.
BTW, the Russians don't need Brahmos. Again, the history of that project was to ensure that the russians didn't breach MTCR - they don't have a range limitation requirement on their own missiles - Brahmos is a nugatory requirement for them.
The problem is you start to believe Russian/India public statements. otherwise there wouldnt be Crynogenic engines in India or India Sub crew trained in Russia or exclusive rights to Glosnos Military signals.
Brahmos actual range is likely to classified. if Club (Iskander-M) ranged can be increased beyond 500km. how far will be Brahmos?
http://mdb.cast.ru/mdb/4-2008/item1/article1/
In November of 2007, the Commander of the Missile Troops and Artillery of the Russian Ground Forces, Colonel General Vladimir Zaritsky said that «at present the Iskander-M missile system fully complies with the conditions of the INF Treaty, but if a political decision were made to withdraw from the Treaty, we would increase the fighting capabilities of the system, including its range.»

Gee, the Taiwanese won't have worked that out.
Even if they Taiwanese Know about what is awaiting for them. They can do nothing about it. It is capitalism baby. China has much more money and market and rest of the world is only interested in China.

BTW. This is your last warning. Your style of engagement and the way that you trot out unrelated arguments has worn thin. The Mods agree that you're on your last chance. Change your approach or you'll be short lived.
In this form every one is Mod and if some one does not conform to preconcieve notion it is consider trolling. At end only mods will be debating among themselves.

Having ignored repeated Moderator Warnings regarding the style and substance of ones posts, and then choosing to talkback following a Final Warning has resulted in a three month Banning. If you should return after that is over, make factual and on-topic posts. Your next Banning will be Permanent.
-Preceptor

Last edited by a moderator:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
what difference does it make? considering the opposing forces.
Are you serious? Of course it makes a difference. Warfare is about mass, timing persistence, projection, political management and manouvre. The countries that pick and choose the prosecution of warfare at their own choosing have an advantage.

Time of chosing entirely depends on making standoff weopons and platforms that are independent of foreign bases and have speed to execute time sensitive targets.
and in relation to this thread russia helping china build an aircraft carrier means what? Have a look at the status of the russian ship building industry - have a look at how long it takes to work up a carrier, work up a fleet and begin blue water training at fleet level. So whats your temporal point??

We are no longer in 1950s. Cost of developing new platforms is such that F-35/PAK-FA/J-XX would be the last high performance platforms that can be deployed in certain quantities. You cannot compete against COTS industry of the World.
COTS has been in military platforms since I was employed as a consultant in 1999. COTS is not the panacea for all ills - its relative to the system.

Baghad IADS was not indigenous. It was compromised way before the War. You dont need to start war to consider other airdefence as crippled. Iran case is different as they have managed to integrate themselves.
and this has what to do with Russia and China and the aircraft carrier?

Russia deployed Blackjack in Venzuella in less than week of preparation with 100 men. It is not big deal to deploy stuff once you airlift entire support infrastrucutre.
Oh, so now its not a big deal? What countries deploy intercontinental warfighting half assed? What is your point? The country that made the art of logistics stand out in 1861 has got nothing to do with a chinese aircraft carrier. It doesn't effect russian involvement either. The issue of logistics is a chinese issue for this thread.

thats your assumptions. JSF is good platforms but not good enough for time period of introductions and money involved. Gripen is available and cheaper.
oh for goodnes sake - the procurement teams who also include their own warfighters are the ones who made the decision - not you or me - and quite frankly they're a whole lot more involved that either you or I or any other internet jockey.

platforms are relative to requirements.

you will not see them as they arent on export or airshow aircraft.
so what? who cares? we're talking about export assets - eg an aircraft carrier - and AFAIK the Gripen isn't going on any chinese aircraft carrier

China will either develop itself or license from Russia just like YJ-91. No doubt they are going in this direction. The recently signed ITAR agreement with Russia.
meh? ITARs is a US Congressional restriction, when did Russia and China get involved with the US Congress and the US State Dept

The problem is you start to believe Russian/India public statements. otherwise there wouldnt be Crynogenic engines in India or India Sub crew trained in Russia or exclusive rights to Glosnos Military signals.
Brahmos actual range is likely to classified. if Club (Iskander-M) ranged can be increased beyond 500km. how far will be Brahmos?
this is really tiresome. a history of why the Brahmos was chosen and the MTCR implications has been clearly spelled out.

and for goodness sake - its GLONASS

In this form every one is Mod and if some one does not conform to preconcieve notion it is consider trolling. At end only mods will be debating among themselves.
It's not a matter of conforming - its a matter of getting rid of trolls. There are any number of conversations happening in here where Mods have opposing views - the issue is the quality of debate. We don't expect people to be SME's (as even those with the approp experience are always learning) - but we do expect reasonable behaviour.

If you don't like it leave. Better still, take a fortnight off and think about it yourself.

Edit. I Note that another Mod has made it 3 months - so take some time to think about why so many of us (and members) have issues with your style of engagement

You can think about the quality of your responses such as: building the plane to carry AWACS capability is more important than the development of the sensor suite - and your recent comments about Kirov being stealth. I suggest you look at a Lafayette, or something Swedish at the green water level before even remotely thinking that Kirov is ELV.

funtz

generally, flankers should be better in A2A combat, AShM, SEA missions and such

Having seen what they did to JH-7A in PLAAF, it's quite clear to me that an EW version of J-11 is in the works. flankers would be a lot more affective in buddy to buddy refueling due to its much larger fuel tank. And also, they can theoretically carry far more equipment for surveillance/C&C mission. Again, these are theoretic capabilities for flankers, Mig-29s simply can't do them.
The flanker and the fulcrum are two different airframes, the fulcrum will be used for fleet air defence in the 600-800km radius. With a limited secondary role of anti surface vessel.

The flanker in air domination role should have a lot of fuel, a lot of missiles and a big radar, along with all the required electronics, they will also have a large RCS and a lot of emissions.

The fulcrums are meant to respond to such threats within its operational radius.

It is not a strike aircraft and in the current carriers that are supposed to have it, it will require land based long ranged maritime patrol, AWACS/ELINT/ESM resources which will limit the operational radius the carriers can have in hostile times.

The flankers would be refueling other flankers, which require a lot of fuel to be effective.

The equipment for Surveillance and C&C missions is better carried on platforms that can use them with one or two guys in a plane its hard to imagine anything coming out of it.

A dedicated EW version taking off from a ship will be very impressive.
they are going to put a catapult on there. PLA is going for both naval flanker and a 5th gen variant.
That will take care of a lot of issues and make sure that the Flanker as the choice of aircraft is utilized effectively, however also delay the program as the development of these systems will take time.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a shame roberto didn't bother to read the discussion that followed the article (on the MiG-31 modernization) he posted from another forum. He might've reconsidered trying to use that article as a source for anything. And just fyi there are currently iirc two modernized Foxhounds at the Lipetsk center. No serial modernization has been conducted to date.

SkolZkiy

AS I've read China has bought at least 4 Kirov class 3 from Ukraine one from Russia - 3 of this ships disappeared. =)

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
AS I've read China has bought at least 4 Kirov class 3 from Ukraine one from Russia - 3 of this ships disappeared. =)
What is your proof of this? All because you've "read" it doesn't mean you can go posting such obvious falsehoods.
Only 4 of the Kirovs were built. Two are currently in commission and one of those two are deployed. The other two are in reserve or slated for scrapping, if China acquired any of them it would be major news in defense circles. Ships of that size do not "disappear".

kev 99

What is your proof of this? All because you've "read" it doesn't mean you can go posting such obvious falsehoods.
Only 4 of the Kirovs were built. Two are currently in commission and one of those two are deployed. The other two are in reserve or slated for scrapping, if China acquired any of them it would be major news in defense circles. Ships of that size do not "disappear".
I think he's talking about the Kiev class.