Royal New Zealand Air Force

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I've got no doubt you're right about political (clown?) sideshows being factored in but the damage done by some of those clowns has had ramifications for many years thereafter... eg. in NZ's case the loss of ACF & reduction in frigate force. I don't think I'd consider Canada as much a defence basket case as NZ is now.
Nice post. Well thought out and structured.

This is a BZ (well done) for a good quality post and does not imply that I agree or disagree with the contents.

Gibbo

Nice post. Well thought out and structured.

This is a BZ (well done) for a good quality post and does not imply that I agree or disagree with the contents.

Thx NgatiM, I would just like to say none of my rant was designed to detract from the top-notch effort our defence personnel put in... our people are where our quality component really kicks in, I'm just digging at those that fail to grasp the complexity of our defence relationships and therefore choose to under-resource our forces and require them to constantly pull rabbits out of their hats.

In fact BZ to our defence guys & girls... merry xmas to all them & all on this board!:):):)

KiwiRob

Who do you think the grown ups in 5 eyes are? The US and UK certainly aren’t anywhere near grown up at the moment, the Trump administration will take a least a decade to fix and Brexit will be the end of the UK if it happens (I hope it doesn’t).

Novascotiaboy

Definitely not our Junior. Pot smoking drama teacher doesnt know squat about security or military affairs and is hopefully a one term wonder.

Watch how The Admiral Norman affair plays out.

foxdemon

Who do you think the grown ups in 5 eyes are? The US and UK certainly aren’t anywhere near grown up at the moment, the Trump administration will take a least a decade to fix and Brexit will be the end of the UK if it happens (I hope it doesn’t).

It is quite sobering when you put it like that.

Trump, May, Trudeau, and Ardern don’t inspire confidence. I guess that means the Australian PM is the grown up. So that would be Abbott. No wait, he got turfed out. So it would be Turnbull. No wait, he got turfed out too. Umm, do it is Morrison, I think. At least it was yesterday.

Sorry, it is hard to keep up with all these leadership changes. Hang about! I’ll just nip down to the newsagent and grab a paper to find out who the PM is today.

Reactions: t68

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
It is quite sobering when you put it like that.

Trump, May, Trudeau, and Ardern don’t inspire confidence. I guess that means the Australian PM is the grown up. So that would be Abbott. No wait, he got turfed out. So it would be Turnbull. No wait, he got turfed out too. Umm, do it is Morrison, I think. At least it was yesterday.

Sorry, it is hard to keep up with all these leadership changes. Hang about! I’ll just nip down to the newsagent and grab a paper to find out who the PM is today.
Well at least the UK and Australian parties in power can turf their leaders without having a leadership convention. Not sure about NZ and we know an impeachment conviction by the US Senate is extremely difficult.

Novascotiaboy

As we all wait diligently for an announcement regarding replacements for the venerable Hercules there are other programs related to the RNZAF that should be progressing as well. With the RNZN expecting delivery in 2019 of the Manawanui II is there any rumblings on a possible RPAS acquisition?

With OZ acquiring the heavy fuel version of the Schiebel S100 RPAS does this bode well for the NZDF?

With limited numbers of A/LUHs would a number of RPAS such as the Schiebel make sense as a battlefield ISR asset to support the Army along with frames deployed from naval vessels?

IMHO NZDF is too small to take on extensive testing themselves and should take advantage of the work done by other allied nations and use limited financial resources to invest in actual hardware. Using this doctrine a fleet of Scan Eagles and S100s could be available as a joint asset for all three branches.

As containerized assets these could easily be deployed on the OPVs and lifted to the flight deck using the existing crane thus extending the eyes of the ship well beyond the range of the ships systems.

Any info would be most welcome.

Novascotiaboy

Happy New Year to all who lurk on this wonderful forum. 2019 is a reality and good things are hopefully in the offing for the NZDF this year.

I have been rereading this and other NZ centric defence forums and articles and for more than ten years the debate has raged about when and what would replace the venerable Hercules H model. A400 or C130J, the discussion revolves around old verses new, not big enough, too big, too new, along with numerous technical discussions well beyond my ability to comment. But as we await the Capability Plan to give us some idea of where the Government is headed the need for replacement edges so much closer.

To those who fly, maintain and serve on these geriatric aircraft I wish you all a Happy New Year and hope that this long running process comes to a decision soon.

So much for believing in Santa.

Regards All

Reactions: t68

kiwipatriot69

Happy New Year to all who lurk on this wonderful forum. 2019 is a reality and good things are hopefully in the offing for the NZDF this year.

I have been rereading this and other NZ centric defence forums and articles and for more than ten years the debate has raged about when and what would replace the venerable Hercules H model. A400 or C130J, the discussion revolves around old verses new, not big enough, too big, too new, along with numerous technical discussions well beyond my ability to comment. But as we await the Capability Plan to give us some idea of where the Government is headed the need for replacement edges so much closer.

To those who fly, maintain and serve on these geriatric aircraft I wish you all a Happy New Year and hope that this long running process comes to a decision soon.

So much for believing in Santa.

Regards All
There's a linked article here related to the Brazil Embraer/Boeing partnership not going ahead. If someone can do th honors. Which effectively would put RNZAF off a purchase of KC 390 I'd imagine.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There's a linked article here related to the Brazil Embraer/Boeing partnership not going ahead. If someone can do th honors. Which effectively would put RNZAF off a purchase of KC 390 I'd imagine.
There was a Brazilian court injunction blocking the deal, but that was overturned four days later and Boeing now has 80% of Embraer's commercial arm and 49% of the KC-390 joint venture. This is all subject to approval the new govt of President Jair Bolsonaro who took over 1st Jan 2019. He's a right wing nationalist, which is an aberration in Brazilian politics for the last 30 years or so, where the govts have been left wing, and he is an admirer of Trump so govt approval shouldn't be a problem.

hauritz

There was a Brazilian court injunction blocking the deal, but that was overturned four days later and Boeing now has 80% of Embraer's commercial arm and 49% of the KC-390 joint venture. This is all subject to approval the new govt of President Jair Bolsonaro who took over 1st Jan 2019. He's a right wing nationalist, which is an aberration in Brazilian politics for the last 30 years or so, where the govts have been left wing, and he is an admirer of Trump so govt approval shouldn't be a problem.
With the USAF and other major airforces looking at replacing the Hercules I would have thought having Boeing partner up on the KC-390 would benefit Brazil and Embraer far more than if they decided to go alone.

Novascotiaboy

Boeing’s participation in this program should give the KC390 a strong standing in international sales. The aircraft, according to its specs, should be able to penetrate the LM C130 market. It’s high transit speed would be of interest to air forces wanting to get there faster. It’s higher load capacity is also a plus. But alas as has been discussed here they are likely to be too new to be considered. A KC390 and C2 fleet would be impressive though with an E190 thrown in for personnel and VIP movement. I will be surprised if this ever happened.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Should the NZ government actually consider the KC-390 or C2, it would be a choice between two interesting jets. The KC-390 has the advantage of Boeing support but the C2 has the advantage of enhancing Japanese trade and defence relations. I think NZ could very well have been the first non-developmental customer for the KC-390 if Boeing had a couple of C-17s to package into the deal. Hard to see LM being left out on an order from NZ though.

Novascotiaboy

Kawasaki has an association with both Boeing and Embraer. Maybe these synergies bodes well for both aircraft if Boeing were to take a more active role with the C2.

With the activation of TPP could there be economic benefits to the Japanese purchase for New Zealand? I am no economist but could lamb and avacodos be used as part of a trade deal for three C2? Lol.

On the surface I see few if any disadvantages of a fleet of C2 and KC390. A three way deal between the three manufacturers to provide and support the aircraft. Too bad both the C2 and the P8 require probe for A2A.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Should the NZ government actually consider the KC-390 or C2, it would be a choice between two interesting jets. The KC-390 has the advantage of Boeing support but the C2 has the advantage of enhancing Japanese trade and defence relations. I think NZ could very well have been the first non-developmental customer for the KC-390 if Boeing had a couple of C-17s to package into the deal. Hard to see LM being left out on an order from NZ though.
The KC-390 for the tactical role and the C-2 in the strategic role.
Kawasaki has an association with both Boeing and Embraer. Maybe these synergies bodes well for both aircraft if Boeing were to take a more active role with the C2.

With the activation of TPP could there be economic benefits to the Japanese purchase for New Zealand? I am no economist but could lamb and avacodos be used as part of a trade deal for three C2? Lol.

On the surface I see few if any disadvantages of a fleet of C2 and KC390. A three way deal between the three manufacturers to provide and support the aircraft. Too bad both the C2 and the P8 require probe for A2A.
At a political and diplomatic level a C2 acquisition could be seen to enhance defence relations with Japan and the aircraft would appear to meet all but one of NZ requirements. However apart from Japanese service it is not in service with any major NZ ally or coalition partner, it is about NZ$20 million more expensive than the A400M, and it is far riskier from a NZG perspective due to it's very low production run, hence the danger of NZ operating an orphan platform, regardless of whether Boeing is involved or not.

The KC-390 presents similar risks to the C-2 and there are no real political or diplomatic incentives for NZ to push for with Brazil at the moment. If the KC-390 was built in the US and picked up by the USAF, then it will lessen the risk in NZG eyes. Having said that, Boeing does have a stake in the KC-390 so that lessens the risk a bit. However it isn't operated by a NZ ally or coalition partner and that is an important condition in the NZG assessment criteria.