Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

At lakes

its common knowledge that the two inshore patrol boats have been sold to the Irish Navy. It appears that they will loaded onboard a heavy lift ship tomorrow at Captain Cook Wharf. It should make a good photo for any in the area.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
its common knowledge that the two inshore patrol boats have been sold to the Irish Navy. It appears that they will loaded onboard a heavy lift ship tomorrow at Captain Cook Wharf. It should make a good photo for any in the area.

1680757322184.png
Source: Royal New Zealand Navy

Looks like the loading is already underway.

ADDITION: It appears that the govt has decided not to close the Devonport Naval Base, but is seriously considering another naval base to be built at Whangarei. Unfortunately the article is paywalled and hopefully removed from the paywall over the weekend.

Last edited:

BullyHayes

One of these patrol crafts - P72 - was loaded today as deck cargo on the merch vsl Happy Dynamic

I have a nice picture of it from my office window but perhaps don't have forum permission to post it yet?

BullyHayes

View attachment 50404
Source: Royal New Zealand Navy

Looks like the loading is already underway.

ADDITION: It appears that the govt has decided not to close the Devonport Naval Base, but is seriously considering another naval base to be built at Whangarei. Unfortunately the article is paywalled and hopefully removed from the paywall over the weekend.

Oh okay - you beat me to it by a few minutes

chis73

[/URL]
It would appear that Mr Sachdeva is referencing this report from last November - link here (apparently the 32nd or 33rd in 25 years to contemplate moving DNB). As I expected, cabinet balked again on doing anything substantial as soon as the estimates came in. Trouble is, someone needs to do something soon. The talk in the report of freeing up Auckland waterfront development space sounds pretty stupid to me. I don't particularly care if it is Whangarei or somewhere else (Wellington, Picton, Dunedin?), but they need to get moving on a supplementary base with lower living costs than Devonport. If they go ahead with the floating dry dock project (how's that going? - the business case report must be due back soon, if not already in), then expanding facilities at Whangarei is probably the easiest option. I'd start with moving the Naval Patrol Force (OPVs & IPVs) - I'd even consider forming them into their own sub-command (as in the Norwegian Navy), and add the SOPV if it ever gets built. To my mind, Whangarei would also be a good place to base a 3rd regular infantry battalion if the Army expands to 6000 personnel.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
From the Sam Sachdeva article in Newsroom:

In a statement, Defence Minister Andrew Little told Newsroom the decision to keep the Navy's home in Devonport "puts to bed years of debate over and many reports about [its] future location".
While there would be benefits in having a forward operating base located in Whangarei, Little said significant scoping and investigation into its viability was needed before any investment could be made.
“Any future investigations into land for use as a naval base in the wider Whangārei harbour is taking into careful consideration the cultural, environmental and safety issues of the proposal. Any potential physical relocation of the Navy would be a long-term project."

That's good. However politics is politics and some future pollie is bound to change it.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
What a beauty, exciting times for the littoral warfare team!

Can't quite read the nameplate on the Frigate behind but presumably that's Te Mana judging by her state - but any idea if Te Kaha is still in drydock?
Frigate needs a cleanup. Looks like a bloody scranbag.

RegR

What a beauty, exciting times for the littoral warfare team!

Can't quite read the nameplate on the Frigate behind but presumably that's Te Mana judging by her state - but any idea if Te Kaha is still in drydock?
The frenchies just came out so it very well could be?

recce.k1

MAN was in the drydock the other day , lots happening allover her , fasinating design , we should have bought her sistership too, the sistership was a tad " well used" but a great asset none the less
Manawanui - which vessel was the original sistership?

Gibbo

Presumably that's one of the 3 x Littoral manouvre craft the RNZN are due to get... they supposedly will deploy MCM; REA teams etc & carry stern-ramp (?) for a zodiac to allow those teams to be deployed at distance... doesn't look like a lot of room for a zodiac but I guess they're built to project spec. With a stern-loaded zodiac they ought to have a transom that will allow easy access for divers & MCM (REMUS) operators to operate directly overboard too.

Interestingly I have seen very little mention about the REA boats Takapau & Tarapunga that were built a few years back to specific specs (including C-130H cartage). I'm guessing that those 2 x REA boats may have been a flop... anyone currently RNZN care to elaborate? Certainly these new toys will do what the REA boats were meant to do plus a whole more besides.

<edit> sometimes you find what you want in the most unlikely of places... here is a still from the RNZN's FB post about 'School to Seas 2023'...lo and behold there is a view of the 'transom ramp' (well what do we call it?) for docking the zodiac on the stern of the new littoral manourvre craft:
1681894732997.png

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A RFI has been issued for the SH-2G(I) Seasprite replacement. This is the Maritime Helicopter Replacement Project (MHR)

Details are:

The Project scope includes:
(a) Medium Naval Helicopters;
(b) Uncrewed Aerial Systems;
(c) Through Life Support solutions;
(d) Training System solutions;
(e) Mission Support System and system integration;
(f) Infrastructure (both ashore and embarked);
(g) Integration into the Maritime System of Systems;
(h) Future operating concepts; and
(i) Future personnel operating model.
The MHR will be used to respond to a wide range of New Zealand and partner military tasks
(within contested and uncontested environments). New Zealand Government agencies will
also be supported by the inherent multi-role nature of the capability. These roles include:
(a) Military Roles:
(i) Anti-Surface Warfare (ASuW);
(ii) Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW);
(iii) Joint Fires Support (JFS);
(iv) Intelligence Reconnaissance and Surveillance (ISR); and
(v) Force Protection (FP); and

(b) Support Operations:
(i) Search and Rescue (SAR);
(ii) Utility – Air Logistics Support (ALS) such as Vertical Replenishment (VERTREP);
(iii) Casualty Evacuation; and
(iv) Boarding Operations.
MHR’s roles will reflect contemporary solutions, with the ability to conduct multi-domain
warfare. These roles include an increase in littoral and land effects and interoperability with
coalition forces, as well as the opportunities presented by Uncrewed Aerial Systems (UAS).
Integrated Logistics Support (ILS): The overall logistics support concept is to ensure
that the systems acquired fit, wherever able, into existing Defence support systems and
structures. This includes the management and technical process through which
supportability and logistics support considerations of capability systems are defined,
developed, integrated and sustained through all phases of the capability system’s life
cycle. The components of ILS as defined by Defence are:

(i) engineering support;
(ii) maintenance support;
(iii) supply support;
(iv) packaging, handling, storage and transportation;
(v) training and training support;
(vi) facilities;
(vii) support and test equipment;
(viii) personnel;
(ix) technical data management; and
(x) computer support;
Responses to this RFI must be received by 4.00p.m. (NZT) on 21 June 2023

This is an RFI only and doesn't imply that all of the capabilities listed will feature on any future RFP / RFT.

Gibbo

M134 Minigun trialed on HMNZS Canterbury for force protection

Next phase up from the land tests in Whangaparaoa.
Crikey I expected to see the tomato shredded... looks like it only got wet! Presume that's on the roof of the bridge... pity they can't find something to cover the unprotected stern area!

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Crikey I expected to see the tomato shredded... looks like it only got wet! Presume that's on the roof of the bridge... pity they can't find something to cover the unprotected stern area!
The killer tomato survives. Sounded like a 50 cal shooting as well.

"... pity they can't find something to cover the unprotected stern area!"

They have one of HMNZS Achilles 6in gun turrets at Devonport. :cool:

Avangard

Looking at the background I presume it is located above the port wing of the bridge:

Screenshot 2023-05-01 190208.jpg

Though I don't find much sense for that position as it doesn't add much to the firing arc of the 25 mm. A mount amidships or aft would indeed be more useful.