Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
My take was the author assumes the Hunters were to be produced in batches of three.

Certainly does highlight the importance of identifying incoming threats and the time taken to respond.

Maybe a medium sized UAV AEW type system is the way forward for those navy's of the size of the RAN without a E-2 Hawkeye sized platform.

Regards S
...and that the RN is building eight, not in batches? I don't buy it. YMMV but I'm hypersensitive to careless errors of fact or misleading information and just one is enough to trigger my jaundiced eye.

oldsig

Geddy

It’s interesting how Nulka has not been developed to be recoverable if it survives the engagement. Another option would be to put its payload on a more conventional drone, or swarm or drones, to protect vessels over a longer period of time, activating when necessary.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It’s interesting how Nulka has not been developed to be recoverable if it survives the engagement. Another option would be to put its payload on a more conventional drone, or swarm or drones, to protect vessels over a longer period of time, activating when necessary.
It's simple, compact and inexpensive (as these things go) and has the massive advantage over launching a drone of fast reaction time. I'm certain drones can be used, but not much convinced of the advantages.

oldsig

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
If you're launching Nulka in a shooting match the last thing anyone on board will be caring about is recovering a decoy. ;)

Geddy

If you're launching Nulka in a shooting match the last thing anyone on board will be caring about is recovering a decoy. ;)
That’s what we said about orbital boosters until not long ago;)

it’s intriguing to imagine, say, 4 drones that launch at a time. They perform the decoy function and then automatically land back on the vessel.

Last edited:

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Alexsa - just my armchair questimate.

Not sure if there is much depth to the ship where the main gun sits.

A couple of pic's off Anzac Class Images

Interested in the "god forbid" hull bulges alarm.
I confess to know nothing of the subject other than a quick search on the net to now make me and expert!

Bulges appear to have two uses.
One extra buoyancy and the other an additional layer of protection against torpedo's.
Seems very much a WW11 solution for the needs of the day.

In the modern context it would give buoyancy to permit greater top weight.

What are the down sides to this approach?

Also puzzled as to why a bulbous bow has not been installed on the Anzac Class during their respective refits.
It is a feature found on much of the rest of the fleet, including ships currently planned or in construction.

Any advice?

Thanks S
The actual Magazine is in bowels of the ship. The gun house is directly below the gun. The magazine is below the CoG.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I figure reduced speed would be the trade off.

Any thoughts on the lack of a bulbous bow for the Anzac Class

Regards S
Bulbous bows are an efficiency tool and need to be optimised to the intended speed (or speed range) of the vessel. It is not always of benefit. The use of a bulbous bow on the LHD makes sense … the DDG have a bulbous bow to support the sonar dome. The FFG62 has no bulbous bow.

Horses for courses.

ddxx

For the DDG it is not a simple case of simply cutting a hole. The location you suggest is part of the strength structure of the vessel and chopping that out will have implications and I expect will need additional structure. This is not a simple process and I suspect that is not an option. I could not say if something like deck mounted Exls is an option but it add topweight but I don't think you will see 16 additional cells.
When I last thought about this in depth the only place on the DDG I thought could even potentially work is somewhere either side of the existing hangar. Given Navantia proposed the same base design with a dual hangar for SEA 5000, it does suggest that there's wriggle room in the internal layout of the hangar section of the superstructure. Tactical length cells would largely fit the height of the hangar superstructure with only a small ~1.3 metre protrusion above.

Obviously an oversimplification of things, but It's the only location that I could possibly see even potentially working. With the intended addition of TLAM to Hobart's VLS, being able to free up even just 8 of the existing strike length cells would certainly have its benefits in maintaining the existing AAW missile load out.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
When I last thought about this in depth the only place on the DDG I thought could even potentially work is somewhere either side of the existing hangar. Given Navantia proposed the same base design with a dual hangar for SEA 5000, it does suggest that there's wriggle room in the internal layout of the hangar section of the superstructure. Tactical length cells would largely fit the height of the hangar superstructure with only a small ~1.3 metre protrusion above.

Obviously an oversimplification of things, but It's the only location that I could possibly see even potentially working. With the intended addition of TLAM to Hobart's VLS, being able to free up even just 8 of the existing strike length cells would certainly have its benefits in maintaining the existing AAW missile load out.
Afraid not. Without going into the actual locations and uses, the area alongside and under the hangar area is packed out, and not with things that could be relocated. Not that there is a anywhere to relocate them too, anyway. So is the area surrounding the existing Mk 41. If you want to indulge in redesigns of the ships you are going to have to give something up.

Meriv

Some final comments before my self imposed holiday from this forum...

1) What's unrealistic about it....the French Navy no longer has anything larger than 76mm (though I will concede a carrier full of Rafales does provide a pretty effective alternative to the loss of effective NGS).

2) 5 inch friday....yes it happened.

Almost 50 years since the end of our involvement in the Vietnam War, over 20 years of recent wars and peacekeeping missions. And in that time ...1 Friday of NGS. 46 individual rounds in 50 years. And over that period, the RAN has generally maintained a dozen 4.5 or 5inch guns to provide that capability.

I know the same could be said of many latent capabilities in the RAN, and broader ADF, but the question I originally posed was essentially, is there a better use for the space and weight allocated to a large gun

3) Not concerned about the effectiveness of land based AShM and the threat they pose to ships on the gun line? Maybe we shouldn't be investing in them ourselves in that case.

4) At a max rate of fire of only 20rpm, suggesting the five inch gun has any realistic anti aircraft capability (unless guided mubitions are provided) in modern warfare is, optomistic at best and disingenuous at worst.
1- And by relying only on those assets they ended up like this:

They said that was to save civilians but we all know how dry European bomb stock ran during the Libian invasion.

Let's also remember that their deep strike in Syria last time failed.

2- Again Lybia.

Both French and Brits shelled over 500 rounds during 50 different missions over the Lybian coast. It doesn't sound irrelevant.

3- yes it is an increased risk but as many said not all objectives are on a well defended coast. And I would also add that if you are able to fire a deep strike missile probably the enemy will still have AShM in range of you. Yes the risk will be less thanks to the distance but it isn't a safe bet.

4- Guided munition are already developed the problem would be just adapting them from the 76mm in case of DART munition
A six years old video
Or you can use the HVP from the US. A type of munition that I would bring it over regardless (giving Army 155mm and others ability to intercept cruise missiles IMHO is quite relevant)

Pusser01

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
If the RAN is intending to max out the ANZAC Class with up to 24x Mk.41 VLS (assuming it can be done…) I can’t imagine it being content for long with a 32x cell VLS on a ship the size of a Hunter Class?
I stand corrected regarding my earlier post indicating that the VLS on the Anzacs could only take ESSM. I spoke to a former VLS maintainer we have on staff & he has confirmed that the VLS is the tactical length so in theory could take SM2. There is still space onboard for the 2nd VLS, whether there is the weight, that is for smarter people than I to work out. He did also confirm that Captain Matchbox is correct, as part of the original FFBNW plan, there was the space for a 8 cell self-defence length VLS on the now Harpoon/chaff deck below the bridge. It would have penetrated down into the current chart room. I personally think the option for this VLS has well & truly passed. Cheers.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I stand corrected regarding my earlier post indicating that the VLS on the Anzacs could only take ESSM. I spoke to a former VLS maintainer we have on staff & he has confirmed that the VLS is the tactical length so in theory could take SM2. There is still space onboard for the 2nd VLS, whether there is the weight, that is for smarter people than I to work out. He did also confirm that Captain Matchbox is correct, as part of the original FFBNW plan, there was the space for a 8 cell self-defence length VLS on the now Harpoon/chaff deck below the bridge. It would have penetrated down into the current chart room. I personally think the option for this VLS has well & truly passed. Cheers.
Having worked in a chart room in the MEAO, would gladly move it to somewhere cooler as inside compartment reach 35°C.

I have questions about the concrete bombs...so how much compared to normal munitions? Have they figured out the answer to the old question, why does a $1 Million dollar missle, launched from a $80 Million dollar plane, landing on a $10 tent make a whole lot of sense? If they launched concrete bombs in Afghanistan then im sure alot of that 3 Trillion dollar war might have been saved

Git_Kraken

1- And by relying only on those assets they ended up like this:

They said that was to save civilians but we all know how dry European bomb stock ran during the Libian invasion.
Concrete munitions commonly are training stock. A side effect of the war in Afghanistan was the discovery that training bombs were very good a dropping grape huts on insurgents and training ammunition at punching through mud walls when fired from a 25mm. Oh, and it's super cheap. I wouldn't read to much into the French using those, it's a pretty practical solution. Sometimes it's just best to drop a rock on someone's head.

@icelord see above. The disadvantage is that the kill radius is very very small. Which is also their advantage. Also really good at penetrating and damaging infrastructure/vehicles.

Last edited:

Meriv90

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Fair enough. Interesting times. I think L-M has discontinued the Mk.41 SDL anyway on top of all the other issues, though perhaps refurbished ones ‘could’ be found if we were absolutely adamant…

But I suspect you are correct and that time has passed. If they can manage to add the second VLS at the stern along with the new towed sonar and perhaps one day get around to deciding on a new ASM, I think the amazingly versatile ‘little‘ ANZAC’s would be very well equipped heading into their twilight years…

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know if there is any substantial physical / weight difference between ESSM and ESSM Block II? Or are they more or less the same, being able to mix and match perhaps with existing ESSM rounds?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Fair enough. Interesting times. I think L-M has discontinued the Mk.41 SDL anyway on top of all the other issues, though perhaps refurbished ones ‘could’ be found if we were absolutely adamant…

But I suspect you are correct and that time has passed. If they can manage to add the second VLS at the stern along with the new towed sonar and perhaps one day get around to deciding on a new ASM, I think the amazingly versatile ‘little‘ ANZAC’s would be very well equipped heading into their twilight years…
Yep LM discontinued the SDL in 2013 and replaced it with the Mk-56 VLS for ESSM and ExLS.

Git_Kraken

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know if there is any substantial physical / weight difference between ESSM and ESSM Block II? Or are they more or less the same, being able to mix and match perhaps with existing ESSM rounds?
There is a weight and shape difference. I don't think you quad pack with a mix. Unsure if they come from Raytheon that way or if the Ammo Dept packs them for install into a VLS.

1636378448164.png

Last edited:

Git_Kraken

Laser-guided is different than concrete. Concrete refers to the payload, not the guidance method. Bombs exist that are laser-guided with a concrete payload. Of course, there are also GPS-guided concrete bombs and dummy (unguided) concrete bombs.

It doesn't diminish your statement however, Europe's war stock was exposed by the Libyan campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.