Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

t68

May be get a P3 to lob a 500lb bomb at and see if they can hit it or just stun the local fish, could be fun.

Yep you have to take these opportunity when they arise, reminds me of the Pong Su and F111 they don’t come up very often

chis73

Just noticed from the RNZN web site that HMNZS Aotearoa's full load of TEU's has nearly doubled from originally stated 12 to 22.
Some tweaking of the deck arrangements no doubt. http://navy.mil.nz/downloads/pdf/rnzn-fleet-today/hmnzs-aotearoa-factsheet-web.pdf
Previously the maximum number of containers was reported as 20. 12 was the number that could be carried single-stacked (4 forward, 8 amidships on the 'meccano' deck). to carry 20, the meccano deck was double-stacked. So, a marginal increase, certainly not doubled.

CJohn

Previously the maximum number of containers was reported as 20. 12 was the number that could be carried single-stacked (4 forward, 8 amidships on the 'meccano' deck). to carry 20, the meccano deck was double-stacked. So, a marginal increase, certainly not doubled.
Can't find any official reporting of max. TEU's at 20. Previously from the Navy site RNZN - Media Releases
And from other media releases, HMNZS Aotearoa Logistics Support Vessel - Naval Technology

Happy that the max is now at 22 TEU;s though.

Nighthawk.NZ

Can't find any official reporting of max. TEU's at 20. Previously from the Navy site RNZN - Media Releases
And from other media releases, HMNZS Aotearoa Logistics Support Vessel - Naval Technology

Happy that the max is now at 22 TEU;s though.
Same, I can't find any official document stating there is an increase. Closest I can find... is the official art from the RNZN where they state 12. However, usually, they will report the minimum number they wish the vessel to be able to carry, and if they can squeeze more into the design is a bonus.

Lots of little things have changed throughout the design and build, fully laden from 24,000t to 26,000, length 166.2m to 173.2. Pennant number keeping HMNZS Endeavour's old A11 not the reported A12 and a few other minor things etc

However, nothing major that will affect her operational duties... other than maybe her weapons might only "be fitted for but not with"... Which is something I have always disagreed with.

Last edited:

chis73

Same, I can't find any official document stating there is an increase. Closest I can find... is the official art from the RNZN where they state 12. However, usually, they will report the minimum number they wish the vessel to be able to carry, and if they can squeeze more into the design is a bonus.

Lots of little things have changed throughout the design and build, fully laden from 24,000t to 26,000, length 166.2m to 173.2. Pennant number keeping HMNZS Endeavour's old A11 not the reported A12 and a few other minor things etc

However, nothing major that will affect her operational duties... other than maybe her weapons might only "be fitted for but not with"... Which is something I have always disagreed with.
Guess I will have to help you guys out then. See p.6 of Navy Today No. 202 (August 2016) - which is where Nighthawk appears to have got his graphics from.

"It has a 12-container capacity, at 25 tonnes each, including four with dangerous goods, but another eight containers could be added, says Mr Sullivan."

Even back then it was proposed that it would be FFBNW:

"The design allows for future placement of two mini-Typhoon light weapon stations, port and starboard, and is designed to have a Phalanx weapon system on the bow."

Regards,

Chis73

Nighthawk.NZ

"It has a 12-container capacity, at 25 tonnes each, including four with dangerous goods, but another eight containers could be added, says Mr Sullivan."
another eight... it is now another ten... as it now 22 Containers not 20... which is what started this topic... at the end of the day meh! lol I have know it it has been at least 20 containers for ex-number of years... lol they are now saying 22 that's all.

Nighthawk.NZ said:
However, usually, they will report the minimum number they wish the vessel to be able to carry,
which is where Nighthawk appears to have got his graphics from.
Some random graphic of the interwebs that everyone copied ;-) from some random website lol

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A few pages ago there’re so talks about OPV designs from Vard Marine, so allow me to post photo of the first ship of the class of the Vard 7 125 OPV, launched today and is going to be operated by the ROC (Taiwanese) Coast Guard.
Nice photo.

@wowu5 IS IT YOUR PHOTO OR HAVE YOU SOURCED IT FROM ELSEWHERE? I SEE A WATERMARK EMBEDDED IN IT. CAN YOU PLEASE EDIT YOUR POST TO INCLUDE THE ORIGINAL SOURCE. IT'S A REQUIREMENT OF THE FORUM AND IN THE RULES. IT PROTECTS BOTH YOU AND THE FORUM AGAINST ACCUSATIONS OF PLAGIARISM. RULE #14.

In all the previous pictures of HMNZS Aotearoa I have seen (e.g. the one at the bottom of #7,546), the exhaust stacks are shown 'clean' on their aft and outboard sides.
However, recent photographs show antenna mounts scabbed on to their outboard sides and, more interestingly, a decent-sized 'balcony deck' on their aft sides.
I guess they'd make a reasonable Goofers Gallery for idlers to watch the helicopters come and go, but I'm guessing that's not what they're actually for ;). They might be for mounting fire-fighting monitors, and/or a place to put a pair of .50-cal pintle mounts, or ...?
Can anyone say what is their official function?

Twitter HMNZS Aotearoa Stbd qtr view.jpg
Source: Official RNZN Twitter account

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
In all the previous pictures of HMNZS Aotearoa I have seen (e.g. the one at the bottom of #7,546), the exhaust stacks are shown 'clean' on their aft and outboard sides.
However, recent photographs show antenna mounts scabbed on to their outboard sides and, more interestingly, a decent-sized 'balcony deck' on their aft sides.
I guess they'd make a reasonable Goofers Gallery for idlers to watch the helicopters come and go, but I'm guessing that's not what they're actually for ;). They might be for mounting fire-fighting monitors, and/or a place to put a pair of .50-cal pintle mounts, or ...?
Can anyone say what is their official function?
G'day cobber and welcome to the forum.

I am unsure myself, but possibly could be walkways for maintenance access as well. That's just my guess.

Lucasnz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A photo in the navy today shows the cabling beside the Phalanx mounting. It is close enough that could form the power source. The view in the photo is from the bow, but looking aft (the angle is not great for it either) I cannot see the proposed spots on the aft end of the flight deck for the the typhoon mounts (that were in some of the original prints put out). Given the layout of the flight deck guard rails on the port and standard aft ends of the flight deck I would hazard the typhoon mounts have been relocated. Speculation on my part (but I'm allowed to have some fun).

On a side note the Navy took charge of Te Kaha and completed set to work for the CMS in April in conjunction with the contractor.

Nighthawk.NZ

Stuff said:
Navy waiting on clearance to send 140 staff to Canada

The Navy is preparing to ship nearly 140 staff to Canada.

The crew of the HMNZS Te Kaha, one of two Navy frigates receiving combat upgrades in Canada, are planning to join their frigate next week once granted clearance by Canadian authorities.

Canada has counted 93,157 cases of Covid-19 and 7637 deaths, has closed its border to "non-discretionary" travel, and requires anyone entering the country to self-isolate for 14 days.

A Defence Force spokeswoman, in a statement, said the Navy crew will prepare the Te Kaha for trials on the sea, and will return the vessels to New Zealand.

"Defence is working with the Canadian Government on the entry requirements, including the requirement to self isolate for 14 days upon arrival. We do not yet have confirmation of the entry requirements," the spokeswoman said.

The Navy had 69 staff return from Canada in March as Covid-19 began to spread across the world. The spokeswoman said a number of staff remained in the country to continue essential work, but did not specify how many.

"All Navy and Ministry of Defence personnel will observe all relevant local Covid-19 regulations in returning to Canada, staying in Canada, or upon return to New Zealand," the spokeswoman said.

The Te Kaha has been in Canada since 2018, receiving upgrades on its missiles, anti-ship missile decoys, sonar and underwater telephone, and torpedo defence system.

The upgrades for the two frigates was budgeted at $446 million in 2014, with another $148m committed to the project in 2017.
Navy waiting on clearance to send 140 staff to Canada

Not long now... and we will have one back in NZ waters... as long as if the trials go ok and nothing major goes wrong...

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Picton.jpg
@Lucasnz & @MrConservative If a naval base was built at Picton, whereabouts would you locate it? You would want it somewhere with close road access to the town and relatively little travel time.
Shakespeare Bay.jpg
At the first glance Shakespeare Bay would be quite good because it's close and meets that criteria.
chart-nz-6154-tory-channel-entrance-and-picton-harbour.jpg
However as can be seen from the hydrographic chart, the deepest water is around the Waimahara wharf where the log export loading is done. I think that there is room for a base to be built at the southern end of the bay with wharves jutting out well past the 5 m isobath out to the restricted area.

Nighthawk.NZ

New Zealand Navy's largest ever ship Aotearoa, built by Hyundai Heavy Industries, is on its way to New Zealand, after Hyundai held a departure ceremony in its shipyard in South Korea on Wednesday.

Ordered in 2016, the $493 million Aotearoa is an Auxiliary Oiler Replenishment (AOR) vessel that will be used to support Royal New Zealand Navy’s combat operations, humanitarian relief functions, and operational and training support.

The vessel is built according to the Rolls-Royce Environship concept design, with a wave-piercing bow which reduces resistance and lowers fuel burn.

It is ice-strengthened to Polar Class level 6 for Southern Ocean monitoring and Antarctic operations including the resupply of McMurdo Station and Scott Base.

The 173 meters long Aotearoa will provide global sustainment to New Zealand and coalition maritime, land and air units, and United Nations security operations through resupply of ship and aviation fuel, dry goods, water, spare parts, and ammunition.

New Zealand's Largest Ever Naval Vessel Delivered in S. Korea

Not long now...

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I am not completely convinced that Picton is the best place. I would want to see a thorough multi-city evaluation take place.
Neither am I for a variety of reasons. In times of conflict a fleet can be bottled up in Queen Charlotte Sound with only two entrances out; one at the Sound entrance, and the other through Tory Channel. Secondly, there is a natural hazard component there with the possiblity of damage due to seismic events. It's in a rather active seismic area. Thirdly, Picton & Blenheim doesn't offer a lot for family who have their own careers. Whilst Wellington is closes as the kea flies, it's expensive to fly across the strait or time consuming to take the ferry, 3+ hours each way, and that's on a good day.

Lyttelton ticks all the boxes bar one. Theres no real room in the harbour for a naval base, unless very expensive and time consuming reclamation works are considered. Wellington has its own problems with natural hazards and the possibility that the fleet would be left stranded high and dry after a major earthquake. Historically all the major quakes that have occurred in the Wairarapa fault have uplifted the eastern part of the Wairarapa, with the last uplift in 1855 being ~6 m. From memory I think that is the fault that runs up Tinakori Rd, about 250 m west of Parliament. I used to run up it when I was based at DEFHQ. Maybe Timaru as an outsider. Dunedin?

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
The reality is that a 2nd "naval base" in the South Island would only be a minor base - for example basing only the SOPV / OPV's and a place for the CY to berth occasionally so that Burnham can hitch a ride somewhere. In other words a small footprint.

Shanesworld

New Plymouth has been suggested here before. With the industrial and engineering capabilities and recent oil exploration policies would it be viable to build one large base and look to re orientate those oil industry pers to naval support and perhaps..... Naval fit out of future hulls?