Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anyone care to speculate what the panel extruding from the front of the superstructure underneath the bridge of Canberra might be?

Gordon Branch

Would anyone care to speculate what the panel extruding from the front of the superstructure underneath the bridge of Canberra might be?
The information I have (admittedly 2 years old) shows a RAS Station on the front of the island but not in the configuration in the video. There are what look like mounts for RAS equipment in the video.

Last edited:

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Looks like a scabbed on radio room as has what could be four antenna bases on it. Might fit with all the talk about LHD having C2 problems.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
My bet would be temporary lifting lugs where a second crane can attach to manoeuvre the block into position.

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking along the lines of Abe's suggestion, but Assail has me thinking as well. I've looked through some Navantia build vids for Juan Carlos I for some clues but no luck.

Whilst looking through you tube I came across this vid.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNiUgJzFnts"]BAE Systems - Ship Shape - YouTube[/nomedia]

It shows a radome mast for Canberra being unloaded from a ship at the BAE yard in Williamstown. It also shows another mast still on the ship. These were obviously constructed elsewhere, does anyone know where? I was under the impression all this work was being done at Williamstown.

Cheers

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Whilst looking through you tube I came across this vid.

BAE Systems - Ship Shape - YouTube

It shows a radome mast for Canberra being unloaded from a ship at the BAE yard in Williamstown. It also shows another mast still on the ship. These were obviously constructed elsewhere, does anyone know where? I was under the impression all this work was being done at Williamstown.

Cheers
Masts were built at BAE Henderson WA

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Here is a recent article by APDR regarding future subs for Australia with a Japanese flavour.Of note was the Soryu class that only has a range similar l to a Type 214.(6100 Nm)I found that a rather interesting fact.

JAPANESE FLAVOURED SUBMARINES FOR SEA 1000 | Australian Defence News & Articles | Asia Pacific Defence Reporter
great - and for close to 6 years a few of us have been hammering the advantages of co-dev with the japanese

now the mainstream def mags have woken up
give the broadsheets another 5 years and they'll discover that japan has subs

the road runner

GF i recall a number of you defence guys being in favour of Japanese tech and a co development a few years ago on this forum. It is just refreshing to see some defence writers picking up on it.Seems as tho the seed is being planted ,hope you found this article refreshing.

Now we just have to see the mainstream media picking this up as they did" rented nuke boats," from the USA.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Here is a recent article by APDR regarding future subs for Australia with a Japanese flavour.Of note was the Soryu class that only has a range similar l to a Type 214.(6100 Nm)I found that a rather interesting fact.

JAPANESE FLAVOURED SUBMARINES FOR SEA 1000 | Australian Defence News & Articles | Asia Pacific Defence Reporter
Don't be too concerned with the quoted range, it would be rather understated anyway :) Also it will be the Soryu follow on class, so requirement for both countries can be factored in during the design/evolution of the class.

I dont believe we will end up with the exact same boat as the Japanese either, so internally changes can be made to suit, combat systems, sonar, accomodation fitout etc

Cheers

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
cough cough :)

just like quoted dive depths...
That's a nasty cough there mate, better get it checked out :)

Yeah like the Collins, greater that 180m ? Hmmm, I would be interested in the real range though ? but I dare say I would not be able to understand your response through all the coughing and wheezing ! lol

Cheers

weegee

Hmas Canberra

Hi Guys just for my own clarification, the LHD Canberra is completely fitted out hull wise isn't she? all that is being done in Melbourne is the bridge assembly and fit out?
Or are there some minor things to add down stairs as well?

Thanks

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
My - very primitive - knowledge of the Canberra class is that at the minute she's pretty much hollow and it's gunna take a couple of years to kit out with ISD rumoured to be pushed back around 2016 I think.

Although, I'd be perfectly happy to be pointed in the right direction by someone in the know.

EDIT: Seems like the major things down to be done in Aus are fitting the island and kitting it all out with communications and combat systems and intergrating the superstructure with the rest of the ship.

Dayra

My - very primitive - knowledge of the Canberra class is that at the minute she's pretty much hollow and it's gunna take a couple of years to kit out with ISD rumoured to be pushed back around 2016 I think.

Although, I'd be perfectly happy to be pointed in the right direction by someone in the know.

EDIT: Seems like the major things down to be done in Aus are fitting the island and kitting it all out with communications and combat systems and intergrating the superstructure with the rest of the ship.
Let the fun begin.

Dayra

Let the reading of forum rules begin:

You can start at number 2, if you like.
This is another one of those sometimes aspect of that rule.
I could elaborate on the fun however I do not know whats going on the ship.
Do not know what radar, what guns but I think its a bushmaster on each corner of the deck. For those involved this will be a big bag of fun. I thought that was an obvious exception to my rule number 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.