Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Thanks for providing your advice on the light frigate. These are issues which I did not take into consideration when I made the initial post, I enjoy reading posts from more knowledgeable members on the forum.

As a separate issue, industry is geared towards building the Navantia frigate. Do you consider the F104 frigate can be developed as has the A. Burke design to meet not only the future frigate requirement but to replace the AWDs?
By the time the AWD's are up for replacement technology will have moved on and I would expect they will be built on a new platform.

hairyman

I dont know why there is so much affection on here for Spanish ships/ I think their reputation as ship builders took a hit with the Spanish Armada.
Correct me if I am wrong, but is'nt our AWD's based on an American design?

Hazdog

I dont know why there is so much affection on here for Spanish ships/ I think their reputation as ship builders took a hit with the Spanish Armada.
Our AWD are modified from Álvaro de Bazán frigates of the Spanish Armada.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
American systems and weapons, the F100 design I believe is more european in origin sharing more with the De Zeven Provincien class which is 6,000t 40 VLS air defence ship.

I think you could make a good frigate out of the the F-105 hull, with two helicopters, 48 VLS, a nice big and high radar, etc.70% commonality with the existing AWD systems and a yard all ready tooled up for the work with it being very low risk.

But for the long future say 2030 and beyond. If your building a new AWD, I would be looking at a clean sheet redesign. 10,000t+, IEP, much larger missile magazine, whole new electric distribution, mech services subsystems, better setup for very long deployments with multiple crew changes, improvements in crewing numbers etc.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I am awatre of that. I am alao aware that the F100 was not a Spanish design, but actually an Amercan design.
It was a collabritative effort between IZAR, Lockheed, General Dynamics and Bath Iron works rather than an American design

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It was a collabritative effort between IZAR, Lockheed, General Dynamics and Bath Iron works rather than an American design
There was a lot of the cancelled NF90 NATO Frigate in it as well as a fair bit of FFG-7 DNA. There are also a lot of differences between it and how an outwardly similar design would have been built in the US, particularly at BIW, lots of details in the build strategy, plate alignments, material types and thicknesses.

The configuration bears considerable similarities to the losing Ingalls proposal for what became the Arliegh Burke class, imagine the same SPY antenna and superstructure arrangements on a Spruance hull but without the hangers.

swerve

Super Moderator
Not really. Putting a land soldier in charge of the fleet who had no experience or knowledge of naval warfare didn't help, particularly the individual chosen.

From what I've read, to his credit, he recognised his lack of qualifications & asked to be excused, offering to take command of some of the soldiers on board the fleet - but the king refused, & ordered him to take the job, because he was known to be scrupulously honest & extremely conscientious.

Unfortunately, that made things even worse: having been given the duty, he regarded himself as bound to perform it, & so he kept tight control, despite his knowledge of his own weaknesses. He felt that delegating would have been an evasion of his duty. Oh, he listened to his experienced naval officers, but he took all the decisions - & made mistakes that a real admiral probably wouldn't have done.

And the whole plan was cockamamie anyway. Parma didn't want to be involved, & had other things to do with his soldiers (those pesky Dutch!), so wasn't going to have them waiting on the quayside ready to board ship as soon as the armada turned up - that being a very uncertain date - so they had to sit off a coast with lousy anchorages for an indeterminate time, while Parma prevaricated, with the English upwind of them. That was where the chance was lost. They were extremely unlucky with the weather, too.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was a lot of the cancelled NF90 NATO Frigate in it as well as a fair bit of FFG-7 DNA. There are also a lot of differences between it and how an outwardly similar design would have been built in the US, particularly at BIW, lots of details in the build strategy, plate alignments, material types and thicknesses.

The configuration bears considerable similarities to the losing Ingalls proposal for what became the Arliegh Burke class, imagine the same SPY antenna and superstructure arrangements on a Spruance hull but without the hangers.
Was that arrangement going to have the radar on top of the bridge? It just seems to be a unique arrangement for the Spanish derived ships.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Was that arrangement going to have the radar on top of the bridge? It just seems to be a unique arrangement for the Spanish derived ships.
Yes, when I first saw the artist impression I thought it was an F-100, the side and plan elevations showed the lack of a hanger and multiple Mk-75 76mm mounts. It was very much an austere aegis destroyer. If I recall correctly it had three gts with a connecting gear box rather than the two per shat arrangement of their FFGs, DDGs and CGs.

Just found a link with the picture I was referring to.
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=496

r3mu511

^re. the ingalls ddx: see attached image of the Litton ddm (aegis ddx) proposal; ref: Friedman "US destroyers history"... aegis panels are above the bridge in their proposal...

from friedman's book:

Having produced the privately designed Spruance class and its
Ticonderoga offshoot, Litton Industries (Ingalls Shipbuilding) offered
the Navy an alternative to the evolving DDX. This 1980 sketch shows
the firm's DDM (destroyer, missiles) proposal. Like DDX, it offered
the Aegis system with vertical launchers in a less expensive hull. A
May 1980 Ingalls brochure described DDM as a variant of the final
Spruance-class destroyer, USS Hayler (DD 997). This design was
compared to a 6000-tonner {note: info of which is omitted here -
erik_t}, which was presumably the DDX variant then under
consideration. Both ships had two 61-cell vertical launchers (106
Standard Missiles and 16 Tomahawks)... DDM had a 5-inch gun (aft) plus
2 Phalanx for close-in defense... each also had Mk 32 torpedo tubes,
but only DDM had reloads. The DDM combat system was based on Aegis...
DDM had the existing Aegis system... DDM would use the standard type
{of SQS-53}. Each ship was powered by three (rather than four of a
standard Spruance LM 2500 gas turbines, for a sustained speed of 29
knots (range 5000nm)... DDM did not {use integrated electric drive}
(its most economical mode, with only one turbine running, required it
to trail one shaft)... 6900 tons (529' waterline/563' overall x 55 x
15 ft; displacement was also given as 5859 tons light and 7145 tons
fully loaded, compared to 8040 tons fully loaded for Hayler) for
DDM... DDM could accommodate two {helo} parking spots. Litton also
claimed that its design offered far more growth potential (30-40
percent vs. 10-15 percent in payload). Estimated cost in FY 80 terms
was $187 million for a lead ship and $130 million for a follow-on...
compared to a Spruance, DDM offered better survivability and better
fuel economy. Survivability improvements included relocating CIC to
the hull, all-steel construction, and some armor (about 50 tons of
HY-80). This sketch does not quite match the May 1980 brochure, in
that it shows a pair of 3-inch guns (no 5-inch). There are also three
rather than four illuminators (in the May 1980 version, the fourth
illuminator was placed atop a lattice foremast, where the sketch shows
a pylon). In the May 1980 version, the ship has a Phalanx forward
where the 3-inch gun is in the sketch, the other being abaft the after
uptakes; the 5-inch gun is right aft, abaft the helicopter platform.
In the sketch, the helicopter platform has been relocated to the
fantail, presumably to shorten the ship.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
lol, looks like we posted minutes apart :) yep, same info source (ie. friedman)...
I have an earlier edition of the book with some information on DDX but nothing on DDM which I found out about by chance years later when working on AWD. Actually got a few of Freidman's books even some double ups thanks to Amazon not being able to understand plain English.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I have an earlier edition of the book with some information on DDX but nothing on DDM which I found out about by chance years later when working on AWD. Actually got a few of Freidman's books even some double ups thanks to Amazon not being able to understand plain English.
I attended a conference where Friedman was the lead speaker on joint warfare and maritime C4 issues. He's an interesting fellah.

Pusser01

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The link that Volkodav posted earlier NUSHIP 'Hobart' - D 39 e NUSHIP 'Brisbane' - D 41, Fitting out no estaleiro ASC Pty Ltd. - Poder Naval - A informação naval comentada e discutida. shows what looks like a small ramp/crane above the Hangar, which looks to be a small ramp or launcher for a drone i.e. scan eagle. Is this something that has been in the original plans because i have never seen it before?:confused:
It looks like a hardpoint for RAS-H, (replenishment at sea - heavy) used as a highpoint for the wire for food/ammo transfers. There are similar points below the bridge, one on either side. They fold back against the superstructure when not in use. The FFG's have a similar setup.
Cheers

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It looks like a hardpoint for RAS-H, (replenishment at sea - heavy) used as a highpoint for the wire for food/ammo transfers. There are similar points below the bridge, one on either side. They fold back against the superstructure when not in use. The FFG's have a similar setup.
Cheers
The AWD has done away with the bridge front RAS point and they just have the midships option forward of the hanger. Given fact both ships are covered in platforms and scaffolding I suspect that what Hazdog is looking at is part of that.

The lack of bridge front RAS points are obvisous on the Hobart seatrail video
https://youtu.be/X1DU7Dd7tMc

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Above the HCO positon and below the CIWS is the SGSI bar. The thing shown on the Spanish drawing below the pic of the two ships seems to be a figment of their imagination. In reference to the previous comments on RAS equiment there is a sliding padeye amidships; but there are also a couple of RAS(L) points one on the after end of the forward superstructure and the other abreast the aft illuminator.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.