Royal New Zealand Air Force

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I don't know why you keep flogging this horse. The -130 has a well established pedigree in a very wide variety of roles - much more so than the 737 derivatives. As well as variants with very advanced ESM, AEW and surface search radars, there are multiple variants with a combat proven track record delivery precisions munitions against surface targets. The only aspect that isn't combat proven is the ASW fit - just like the P-8.
Really? There are existing examples of C-130J's with integrated and comprehensive sensor, data, and combat suites?

The USCG has had C-130 examples for SAR and detection/tracking of icebergs. There have also been examples fitted with the radar used aboard the E-2C Hawkeye AWACS, which has been used for storm research and tracking.

However, making an aircraft a combat-capable MPA involves a bit more than that, especially if one wants an aircraft that is operationally useful for joint service as well as to/with allies.

In addition to the actual sensors (and none of the C-130's I am aware of have the full range of desired sensors for a military MPA) there is the actual weapons fitout. This fitout has to also be able to link to the aircraft's avionics, otherwise it is useless. The aircraft also needs the appropriate comms and avionics to send and receive datalinks, target contacts, etc.

There is from my POV little concern about the mechanical/flying qualities of a C-130 in an MPA role. Arranging the avionics OTOH, is another story. Look at the development path for the P-8A Poseidon, to get an idea how costly and involved it can be. Until LockMart starts to do actual design and prototyping for a C-130J MPA, and can start to get an idea on where the sensors, hardpoints, antennas, wiring harness, etc. have to be, as well as were they cannot be, then it really is just a paper design.

If LockMart went just from what was on paper (well, computer really...) to production, they could easily find out that the placement for a radar or comms antennae produces or receives feedback from the flight control system, or the sonobuoy processor, etc. All because of something potentially as simple as the location which looked perfect on paper for a piece of electrical equipment, resulted in some avionics receiving interference.

Zero Alpha

Really? There are existing examples of C-130J's with integrated and comprehensive sensor, data, and combat suites?
Yes - Spectre and Harvest Hawk.

Whether or not the MPA has ASW and a heavy ASuW capability is a policy decision. If it's decided they aren't necessary then there is no reason why a -130 based solution couldn't work.

I'd be more interested if people would actually spell out what the capabilities the future MPA should possess, rather than making categorical statements about why X is suitable or Y isn't.

kiwi in exile

I'd be more interested if people would actually spell out what the capabilities the future MPA should possess, rather than making categorical statements about why X is suitable or Y isn't.
Yea I agree. We need to think of the capabilities we may want/need in the future, and the contexts we may have to deploy in.
Just thinking in terms of replacing X with Y, I feel like this ignores the big picture, and can lead to missed opportunities for growth/evolution.

I think whatever future MPA platform(s) we adopt need to be wired for top tier ASW/ASuW and ideally some form of overland CAS.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I think you both need to learn to look at the macro, meso and micro scales, singly and globally, of the issues that are involved in airborne maritime patrol and surveillance. you also need to be able to differentiate between Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPA) Maritime Surveillance Aircraft (MSA) and Multi Mission Aircraft (MMA). Each type has a different definition and mission capability set. For example a MPA was our P3K Orions before their K2 upgrade; a MSA would be the USCG C130 and an MMA would be the P8 or our P3K2.
No definitely not. Completely different mission sets and capability sets.
Whether or not the MPA has ASW and a heavy ASuW capability is a policy decision. If it's decided they aren't necessary then there is no reason why a -130 based solution couldn't work.
No, wrong. An MPA by definition carries ASW capabilities and in latter years ASuW capabilities.
Read up on the Boeing P8, or the Kawasaki P1 or even better read back through here and see what people have had to say about what we believe NZ needs. Also take a good look at a map of the world and then look at NZs trade and where and who we trade with and then our SLOC and how much we are dependent upon foreign trade.
Yea I agree. We need to think of the capabilities we may want/need in the future, and the contexts we may have to deploy in.
Just thinking in terms of replacing X with Y, I feel like this ignores the big picture, and can lead to missed opportunities for growth/evolution.
No it doesn't. It is not about replacing x with y. It is all about capabilities and what are the capabilities that NZDF NEEDS in order to do its mandated taskings. The problem with many kiwis, pollies especially, and some on here, is they see defence as a luxury and not a necessity.
I think whatever future MPA platform(s) we adopt need to be wired for top tier ASW/ASuW and ideally some form of overland CAS.
Jeez get real. Why would you put a NZ$150+million dollar aircraft and 10+ crew on a CAS where they have a high likelihood of being shot up and / or shot down.

This is a good read on future maritime patrol aircraft. It is very informative and discusses the different aircraft available. It is UK centric but equally the basic theory and practicalities apply to NZ and Australia. There are, IIRC, eight parts to it.

Zero Alpha, Todjaeger knows what he is talking about and has forgotten more about defence than you will ever know, especially with regard to US systems. For your info he is a defence professional and has the utmost respect from all of the other DEFPROS on here.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer

Sorry my post was not more clear. Given that the discussion at the time was about the SC-130J, I had thought the implication that I meant a C-130J kitted with the appropriate avionics, sensor suites and combat systems for an MPA and/or MMA role was clearly understood. Apparently it was not.

Since there has been reference to armed versions of the C-130, namely the KC-130J kitted out with the USMC's Harvest HAWK, or the various versions of the AC-130 (H, J, U, W, etc.) their roles are ISR and CAS/air interdiction of ground/overland targets. These aircraft operate over a different environment from an MPA, look for different things, and engage differently from how an MPA can/should engage. Using the Harvest HAWK kit as an example, the sensor it uses is the AN/AAQ-30 Targeting Sight System, which is also used by USMC AH-1Z Viper attack helicopters. Good system, especially for what it does, but not exactly something useful for a volume sea surface search. For the AC-130U gunship, it uses the AN/APQ-180, which is a version of the radar used aboard the F-15E Strike Eagles. Again, good for what it does, but not something I would want to rely upon to conduct a sea search. Given that the AN/APS-116 sea search radar (original sea search radar on the old S-3A from 1972...) had a max range od ~150n miles or ~280 km, which was later replaced with the AN/APS-137, which is in the same family of radar currently used aboard most P-3 Orions... That should imply the type/class of radar a fixed-wing maritime surveillance and attack aircraft should be kitted out with.

With that in mind, that a significant, capable and robust type or downward looking radar is required just for sea searches (whether just for surveillance, ASuW, SAR, etc.) the radar and all the necessary equipment needs to be properly located onboard. By properly located, I mean somewhere that the radar can be utilized, and without interfering aspects of the aircraft's operation any more than is unavoidable. Keep in mind that the radar needs to have an antennae positioned to have a useful field of view, needs onboard power and cooling, has to be linked to a workstation (or more), which have to also be linked to weapons controls and comms/datalinks. Keep in mind, this is all still just discussing the sea search radar.

No discussion has yet been made about E/O systems, or the sensors and weapons needed for ASW, or the sort of ESM which would be relevant to an aircraft tasked with maritime surveillance and attack.

I have little doubt that LockMart could make a very good MPA using a C-130 airframe as the base. What I do question, given the costs and complexities involved, is the time and funding it would take to get everything properly integrated, and just how willing LockMart would be to pursue anything more significant than speculative 'paper' designs without having a paying customer lined up.

40 deg south

Jeez get real. Why would you put a NZ$150+million dollar aircraft and 10+ crew on a CAS where they have a high likelihood of being shot up and / or shot down.
Someone better tell the French. Their aging Atlantiques are more commonly found these days searching the Sahara for Hiluxes than searching the Med for submarines. And they have been adapted to drop GBU12s and Paveways.

Thales, Dassault Poised For Atlantique 2 Upgrade | Defense content from Aviation Week

France Launches Atlantique 2 Upgrade | Defense News: Aviation International News

I'm not sure exactly where the boundaries of CAS lie, but this is getting rather close to them. The need for overland surveillance and signals monitoring has grown vastly in recent years. I think it is highly likely that future MPAs (including later P-8s) will have overland capabilities. And in some cases, this will extend to a weapons-carrying capability. Certainly the potential for P-8s or a similar 737-based platform to replace Britain's Sentinel ISR aircraft is part of the discussion in the UK about their MPA options.

40 deg south

US Officials To Brief French on Possible C-130 Buy

Speaking of the French, the surprise announcement that they are looking at a C130J buy has brought some sobering figures into the public domain. The US is quoting $650 mil for four C-130Js, two of which would be delivered as refueling tankers. Included are four spare engines, self-defence suites, plus unspecified training and future upgrades. Among other numbers quoted in the piece above, $405 million is given as a base cost for aircraft, spare engines and defensive capability.

France already operates the C-130H, so the unit price is probably similar to that NZ would face.

The main driver for FRance appears to be the need for aerial helicopter refueling, which Airbus now admits isn't feasible from the A400. Additionally, it seems for their counter-insurgency campaign in North Africa, something smaller than an A400 but bigger than a C-235 would be handy to have.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Someone better tell the French. Their aging Atlantiques are more commonly found these days searching the Sahara for Hiluxes than searching the Med for submarines. And they have been adapted to drop GBU12s and Paveways.

Thales, Dassault Poised For Atlantique 2 Upgrade | Defense content from Aviation Week

France Launches Atlantique 2 Upgrade | Defense News: Aviation International News

I'm not sure exactly where the boundaries of CAS lie, but this is getting rather close to them. The need for overland surveillance and signals monitoring has grown vastly in recent years. I think it is highly likely that future MPAs (including later P-8s) will have overland capabilities. And in some cases, this will extend to a weapons-carrying capability. Certainly the potential for P-8s or a similar 737-based platform to replace Britain's Sentinel ISR aircraft is part of the discussion in the UK about their MPA options.
We are starting to stray somewhat OT, but the sensor fitout common to MPA's does lend themselves to overland ISR assets. The RAAF's upgraded AP-3C Orions IIRC were often requested since their capabilities over Afghanistan as ISR platforms were so good. BTW this potential is also why the P-8 Poseidon is categorized as an MMA instead of an MPA. Also I believe there is a new version or perhaps a variant of the P-8 in development as an AGS, using an AESA array in a ventral mount on the aircraft, looking downward. From the description it sounded similar to the dorsal-mounted 'canoe-faring' AESA of the E-737 Wedgetail in RAAF service, just mounted below instead of above the aircraft.

Now depending on the threat matrix, having a big and slow aircraft like once of the P-3's, or a P-8 or an Atlantique (or an AC-130 for that matter...) might be unacceptably risky over a battlefield. Areas where there is the threat of hostile aircraft, and/or long-ranged or high altitude SAM's immediately spring to mind. Over areas where the opposition tend to be irregular forces, that might have MANPADS for air defence at best, then there is not a significant risk to the aircraft and crew.

Another factor to also keep in mind is just how many platforms are available for the deployment. With NZ currently only having a half-dozen P-3K2's for maritime patrolling, even with little direct threat to the aircraft, the potential risks to operating in contested spaces have to be weighed since a mechanical failure could easily cause the loss of an aircraft. Not to mention the NZDF still needs to provide for the 'ordinary' patrolling to ensure NZ's sovereignty and EEZ protection, plus other deployments as ordered by the Gov't. With four in inventory, two are likely to be down at any given moment for maintenance and repairs. That leaves just four for training and operations.

As for the costs given for a French purchase of C-130J's, I will need to look through the article, as well as what else I can find. On the surface, a price of~USD$90 mil. per aircraft, not including the ~USD$50 mil. estimated for the defensive aids, seems a little high. Just a few years ago, the cost for a C-130J was ~USD$65 mil. which means the per aircraft cost has jumped by a third in less than 5 years IIRC. The suggested per aircraft price for defensive aides also seems high, working out to ~USD$12.5 mil. per aircraft. That along is almost half the price of an Airbus CN-235.

Not sure if the prices are because of other things as yet unrevealed, the costs have actually increased spectacularly, or because it was realized that the A400M cannot conduct AAR for helicopters like the KC-130J can. Or some combination of the three.

Zero Alpha

Sorry my post was not more clear. Given that the discussion at the time was about the SC-130J, I had thought the implication that I meant a C-130J kitted with the appropriate avionics, sensor suites and combat systems for an MPA and/or MMA role was clearly understood. Apparently it was not.
My point about spelling out the required capabilities for a MPA/MMA could probably have been a little clearer too.

If we look at our current (P3K2) MPA, we've got a platform that has a modern E/O system (MX50), a decent radar (but only providing coverage over the frontal arc), appropriate HF/VHF/UHF radios, near obsolete satcom fit, a limited data link capability, a ESM fit that's broadly appropriate, no defensive aides, a gravity-only weapon delivery system, and an obsolete ASW capability (but with a upgrade pending).

All of that apparently meets our policy needs for an MPA, even though there are significant constraints on the environments it can operate and what targets it can engage.

If we were to shift to the USCG baseline configuration and add Harvest Hawk to it, and the use the defensive aides suite from the baseline J model Herc, we would be less contained across more of the potential roles and missions than we are now - we'd trade gravity weapons for a small set of limited stand-off weapons. The real sacrifice would be ASW potential and I say potential because as currently configured the P3K2 has only a very limited capability against these targets, both because of its sensor fit, and because the Mk-46 is likely obsolete against modern targets.In some roles (especially overland ISR), it would be significantly more capable. The P3K2 is functionally useless as a weapon delivery platform against any surface target where there is any remote possibly that target can shoot back.

My whinge with the arguments from some on this board about MPA is that the argument typically runs along the lines of

- We have an MPA now
- We need a MPA because we're an island nation
- Country X uses Y as their MPA
- Therefore the solution to our needs is Y.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
My point about spelling out the required capabilities for a MPA/MMA could probably have been a little clearer too.

If we look at our current (P3K2) MPA, we've got a platform that has a modern E/O system (MX50), a decent radar (but only providing coverage over the frontal arc), appropriate HF/VHF/UHF radios, near obsolete satcom fit, a limited data link capability, a ESM fit that's broadly appropriate, no defensive aides, a gravity-only weapon delivery system, and an obsolete ASW capability (but with a upgrade pending).

All of that apparently meets our policy needs for an MPA, even though there are significant constraints on the environments it can operate and what targets it can engage.

If we were to shift to the USCG baseline configuration and add Harvest Hawk to it, and the use the defensive aides suite from the baseline J model Herc, we would be less contained across more of the potential roles and missions than we are now - we'd trade gravity weapons for a small set of limited stand-off weapons. The real sacrifice would be ASW potential and I say potential because as currently configured the P3K2 has only a very limited capability against these targets, both because of its sensor fit, and because the Mk-46 is likely obsolete against modern targets.In some roles (especially overland ISR), it would be significantly more capable. The P3K2 is functionally useless as a weapon delivery platform against any surface target where there is any remote possibly that target can shoot back.

My whinge with the arguments from some on this board about MPA is that the argument typically runs along the lines of

- We have an MPA now
Actually the NZDF has an MSA capability at present, not an MPA capability. Between the lack of both effective self-defence suites and effective weapons, the P-3K2's are really more of a maritime surveillance asset than anything else.

Across the NZDF as a whole, the Mk-46 torpedo is a bit of an issue, having reached the end of the life of type in 2010 IIRC (it might have been earlier.) If memory serves, the NZDF did have an inspection programme to examine the torpedoes in inventory, to see which were still usable, but no sort of long-term plan has been put forward, or at least none I am familiar with, to ensure that the NZDF is kitted out with an ASW capability. At a minimum, remanufacturing the current stock of Mk-46's would be in order, otherwise the RNZAF and/or the RNZN might fit itself firing one upon a hostile sub, only to have the torpedo turn out to be a dud. Or have a compromised motor. Or guidance system. Or... Given that Raytheon has put out a package to remanufacture Mk-46 torpedoes into Mk-54 torpedoes, it would seem sensible to follow that, but that does not mean that policy makers will do so.

There is also the little matter of no updates or upgrades done so that the P-3K2 can retain a submarine detection capability. Apparently this has been recognized since there is supposed to be such an upgrade coming, but for right now, I would not expect a RNZAF Orion to detect or even threaten to detect a sub in a given area.

As for the ASuW capabilities of the P-3K2, I readily admit to not having bothered to keep current on them. At best, they can be armed with AGM-65 Mavericks, though from what I have been able to gather, it looks like this capability has either been deleted, or never added. They have previously been able to drop Mk-82 bombs and fire Zuni rockets at targets. Dropping a dumb bomb onto a moving vessel would largely be a matter of luck, unless done from a very low altitude. The same goes for hitting a target with Zuni rockets.

So basically right now, the RNZAF can realistically task the Orions with detecting, tracking, and potentially reporting back a surface contact, but have to remain at long/standoff ranges. The longest ranged engagement the NZDF could engage a hostile ship with, would require one of the new SH-2G's armed with a Penguin AShM with a range of ~33 km. That would still require the Seasprite to come close enough to the target so that most warships armed with better than CIWS/VSRAAD missiles could fire upon the Seasprite before it was in range.

If in the future, policymakers wish for the NZDF to be able to participate or contribute in operations away from NZ, then the appropriate kit needs to be purchased.

As it stands now, for the maritime areas than NZ has responsibility for patrolling a vast ocean area, and apart from the Kawasaki P-1 and Boeing P-8 Poseidon, none of the maritime surveillance or patrol aircraft currently in development or production (apart from those on paper/computer) have the sort of range and time on distant stations, that NZ needs. This does not even get into the capability needs of the various sensors, the ability to be armed (and thus be an MPA, capable of attacking a contact...), have a self-protection capability, or be able to relay useful contact information to allies.

Some of the other contenders offer some of the capabilities which the NZDF needs in an MPA, based off direction and policy from Gov't, but they all fall short in one or more areas. Usually more.

If the base aircraft is too small, then it may not have the required range and endurance/time on station needed. It also might not be able to carry enough stores and crew to be useful. Or it might not be able to mount large enough or capable enough sensors, or have enough workstations onboard to utilize all sensors at the same time. Or some combination of the above.

If memory serves, the smaller C-295 Persuader MPA has consoles for four operators, while the larger P-8 Poseidon has something like 6+1 or 7+1. Meaning that the workload per system operator is less, and there is an extra console so that an extra person could perform a task during a mission if needed and available. From my POV, not needing to have the operators split their concentration between different tasks during a mission can mean the difference between success and failure on a mission, especially during times of high stress and/or fatigue, like during a crisis. Which is also when the outcome of a mission can make the most difference.

Now I doubt that NZ will purchase a 1:1 Poseidon:Orion replacement. Frankly, given the large area NZ is responsible for, I feel that current P-3K2 fleet itself is too few in number. I would like to see some sort of 2nd Tier MPA capability in NZDF service for more 'local' patrolling around NZ, as well as easily deployed to various Pacific island nations that have agreements with NZ for maritime patrol. I doubt that will happen, except possibly at the expense of a 1st Tier MPA capability. If that were to happen, I would anticipate NZ's normal allies to not invite NZ to the party during a crisis, regardless of whether the outcome would impact NZ's interests. I would not think this was happening to snub NZ, but that it would simply that the capabilities NZ could bring would be insufficient to be useful, and/or more troublesome to have than their absence would be.

kiwi in exile

No it doesn't. It is not about replacing x with y. It is all about capabilities and what are the capabilities that NZDF NEEDS in order to do its mandated taskings.
Yea, this was pretty much what I was trying to say.

Point taken, CAS was a poor choice of terms. 'Strike' maybe. 'The abilit to take out land based targets from a safe stand off distance'. Hows that?

t68

Point taken, CAS was a poor choice of terms. 'Strike' maybe. 'The abilit to take out land based targets from a safe stand off distance'. Hows that?
certainly doable against a near peer group without air assets, but a no go even against someone like Indonesia with all their faults on aircraft maintenance and fleet composition, even in situations like this you would be better off with something like FA-50 or Hawk 200 which would also have a multi training use (Joint Terminal Attack Controller)

while the larger P-8 Poseidon has something like 6+1 or 7+1.
The USN have already exercised that option for an additional workstation, as RAAF will be to the same configuration to the US ours are built they also will have the extra station fitted from production.

US Navy to activate additional P-8 workstation for high-tempo ASW and ASuW missions | IHS Jane's 360

kiwi in exile

Actually the NZDF has an MSA capability at present, not an MPA capability. Between the lack of both effective self-defence suites and effective weapons, the P-3K2's are really more of a maritime surveillance asset than anything else.

Across the NZDF as a whole, the Mk-46 torpedo is a bit of an issue, having reached the end of the life of type in 2010 IIRC (it might have been earlier.) If memory serves, the NZDF did have an inspection programme to examine the torpedoes in inventory, to see which were still usable, but no sort of long-term plan has been put forward, or at least none I am familiar with, to ensure that the NZDF is kitted out with an ASW capability. At a minimum, remanufacturing the current stock of Mk-46's would be in order, otherwise the RNZAF and/or the RNZN might fit itself firing one upon a hostile sub, only to have the torpedo turn out to be a dud. Or have a compromised motor. Or guidance system. Or... Given that Raytheon has put out a package to remanufacture Mk-46 torpedoes into Mk-54 torpedoes, it would seem sensible to follow that, but that does not mean that policy makers will do so.

There is also the little matter of no updates or upgrades done so that the P-3K2 can retain a submarine detection capability. Apparently this has been recognized since there is supposed to be such an upgrade coming, but for right now, I would not expect a RNZAF Orion to detect or even threaten to detect a sub in a given area.

As for the ASuW capabilities of the P-3K2, I readily admit to not having bothered to keep current on them. At best, they can be armed with AGM-65 Mavericks, though from what I have been able to gather, it looks like this capability has either been deleted, or never added. They have previously been able to drop Mk-82 bombs and fire Zuni rockets at targets. Dropping a dumb bomb onto a moving vessel would largely be a matter of luck, unless done from a very low altitude. The same goes for hitting a target with Zuni rockets.

So basically right now, the RNZAF can realistically task the Orions with detecting, tracking, and potentially reporting back a surface contact, but have to remain at long/standoff ranges. The longest ranged engagement the NZDF could engage a hostile ship with, would require one of the new SH-2G's armed with a Penguin AShM with a range of ~33 km. That would still require the Seasprite to come close enough to the target so that most warships armed with better than CIWS/VSRAAD missiles could fire upon the Seasprite before it was in range.
Good post. I've made that point about the Penguin before too. It seems NZs offensive weapons capabilities as outlined above (Penguin, Mk82) are so tactically limited as to be useless, which begs the question, why bother acquiring them (Penguin) or retaining them (82's). I guess with the 82 it keeps the armourers skills up. AFAIK, we have sold the Mavericks to Peru, as they no longer fit with our new Seasprites.

Replacing the Mavericks with the Penguins seemed like a simple replacing X with Y transaction. Basically because that was what the new sprites were wired for. On paper we have acquired a bigger stick with more range and bang, but not really gained any new capability, and if anything, lost a tactical CAS capability.

Wikipedia gives $22000 (?USD) for JDAM tailkits. This is probably no longer accurate, but my guess is that they are still way cheaper than any other PGM.

KiwiRob

Also I believe there is a new version or perhaps a variant of the P-8 in development as an AGS, using an AESA array in a ventral mount on the aircraft, looking downward. From the description it sounded similar to the dorsal-mounted 'canoe-faring' AESA of the E-737 Wedgetail in RAAF service, just mounted below instead of above the aircraft.
I wonder how that would work on a 737, they have a short undercarriage, that's the reason why the engine cowlings on the NG models are ovoid shaped instead of round, there is bugger all ground clearance.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I wonder how that would work on a 737, they have a short undercarriage, that's the reason why the engine cowlings on the NG models are ovoid shaped instead of round, there is bugger all ground clearance.
Dead right on the ground clearance. I saw a photo a few months back of a USN P8 being used as as the prototype platform for a new ground surveillance radar that is of similar capabilities to the JSTARS radar in that it is believed to be even be able to track mobile equipment as small as humans. The actual antenna didn't appear to be that bulky and it was mounted underneath the fuselage forward of the main gear. If its AESA then the antenna again won't be bulky so there will be ample ground clearance, for a B737. I believe that this AGS radar will be standard on the P8 from the next P8A tranche for the USN.

If we get the P8, I doubt if we could operate them out of Pegasus Field at McMurdo like we can with the Orions purely because of the engine ground clearance. Maybe I am wrong about that but I reckon it'd be close.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Good post. I've made that point about the Penguin before too. It seems NZs offensive weapons capabilities as outlined above (Penguin, Mk82) are so tactically limited as to be useless, which begs the question, why bother acquiring them (Penguin) or retaining them (82's). I guess with the 82 it keeps the armourers skills up. AFAIK, we have sold the Mavericks to Peru, as they no longer fit with our new Seasprites.

Replacing the Mavericks with the Penguins seemed like a simple replacing X with Y transaction. Basically because that was what the new sprites were wired for. On paper we have acquired a bigger stick with more range and bang, but not really gained any new capability, and if anything, lost a tactical CAS capability.

Wikipedia gives $22000 (?USD) for JDAM tailkits. This is probably no longer accurate, but my guess is that they are still way cheaper than any other PGM.
Honestly I am not sure if the RNZAF even still has a warstock of Mk-82's. They were more commonly fielded by the A-4K's and those were withdrawn 14 years ago. Even if any Mk-82's are still around, I am not sure if getting any JDAM kits for them would be worthwhile. Aside from the JDAM guidance package, they would also need winglets, otherwise the P-3K2's would still need to get entirely too close to all but the least capable of targets. There is also the matter of whether or not the upgraded systems of the P-3K2 could target a JDAM. One of the items not done during a previous SLEP where the Kiwi Orions were re-winged, was upgrading the wiring harness to the current MIL-STD databus. It is entirely possible that the wiring for the bomb bay has not been upgraded, or even possibly removed and not replaced.

I also question whether or not the current systems and avionics would be able to integrate with a JDAM, to provide target-quality data. The USAF had the B-1B bomber fleet modified to include AN/APQ-164 radar, as well as optional Sniper targeting pods, to aid in providing CAS using SDB's over Afghanistan. The AN/APQ-164 is derived from the APG-66 family of multi-mode radars, a version of which had been fitted to the A-4K Skyhawks to give them a multi-role air and ground attack capability prior to retirement.

Basically I think that if the NZDF still has any Mk-82's in inventory, it might require yet another upgrade to the P-3K2's, before the Mk-82's could be used as JDAM PGM's. If this is the case, unless the security situation is dire, and/or the upgrade was dirt simple as well as cheap and quick/easy to do, then the benefit to NZ would be too little, for too much.

I do wish that the situation for the NZDF was better, since it does appear that they have been forced, consistently, to just barely get by, with capabilities not keeping pace with what is available to potential adversaries. It is the sort of situation which only works as long as nothing goes wrong. In that way, it is kind of like insurance. When everything is good, spending coin on insurance is seen as a waste since it is not being used. Have something bad happen, insurance can help cushion the cost. Have something bad suddenly happen, and not have insurance, one can find oneself up the proverbial creek, sans paddles.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

- We have an MPA now
OK, that argument is made based on historical evidence of previous conflicts where our SLOC have been attacked by enemy ships, aircraft and submarines. Whilst the technology of war changes very quickly, the fundamentals don't. What Sun Tzu taught and wrote over 2000 years ago in China is still very pertinent today and is taught in all military and naval colleges. He is even used in business. Whilst naval warfare has changed from Nelsons day to today, again the fundamentals haven't. At Trafalgar he laid his ships alongside the enemies through expert planning, tactics and handling enabling his gun crews and marine sharpshooters to decimate the enemy ships and crews. Today it is done at greater distance and more efficiently.

I go back to what I keep repeating is that we are an island nation and we could be easily blockaded by sea. That is a very old naval strategy and tactic and today it is far more harmful because we are so dependent upon shipping for our nations economic wellbeing. Without that shipping we are basically stuffed. A naval blockade is the maritime version of a siege and can be just as effective and maybe even more so. We don't have our own international shipping line so we are totally dependent upon foreign shipping companies, hence we cannot force them to run a blockade nor can we conscript their ships or crews. The real advantage about a blockade is that you can force an enemy to do your will without having to invade them. You basically starve them into submission. In the modern world you can use surface ships, submarines and aircraft to enforce a blockade. Add satellite surveillance etc., it would be very easy, especially to a country as isolated as NZ. We cannot count on others to pull our chestnuts out of the fire for us. Why should they expend blood and treasure for us when we refuse to adequately do so ourselves?

We have had enemy submarines, warships and aircraft operate in our waters and airspace during wartime. We have had Soviet and other unidentified submarines operate in our waters in peacetime without our permission. We recently had a foreign civilian ship crewed by a naval crew operating in our waters. We have a maritime area of responsibility that is approximately 1/7th of the Earths surface. This area stretches from the equator to Antarctica and across the Pacific.

A really good text is Geoffrey Tills Sea power - A guide to 21st Century naval warfare. There are also other good papers and texts out there, it's just a matter of doing some research.

Those of us who work, study or research in the field a very aware of the cost of kit. We don't suggest all the gee whiz Gucci stuff. If that was the case we'd be saying that the RNZAF should have F22 Raptors, F15 Strike Eagles and B1B Lancers all with every bit of Gucci gear you could fit on them - ( as if that'd ever happen :lol3 ) We don't. What we do suggest is what we think is required based on our best informed opinion and we have looked into it. We aren't perfect and we all have our biases which will in some way influence our opinions. In my case having served, I do have a strong affinity and bias towards our people in uniform. However after numerous times of repeating myself on the same arguments and topics over the years I do sometimes become somewhat tetchy.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Honestly I am not sure if the RNZAF even still has a warstock of Mk-82's. They were more commonly fielded by the A-4K's and those were withdrawn 14 years ago. Even if any Mk-82's are still around, I am not sure if getting any JDAM kits for them would be worthwhile. Aside from the JDAM guidance package, they would also need winglets, otherwise the P-3K2's would still need to get entirely too close to all but the least capable of targets. There is also the matter of whether or not the upgraded systems of the P-3K2 could target a JDAM. One of the items not done during a previous SLEP where the Kiwi Orions were re-winged, was upgrading the wiring harness to the current MIL-STD databus. It is entirely possible that the wiring for the bomb bay has not been upgraded, or even possibly removed and not replaced.

I also question whether or not the current systems and avionics would be able to integrate with a JDAM, to provide target-quality data. The USAF had the B-1B bomber fleet modified to include AN/APQ-164 radar, as well as optional Sniper targeting pods, to aid in providing CAS using SDB's over Afghanistan. The AN/APQ-164 is derived from the APG-66 family of multi-mode radars, a version of which had been fitted to the A-4K Skyhawks to give them a multi-role air and ground attack capability prior to retirement.

Basically I think that if the NZDF still has any Mk-82's in inventory, it might require yet another upgrade to the P-3K2's, before the Mk-82's could be used as JDAM PGM's. If this is the case, unless the security situation is dire, and/or the upgrade was dirt simple as well as cheap and quick/easy to do, then the benefit to NZ would be too little, for too much.

I do wish that the situation for the NZDF was better, since it does appear that they have been forced, consistently, to just barely get by, with capabilities not keeping pace with what is available to potential adversaries. It is the sort of situation which only works as long as nothing goes wrong. In that way, it is kind of like insurance. When everything is good, spending coin on insurance is seen as a waste since it is not being used. Have something bad happen, insurance can help cushion the cost. Have something bad suddenly happen, and not have insurance, one can find oneself up the proverbial creek, sans paddles.
They still have the Mk82s. The Orions use them to practice dropping depth charges. The Mk81s were given to the EOD teams for practice. With reference to the Mk46 fish the NZDF ones are Mk46 Mod 5A but they met there use by date in 2010 and there was a big panic trying to stretch a few more years out of them. The NZG wouldn't approve replacement with Mk54. They still have the depth charges as well but am unsure of their status.

At the last Orion rewinging the wiring was not upgraded and believe that is now u/s. The Squadron is looking at using the hard points for the carriage and ejection of emergency life rafts during SAR missions. To rewire the wings now would be a major job involving removal of the skin etc. I asked a techy about that. If they could find a secure and practical WiFi method then wouldn't be a problem.

I agree that if anything bad happens we are up the proverbial creek, naked in a razor wire canoe sans paddles.

kiwi in exile

Thanks for your input. You're right it does look pretty grim. RNZAF was dropping dumb iron recently (?2014) at the Kiapara Weapons Range. Locals were complaining about the noise. So unsure if they have any left.

Ngati- what was the foriegn navy crewed vessel in NZ waters?