Russia - General Discussion.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As far as Russia was concerned it worked with Ukraine, specifically in the Crimea and East. Russia refused to admit it had forces on the ground and Obama dithered because he didn't know how to respond to Russia refusing to admit to what it was doing.

Let me emphasise, this isn't about what the reasonable person on the street thinks, it's what Putin thinks. If he "wins" over Ukraine, he will absolutely think he can do the same in the Baltics. Not immediately, but sometime this decade.
I'm not at all sold that he will think that. I also don't see any real moves being made towards the Baltics at any point in a significant chunk of time. And what it means to "win" is an open question. I suspect the cost of getting an acceptable outcome will factor heavily into the decision-making. If anything, Putin has to worry more about hanging on to a friendly government in Belarus.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have seen it in full already.
As far as deescalation is moving army units to theyre respective places along RF border and other places they were before.
Currently RF have 9/11 of it's combat ready forces(9 armies from ~11) along border with Ukraine, or moving there.
Can you provide a breakdown of this? You also have left out the Coastal Troops which field corps instead of armies, but are functionally identical (see the 11th in Kaliningrad).

STURM

I'm not at all sold that he will think that. I also don't see any real moves being made towards the Baltics at any point in a significant chunk of time.
The Baltics is an area of great importance and interest for Russia which would like to keep the region within its sphere of influence. Unlike the Ukraine however the Baltics simply does not hold the same level of importance and there is less sentimental or nostalgic attachment to the Baltics compared to the Ukraine.

Russian planners have long foreseen a higher chance of friction or conflict with NATO over the Ukraine or Belarus rather than over the Baltics. Going for the Baltics also exposes Russia to risk as all 3 Baltic states are NATO.

Last edited:

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Everyone around them is already a NATO member, which countries are left? Ukraine, Belarus and Georgia.. Russia never gave anyone reason to join NATO.. Russia has a lot of constraints and they know it, they won't act if it's not a matter of National security
It is interesting to note that the countries that had direct boarders with RF, and joined NATO did so after Putin came to power.
The reason that what is happening is so disturbing this call by the RF that it is a matter of national security belies the fact that the Russian forces deployed,far out number the forces of either NATO countries that are deployed near the Russian border or for that matter Ukrainian forces.
The NATO force available for deployment, should the Ukrainian situation warrant it is 40, 000 and these troops are not deployed anywhere close to the Russian border.
Ukraine: How many NATO troops are ready if Russia launches new invasion?
This against !00,000 RF troops in the Ukrainian area. In the baltic states, it is about 4000 NATO troops. Hardly a threat to National security.

Last edited:

STURM

In the baltic states, it is about 4000 NATO troops. Hardly a threat to National security.
It's not the actual numbers but the fact that troops are there in area which is in Russia's backyard. NATO no doubt has a small number of troops there but it could easily raise those numbers if required. Ultimately whether it's 4,000 or 10,000 NATO troops; it's a very significant political statement and is viewed by Russia as a threat or as provocative; just like how NATO would view Russian troops who were 'invited' into Belarus; whether it's 1,000 or 5,000.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Do you still consider it a correlation when you consider the geography and the tempo of expansion? It looks to me like a fairly natural east and south-ward creep across the former eastern bloc.

It would also be worth noting when these various nations either first requested to join NATO, or when they started to consult with NATO about joining. The first three ex-Warsaw Pact nations to join NATO, Poland, the Czech Republic, and Hungary all had been subjugated by the Soviet Union either during WWII, or in the post-war period during the 1950's and 1960's.

IMO it would be more likely that a number of ex-Eastern Bloc nations would have been more interested in joining NATO to provide security reassurances from Soviet/Russian threats. From NATO's POV, it would make little sense to try and rush expanding the alliance, if it meant inducting nations that were not in a good position to integrate with the existing NATO structures.

Kit had to be modified or replaced in order to properly communicate and integrate with what was in use with other alliance forces, as the same time the various nations' political and economic structures following the collapse of communism and the fall of the Iron Curtain. Consider how long it took re-integration to be completed following the reunification of Germany.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It would also be worth noting when these various nations either first requested to join NATO, or when they started to consult with NATO about joining. The first three ex-Warsaw Pact nations to join NATO, Poland, the Czech Republic, and Hungary all had been subjugated by the Soviet Union either during WWII, or in the post-war period during the 1950's and 1960's.

IMO it would be more likely that a number of ex-Eastern Bloc nations would have been more interested in joining NATO to provide security reassurances from Soviet/Russian threats. From NATO's POV, it would make little sense to try and rush expanding the alliance, if it meant inducting nations that were not in a good position to integrate with the existing NATO structures.

Kit had to be modified or replaced in order to properly communicate and integrate with what was in use with other alliance forces, as the same time the various nations' political and economic structures following the collapse of communism and the fall of the Iron Curtain. Consider how long it took re-integration to be completed following the reunification of Germany.
Thank you, that's a great point. These moves had to do with historic fears, and with a desire to be part of the prosperous west, not with the modern day politics of Russia and their roots far predate Putin's rise.

Beholder

Can you provide a breakdown of this? You also have left out the Coastal Troops which field corps instead of armies, but are functionally identical (see the 11th in Kaliningrad).
I don't have a clear breakdown, I don't really track individual RF army units.
My estimates are pretty rough and based on number of combat ready ground forces personal on contract(inside actual battalion tactical groups) in RF army, so it can be way off.
I also assume that airborne troops can be used on short notice.
Then we get that RF have ~11 armies worth of troops they can use(or 130+ battalion tactical groups).
With US estimated final number of 100+ battalion tactical groups at the end of all RF movements, we get ~9 armies will finally assemble on Ukrainian border when troop movement will be completed.

STURM

These moves had to do with historic fears, and with a desire to be part of the prosperous west, not with the modern day politics of Russia and their roots far predate Putin's rise.
So basically former Soviet republics or Warsaw Pact states which joined NATO at different periods did so for slightly different reasons. The first batch; Poland, the Czech Republic, and Hungary; did so to secure their long term security [at a time when Russia was not seen as the 'threat' it is today] but being able to enjoy the benefits and spin offs of NATO membership, including closer integration to the West; played a large part. The Baltics states however joined largely because it felt threatened by Russia' in a way Poland, the Czech Republic, and Hungary didn't feel when they joined years
earlier.

Does that sound right?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have a clear breakdown, I don't really track individual RF army units.
My estimates are pretty rough and based on number of combat ready ground forces personal on contract(inside actual battalion tactical groups) in RF army, so it can be way off.
I also assume that airborne troops can be used on short notice.
Then we get that RF have ~11 armies worth of troops they can use(or 130+ battalion tactical groups).
With US estimated final number of 100+ battalion tactical groups at the end of all RF movements, we get ~9 armies will finally assemble on Ukrainian border when troop movement will be completed.
I suspect this isn't even remotely accurate. What exactly counts as BTGs is a separate discussion. For example, in theory every M-R brigade and regiment can form 3 BTGs so an army like the 58th with two M-R divisions and two brigades can theoretically produce (assuming two regiments per division which is the norm these days) 18 BTGs. However they also have tank units, so some armored BTGs (tank btln+MR coy) are to be expected. At maximum it can probably put out more like 20-22 BTGs. Now take the 8th Army which has two M-R divisions, but one of them is the experimental "heavy" division ORBAT with two tank and two M-R rgts and the other with just two M-R rgts. For M-R units we can expect 12 BTGs, but with the armored units, it's more like 16-18. Then again the 49th Army has 3 brigades, so armored and M-R it's at most 12 BTGs. So at maximum we are well above the 130 BTGs divided by 11 armies. On the flip side, Russia prefers to use contract soldiers for actual combat, so how many of those units are completely contract, including junior enlisted? This is unclear. If they're moving contract-only units, they're certainly not moving 9/11 armies. They're moving more like ~1/3rd to 1/2 of that. I'm not sure where the number of 130 BTGs comes from, but the whole thing looks like really fuzzy math. And some of the units arriving in Belarus from East MD appear to include conscripts, so... :(

100 BTGs would equal, in my math, to more like ~4 armies if we include airborne which would form BTGs of their own, and would certainly participate, but don't report directly to Combined Arms Armies.

On a side note, in addition to 12 (not 11) armies (1st and 2nd Tank Armies, 5th, 6th, 8th, 20th, 29th, 35th, 36th, 41st, 49th, 58th Combined Arms Armies) there are also 4 Army Corps (11th,14th, 22nd, 68th,)which are the Navy/Coastal Troops combined commands for ground forces in their area. They're mostly (the 14th only has two Arctic bdes) comparable to a combined arms army, but with fewer support elements (often lacking the artillery bde, or the air defense bde which is often replaced by a much smaller and weaker air defense rgt, often lacking engineers and logistics units). There are also 4 divisions and iirc 3 bdes of VDV which combined are well above any single army, and don't report to any of them. So all in all even if 9 armies were deploying to the border of Ukraine a more accurate picture would be 9/17 or 9/18.

Beholder

I suspect this isn't even remotely accurate. What exactly counts as BTGs is a separate discussion. For example, in theory every M-R brigade and regiment can form 3 BTGs so an army like the 58th with two M-R divisions and two brigades can theoretically produce (assuming two regiments per division which is the norm these days) 18 BTGs. However they also have tank units, so some armored BTGs (tank btln+MR coy) are to be expected. At maximum it can probably put out more like 20-22 BTGs. Now take the 8th Army which has two M-R divisions, but one of them is the experimental "heavy" division ORBAT with two tank and two M-R rgts and the other with just two M-R rgts. For M-R units we can expect 12 BTGs, but with the armored units, it's more like 16-18. Then again the 49th Army has 3 brigades, so armored and M-R it's at most 12 BTGs. So at maximum we are well above the 130 BTGs divided by 11 armies. On the flip side, Russia prefers to use contract soldiers for actual combat, so how many of those units are completely contract, including junior enlisted? This is unclear. If they're moving contract-only units, they're certainly not moving 9/11 armies. They're moving more like ~1/3rd to 1/2 of that. I'm not sure where the number of 130 BTGs comes from, but the whole thing looks like really fuzzy math. And some of the units arriving in Belarus from East MD appear to include conscripts, so... :(

100 BTGs would equal, in my math, to more like ~4 armies if we include airborne which would form BTGs of their own, and would certainly participate, but don't report directly to Combined Arms Armies.

On a side note, in addition to 12 (not 11) armies (1st and 2nd Tank Armies, 5th, 6th, 8th, 20th, 29th, 35th, 36th, 41st, 49th, 58th Combined Arms Armies) there are also 4 Army Corps (11th,14th, 22nd, 68th,)which are the Navy/Coastal Troops combined commands for ground forces in their area. They're mostly (the 14th only has two Arctic bdes) comparable to a combined arms army, but with fewer support elements (often lacking the artillery bde, or the air defense bde which is often replaced by a much smaller and weaker air defense rgt, often lacking engineers and logistics units). There are also 4 divisions and iirc 3 bdes of VDV which combined are well above any single army, and don't report to any of them. So all in all even if 9 armies were deploying to the border of Ukraine a more accurate picture would be 9/17 or 9/18.
No, I approach it differently. I don't actually include conscripts in calculations. Also RF keep most of it contract personel as officers and to fill not fully filled units.
I calculate RF army as 16-17 armies total with ~2/3 of every one of them fully manned contract, which give us ~11 armies that RF have that are combat ready.
Every one of them can contribute ~12 BTG.
BTG is a maneuver element, other army part are used to support them and to accept and accomodate reserve personell in case of mobilisation to form additional BTG.
I don't really see RF as having 17-18 fully deployable armies, nor I see every army on average capable to deploy 18-22 BTG without mobilisation.

As You see it is really rough calculations, so I will not be surprised if it is off.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, I approach it differently. I don't actually include conscripts in calculations. Also RF keep most of it contract personel as officers and to fill not fully filled units.
I calculate RF army as 16-17 armies total with ~2/3 of every one of them fully manned contract, which give us ~11 armies that RF have that are combat ready.
Every one of them can contribute ~12 BTG.
BTG is a maneuver element, other army part are used to support them and to accept and accomodate reserve personell in case of mobilisation to form additional BTG.
I don't really see RF as having 17-18 fully deployable armies, nor I see every army on average capable to deploy 18-22 BTG without mobilisation.

As You see it is really rough calculations, so I will not be surprised if it is off.
I don't think you're correct. Russia does have about 2/3rds contract 1/3rd conscript, but they're not fully segregated. Russia has most of it's NCOs (almost all these days) as contract soldiers, and a high proportion of technical MOS' as contract soldiers even in units where the riflemen/machinegunners/RPG-men are conscripts. There is also a disproportionate quantity of contract soldiers in the VDV, the Navy and the airforce. So realistically they don't have 11-12 armies. And an army isn't 12 BTGs. An army as a unit has not been used in combat probably since Afghanistan, it's all been composite formations and ad-hoc HQs. An army is something to the tune of combined-arms 0-2 divisions and 0-4 brigades, in any combination. The biggest have two divisions and two brigades, or just 4 brigades. The smallest have two divisions or just 3 brigades. So it's not really accurate to say that because roughly all the contract-only BTGs from X number of armies have deployed to the border, that means that X number of armies have deployed to the border.

And again as far as I can tell the units from the Far East in Belarus include conscripts. Some have deployed almost in their entirety and I'm hard pressed to believe that units that far away and in a relatively low-priority theater have a high proportion of contract personnel. If anything the United Resolve exercises seem to involve almost an entire combined-arms army moving cross-country east to west.

EDIT: I re-read my post and realized I might be unclear. It's by no means the case that 1) armies can deploy as many 12 contract only BTGs. Some might be able to. Most probably can't. They can however (on average) deploy far more then that in total. I wouldn't be surprised if 130 BTGs is an accurate estimate of contract-only BTGs. 2) A combined arms army isn't the sum of it's contract-only BTGs. It's a far larger formation that meant for doing things like fighting a peer level opponent. And again a disproportionate number of Russian BTGs come from the VDV as they are almost entirely contract. There's also quite a few marines and coastal troops (the 200th M-R for example was prominent both in the '14 campaign and in the current build-up). So counting 9/11 armies in my opinion is highly misleading and misrepresents the situation. Counting BTGs might be more productive, but even there I'm not sold that the contract-only count is the right way to go. Again the scale of the United Resolve movement shows almost an entire combined arms army, I'm reasonably certain that there are quite a few conscripts there. Which, interestingly enough would fit with the idea of diplomatic posturing, when you're not actually planning to go to war.

Last edited:

Beholder

The only thing i want to note, that while some BTG on boder are conscript they do come fully stocked and while moving VDV BTG is problematic, moving VDV personal is easy.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
So basically former Soviet republics or Warsaw Pact states which joined NATO at different periods did so for slightly different reasons. The first batch; Poland, the Czech Republic, and Hungary; did so to secure their long term security [at a time when Russia was not seen as the 'threat' it is today] but being able to enjoy the benefits and spin offs of NATO membership, including closer integration to the West; played a large part. The Baltics states however joined largely because it felt threatened by Russia' in a way Poland, the Czech Republic, and Hungary didn't feel when they joined years
earlier.

Does that sound right?
I am not so certain that this is correct. I suspect (though cannot confirm my suspicions) that a number of ex-SSR or Warsaw Pact nations which joined NATO at later dates had been interested in joining NATO much earlier than they did, but had to first get their political, economic and defence force conditions to a certain level before NATO was willing to admit some of these nations as members. Both the Ukraine and Georgia are examples of states that would likely be interested in NATO membership, but for a variety of reasons NATO does not wish to admit them yet.

If one cares to look back to periods of territorial expansion during Tsarist Russia, there had been a number of city or nation-states which were annexed or absorbed into the Russian Empire. Many of these had populations that were of non-Russian ethnic majority. Further, there had been a number of former Russian Empire territories which declared their independence following the Russian Revolution of 1917, many of which were re-absorbed by the USSR in the years between WWI and WWII. IIRC Finland was the only former Russian Empire territory which was still independent following WWII, though the former Grand Duchy did lose territory to the USSR following the Winter War and WWII, and had to pay war reparations and the Soviet Union.

Vivendi

Joining NATO is often a long process. One good example of how it happened, is to be found here: Lithuania's membership in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) | Lithuania's security policy | Lithuania in the Region and the World | Foreign Policy | Ministry of Foreign Affairs (urm.lt)

Some key events (see link above for more complete history):

1990: The Baltic Information Bureau opened in Brussels. Its activities were devoted to international relations and to relations with the European Community and NATO.

1991: Lithuania together with Latvia and Estonia joined the North Atlantic Cooperation Council.

1994: President of the Republic of Lithuania Algirdas Brazauskas sent a letter to NATO Secretary General Manfred Woerner expressing the desire of Lithuania to become a NATO member. The letter stated the position based on the agreement on Lithuania’s aspiration to become a member of NATO signed by all parliamentary parties.

1997: Lithuanian Mission to NATO was established.

2002: seven NATO candidate countries – Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia – were invited to start accession negotiations with NATO.

2004: Prime Minister of the Republic of Lithuania Algirdas Brazauskas, during his visit in Washington, together with his Bulgarian, Estonian, Latvian, Romanian, Slovakian and Slovenian counterparts presented to the U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell ratification instruments of the Washington Treaty. On this historic day, Lithuania became a full-fledged member of NATO.

There are many reasons why Russia is not member of NATO, here are five of them: 5 Reasons Why Russia Will Never Join NATO (themoscowtimes.com)

Perhaps the first one mentioned is the most important one? NATO requires that its members have civilian and democratic control over their armed forces.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It's not the actual numbers but the fact that troops are there in area which is in Russia's backyard. NATO no doubt has a small number of troops there but it could easily raise those numbers if required. Ultimately whether it's 4,000 or 10,000 NATO troops; it's a very significant political statement and is viewed by Russia as a threat or as provocative; just like how NATO would view Russian troops who were 'invited' into Belarus; whether it's 1,000 or 5,000.
My view is that the numbers are deliberately kept small so as not to cause too much of a threat to RF, but as these states are NATO members the troops simply are there to show support. to increase numbers substantially would take some time and as the total of number of deployable NATO troops is 40000 in all regions, this is not going to happen to enable an aggressive stance. I think the threat stance is just an excuse for other actions. I hope I am wrong.

Atunga

Joining NATO is often a long process. One good example of how it happened, is to be found here: Lithuania's membership in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) | Lithuania's security policy | Lithuania in the Region and the World | Foreign Policy | Ministry of Foreign Affairs (urm.lt)

1990: The Baltic Information Bureau opened in Brussels. Its activities were devoted to international relations and to relations with the European Community and NATO.

1991: Lithuania together with Latvia and Estonia joined the North Atlantic Cooperation Council.

1994: President of the Republic of Lithuania Algirdas Brazauskas sent a letter to NATO Secretary General Manfred Woerner expressing the desire of Lithuania to become a NATO member. The letter stated the position based on the agreement on Lithuania’s aspiration to become a member of NATO signed by all parliamentary parties.

2002: seven NATO candidate countries – Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia – were invited to start accession negotiations with NATO.

2004: Prime Minister of the Republic of Lithuania Algirdas Brazauskas, during his visit in Washington, together with his Bulgarian, Estonian, Latvian, Romanian, Slovakian and Slovenian counterparts presented to the U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell ratification instruments of the Washington Treaty. On this historic day, Lithuania became a full-fledged member of NATO.

There are many reasons why Russia is not member of NATO, here are five of them: 5 Reasons Why Russia Will Never Join NATO (themoscowtimes.com)

Perhaps the first one mentioned is the most important one? NATO requires that its members have civilian and democratic control over their armed forces.
Since Turkey joined in 1952 there has been 4 coup d'etat by the military, the most recent one in 1997, you can hardly call Turkey a democracy then and even now it's hard to call them a democracy

Since 1952 when Turkey became a NATO member, there have been four successful coup d'etat, the most recent on in 1997, Turkey was not a democracy then and it's highly questionable if Turkey is a democracy now, coup d'etats are not common practice in democracies, the last coup attempt in Turkey was against current sitting president Erdogan in 2016, he manage to survive it. NATO can change the rules pending on how important they see a country to their own spheres of influence