Royal New Zealand Air Force

recce.k1

Thomas Global has won a contract to replace and upgrade the RNZAF's Boeing 757 flight displays from obsolete legacy CRT technology with LCD which will also provide "a growth platform for new functionality".

(Thomas Global, formerly Thomas Electronics of Australia in its formative years, has design and support contracts with the ADF to support a wide range of electronics for military applications ... so looks like the RNZAF is in good company).

IIRC (and I may need to fact-check this) faults with the displays have been mentioned previously as reasons for delays to 757 operations in the past, if that is the case then although this may seem a minor project in the scheme of things if it helps ensure better 757 availability then this is a positive development!

Nighthawk.NZ

pgclift

For those that want the fakebook thingy version... ;-)

Some of you might be wondering how the fuselage/s will make their way from Wichita to Seattle for final fitout.

So I’ve attached a YouTube video clip from Virtual Railfan of a train passing through Skycomish Washington state. On board are a couple of fuselages for Spirit Airlines heading to Seattle. Aircraft Transfer

Scroll ahead to 57:12 to see the aircraft.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Some of you might be wondering how the fuselage/s will make their way from Wichita to Seattle for final fitout.

So I’ve attached a YouTube video clip from Virtual Railfan of a train passing through Skycomish Washington state. On board are a couple of fuselages for Spirit Airlines heading to Seattle. Aircraft Transfer

Scroll ahead to 57:12 to see the aircraft.
Hope this doesn’t happen to the fuselages:

Buggar!

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Maybe they were MAX fuselages being dumped during the ban.:D
They were told to give the fuselages and wagons a freshwater washdown.

Looks like original video footage from Johns post above.

Another couple of videos of B737 fuselages on trains.

Last edited:

Gooey

Stone houses mate.
As this is an RNZAF thread, I'm fairly sure that the ghost 2, 14, and 75 Sqn's are proportionally less-than in comparison to the current USAF fast jet units.

T.C.P

What will it take for the New Zealand govt to actually begin thinking of rebuilding the RNZAF's fighter aircraft capability? Would an invasion of Taiwan finally wake them up or will even that not be enough.

I know that New Zealand's position is quite unique, an Island far removed from the nearest hostile country, and being neighbours to a superclose ally with a powerful military. But is there any scenario discussed by the heads of the New Zeland govt apparatus, where it might be prudent for the RNZAF to have jet fighter capablities again?

kiwipatriot69

What will it take for the New Zealand govt to actually begin thinking of rebuilding the RNZAF's fighter aircraft capability? Would an invasion of Taiwan finally wake them up or will even that not be enough.

I know that New Zealand's position is quite unique, an Island far removed from the nearest hostile country, and being neighbours to a superclose ally with a powerful military. But is there any scenario discussed by the heads of the New Zeland govt apparatus, where it might be prudent for the RNZAF to have jet fighter capablities again?
Well our govt did say on the news tonight supplying arms isn't off the table to Ukraine. So I think maybe they are slowly coming to the reality the world isn't the safe place they thought it was Taiwan might just be the last straw.