Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

the road runner

There are very good reasons why we should seriously consider the French and German proposals. And these really are national proposals, which country do we choose to have a much closer relationship with.
As Collins was an Orphaned fleet, i would put the German and French solutions in this basket.I honestly think the Japanese bring a lot more to the table, a design that is proven,Multi national companies to support it,transfer of tech and hopefully build a lasting sub partnership between Australia and Japan.

I am Pro Soryu all the way

t68

What about the Canadians and the Victoria/Upholders, should be due for replacement along the same time frame as Collins.

hairyman

One suggestion that could be made or whispered to the Japanese, is that if everything in rosy on the submarine front, Australia could look at a split fleet of frigates, with five large frigates based on the German design and five smaller frigates based on the Japanese fast frigate. It might peak their interest.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about the Canadians and the Victoria/Upholders, should be due for replacement along the same time frame as Collins.
I wouldn't bet on a replacement, and certainly not one occurring in the short term. They may choose a smaller European sub, or elect not to have any subs.

One suggestion that could be made or whispered to the Japanese, is that if everything in rosy on the submarine front, Australia could look at a split fleet of frigates, with five large frigates based on the German design and five smaller frigates based on the Japanese fast frigate. It might peak their interest.
I think if we went with a Japanese proposal and if the submarine builds go well, there could certainly be more AUS/Japan projects going forward.

Destroyers, frigates, amphibious ships, missiles, power train, weapons, etc. But I don't see it happening in the sea5000 time frame.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
nope, won't happen for a number of reasons. no appetite for small squadron sized purchases. - it doesn't help the fleet mix and or long term planning

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There are very good reasons why we should seriously consider the French and German proposals. And these really are national proposals, which country do we choose to have a much closer relationship with.
god no. I can think of far more reasons to get japanese subs over any combination of alternative offerings.

planning is done 30-40 years ahead, think of the geostrat scenarios articulated for 2030 that were done in the 90's. they were consistent then and the strat global vision is still the same

even if france and germany actually had real subs with measurable performance and history available, what geopolitical imperative relevant to our region supports buying them anyway?

none that I can think of. the combat capability scenarios used to help determine platform acquisition aren't geared around a greater european participation in "perceived" future conflicts in south east asia and east asia.

OTOH 2 of our principle allies who are nervous about the PACRIM future have a vested interest in staying engaged with us - ie they have a geopolitical investment - not just a box flogging mindset.

vonnoobie

Would never happen, It would effect cost savings of a mass production program while also increasing costs for us having to maintane 2 differing classes of ships that would both have to be modified to an extent that they could be classified as a class of there own. Having 1 unique class (Hobart class) is bad enough, having a 2nd unique class (Future frigate) will be stretching it, having 1 unique Destroyer class and 2 unique classes of frigates will be the final step the breaks the camels back.

For a navy the size of the RAN the fewest amount of classes is best, Had the AWD project not been stuffed up by everyone involved from navantia to the Federal government then getting an ASW version would have been the best option.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
I don't know if Japan is keen to export more subs. To whom? Does Japan really want to get involved in Indian procurement. Im sure India would like it. If it does all Indian subs will be built locally in India.

But it would not be out of the realm of possibility that they want more subs for themselves. With a large facility in Australia, they can build more subs, quicker. I would say there is less than a 10% chance the Japanese will want anyone else to have one of their subs in a realistic sale deal. I would say its 80%+ that they would want to operate more subs themselves. I would say its not impossible to envisage Japan operating 30%+ more subs than they currently do. They have just announced a 20% increase to 22 subs, which I wouldn't be surprised might be getting near the maximum they can make realistically at the two yards (12 per yard for a maximum of 24 per design cycle. Im sure more could be made but may interfere and would have to have a large workforce come online very quickly, something with Japans demographics won't be easy in the future).

Say Australia only builds 8, Japan might definitely be interested in the other 4 being built in Australia. The will make the line more productive and lower the cost overall. Japan might be interested in having maintenance carried out in Australia as well.

Mitsubishi is just one of the builders of course. Kawasaki is the other. I wonder which Australia will have most to do with. Kawasaki has utilised its experience in welding nuclear equipment together on its submarine program. I'm sure there is much expertise to be pulled together across Mitsubishi, Kawasaki and ASC.

This might clarify how it appears that Japan is going to increase their submarine fleet from 16 in commission to eventually 22 in commission.

Currently there are 11 Oyashio class in commission, and there are currently 5 Soryu (of 11 approved) in commission for a total of 16.

Below is a link to the 2016 Japanese Defence Budget (in English):

http://www.mod.go.jp/e/d_budget/pdf/271016.pdf

Scroll down to page 8 of the PDF.

As you will see a 12th Soryu has been approved and also approval has been given to extending the life to 4 of the Oyashio class.

How I read that is, instead of the usual approx. 16yr life span of a Japanese submarine, they will obviously be looking at increasing the life span to 22yrs (eg, 22 boats in commission).

Japan currently commissions a new boat March of every year (and in the past as a new boat commissions, the oldest of the previous class is retired, keeping the total at 16), but that is obviously not the case now.

Next month the 6th Soryu is due to commission, which will mean the fleet increases to 17 boats, the following year 18, and so on.

So by the time the 12th Soryu is commissioned, (with the appropriate life extensions), there should still be 10 Oyashio in commission, which brings the total to 22.

As long as Japan can successfully extend the life of the Oyashio class to '22 years' then there is no reason for the current output of 1 new boat per year to be increased.

Each of the two yards currently being used for submarine construction can continue on producing a new boat every two years (alternating yearly between those two yards).

Cheers,

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

For a navy the size of the RAN the fewest amount of classes is best, Had the AWD project not been stuffed up by everyone involved from navantia to the Federal government then getting an ASW version would have been the best option.
The first sentence is logical but your second contradicts the first.
We now have a production system for the AWDs which, to the layman, is moving ahead with a cumulative increase in productivity of around 50% for the third ship. We have a workforce which is familiar with the production method, provided they're still around when production begins, and a shipyard ideally placed to produce and assemble familiar modules.
I agree with you that an ASW version is the best option though, I don't mind if the design is dated, we don't need risky cutting edge warships, we need established and proven ships which can be finessed over time.

Once we have a stable workforce who know they have continuing work then there will be a time for a newer design and I would postulate that this will come after (about) a further 3 hulls. A class of 6 similar vessels makes sense for a sustainment task. A further 6 more advanced frigates should be built for SEA 5000 phase II.

The benefit of the above is that you don't hand over a blank cheque to any one company to produce the follow on Anzacs, there will be continuing pressure on the shipyard to perform because performance will determine the who gets the cherry for phase II.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
There are reports that ASC shipbuilding will be down to a workforce of about 100 by the end of the decade if the OPV project doesn't cut steel by 2018 to which Corrman responded the project will probably start by 2018 and the ships will probably be built by ASC. Seems to be a lot of urgency going into not repeating the mistakes of the past.......

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
How about instead of new frigates we build three Flight II AWDs and three Hyugas (adapted to use recycled and refurbished ANZAC ASMD systems) then make up numbers by recycling the ANZAC combat system into a new class of five perfectly good enough frigates (but very highly automated to reduce crew).

More than enough work to keep ASC, BAE and Forgacs, as well as an expanded domestic supply chain, going pretty much indefinitely. This would work even better if the government eventually replaces the entire PB force with OPVs (obviously nine or ten instead of fourteen though unless we return to the OCV concept and replace the MCM and survey vessels as well)

On submarines if you look at Japan, as John explained, they have two yards delivering one new boat every year with each boat them previously only serving sixteen years, so each yard is delivering one boat every two years. Australia has one yard, assuming one boat delivered every two years even a class of eight would take sixteen years to build, i.e. the expected lifespan of the class as designed. Go to twelve boats and that's twenty four years to build which would be a fair life span. Assuming the oldest pair of boats are used, one for along side and one for at sea training and perhaps one on each coast for ASW training with the fleet we could probably quite easily justify a fleet of twelve.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
How about instead of new frigates we build three Flight II AWDs and three Hyugas (adapted to use recycled and refurbished ANZAC ASMD systems) then make up numbers by recycling the ANZAC combat system into a new class of five perfectly good enough frigates (but very highly automated to reduce crew).

More than enough work to keep ASC, BAE and Forgacs, as well as an expanded domestic supply chain, going pretty much indefinitely. This would work even better if the government eventually replaces the entire PB force with OPVs (obviously nine or ten instead of fourteen though unless we return to the OCV concept and replace the MCM and survey vessels as well)

On submarines if you look at Japan, as John explained, they have two yards delivering one new boat every year with each boat them previously only serving sixteen years, so each yard is delivering one boat every two years. Australia has one yard, assuming one boat delivered every two years even a class of eight would take sixteen years to build, i.e. the expected lifespan of the class as designed. Go to twelve boats and that's twenty four years to build which would be a fair life span. Assuming the oldest pair of boats are used, one for along side and one for at sea training and perhaps one on each coast for ASW training with the fleet we could probably quite easily justify a fleet of twelve.
Stop and start the whole process over again? Scrap the plan for the OPV's and Future Frigates and build three new AWD's and three Hyugas?

Please, Noooooooooooooooooooo!!

The problem for the current Government (as I see it), is that it's caught between a rock and a hard place, a real Catch 22.

One the one hand there is pressure to provide jobs (and job certainty for industry), and on the hand provide the appropriate replacements for the current ships in a timely manner too.

The process that appears to have been in train for the last period of time is to make a selection on the OPV and Future Frigates (sooner than later) so that steel can start to be cut in 2018 (OPV's) and steel can start to be cut in 2020 (Future Frigates) and one would assume that steel to start cutting for the Collins replacement within a few years of the Future Frigates (somewhere in the early 2020's).

Could the above 'compressed' timeframe have been avoided? Probably yes.

For the sake of both industry (continuity of work) and the Navy (reasonable time to pick the right design), it would have taken the previous Rudd/Gillard/Rudd Governments to have made some decisions during the 2007-1013 period and potentially ordered that 4th AWD, etc, I think it's too late to start that again now.

If the 4th AWD had been ordered (and no doubt block work would be continuing for the next little while), it could have given the current Government a bit more time (maybe a couple of years?) to not rush the programs that it now appears to be rushing to have in place to satisfy industry! (Anyway, just my opinion of course!!).

On the question of Submarine production (assuming the Japanese boat is selected, I wrote a comment on this a few weeks back), I'm very interested to see what the Governments plan for the production on the replacement Collins class is.

Will it be a 24mth gap between boats? 18mths? or 12mths? (If we follow and replicate the Japanese current production model it will be 24mths).

The problem at 24mths is the time from the first boat to at least the sixth boat, it's 10 years, if it's 8 boats it's 14 years.

So how does that work in with ensuring there is no capability gap?

Lots of interesting questions, probably not a lot of answers until the new DWP and DCP!!!

rjtjrt

The Australian | February 9, 2016 12:00AM | Cameron Stewart, Associate Editor | Melbourne

The French have moved to undermine Japan’s bid to build the navy’s new submarines, saying only a “complete submarine power’’ such as France can provide the strategic partnership Australia needs for its future defence.

Sean Costello, head of France’s DCNS Australia, says Australia and France are now fighting side-by-side against Islamic State but this strategic engagement will be entrenched for decades at an unprecedented level if Australia chooses to buy its new submarines from France.

“Where Australia selects France, it selects enduring geopolitical alignment and surety of supply, a program of technical transfer to deliver sovereignty, a regionally superior capability and interoperability with our allies,” Mr Costello will tell the Australian Defence Magazine Conference in Canberra today.
Whilst Sean may be spruking France for his own reasons as an employee, no one should forget that France has form in NOT providing "surety of supply".
She, as with other Eupean nations, refused to supply 30mmDEFA ammunition for the Mirage as a protest at our involvement in the war in Vietnam.
France has absolutely shown no loyalty to a customer, nor would it in the future if we chose to employ our French designed submarines in a way she disapproved of.
The statement from Mr Costello is a rewrite of recent history.
“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

More than enough work to keep ASC, BAE and Forgacs, as well as an expanded domestic supply chain, going pretty much indefinitely. This would work even better if the government eventually replaces the entire PB force with OPVs (obviously nine or ten instead of fourteen though unless we return to the OCV concept and replace the MCM and survey vessels as well) ��

I think that the Hyugas would be quite a strain on RAN resources for what they would give the RAN. For example crewing. Each vessel has they same crew as the equivalent of three new frigates of say 120 bods per crew. They only carry 16 VLS cells, which is only eight more than the ANZAC class. They can carry 16 Romeos but the RAN only has 24 so a lot of ship for liitle advantage to the RAN, based on present funding, CONOPS and personnel levels. The real point being given the current climate, what other capabilities and / or platforms would the RAN have to give up for them? Maybe if they looked at it when they planned the AWDs, it might have been doable, giving the RAN a really top notch versatile platform, almost akin to a CCG for AAW /ASW / ASuW and maybe ABM.

The idea of highly automated frigates fitted with the pulled through ASMD kit from the ANZAC class, is worth investigating and I would have to be honest and suggest using the AWD hull. It's a known quality and if half the replacements were built like that and using automation similar to the commercial shipping industry, then it would be a good start point, giving time to develop the next class or next flight of that class. The only issue that I would have with that is, crew numbers for damage control and two action watches 24/7. You would definitely have the space to install up to 48 VLS cells, maybe more. I would like to see a good mission bay system and a stern based boat launch and recovery system that won't interfere with a towed array.

For your OPVs yes they need to cut steel ASAP.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Stop and start the whole process over again? Scrap the plan for the OPV's and Future Frigates and build three new AWD's and three Hyugas?

Please, Noooooooooooooooooooo!!

The problem for the current Government (as I see it), is that it's caught between a rock and a hard place, a real Catch 22.

One the one hand there is pressure to provide jobs (and job certainty for industry), and on the hand provide the appropriate replacements for the current ships in a timely manner too.

The process that appears to have been in train for the last period of time is to make a selection on the OPV and Future Frigates (sooner than later) so that steel can start to be cut in 2018 (OPV's) and steel can start to be cut in 2020 (Future Frigates) and one would assume that steel to start cutting for the Collins replacement within a few years of the Future Frigates (somewhere in the early 2020's).

Could the above 'compressed' timeframe have been avoided? Probably yes.

For the sake of both industry (continuity of work) and the Navy (reasonable time to pick the right design), it would have taken the previous Rudd/Gillard/Rudd Governments to have made some decisions during the 2007-1013 period and potentially ordered that 4th AWD, etc, I think it's too late to start that again now.

If the 4th AWD had been ordered (and no doubt block work would be continuing for the next little while), it could have given the current Government a bit more time (maybe a couple of years?) to not rush the programs that it now appears to be rushing to have in place to satisfy industry! (Anyway, just my opinion of course!!).

On the question of Submarine production (assuming the Japanese boat is selected, I wrote a comment on this a few weeks back), I'm very interested to see what the Governments plan for the production on the replacement Collins class is.

Will it be a 24mth gap between boats? 18mths? or 12mths? (If we follow and replicate the Japanese current production model it will be 24mths).

The problem at 24mths is the time from the first boat to at least the sixth boat, it's 10 years, if it's 8 boats it's 14 years.

So how does that work in with ensuring there is no capability gap?

Lots of interesting questions, probably not a lot of answers until the new DWP and DCP!!!
IMO the simplest way forward would be to order a second batch of three improved Hobarts, they would slot straight into the existing project and would easily be the lowest risk option.

Concurrently with that build we should determine the requirements for the next project, ideally an enhanced ASW asset with significant aviation facilities, significantly in advance of those on our old frigate and new destroyers.

Again concurrently we should enhance our local design capability by developing an indigenous OPV, shouldn't be too hard as they are still comparatively simple vessels, definitely more so than the Tenix 81m corvette of the mid 90s. These would then keep the yards busy as the new frigate is developed.

Fresh from the OPV design the team would then start work on a new frigate to replace the remaining ANZACs (which by this stage would be filling primarily training and constabulary assignments). These ships would initially use as many refurbished ANZAC systems as possible with the intention of fitting new systems as they become available.

Next off the cab would be the AWD replacement.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Whilst Sean may be spruking France for his own reasons as an employee, no one should forget that France has form in NOT providing "surety of supply".
She, as with other Eupean nations, refused to supply 30mmDEFA ammunition for the Mirage as a protest at our involvement in the war in Vietnam.
France has absolutely shown no loyalty to a customer, nor would it in the future if we chose to employ our French designed submarines in a way she disapproved of.
The statement from Mr Costello is a rewrite of recent history.
“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”
i'm sure the israeli navy and airforce will provide references on french reliability on contracts as well...... not

40 deg south

This might clarify how it appears that Japan is going to increase their submarine fleet from 16 in commission to eventually 22 in commission.

Currently there are 11 Oyashio class in commission, and there are currently 5 Soryu (of 11 approved) in commission for a total of 16.

Below is a link to the 2016 Japanese Defence Budget (in English):

http://www.mod.go.jp/e/d_budget/pdf/271016.pdf

Scroll down to page 8 of the PDF...
Great link, JN. It would never have occurred to me that Japan would publish an English-language summary of their defence budget.

The marvels of the internet, eh.

t68

@ Volk

Whilst I do like your summary using Hyuga's for the RAN I believe they should be in addition to the ASW frigate force, don't really fancy the idea of all our eggs in one basket in regards to the ASW force, a better solution maybe the Japanese Shirane type ASW destroyers with large hanger capabile of store 3 or 4 Romeo having the helo's dispersed more, have 2 on board at any one time then when the threat level dictates increase to the 3-4 helicopters on board.

Just my 2 bobs worth

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Great link, JN. It would never have occurred to me that Japan would publish an English-language summary of their defence budget.

The marvels of the internet, eh.
Yes it is a pretty good link, certainly goes into a lot of detail of specific systems, etc.

Going to the bottom of the last page, it was published in August 2015, have to remember to keep an eye out for the 2017 version later this year too (I came across it I think about a month back).

And yes Google is your friend, just have to ask the right questions!!

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Again concurrently we should enhance our local design capability by developing an indigenous OPV, shouldn't be too hard as they are still comparatively simple vessels, definitely more so than the Tenix 81m corvette of the mid 90s. These would then keep the yards busy as the new frigate is developed.
By the time the OPV design was completed, the old patrol boats would all be museum exhibits or recycled aluminium foil. They want - indeed, need - to start building them in two years or the capability gap will be impossible.

I think you might reasonably consign this idea to the pie-in-the-sky bin with any idea of RAN Hyugas.

oldsig

Status
Not open for further replies.