Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Reminds me of the old saw; Yanks go ashore to get drunk and pass out, Aussies to get drunk and find females, and Kiwis to get drunk and fight someone…..
With Kiwi sailors it's a bit of get drunk, feed, fight and a shag and not necessarily in that order. BTW are we still banned from the Sydney Fleet Club?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

HMNZS Te Mana arrives home! after 1,200 days away she finally returned home today.
Yep, saw that. Some Senior Rate proposed to his girlfriend on the wharf; there goes his freedom and nights in the Senior Rates. ;) No more dungy runs ashore. :eek: Actually they probably don't have such things in todays navy, them being all PC, chaste, and pure.

It is good that she's back with the fleet. Hope won't take long for her to complete her fit outs and subsequent workups thereby achieving FOC.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
That project was a complete balls up, from the start. Why do most of our politicians lack so much will, when it comes to defence?
How about telling us something we don't know. If you read back through this thread and the NZDF for the last 10 years you will see that repeated ad nauseum. That's the advantage of reading back through threads - you just never know what you may learn.

Alberto32

How about telling us something we don't know. If you read back through this thread and the NZDF for the last 10 years you will see that repeated ad nauseum. That's the advantage of reading back through threads - you just never know what you may learn.
I just know this from history. That, and the continued blunders, without having to look at the all of the posts. Is this OK, or is this once again against the rules?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I just know this from history. That, and the continued blunders, without having to look at the all of the posts. Is this OK, or is this once again against the rules?
No it's not against the rules but the defence professionals, long time posters and Moderators get annoyed when we see the same thing being posted ad nauseum because people haven't bothered to read through the threads. It's also a way for you to learn as well and more than likely you will come across something or see something that may cause you to think and you may just come up with something new and post about it. That in turn may teach us all something new. You just never know. No matter how long you have been on here, you will always learn something new and that's one of the beauties about this forum.

Bloke

No it's not against the rules but the defence professionals, long time posters and Moderators get annoyed when we see the same thing being posted ad nauseum because people haven't bothered to read through the threads. It's also a way for you to learn as well and more than likely you will come across something or see something that may cause you to think and you may just come up with something new and post about it. That in turn may teach us all something new. You just never know. No matter how long you have been on here, you will always learn something new and that's one of the beauties about this forum.

You must mean high quality 'Verified Defence Pro' posts like #8641-8644? We learn a lot from those. :rolleyes:

Alberto32

I can understand this, but it doesn't help newbies, who despite probably looking through this, and still post stuff on here, and getting slammed for it, isn't exactly a helpful thing for users on here.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I can understand this, but it doesn't help newbies, who despite probably looking through this, and still post stuff on here, and getting slammed for it, isn't exactly a helpful thing for users on here.
There are few newbies who have this problem. They have good posting habits and appear to read back through a few pages or are aware of what is going on. We run this forum primarily for defence professionals and we have rules that outline our requirements and expectations. Read the rules like everyone else has had to, myself included when I first arrived here.

chis73

According to Radio NZ, a sizable chunk of our Navy is off to the Pacific on fisheries patrol for 3 months next week. (link). Operation Mahi Tahi (translates as Cooperation or Teamwork) will see ships HMNZS Wellington & Manawanui visit six Pacific nations. A P-3 Orion will apparently also fly maritime surveillance missions (but seeing as we currently have only four, they're 50+ years old, and maybe half the squadron may well be in the process of converting to the P-8 - perhaps not all that many). They are also going to boost engagement with the Pacific Defence Gender Network (whatever that may be, I shudder to think)

Had a wee giggle at the new Anzac class video (posted by MarkMiles77 above). Sea Ceptor launch video nicked from a Royal Navy Type 23 (don't recall seeing a RN/UK MOD credit for the footage either).

Did come across an interesting proposal (worth a read) for the USCG to base some new patrol boats (Sentinel Fast Response Cutters) out of Pago Pago in American Samoa. I hope that happens, makes a lot of sense (link)

Moderator Edit - Add link to Minister Of Defence Public Release.
Minister of Defence - Defence Force to support Pacific on maritime security

Ngatimozart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xthenaki

According to Radio NZ, a sizable chunk of our Navy is off to the Pacific on fisheries patrol for 3 months next week. (link). Operation Mahi Tahi (translates as Cooperation or Teamwork) will see ships HMNZS Wellington & Manawanui visit six Pacific nations. A P-3 Orion will apparently also fly maritime surveillance missions (but seeing as we currently have only four, they're 50+ years old, and maybe half the squadron may well be in the process of converting to the P-8 - perhaps not all that many). They are also going to boost engagement with the Pacific Defence Gender Network (whatever that may be, I shudder to think)

Had a wee giggle at the new Anzac class video (posted by MarkMiles77 above). Sea Ceptor launch video nicked from a Royal Navy Type 23 (don't recall seeing a RN/UK MOD credit for the footage either).

Did come across an interesting proposal (worth a read) for the USCG to base some new patrol boats (Sentinel Fast Response Cutters) out of Pago Pago in American Samoa. I hope that happens, makes a lot of sense (link)

Moderator Edit - Add link to Minister Of Defence Public Release.
Minister of Defence - Defence Force to support Pacific on maritime security

Ngatimozart.

recce.k1

Admittedly had to look it up (Pacific Defence Gender Network) as my mind starting wandering on the possibilities ... but no it is to "promote the meaningful participation of women in Pacific defence forces through annual seminars and increased collaboration" according to former DefMin Ron Mark when he launched the initiative in 2019 involving Fiji, Tonga, PNG, Vanuatu, the ADF and the NZDF. So a "good thing" especially if it helps with recruitment and retention.

Surprised the Solomon Islands isn't being visited as I recall DefMin Henare "hitting it off" with his Solomon Is. counterparts a couple of months ago (or "bros" - his words not mine, the interview is on the NZDF threads here) and he explicitly said maritime surveillance was an important issue for them and that NZ would help ... so perhaps a forthcoming initiative hopefully?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Admittedly had to look it up (Pacific Defence Gender Network) as my mind starting wandering on the possibilities ... but no it is to "promote the meaningful participation of women in Pacific defence forces through annual seminars and increased collaboration" according to former DefMin Ron Mark when he launched the initiative in 2019 involving Fiji, Tonga, PNG, Vanuatu, the ADF and the NZDF. So a "good thing" especially if it helps with recruitment and retention.

Surprised the Solomon Islands isn't being visited as I recall DefMin Henare "hitting it off" with his Solomon Is. counterparts a couple of months ago (or "bros" - his words not mine, the interview is on the NZDF threads here) and he explicitly said maritime surveillance was an important issue for them and that NZ would help ... so perhaps a forthcoming initiative hopefully?
We've got military and cops on the ground there at the moment.