Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Another thought crosses my mind: Possible talks re the RN Bay ain't going well ?????

No, its recognising that we are in deep doo doo wrt the 3 pretend extant "fatships"

this is called risk mitigation as even if Largs goes ahead she will not be ready for use for some time.

Canterbury OTOH is ready for service with a familiar crew.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It appears to be "Bash the RAN day" in The Australian, some nice graphics showing that only two ANZACs and not much else is in service at the moment, along with some outraged commentary from David Johnston, "I want to know who is accountable for this multi-billion-dollar mess and how have we come to this". etc etc.

I and many others could tell him but, as the truth tends to land too close to home, I doubt he will listen. The current govenment hasn't improved things but the rot started well before 2007, in particular where the submarines are concerned.

SASWanabe

has anyone heard anything about Success+Sirius's replacements? will we be getting 2 multi store vessels or 1 multi store and 1 tanker?

PeterM

I think it is a smart move to decommission Manoora. How likely is it that Kanimbla and Tobruk follow suit?

The joint operation of HMNZS Canterbury is a good move, but we really do need to purchase/lease one of the Bay class if at all possible.

Is there any news on where things are with the LCH Replacement (JP2048 Ph) - are there any leading options?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I think it is a smart move to decommission Manoora. How likely is it that Kanimbla and Tobruk follow suit?
they're all buggered. if we were in reality mode they'd all be up for the chop.

if a succession of governments had not mucked around with RAN then they would not all be in their current circumstances

Sea Toby

Considering the condition of Aussie's fat ships today, I would think any government would jump at the opportunity to lease/buy a recently built Bay PDQ, preferably with a hot transfer. Surely, the RAN is capable of qualifying the ship within six months using a few RN personnel on loan if necessary. Its not as if the government is leasing/buying an unwanted ship as a Bay would fit in nicely for the planned third amphibious ship...

Many have found the Canterbury wanting... She isn't the best amphibious ship around, but her capabilities for sea lift of an enlarged company group can not be denied. She has already proved to be a good joint asset in previous Aussie-Kiwi exercises...

While Aussie fat ships appear bleak today, two new LHDs are on the way within the next three to four years which will remedy the situation... A transfer of a Bay this year would greatly close any perceived shortfall currently, along with joint use of the Canterbury...

StoresBasher

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
All our fat ships are out of action at the moment.
Manoora gone, Kanimbla and Tobruk, pretty much on their last legs, and Success in Singapore getting her hull done.
The Canterbury decision, was puzzling to say the least and most of the ships company I talked to today, were more than a little shocked when I told them.

I couldn't see if we got the Bay, it being ready for service within less than 12 months, way too many things to, change over to RAN standards.

Sea Toby

has anyone heard anything about Success+Sirius's replacements? will we be getting 2 multi store vessels or 1 multi store and 1 tanker?
I don't think that it really matters. One doesn't buy a new tanker and convert her for RAS operations and not keep her for twenty years. While I am sure the navy would prefer 2 brand new multi store ships, they can live with 1 brand new multi store and 1 new converted tanker as they have for the past twenty years....

As I have mentioned earlier in a wartime situation, many commerical cargo ships will be taken up from trade. The replenishment ships which the RAN operates are mostly used to maintain RAS skills during peacetime without having to take up commerical ships from trade on a continuing basis...

This arrangement can be changed if and when the government sees and reacts to a forthcoming threat...

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Her launching is upcoming very soon within the next week or two. I see her hull is about 2/3s to 3/4s painted... Appears the Spanish are building her on time and on budget... :D
Now its up to Australia to bugger the build up. I really hope this is a painless build. They can sure build em fast. Just imagine if we hadn't blown our $'s on seasprites, we could afford another LHD hull!

Jhom

Appears the Spanish are building her on time and on budget... :D
Well what were you expecting? we know something about building ships arround here :D

Anyway the Canberra looks gorgeous, cannot wait to see her in the water!! and the australians are getting two of them ;) !!!

Last edited:

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I couldn't see if we got the Bay, it being ready for service within less than 12 months, way too many things to, change over to RAN standards.
Atleast crew and staff would be busy preping, I would imagine a few would be deployed with RN crews ASAP.

We really need atleast 1 asset up and running.

Jhom

Watch your mouth, mate. People are liable to take you the wrong way when you say that kind of thing, even if it's said in jest.
Wasnt my intention to offend the aussies, i want to clear that and to say that it was an inocent joke!

OpinionNoted

Banned Member
Whats wrong with using the current collins class hull mated to whatever new propulsion/electronics so as to bypass a new unique to australia or off the shelf european design for australias future subs?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Whats wrong with using the current collins class hull mated to whatever new propulsion/electronics so as to bypass a new unique to australia or off the shelf european design for australias future subs?
There is no guarantee that the size, shape or composition of the current Collins-class SSG hull will be applicable or appropriate for the follow-on class.

One potential issue which comes immediately to mind if the Collins-class hull were to be used, is where would the control systems for the TLAM go? The current combat data system used aboard the Collins-class SSG is the same as used aboard USN Virginia-class SSN's, except that the SSG does not have the stations to fire TacToms. IIRC part of the reason why the stations were 'left out' was that there was insufficient room within the Collins-class for the stations to fit. In a related vein, since the future SSG is expected to have long-ranged land attack as one of its mission roles, it might be nice for the future sub to have some VLS capable of launching TacToms and/or Harpoon.

That way, valuable internal space for torpedoes, additional missiles or mines, etc is available while still allowing the sub to perform the mission.

-Cheers

OpinionNoted

Banned Member
There is no guarantee that the size, shape or composition of the current Collins-class SSG hull will be applicable or appropriate for the follow-on class.

One potential issue which comes immediately to mind if the Collins-class hull were to be used, is where would the control systems for the TLAM go? The current combat data system used aboard the Collins-class SSG is the same as used aboard USN Virginia-class SSN's, except that the SSG does not have the stations to fire TacToms. IIRC part of the reason why the stations were 'left out' was that there was insufficient room within the Collins-class for the stations to fit. In a related vein, since the future SSG is expected to have long-ranged land attack as one of its mission roles, it might be nice for the future sub to have some VLS capable of launching TacToms and/or Harpoon.

That way, valuable internal space for torpedoes, additional missiles or mines, etc is available while still allowing the sub to perform the mission.

-Cheers
If the current collins hull form is applicable or not,mabey,mabey not,but if so wonder if it would be feasible to add in a hull plug for tactom.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
If the current collins hull form is applicable or not,mabey,mabey not,but if so wonder if it would be feasible to add in a hull plug for tactom.
Submarines are pressure vessels and as such have a finite life. In addition the Collins is a 1980's design (that was admittedly ahead of its time) based on a 1970's design that could itself be traced back even further.

There are things that the Collins is expected to do that it is far from ideal for, i.e. special forces deployment and recovery. Its reserve stability is limited and there are a number of characteristics that leave a lot to be desired but this is only to be expected with such an old design.

We need a new design based on lessons learnt, lessons that neither the Germans or French have had.

Status
Not open for further replies.