Royal New Zealand Air Force

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm interesting, thanks for posting that. Does hot & humid Sth.pac atmosphere add to the required TO distance? I'm seeing figures 2300m+ for the B777-200 but there's so many variables in the equation.
There are indeed many variables. Temperature is one of them. However, one should also bear in mind that the significant likelihood is that a strategic lift HADR tasking will leave NZ a lot heavier and return from for example Rarotonga, Apia, Niue et al, a lot lighter. Air NZ has operated the B772 into those airports even as commercial flights. A half load B772 can take off like a scolded cat a good friend who used to fly them says.

Gibbo

There are indeed many variables. Temperature is one of them. However, one should also bear in mind that the significant likelihood is that a strategic lift HADR tasking will leave NZ a lot heavier and return from for example Rarotonga, Apia, Niue et al, a lot lighter. Air NZ has operated the B772 into those airports even as commercial flights. A half load B772 can take off like a scolded cat a good friend who used to fly them says.
Right, I'll take 4 thanks AirNZ... 3 fly-away & the other for spares! I'm just going to talk to my bank manager about finance, then pop down to the Resene shop & buy all their stock of dark-grey paint! :p

On a slightly different note (mods please move if appropriate), and after reading the last few posts in the RNZN section about numbers/letters on the helipad to ID ships I was back to thinking about the Seasprite replacement down the track.

As discussed previously, for New Zealand, it is likely at this stage of proceedings, going to be a two horse race between the NH90 vs MH60-Romeo (If we are to keep capability the same or improve it). All things considered, I’m not convinced the AW159 Wildcat rates - the majority of countries who have had the option went with the MH60-R over the AW159.

To be honest, my preference has always been for the MH60-R because it is a waaaay more established Maritime ASW platform with the ability to hang some pretty impressive offensive options on the airframe (afterall, ASW was/is the Seasprite’s primary purpose). Being a newer airframe, the maritime version of the NH90 NFH hasn’t really been put through the wringer and had all the bugs ironed out (See my links below).

Despite this however, I do see the many advantages of having one type class across both 3Sqn and 6Sqn (Inter alia - training/maintenance/parts etc). I also see the advantage the NH90 has in being able to carry a decent load inside (bodies or boxes) - a significant factor when you are selling it to govt + treasury that it has this additional HADR assistance capability. We all know HADR is something high up on the govts radar for defence assets (especially to get buy in from the Greens.....) and also where they are looking to go with Canterbury’s replacement plus an additional LHD etc

So I was kind of coming around to the NH90 due to the German and French navies heading down that road but then I came across these two recent articles from Flight Global (Which gave me that sinking feeling as I read them...!) note you need to sign up to Flight Global to read them, but it is free....

In summary the key point in this article is “Belgium has delivered stinging criticism of the NH Industries consortium, blaming a lack of industrial support, low availability rates and looming costly upgrades for its decision to slash operations with its four NH90 troop transport helicopters by 40%.“

I understand that this is the TTH version not the NFH but the builds are comparative.

The second article was;

This article discusses the frustration from the German navy with ongoing delays by NH Industries on delivering the German version of the maritime NH90 (the Sea Tiger).

From what I know, Flight Global doesn’t appear to post up sensationalised stories, they tend to report more factually - so when I hear “......lack of industrial support, low availability rates and looming costly upgrades....” and “.....ongoing delays in delivery....”, I can’t help but think, is the NH90 the right way to go for NZ?

I think Ngati, you have alluded to the fact that the Seahawk is getting long in the tooth now (a bloody good point) and consequently leads to the question of how long will it be supported for? 20+ years is what we may need on the support, maintenance and upgrade side of things.

Despite this....I think I’m back to the Seahawk as the best option in the long run. I realise the initial outlay may be more than the NH90 but if we have the same issues crop up as reported from other countries then maybe the expense is worth it for capability and airframe availability rates?

Last edited:
As I see it, the problem with either the NH90 or MH-60R is that they are probably too big for the OPVs' flight decks, and also maybe too big for their hangar. While the Seasprite is a 'small medium' size helicopter (~13m rotor diameter, 6 tonnes class), the NH90 and MH-60 are both in the 'large medium' size (~16m rotor diameter, 10t class).
I think the AW159 Wildcat is about the only maritime helicopter in current production of the same size class as the Seasprite, although it does seem to be a rather niche product. Hmmm

Gracie1234

The way i see it, the future helicopter will not be constrained by the flight deck size on the OPVs, these will be replaced at a similar time as the replacement maritime helicopter arrives give or take a few years. I would imagine a maritime UAV will be in operation then as it is far cheaper to operate per flight hour.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
As I see it, the problem with either the NH90 or MH-60R is that they are probably too big for the OPVs' flight decks, and also maybe too big for their hangar. While the Seasprite is a 'small medium' size helicopter (~13m rotor diameter, 6 tonnes class), the NH90 and MH-60 are both in the 'large medium' size (~16m rotor diameter, 10t class).
I think the AW159 Wildcat is about the only maritime helicopter in current production of the same size class as the Seasprite, although it does seem to be a rather niche product. Hmmm
The OPVs hangars are the same size as the ANZAC class frigates, so the Romeo will fit. I have read various reports over the years that the Wildcat isn't a patch on the Lynx.
On a slightly different note (mods please move if appropriate), and after reading the last few posts in the RNZN section about numbers/letters on the helipad to ID ships I was back to thinking about the Seasprite replacement down the track.

As discussed previously, for New Zealand, it is likely at this stage of proceedings, going to be a two horse race between the NH90 vs MH60-Romeo (If we are to keep capability the same or improve it). All things considered, I’m not convinced the AW159 Wildcat rates - the majority of countries who have had the option went with the MH60-R over the AW159.

To be honest, my preference has always been for the MH60-R because it is a waaaay more established Maritime ASW platform with the ability to hang some pretty impressive offensive options on the airframe (afterall, ASW was/is the Seasprite’s primary purpose). Being a newer airframe, the maritime version of the NH90 NFH hasn’t really been put through the wringer and had all the bugs ironed out (See my links below).

Despite this however, I do see the many advantages of having one type class across both 3Sqn and 6Sqn (Inter alia - training/maintenance/parts etc). I also see the advantage the NH90 has in being able to carry a decent load inside (bodies or boxes) - a significant factor when you are selling it to govt + treasury that it has this additional HADR assistance capability. We all know HADR is something high up on the govts radar for defence assets (especially to get buy in from the Greens.....) and also where they are looking to go with Canterbury’s replacement plus an additional LHD etc

So I was kind of coming around to the NH90 due to the German and French navies heading down that road but then I came across these two recent articles from Flight Global (Which gave me that sinking feeling as I read them...!) note you need to sign up to Flight Global to read them, but it is free....

In summary the key point in this article is “Belgium has delivered stinging criticism of the NH Industries consortium, blaming a lack of industrial support, low availability rates and looming costly upgrades for its decision to slash operations with its four NH90 troop transport helicopters by 40%.“

I understand that this is the TTH version not the NFH but the builds are comparative.

The second article was;

This article discusses the frustration from the German navy with ongoing delays by NH Industries on delivering the German version of the maritime NH90 (the Sea Tiger).

From what I know, Flight Global doesn’t appear to post up sensationalised stories, they tend to report more factually - so when I hear “......lack of industrial support, low availability rates and looming costly upgrades....” and “.....ongoing delays in delivery....”, I can’t help but think, is the NH90 the right way to go for NZ?

I think Ngati, you have alluded to the fact that the Seahawk is getting long in the tooth now (a bloody good point) and consequently leads to the question of how long will it be supported for? 20+ years is what we may need on the support, maintenance and upgrade side of things.

Despite this....I think I’m back to the Seahawk as the best option in the long run. I realise the initial outlay may be more than the NH90 but if we have the same issues crop up as reported from other countries then maybe the expense is worth it for capability and airframe availability rates?
I to have been following the stories and am having my doubts about the NH90 NFH in NZ service. We would basically end up with an aircraft not used in this part of the world, the same as the Wildcat and the Seasprite. By going to the Romeo we'd have commonality with our major allies and partners, so it does make a lot of sense.
The way i see it, the future helicopter will not be constrained by the flight deck size on the OPVs, these will be replaced at a similar time as the replacement maritime helicopter arrives give or take a few years. I would imagine a maritime UAV will be in operation then as it is far cheaper to operate per flight hour.
The OPVs aren't due for replacement until the mid 2030s and the possibility exists that a maritime UAV may be operational off the OPVs then. But we could also operate marinised and navalised A109M off them if we wanted to go down that road. That would also make sense and Leonardo already have such a variant.

regstrup

I'm not an expert in defence equipment, so I listen to the real experts like the crews, that fly the helicopters. I have just been part of SERE training at the RDAF Helicopter Wing for the crew, that is going to be deployed with a MH-60 Romeo on the Danish frigate, that is going to the Persian Gulf.

They are very happy with the MH-60, because it is very sturdy and have a great censorpack. They make fun of the other RDAF squadron, that fly EH101 Merlin and call it a cardboard helicopter, because the superstructure is very fragile to smallest impact. That is not the case with the Romeo.

I could imaging, that the NH90 being a newer helicopter from the same generation as the EH101, it could have the same problems. So I can understand, why NZ would choose the MH-60, because the would get an off the shelf produkt with a proven record in naval operations. No doubt, that the Danish pilots, that fly of the Navy ships are very happy with the MH-60 and wouldn't trade for a"modern" helicopter like the EH101 or NH90.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
But we could also operate marinised and navalised A109M off them if we wanted to go down that road.
Indeed NG. And that is entirely possible. You know this but as others might be interested that the A109/119 was built to FAR27 standards so not strictly a platform designed to live aboard a ships hangar long term but fine for short stay use in a shipboard environment if a number of additional components that are listed on the schedule of equipment criteria required under the NZCA's No.7/21B/20 TCDS (type certificate data sheet) are installed on the airframe. Our Mako's IIRC already have protection of electrical and electronic systems from High Intensity Radiated Fields (HIRF) which is one of those conditions required under No.7/21B/20 acceptance when operating off/on shipdecks. Other necessary components such as Folding blades, deck securing and floatation devices are all commercially available. NZCA's No.7/21B/20 covers both the A109 and A119 variants.

I am of the view that one relatively cheap way to increase overall RNZAF rotary fleet capacity and versatility is to replace the current A109LUH's in the training role and replace them with the AW119M which should be very adequate for the training of pilots and crewman plus some occasional VIP or MAOT work and shifting the A109's over to a full time LUH role - including a requisite upgrade to "navalise" them to operate short term off RNZN vessels. IIRC 3 Squadron has the deployable gantry crane and ladders to assist in the fast removal of rotors which can be put on and off again going on memory in about 30 minutes. There is also a commercially available RoRo dolly frame which the A109 can sit on for ground handling and stowage, which if the rotors are removed and wheel assembly is adjusted lower, enables the ability to load and deploy the aircraft in the back of a C-130J-30 for a fast response rotary asset to be deployed under a Pacific HADR scenario. With A119's doing the training, the A109 taking over a greater share of the utility role from the NH-90, it will give them the extra tasking hours capacity have all 8 airframes supporting Army tactical transport outputs.

chis73

From my perspective, I suspect the cheapest option will be adopted (and I suspect secondhand will be a distinct possibility). A 6-tonne helicopter will likely cost less (to operate for sure, perhaps also to buy if we buy new). To replace all 10 current Seasprites with new aircraft will be close to $1b by 2028. I'm not convinced the money will be there to do that (it wasn't the last 2 times - that's why we have the current Seasprites and only bought 5 of the SH-2G(NZ) before that. Naval helicopters are horrendously expensive things. Can't see the Navy operating the same number of aircraft as they currently have if the replacements are larger (for example - in the RNZAF, 8 NH90 replaced 14 UH-1)

I have my doubts about the MH-60R being adopted. Will it still be in production in 2028? USN Production is pretty much complete as I understand it, and current production is almost all for FMS customers (latest being India). On top of that, it uses a different deck-securing system than the RNZN uses. Will the RNZN buy a helicopter that requires a new system to be installed on their ships (say the frigates, with probably 5 years of service life or less left at introduction to service)? Sorry, but I can't see that happening at all.

Timing isn't looking great on other options. AW159 hasn't had any new orders for a few years already - so is looking even more doubtful than MH-60R in terms of being still in production. The Naval variant of the H160M isn't due to enter French service until 2028 either (so I doubt RNZN will consider it).

To my mind, RNZN needs two types of naval helicopter. A big dumb cargo/troop lifter for Canterbury and Aotearoa, and a economical smaller type with modest ASW/ASuW capability for the OPVs and the frigates. Will they get that - unlikely!

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I am of the view that one relatively cheap way to increase overall RNZAF rotary fleet capacity and versatility is to replace the current A109LUH's in the training role and replace them with the AW119M which should be very adequate for the training of pilots and crewman plus some occasional VIP or MAOT work and shifting the A109's over to a full time LUH role - including a requisite upgrade to "navalise" them to operate short term off RNZN vessels. IIRC 3 Squadron has the deployable gantry crane and ladders to assist in the fast removal of rotors which can be put on and off again going on memory in about 30 minutes. There is also a commercially available RoRo dolly frame which the A109 can sit on for ground handling and stowage, which if the rotors are removed and wheel assembly is adjusted lower, enables the ability to load and deploy the aircraft in the back of a C-130J-30 for a fast response rotary asset to be deployed under a Pacific HADR scenario. With A119's doing the training, the A109 taking over a greater share of the utility role from the NH-90, it will give them the extra tasking hours capacity have all 8 airframes supporting Army tactical transport outputs.
Looks like a reasonable idea though a couple of areas would need to be sorted , One is would the A109 simulator be able to switch to the A119 and back as required or would we need a new one and you would be introducing a different engine into the mix. These issues may negate any savings that over the purchase of say basic A109's.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
From my perspective, I suspect the cheapest option will be adopted (and I suspect secondhand will be a distinct possibility). A 6-tonne helicopter will likely cost less (to operate for sure, perhaps also to buy if we buy new). To replace all 10 current Seasprites with new aircraft will be close to $1b by 2028. I'm not convinced the money will be there to do that (it wasn't the last 2 times - that's why we have the current Seasprites and only bought 5 of the SH-2G(NZ) before that. Naval helicopters are horrendously expensive things. Can't see the Navy operating the same number of aircraft as they currently have if the replacements are larger (for example - in the RNZAF, 8 NH90 replaced 14 UH-1)

I have my doubts about the MH-60R being adopted. Will it still be in production in 2028? USN Production is pretty much complete as I understand it, and current production is almost all for FMS customers (latest being India). On top of that, it uses a different deck-securing system than the RNZN uses. Will the RNZN buy a helicopter that requires a new system to be installed on their ships (say the frigates, with probably 5 years of service life or less left at introduction to service)? Sorry, but I can't see that happening at all.

Timing isn't looking great on other options. AW159 hasn't had any new orders for a few years already - so is looking even more doubtful than MH-60R in terms of being still in production. The Naval variant of the H160M isn't due to enter French service until 2028 either (so I doubt RNZN will consider it).

To my mind, RNZN needs two types of naval helicopter. A big dumb cargo/troop lifter for Canterbury and Aotearoa, and a economical smaller type with modest ASW/ASuW capability for the OPVs and the frigates. Will they get that - unlikely!
IIRC, the Seasprite replacement has been bought forward to 2026. Modest ASW & ASuW capabilities isn't going to fly (pun intended) with our friends across the ditch and further afield. Given the geostrategic situation in the region, the NZG of whatever stripe is going to have to up its game. The NZG has finally realised that cheapest is not best because of false economies. They learned that lesson with the SH-2G(NZ) fiasco.

The project to replace the Seasprites is undoubtedly underway or shortly will be. I agree that a 2 platform solution is ideal and given that the hangars on the OPVs are the same size as the frigates, then the Romeo cannot be discounted. The current government approved the acquisition of the P-8A Poseidon and the C-130-J30 Hercules with all the bells and whistles, so that sort of disproves your argument on cheapness. The previous government approved the Aotearoa with some new technology as well, plus the T-6C Texans.

We'll have to wait and see, but as sure as your arse points to the ground, Wellington will be under a lot of pressure from Canberra to up its game defence wise and rightly so. The times they are a changing and not for the good.

milliGal

Indeed NG. And that is entirely possible. You know this but as others might be interested that the A109/119 was built to FAR27 standards so not strictly a platform designed to live aboard a ships hangar long term but fine for short stay use in a shipboard environment if a number of additional components that are listed on the schedule of equipment criteria required under the NZCA's No.7/21B/20 TCDS (type certificate data sheet) are installed on the airframe. Our Mako's IIRC already have protection of electrical and electronic systems from High Intensity Radiated Fields (HIRF) which is one of those conditions required under No.7/21B/20 acceptance when operating off/on shipdecks. Other necessary components such as Folding blades, deck securing and floatation devices are all commercially available. NZCA's No.7/21B/20 covers both the A109 and A119 variants.

Adding more light helicopters for the light utility role/training, or marinised versions to deploy on the OPV's is certainly an idea I can get behind. Why go for the AW119 instead of simply more AW109's though? I recall one of the key reasons for the AW109 being selected was that it has wheels rather than ski's, and is a twin engine, and can therefore serve as a more appropriate lead in for the NH90 and SH2G. The AW119 does not appear to tick these boxes.

Some compelling arguments are being made for the Seahawk over the NH90 NFH, but I personally believe that latter is still the frontrunner. While either would be a fine choice, I believe the synergies gained from operating a full NH90 fleet will be hard to ignore. NHI have plenty of time to get their shit together before it is time for a decision to be made. I would also argue that there is something to be said for bringing something different to the table in a strategic alliance, so simply copying the US/Australia may not always be the best way to go.

CJohn

There is also a project underway from the Defence Capability Plan 2019 for a small tactical remotely piloted aircraft.

"These aircraft will be deployed and operated organically by small task groups or ships in support of operations in the maritime, littoral and land operations."

Not sure if we are talking about something like Scan eagle here, but Scan eagle has been trailed off one of the OPV's recently I think.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Adding more light helicopters for the light utility role/training, or marinised versions to deploy on the OPV's is certainly an idea I can get behind. Why go for the AW119 instead of simply more AW109's though? I recall one of the key reasons for the AW109 being selected was that it has wheels rather than ski's, and is a twin engine, and can therefore serve as a more appropriate lead in for the NH90 and SH2G. The AW119 does not appear to tick these boxes.

Some compelling arguments are being made for the Seahawk over the NH90 NFH, but I personally believe that latter is still the frontrunner. While either would be a fine choice, I believe the synergies gained from operating a full NH90 fleet will be hard to ignore. NHI have plenty of time to get their shit together before it is time for a decision to be made. I would also argue that there are benefits from bringing something different to the table in a strategic alliance, so simply copying the US/Australia may not always be the best way to go.
I am not certain what the exact numbers are, but IIRC from reading through USN and GAO reports, as well as ANAO reports, the costs per flight hour as well as maintenance per flight hour requirements for NH90 aircraft are significantly higher than for SH-60 Sea Hawk helicopters. The cost per flight hour is something like 4x higher, and the maintenance per flight hour (after significant improvement) is a similar sort of ratio. Now the MH-60R is a slightly different version of the of the Sea Hawk, with a more advanced cockpit and integrated sensors, but the operating and maintenance costs IMO would not be significantly higher.

With the above in mind, I would consider the idea of advantageous synergies to be had operating NFH90 to be dubious. Yes, there could be synergies in operating two different but quite similar helicopters, the NH90 and NFH90, but if the overall training, maintenance and operating costs for the two fleets exceeds what they would be for operating fleets of NH90 and MH-60R, then those synergies are no longer an advantage.

Another area which I would consider a significant concern is whether or not the RNZN would be able to practically embark and operate the NFH90 if and when needed.

IIRC the ANZAC-class FFH replacement is not due to be in service until the early/mid-2030's. For some reason 2035 comes to mind but I could be off by a couple of years. If that is accurate, plus the Seasprite replacement being brought forward to 2026, that would spell enormous trouble for an NFH90 fleet. Based off testing done by Australia, the NH90 can, just barely, fit into the hangar of an ANZAC-class frigate. From a practical standpoint, it would be too tight a fit to permit sustained operations, having been described by an Oz DefPro as, "too tight to fit a bee's d*ck," which in turn would leave only the Canterbury (lacking a hangar magazine IIRC) and Aotearoa able to effectively embark and operate the naval helicopters until the RNZN orders new vessels built with increased hangar space.

From my POV this leaves only a few viable options. Either the Seasprite's get retained until the Future Surface Combatant gets commissioned, an alternate naval helicopter which will fit aboard both current and future RNZN warships is selected, an interim naval helicopter is selected, or there is a loss of naval helicopter deployment for a stretch of several years. The last two options IMO are really not viable, as they would trigger a decline in the effective of RNZN warships, especially in ASW operations which IMO they are not really kitted out properly as it is. Given the very long SLOC between NZ and many global markets, relying on a pair of frigates with hull-mounted sonar and LWT's for ASW ops, especially when in areas where RNZAF P-8A Poseidon's cannot sustain deployments of, is really not a plan for success.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
The boxes being ticked then for down-selection were for a one size fits all training and light utility aircraft. Now we need to tick different boxes. In fact I do like the A109. Probably the single defence selection between 2000-2010 the government actually got right - at that time.

Using the AW119M/TH-73A for training is more cost effective in terms of acquisition - half the cost of the twin A109LUH. The USN has just selected the TH-73A as its next training helicopter, which is a pretty solid endorsement. Those USN pilots and crew will be introduced to their trade as military pilots on this platform. There is no need for retractable wheels at this stage in a pilots flying career as pilots can very quickly adjust to wheeled landing as part of their type conversion training on to the operational squadrons A109, NH90 and reasonably likely in my view the MH-60R in a few years.

Some compelling arguments are being made for the Seahawk over the NH90 NFH, but I personally believe that latter is still the frontrunner. While either would be a fine choice, I believe the synergies gained from operating a full NH90 fleet will be hard to ignore. NHI have plenty of time to get their shit together before it is time for a decision to be made. I would also argue that there is something to be said for bringing something different to the table in a strategic alliance, so simply copying the US/Australia may not always be the best way to go.
NHI have been trying to make this aircraft work for a number of years. The RNZAF is now into its 7th year of operations, 14 years after they ordered it and it still is nowhere near the availability rates of the venerable and much loved Huey. A more complex NHF90 I fear maybe even more of issue serviceability wise and a regional orphan.

A horse trainer knows pretty quickly after a yearling sale whether or not he has a Melbourne Cup winning potential thoroughbred on his hands or something that might have a highlight of its career being a 3rd placing in the 2nd race at Whanganui during a weekday. I think that the RNZAF knows that the MH-60R is a Melbourne Cup winner amongst maritime combat helicopters as they have seen the success the other nations are having with it.

The boxes being ticked then for down-selection were for a one size fits all training and light utility aircraft. Now we need to tick different boxes. In fact I do like the A109. Probably the single defence selection between 2000-2010 the government actually got right - at that time.

Using the AW119M/TH-73A for training is more cost effective in terms of acquisition - half the cost of the twin A109LUH. The USN has just selected the TH-73A as its next training helicopter, which is a pretty solid endorsement. Those USN pilots and crew will be introduced to their trade as military pilots on this platform. There is no need for retractable wheels at this stage in a pilots flying career as pilots can very quickly adjust to wheeled landing as part of their type conversion training on to the operational squadrons A109, NH90 and reasonably likely in my view the MH-60R in a few years.

NHI have been trying to make this aircraft work for a number of years. The RNZAF is now into its 7th year of operations, 14 years after they ordered it and it still is nowhere near the availability rates of the venerable and much loved Huey. A more complex NHF90 I fear maybe even more of issue serviceability wise and a regional orphan.

A horse trainer knows pretty quickly after a yearling sale whether or not he has a Melbourne Cup winning potential thoroughbred on his hands or something that might have a highlight of its career being a 3rd placing in the 2nd race at Whanganui during a weekday. I think that the RNZAF knows that the MH-60R is a Melbourne Cup winner amongst maritime combat helicopters as they have seen the success the other nations are having with it.
My understanding from a colleague (whose day job was reporting on Air Force and Navy outputs within MOD) was the operating cost for NH90 TTH was $24K an hour and availability of 60%. That was from about 3 years ago. From what I have been able to find the MH-60R Flight hour cost is about $5K USD (but that is from the Lockheed Site - Sikorsky MH-60R SEAHAWK® Helicopters).

In perspective the C-130's are about $40K NZD an hour. And I have seen a US Army figure for the Chinook at $12,000 USD an hour (https://www.army.mil/article/94455/New_CH_47F_simulator_1st_of_its_kind/).
Food for thought.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
My understanding from a colleague (whose day job was reporting on Air Force and Navy outputs within MOD) was the operating cost for NH90 TTH was $24K an hour and availability of 60%. That was from about 3 years ago. From what I have been able to find the MH-60R Flight hour cost is about $5K USD (but that is from the Lockheed Site - Sikorsky MH-60R SEAHAWK® Helicopters).

In perspective the C-130's are about $40K NZD an hour. And I have seen a US Army figure for the Chinook at $12,000 USD an hour (New CH-47F simulator 1st of its kind).
Food for thought.
Those numbers are similar to what I can recall finding when I went combing through Australian ANAO and US DOD and GAO reports. Probably the largest difference that I can recall was that the MRH90 availability was hovering at around 50%. This was after Australia had done significant work to cut down the maintenance required by the MRH90 from a high of just over 100 maintenance hours per flight hour to around 20 maintenance hours per flight hour. This was from an ANAO report issued around 2014, so the information is potentially a bit out of date but still rather lopsided.

JohnJT

A left field option may be the KAI Surion. I know they are working through a few development issues at the moment, but assuming these issues are solved by the time NZ is ready to buy, on paper at least, it seems to fit the bill nicely.
It's a joint development between KAI and Eurocopter and it's size is between an SH-2G and NH90.
The aircraft is fitted with helmet-mounted displays from Elbit which allows operation day or night in all weathers.
In army service the Surion enjoys availability rates above 80%.

KAI Surion Light Utility Helicopter, South Korea

There is also a marine version as well as an ASW version. Even a marine attack version:
ADEX 2019: KAI showcases Surion Marine Attack Helicopter

The price of the KUH-1 in 2013 was approximately US$18M, which is very cheap compared with the NH90 TTH in the same time frame. The low price could allow for extra airframes. This would be good when the RNZN gets it's new amphib ships. Indeed, the ASW, Marine and Marine attack versions could all be bought.

I think NZ should look at Korea more as a source of military equipment. It's good stuff at a cheap price. The defense procurement relationship is already there, why not take advantage of it?

There are other opportunities also. The FA-50 would be a great start to get back into combat jets.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Whilst the Surion looks good on paper, it's not FOC yet and is quite risky. The NZG is quite risk adverse especially with regard to aviation. We would also be the only FVEY operating it, which we aren't that keen on. Going with the Romeo means that we will be in good company, with 2 of our FVEY partners already operating it, and they are also active within the Asia Pacific region.

I agree with the FA-50 suggestion. It's been something that I have given thought to for quite a while and would be at the top of my list. Given that it's not operated by another FVEY partner, it is operated by other air forces within the region and the engine is US.

The South Koreans do make good gear and that's why I like them for shipbuilding, but so do the Japanese and the Singaporeans.

Rotorhead

The other ASW Helicopter which hasn’t been brought up is the Panther, cheaper option at least.