Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

RegR

We learn something new every day. I didn't realise that Canterbury had the nice little Danish trick of the trap door in the flight deck. It was taken at RIMPAC with RNZN, NZ Army and USN personnel loading containers into Canterbury. Photo was tweeted by RNZN CN.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Br5Xc_xCAAEv9Ts.jpg
Sorry Ngati was supposed to bring this up with you before as I'm sure you referenced it (or lack of) in another post but got distracted and forgot. Also assumed it was a known up until then, my bad.

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
We learn something new every day. I didn't realise that Canterbury had the nice little Danish trick of the trap door in the flight deck. It was taken at RIMPAC with RNZN, NZ Army and USN personnel loading containers into Canterbury. Photo was tweeted by RNZN CN.
Im sure ive seen a photo of a LOV being lifted out of that trap door but then again I could of been watching it for real oh well old age does catch up sooner or later.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Pain in the rear to get back in, but handy. Theres also a gap inside the hanger towards the forward part for transferring items from below with a small crane

recce.k1

Defence now has NZG approval to seek a replacement for HMNZS Endeavour, MoD expected to release a request for tender early in the new year. Would be interesting to see the responses to the previous RFI to get an indication of what type of vessel/capability Navy prefers, I guess we'll have to wait and see what pans out.

Navy seeks tanker replacement for Endeavour

Defence Minister Jonathan Coleman says the Government has given approval for the NZDF to seek a replacement for the naval tanker HMNZS Endeavour.

“To operate effectively the NZDF needs to provide fuel and logistical support to its deployed ships, helicopters and vehicles,” says Dr Coleman.

“This capability is crucial given New Zealand’s vast maritime area, and our security and disaster relief responsibilities in the South Pacific. Without it NZDF operations would be limited in duration or dependent on our partners.

“The new tanker will be a significant enhancement in capability. It will increase the NZDF’s ability to support and sustain Navy, Army and Air Force operations at home and further afield.

“The tanker will be able to store a large amount of fuel, including aviation fuel, store supplies and ammunition, and accommodate an NH90 or Seasprite helicopter.

“This capability is needed as the NZDF has more ships which can embark new helicopters, and it is crucial that the tanker can support the Joint Task Force as set out in the 2010 Defence White Paper.

“Possible winterisation features will also be considered which could enable the tanker to resupply bases in Antarctica.”

HMNZS Endeavour will reach the end of her service life in 2018. Maintenance costs are increasing, and the vessel will face non-compliance issues with new international maritime regulations.

The request for tender is expected to be issued by the Ministry of Defence in early 2015. A final recommendation will be made to Cabinet in mid-2016.

beehive.govt.nz - Navy seeks tanker replacement for Endeavour

kiwi in exile

Im sure ive seen a photo of a LOV being lifted out of that trap door but then again I could of been watching it for real oh well old age does catch up sooner or later.
Also some recent photos on NZDF facebook pg or USN humvee being unloaded from said hatch at RIMPAC 14.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Defence now has NZG approval to seek a replacement for HMNZS Endeavour, MoD expected to release a request for tender early in the new year. Would be interesting to see the responses to the previous RFI to get an indication of what type of vessel/capability Navy prefers, I guess we'll have to wait and see what pans out.
This is interesting and I get the impression from the that Ministers release they, as in the NZG, are wanting the ice capability. What will be interesting and far more enlightening of course is the RFT document. Ah well we'll have to wait and see what is released into the public domain.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also some recent photos on NZDF facebook pg or USN humvee being unloaded from said hatch at RIMPAC 14.
OPSSG posted them today or yesterday and now I've lost them?
Guys, the link to the post (of lifting a Humvee and supplies into the cargo deck of HMNZS CANTERBURY) is here at reply #79 (see paragraph 22, below sub-para 'three'). Sorry for the confusion, as I've added a few more RIMPAC 2014 pictures (of the Aster firing) to page 6 the Singapore Navy picture thread.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks OPSSG - I note NZ might be allowed to berth in Pearl Harbour again, but there's a big hole in that RIMPAC map where there should be a certain country :eek:nfloorl:
I too noticed that HMNZS CANTERBURY was berthed with the other ships during the harbour phase and I've seen a NZDF video to that effect (see: http://youtu.be/vetEeEvXyuo).

Sorry. I just took the map from the Singapore Navy facebook page, which was trying tell Singaporeans (who think that a half hour drive is a long drive) that it took over 20-days to steam 5,800 nautical miles, to Guam and then onward to Hawaii - having said that the SG Navy facebook should be more careful, when editing maps to tell a story directed at Singaporean facebook fans. How can they miss-out middle earth and the land of Hobbits, Elfs, Orcs and magic? Sigh. hehe

Last edited:

RegR

Just out of curiosity, anyone in the know have any idea how those millennium guns rate and how they compare to phalanx in terms of capability, usefulness, operation etc in a RNZN context. They seem good I just do not know enough about them and how they fair up against our current CIWS.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The RFT for the Provision of Support Services to aid in the development of the tender documentation and evaluation of designs and tenders for the Maritime Sustainment Capability has been released. Not sure what's in it as can't access it at moment.

Gracie1234

I was just reading on the RNZN website that the Protector fleet are going to get upgraded sensors and mission systems. Does anyone have an idea on what these could be? Capabilities required to perform their role.

Gibbo

Navy to drop half its patrol vessels - Politics News | TVNZ

Looks like if National win the election then a third OPV will be brought and two IPV will be sold could be something in what Phil Goff has to say about a drop off in requests from other departments using the IPV.
Actually reading the article it's not much more than a rehash of stuff that's already been discussed - and is clearly a pre-election beat-up by Labour.

Yes laying up of IPVs isn't great, and there are issues with morale, retention etc, but those issues & laying up of IPVs is already the case AFAIK, and certainly not 'new' news!

Then there's the bagging of the SH2G(i) as cheap Aussie cast-offs, all clearly worded as only a politician can!

CJohn

I was just reading on the RNZN website that the Protector fleet are going to get upgraded sensors and mission systems. Does anyone have an idea on what these could be? Capabilities required to perform their role.
I believe this is refering to outstanding remediation works on the Protector fleet.

The installation of a radar on Canterbury that is able to track aircraft, a radar detection system on all Protector vessels, replacement gun systems on Canty and OPV's ( Toplite Typhoon ) and Toplite electro optical systems on the IPV's.

chis73

Two quick points:

1. the link in CD's post is to a story from 2012. Is there some special relevance?

2. The possibility of a 3rd OPV was raised some month's back (and discussed in this thread). The crew would probably come from the frigates (one of which will be in refit for most of the next few years). Whether another OPV would be a 3rd Otago class, if it happens at all, is anyone's guess.

I guess I've always had some doubts regarding the IPVs: everytime I read a story on them they seem to be running for shelter as soon as a storm brews up. Too much of a one trick pony as well? It seems they are too much ship for the reserves to handle. Guess I would have preferred a larger but slower multirole vessel (maybe 1000t of so).

Who would we sell them to?

Chis73