Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It's an aircraft lighting frame, also nicknamed the goal posts. It has no "intended" structural benefit. It's just used to mount spotlights, GPI, HRS etc and allow gantry access for servicing.
Thanks very much, I'd been wondering about that as I hadn't seen any lifting rig fitted or seen it used.

Stampede

It's an aircraft lighting frame, also nicknamed the goal posts. It has no "intended" structural benefit. It's just used to mount spotlights, GPI, HRS etc and allow gantry access for servicing.
Pike

Thanks for the post and clarity.

Regards S

rossfrb_1

What's on offer at Garden island

Was hoping to get a few shots of the Japanese Soru Hakuryu, but it was tucked away for viewing from Mrs Macquaries.
Got some shots of HMAS Ballarat and Warramunga sporting their ASMD best, Choules was looking a little scruffy, and even HMAS Canberra has quite a few rusty bits. Hard to believe she is brand spanking new. She's huge though.
rb

phreeky

I've always wondering when I see ships like that - is it rust? Is it deep, or just a little bit of love needed on the surface to clean up?

edit: Nevermind, I did some googling, those actually don't look too bad compared to some others.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I've always wondering when I see ships like that - is it rust? Is it deep, or just a little bit of love needed on the surface to clean up?

edit: Nevermind, I did some googling, those actually don't look too bad compared to some others.
Choules has just returned from a long deployment in the North of the country which has also taken her to Vietnam, Cocos Island, Christmas Island. She has been the standby HADR ship throughout the northern wet season.
Having said that she does look a little tacky and must have been through some quite heavy weather. Most of the surface rust comes from run off from her deck, rubbing anchor cable or from wear around her hull openings and could be easily removed with the application of some phosphoric acid solution such as "Rust Rinse"

All is normal from a ship that has worked hard. In the old days, yes I'm old, this would have been taken care of when she was at anchor or in port by her "Side Party" a group of seamen allocated for duty to clean off rust and repaint, where needed, the ships side from the deck down

SpazSinbad

....All is normal from a ship that has worked hard. In the old days, yes I'm old, this would have been taken care of when she was at anchor or in port by her "Side Party" a group of seamen allocated for duty to clean off rust and repaint, where needed, the ships side from the deck down
And then there was 'Jenny's Side Party' in Hong Kong. The last 'Jenny' died some years ago now with magnificent obituaries from the RN/RAN 'of old'.

Interesting how the German option is described as "safe" in that article yet we're still to see an exampled docked at Garden Island. Let's hope the best option is selected and it doesn't come down to foreign interests jockeying individual politicians.

t68

Interesting how the German option is described as "safe" in that article yet we're still to see an exampled docked at Garden Island. Let's hope the best option is selected and it doesn't come down to foreign interests jockeying individual politicians.
Yep, how is it any different modifying an exsisting design which suits our needs to about 80% compared to the German design which is based off the Type 214 which suits the RAN 0%

hauritz

Regardless of which sub is selected I would hope that it will not simply be for political reasons.

We have been down that path before and with a high risk project such as this you don't want to muck around.

vonnoobie

While the Japanese are closer to our need's then any one else I would still like to see which ever winner collaberate with the other contender (Japan and Germany) as they both have some inque and valuable features, Would be good to see them combined to truly make the worlds greatest conventional submarine.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Just finished watching the PM and Defmin announce the ship build process. The Pacific Pbs will be steel and built by Austal, the OPV are down to three, Fassmer, Lurssen and Damen and will be started in Adelaide and when the AWD Sydney is completed and the Frigates commenced the construction will move to Henderson
The Future frigates are down to three, BAE, Fincantieri FREMM and Navantia.

Two big surprises for me, first I thought the T26 was out of the picture and second the Fassmer OPV 80 or 85. That slipped under the radar but looks a goer in the Chilean Navy.

vonnoobie

I'd imagine they are thinking of Austal as a builder for the OPV's? No other contender really exist's there currently that could build a ship of that size as no one else has the infrastructure in place.

Would take time to build the facilities and Austal really is the only one there that has such facilities in place, No time for any one to build them considering the tight time frame.

As for the frigates, Even though the BAE made it past thr first round I don't see it being chosen. Time frame just too tight and it needs too much work, Now that we have had our experiance with Navantia and know what to look out for I see that being our best bet assuming they upgrade all of the old crap in them.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I'd imagine they are thinking of Austal as a builder for the OPV's? No other contender really exist's there currently that could build a ship of that size as no one else has the infrastructure in place.

Would take time to build the facilities and Austal really is the only one there that has such facilities in place, No time for any one to build them considering the tight time frame.

As for the frigates, Even though the BAE made it past thr first round I don't see it being chosen. Time frame just too tight and it needs too much work, Now that we have had our experiance with Navantia and know what to look out for I see that being our best bet assuming they upgrade all of the old crap in them.
Unless BAE gutted it, there should be a facility in Henderson WA with an 8,000 ton shiplift IIRC from when BAE bought Tenix.

Even with that, I have trouble understanding the notion of Austal making steel patrol boats. Do they have experience working in steel? Or is this some sort of 'new ' capability which would need to be build up?

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Unless BAE gutted it, there should be a facility in Henderson WA with an 8,000 ton shiplift IIRC from when BAE bought Tenix.

Even with that, I have trouble understanding the notion of Austal making steel patrol boats. Do they have experience working in steel? Or is this some sort of 'new ' capability which would need to be build up?
That facility, unless it has had a major upgrade, is very subpar, little more than a demountable city. Henderson has the space and the facilities, ironically as the OPVs and PPBs are to be steel it means they will have no excuse to use welders on 457 visas (predominantly from Austals Philippine facility) instead of Australians.

Alf662

IIRC didn't Austal buy Forgacs in Newcastle. I would imagine that would go some way towards giving them the additional skill sets that they need for building in steel.

Pity Damen didn't get up with their version for the PPB (I am a bit partial to them). It may be a bit early, but where will the Austal PPB be sustained? Henderson or Cairns?

Milne Bay

IIRC didn't Austal buy Forgacs in Newcastle. I would imagine that would go some way towards giving them the additional skill sets that they need for building in steel.
No, that was Civmec that purchased the Forjacs facility. It is certainly strange to see steel hull construction go to Austal. But there is an election coming and all of this pork will be spread far and wide to shore up votes - so strange things may be in the wings

Status
Not open for further replies.