Royal New Zealand Air Force

recce.k1

So wonder what brings a Wedgetail to NZ? Airspace familiarisation and deployment training for the RAAF? Or showing the RNZAF its capabilities to help shape future defence review planning?

PS nice photos ImJustDubzzz (and perfect timing with the Seasprite coming into the frame)!

So wonder what brings a Wedgetail to NZ? Airspace familiarisation and deployment training for the RAAF?

PS nice photos ImJustDubzzz (and perfect timing with the Seasprite coming into the frame)!
They were here for aircrew training, hopped over to christchurch from RAAF Williamtown, then up to Ohakea and after that Whenuapai then they left for Williamtown after a few hours break. Thank you, and the Seasprite did fly in for a perfect timing!

Or showing the RNZAF its capabilities to help shape future defence review planning
Oh I wish, it'd mean a revival of the Air Combat Force which we would all love ;)

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Ummm thinking of a another sentence so I have a sentence as per the rules... ummm shiny

Looks great. They reckon that it'll be here by the end of the year so that's good. The markings are a darker shade than those on the Orion which I think is better and the grey appears to be the same as the USN / RAAF grey. I presume that the wing roundels are on the upper port and lower starboard.

recce.k1

Definitely a good sight to see. Some minor "cosmetic" points, curious that the "NZ" serial number is rather prominent (especially compared to the roundel), not saying good or bad, but just saying its noticeably larger than that seen on the P-3K or C-130H or B757 which are more low-key (has RNZAF made a change to the sizing ... or did Boeing do it and if so expect the RNZAF to re-paint them smaller in time (and with a narrower width)?

But perhaps just me, would like to have seen a bit more colour a la the USN & RAF P-8's (rather than yet more grey on grey)!

RegR

Looks great. They reckon that it'll be here by the end of the year so that's good. The markings are a darker shade than those on the Orion which I think is better and the grey appears to be the same as the USN / RAAF grey. I presume that the wing roundels are on the upper port and lower starboard.
I would actually like to see them in the darker C130/NH90 grey personally, anything but "stock" so our P8s stand out somewhat yet still maintain its military camouflage.

I do still like the black on grey viz scheme though, looks good on the 757.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Definitely a good sight to see. Some minor "cosmetic" points, curious that the "NZ" serial number is rather prominent (especially compared to the roundel), not saying good or bad, but just saying its noticeably larger than that seen on the P-3K or C-130H or B757 which are more low-key (has RNZAF made a change to the sizing ... or did Boeing do it and if so expect the RNZAF to re-paint them smaller in time (and with a narrower width)?

But perhaps just me, would like to have seen a bit more colour a la the USN & RAF P-8's (rather than yet more grey on grey)!
There is debate in certain circles that the serial number is not in the RNZAF font of Universal J which is a RNZAF specific font. It certainly doesn't look like it. Yes they do look a tad large as well. Methinks Boeing may have stuffed up. We don't go for flashy stuff on our aircraft because it costs a lot to paint. Also the object of the exercise is to blend in, not to stand out. It's not grey on grey, but black on grey, with a hint of red on the engine nacelles warning the unwary about the spinny hot bits inside the nacelles.
I would actually like to see them in the darker C130/NH90 grey personally, anything but "stock" so our P8s stand out somewhat yet still maintain its military camouflage.
No the idea is to blend in and the darker grey would have them sticking out like a hippy on a RSM's inspection. Actually if I had my way the NH90s and Hercs would have the Skyhawk three tone lizard cam scheme from the early 1990s. They too stick out like like said hippy.
I do still like the black on grey viz scheme though, looks good on the 757.
757??? Actually it would look great on the B757 and all our aircraft. We should move away from the red, white and blue roundels because black is our national colour. Actually the RAAF use a silver roundel on their Hawk LIFT aircraft and that colour would look really great to replace the red, white, and blue roundel colours.

RegR

No the idea is to blend in and the darker grey would have them sticking out like a hippy on a RSM's inspection. Actually if I had my way the NH90s and Hercs would have the Skyhawk three tone lizard cam scheme from the early 1990s. They too stick out like like said hippy.

757??? Actually it would look great on the B757 and all our aircraft. We should move away from the red, white and blue roundels because black is our national colour. Actually the RAAF use a silver roundel on their Hawk LIFT aircraft and that colour would look really great to replace the red, white, and blue roundel colours.
So C130s and the 90s are not trying to blend in?? Sure that's news to them. Ironically out of all of them the 757 IS the platform not too fussed about blending in being the least tactical and all, it is literally on show for NZ, hence the flashes. A submarine crew shouldnt see a P8 at all all things going to plan whereas a rescued crew should see a P8 ASAP by all accounts. Wildly differing scenarios of employment for all, still military, but differing nonetheless.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
So C130s and the 90s are not trying to blend in?? Sure that's news to them. Ironically out of all of them the 757 IS the platform not too fussed about blending in being the least tactical and all, it is literally on show for NZ, hence the flashes. A submarine crew shouldnt see a P8 at all all things going to plan whereas a rescued crew should see a P8 ASAP by all accounts. Wildly differing scenarios of employment for all, still military, but differing nonetheless.
No they aren't. Think of it in a tactical sense. You are in a helo coming in low against bush and other greenery, down a valley or near a hill or whatever. The enemy is going to see a bleedin' great dark grey thing sticking out like kuri nuts. Same with a Herc on a tactical mission. Makes a luverly target for some joker with a HMG, MANPAD, or something bigger. Why do you think the Poms paint their Herky birds jungly colours. Or the Aussie army their helos that funny colour scheme.

WRT the P-8 it's not just subs that they have to worry about but unfriendly aircraft, ships etc., even civilian ships because they require to be unobserved otherwise it may hinder their job. ASW is all about information and intelligence and that works both ways. Finding a sub is the hardest, most difficult bit and very little bit helps. As far as SAR is concerned that's of secondary consideration and of no military value. You know that I know that.

RegR

No they aren't. Think of it in a tactical sense. You are in a helo coming in low against bush and other greenery, down a valley or near a hill or whatever. The enemy is going to see a bleedin' great dark grey thing sticking out like kuri nuts. Same with a Herc on a tactical mission. Makes a luverly target for some joker with a HMG, MANPAD, or something bigger. Why do you think the Poms paint their Herky birds jungly colours. Or the Aussie army their helos that funny colour scheme.

WRT the P-8 it's not just subs that they have to worry about but unfriendly aircraft, ships etc., even civilian ships because they require to be unobserved otherwise it may hinder their job. ASW is all about information and intelligence and that works both ways. Finding a sub is the hardest, most difficult bit and very little bit helps. As far as SAR is concerned that's of secondary consideration and of no military value. You know that I know that.
So no they aren't trying to blend in?? I beg to differ, I think they are, hence the colour schemes, it's kinda the whole point with camouflage. If a P8s getting low enough or in range to be seen by a ship then it wants to be seen by a ship otherwise those $million optics and sensors are all rather over priced and over kill then aren't they? A submarine is not worried what shade of grey a P8 is, any naval ship with any decent radar isnt actually and will "see" an aircraft before it "sees" the aircraft and vice versa for a P8. The lifesaver here is standoff and any visual at sea in this day and age (for either) means the ships generally already hit the fan as the days of a sailor sitting in the crows nest with a pair of binos at sea are long over. I get why the sprites are the light grey "naval cam" being low and slow on the horizon but just not as much of a consideration for a P8, yes still a consideration, just not as much imo, and if it is then somebody has already mucked up. There are plenty of "differing grey" MPAs out there currently and they all seem to be doing a stand up job. We'll just agree, you like the lighter shade and I like darker.

As far as SAR is concerned, actually for NZ, I would say sub hunting was more the secondary consideration in all honesty and I'm betting it will reflect in their employment and training outputs accordingly. Long range maritime surveillance/search being the priority and just like most things NZDF, combat ability is more of a inevitable by product and just like the p3s combat fitout will be more an added (or not) bonus come upgrade time, hopefully, in fact will still be surprised what offensive (combat) capabilities the new kids on the block are going to come with (or not) as it is...FFBNW anyone?

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
In regards to camo I remember a few things from some years ago(having been on this world for more than 3 quarters of a century) In the early 80's I was flying a glider out of Ohakea one weekend when I was contacted by ATC to be aware of an inbound VIP Andover, The grey/ blue/white variety. Coming in on my horizon I found the damn thing impossible to see until he was quite close and had dropped well below my horizon. Several weeks later the same situation arose while flying locally but this time it was a camo Andover, this was much easier to see, but got more difficult as it dropped below the horizon. So what is the story leading to, nothing really, just felt like telling it. HORSES FOR COURSES.:D

Last edited:

RegR

In regards to camo I remember a few things from some years ago(having been on this world for more than 3 quarters of a century) In the early 80's I was flying a glider out of Ohakea one weekend when I was contacted by ATC to be aware of an inbound VIP Andover, The grey/ blue/white variety. Coming in on my horizon I found the damn thing impossible to see until he was qite close and had dropped well below my horizon. Several weeks later the same situation arose while flying locally but this time it was a camo Andover, this was much easier to see, but got more difficult as it dropped below the horizon. So what is the story leading to, nothing really, just felt like telling it. HORSES FOR COURSES.:D
Yup they all have their applications and types, I just prefer some to most personally. Weren't P3s some of the last (in general) aircraft anyway to change to the "camo" scheme? It was actually a Chilean P3 in Woodbourne that originally got me liking the darker grey on these AC as opposed to the seemingly stock lighter shade for MPA.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yup they all have their applications and types, I just prefer some to most personally. Weren't P3s some of the last (in general) aircraft anyway to change to the "camo" scheme? It was actually a Chilean P3 in Woodbourne that originally got me liking the darker grey on these AC as opposed to the seemingly stock lighter shade for MPA.
That one came through Wellington. I remember seeing photos of it on a certain Wellington based aviation spotter's blog of shots that he had taken of it when it arrived. That was a few years ago.

RegR

That one came through Wellington. I remember seeing photos of it on a certain Wellington based aviation spotter's blog of shots that he had taken of it when it arrived. That was a few years ago.
Yes was a few years ago now, quite a far away and unique visitor to these shores at the time.

CJohn

This is probably the one you're talking about, I would think. The mid grey looks alright for sure.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This is probably the one you're talking about, I would think. The mid grey looks alright for sure.
Thanks, yes indeed that's the one. Jeez was it that long ago?

On a Facebook page I had a dickhead trying to tell me that the P-8A in the video of the first RNZAF P-8A coming out of the Boeing paint shop, was a Hercules. When I said no it wasn't and that it was a P-8A he said that I didn't know what I was talking about and that he had a cousin in the RNZAF. Sort of mentioned to him that I had spent 8 years in the RNZAF, flown in the back end of Hercules, knew very well what one looked like especially as I used to see them a lot when I was posted to Auckland. Some people.

Lolcake

Was around when Helen Clarke made the fateful decision to can the air combat force. I emailed, at the time the shadow defence minister of NZ and asked him whether he intended to re-instate the ACF. His answer was a resounding YES. Fast forward 20 years or so, has there been any indication that a change in NZ government would look to re-establish this?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Was around when Helen Clarke made the fateful decision to can the air combat force. I emailed, at the time the shadow defence minister of NZ and asked him whether he intended to re-instate the ACF. His answer was a resounding YES. Fast forward 20 years or so, has there been any indication that a change in NZ government would look to re-establish this?
I have heard rumours but that is all. It would be interesting to see what ACT & the National Party have to say about it this time next year with the election due. They'll be either in or close to campaign mode then.