Russia-Europe Energy Thread

swerve

Super Moderator
1. We cannot talk about thousands villages not even hundreds.
I said thousands planned, but the plans were mostly not carried out.

And while opinions differ, your cousin is the only person I've heard of with that particular one. When I was in Bucharest, I was told by everyone I spoke to that it was rather the other way round, that while one particularly fine church was saved - after protests - others were demolished, & that the area demolished had been of considerable historical and architectural interest: not in the sense of containing grand buildings, but because of its range of vernacular buildings from different periods. Of course, I cannot confirm this myself.

Stryker001

Banned Member
Putin knows it and I know it that one day will are all going to be fighting about who has more access to the sun and thus generates more energy for export to those who don't via solar power.

Ozzy Blizzard

Putin knows it and I know it that one day will are all going to be fighting about who has more access to the sun and thus generates more energy for export to those who don't via solar power.
There are a few more energy options in the mid term than solar. In a 30 year time frame we will see a Deuterium Fusion reactor that is commercially viable and with single digit GW power output. There is a possibility that we could see a viable reactor in 15 years based on the Z pinch design. Fusion promises almost limitless, clean, safe, carbon neutral energy, and by the time solar fully replaces fossil fuel power generation it will be a reasonably mature form of technology. Then maybe we will all have access to as much energy as any of us could want.

Stryker001

Banned Member
yeah sorry about that speaking of natural resources security if things are getting nasty over the oil and gas just wait until people are reliant on Russia for part of their H20, if they decide to market it as a export product.

www.irc.nl/page/31847
http://english.pravda.ru/business/finance/18-04-2008/104942-water-0

Brazil tops the list of big players in fresh water, with 12.7 percent of the world's renewable supply, while Russia is second with 10.2 percent and China trails third with 8.3 percent, according to the Washington-based World Resources Institute.www.globalpolicy.org/security/natres/water/2002/1216ru.htm

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/spains-drought-a-glimpse-of-our-future-833587.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3107893.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/03/sci_nat_enl_1059495705/html/1.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4086864.stm
www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,924639,00.html

2S1

Banned Member
This thread should have been shut down long-back.

It's full of fantasy, nationalism and wikipedia - nothing to do with Defence.

Back in the good old days, you'd have a response to you're defence related thread in under five minutes. Now...

You wait and hours for intelligent conversation.

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
yeah sorry about that speaking of natural resources security if things are getting nasty over the oil and gas just wait until people are reliant on Russia for part of their H20, if they decide to market it as a export product.
Get real. The transport cost of water is prohibitively high. Makes no economic sense. Cheaper to import the products made with it, & realign your economy to low water use, than import water for agricultural or industrial use. For domestic use, it's almost certainly cheaper to desalinate than transport over very long distances. The driest places tend to be hot & sunny, which makes solar-powered desalination (can be direct heating, rather than electrical conversion) attractive. Note that the Saudis have finally seen sense & decided to phase out subsidies to water-hungry economic activities. No more Saudi wheat surpluses . . . importing the wheat is easier & cheaper.

The only countries to which exporting Russian water might, perhaps, one day, be economically viable are in Central Asia - Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, & Turkmenistan. But remember that the Soviet grand projects to do just that were canned due to their vast cost.