Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
What's your take on Ludlam, if I can ask mate? From what I've read of him he seems well qualified for the top job, do you think he's a step toward rectifying the state of things at ASC?

Understand if you'd rather not comment, just curious.
I think he's an excellent choice. I just hope he has a purge and gets rid of some of the blockers.

Govt has also put in place a 3 Star to oversight ASC, he's a very very good operator and with a bit of luck can also influence change.

the first decision point is 2016, so they have time to clean the place out.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The small canteen inside gdn island sells decent food as well. so you can eat and watch when bored. :)

I was out at Potts a while back when they had a few come back from Talisman and there were probably 5-6 tied up.

V nice sight
charlies near the finger wharf is better!

Check it out now, most ships are doubled up with Tobruk at berth 5, then sexy FFGs:rolleyes: and Anzacs all way to LPAs at the end. will be like that for few more weeks with RAP. With FCP coming up at the start we should expect a very busy harbour Monday mornings as everyone heads out over 2 months.

The old HMAS Platypus,great to see the O Boats back then.

What about HMAS Penguine,could they base ships/subs there?
nope, no depth and lucky to get rhibs in there let alone a boat or ship, and same with Waterhen i believe, with little depth off the side, i might look into that when we get back from leave.

I do have a great photo from Freedom Of Entry this year when HMAS Farncomb was in harbour, they were already in harbour when the fleet got in so i got a great pic of them. ill upload at some other stage. seeing her in harbour did look very sweet.

t68

US companies looked at ASC approx 4 years ago, and looked again taking the AWD project into consideration for value for money

I take it from the above statement even with long term work building AWD and possible next gen frigate it is not value for money as a whole or in partnership?

With General Dynamics owning both Electric boat and Bath Iron Works could possible make ASC the premier ship building and repair facility in the southern hemisphere.

Say for instance that ASC was taken over what implications would that have on Tenix (BAE SYSTEMS).could Australia maintain two large privately owned shipbuilding and repair company’s?

Last edited by a moderator:

OpinionNoted

Banned Member
Hello everybody

Im wondering if the adf could benifit from sourcing equipment from all over the world instead of just the us and western europe?What are peoples thoughts on such an undertaking?

Could australia have a better leveraging tool if we could work all players against each other ?
We would be shopping from the americans.western europeans,russians,chinese,indians and anyone else who had stuff to seell.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Hello everybody

Im wondering if the adf could benifit from sourcing equipment from all over the world instead of just the us and western europe?What are peoples thoughts on such an undertaking?

Could australia have a better leveraging tool if we could work all players against each other ?
We would be shopping from the americans.western europeans,russians,chinese,indians and anyone else who had stuff to seell.
From a practical and realistic point of view, no.

For one thing, equipment from the US/Europe/NATO & allies tends to be designed to 'talk' with each other. There are NATO standard databuses, comm settings, parts and wiring requirements... In other words, a whole range of standards. Russia (and others) has their own standards which their equipment is compatible with. Work could be done to make Russian & US/Europe/NATO equipment to work together, but that is not cheap to do.

Additionally, having such different sources for items would vastly complicate logistics and make performing system updates and upgrades significantly more difficult.

Lastly, I see no advantage for Australia in attempting to play the great powers and other middle powers off against each other. Australia is a firm ally of the US, gaining the highest level of access the US gives to a foreign nation. For historical reasons and shared heritage, Australia is also an ally of the UK. Attempting to 'play' these to Australian allies off against each other, or against other vendors like Russia, China or India, would IMO just result in Australia getting less access to information, technology, programmes, etc than currently occurs. The situation would be somewhat different if Australia was a member of the Non-aligned Movement.

To my knowledge though, India is the only country which can claim to operate significant amounts of both Eastern & Western bloc equipment and do so successfully. India, being amongst the largest of the NAM member-states along with significant domestic defence industry, is able to achieve economies of scale that other nations are not.

In short, I believe that ADF would be worse off should it attempt to have significant levels of non-Western bloc (i.e. US/Europe/NATO...) equipment. There are a few pieces of kit which I do rather like , the Mi-26 'Halo' being one, and having some of these adapted to be interoperable could be beneficial. Otherwise though, the roles which need fufilling within the ADF are IMO better filled with Western equipment.

-Cheers

LancasterBomber

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
With what exactly? We dont have any real scale (occasionally we do but not often). It is scale (volume) that pushes suppliers around not the number of alternative suppliers you can showcase. Threatening traditional allied suppliers that if they dont give us a better deal we might go and buy something from China or India instead - we would hear them laughing at us in Washington from Bondi Beach.

To be fair though it depends on what you are talking about. Small ticket items are a different matter to highly sensitive strategic system platforms IMO.

IMO cohesion is key. Australia's national security (in terms of protecting our sovereignty) is fundamentally reliant upon allied support. Its a mammoth task in a geographic sense. Its easy to talk about capability x or y in peace time but its force interoperability and cohesion in war time that counts IMO. I would rather forgo a degree of tactical versatility in exchange for comprehensive force cohesion in wartime.

We dont want to make it more difficult than necessary for our allies to work in with us if or when we do need support in the defence of our sovereignty.

Then there is the issue of Australia's trustworthiness. If I am the USA and I see Australia shopping absolutely everywhere for defence tech (willy nilly) then I am forced to readjust my risk profile of that country.

Namely I will not be inclined to offer up for sale sensitive defence technology due to the potentiality of that technology being compromised.

Finally the other angle to play out is the domestic political prism through which all defence acquisitions must be seen. There is no magic money tree. We are playing with budget of the mum's and dad's of Australia (or the indebtedness of their grandchildren).

Any and all acquisitions must be palatable in a domestic political sense. International defence tech suppliers understand this (I assume).

Attempting to bluff them by suggesting we might find similar tech/better value from Russia/China/North Korea? would be about as successful as some of my tragic pick up lines at the pub on a friday night IMO.

Then finally, from my experience in commercial enterprise, chopping and changing suppliers in and of itself is a bloody nightmare. Again you are significantly increasing your project risk profile if you are constantly working with people you have never touched based with.

Anyway those are my initial thoughts on the matter. I also agree with the position taken by Todjaeger.

hairyman

The only items of equipment that we are not buying that I would consider under this premise, is the Su34, which to my mind is the best replacement for the F111 available, but since it is Russian, we wont have a bar of it, unfortunately. We already buy equipment from other countries beside the US, with the recent lease of the Heron from Israel, our european helcopters and tankers.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The only items of equipment that we are not buying that I would consider under this premise, is the Su34, which to my mind is the best replacement for the F111 available, but since it is Russian, we wont have a bar of it,
well, its not just because its "russian" that we don't get it. :)

minor point, the russians offered aust the original Su-34 concept for AIR 8000 in 1999, they also offered a partnered long range cruise missile to go with it. (which would have put them in breach of MTCR in real terms).

the Su-27's which were meant to come out as part of 99 Avalon couldn't meet airworthiness reqs and weren't allowed in country

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Missile Technology Control Regime.

Outlaws exporting any missile with a range of over 300 km and capable of carrying a warhead over 500 kg. A lot of more recent western exports have skirted these requirements, claiming these are for e.g. the mission range, not the total flight range, or equipping warheads just shy of the maximum requirement (495 kg for MEPHISTO...).

There has only been one sale in technical violation of MTCR terms - that is that of Trident IIs by the USA to the UK. One could claim the contract was signed before MTCR came into effect in 1987 though, although delivery was afterwards.

Last edited:

t68

I have found my answer to the above question.

Would mtcr also apply to the US imports of Tomahawk cruise missle as it is also capaable of carrying a nuke warhead?

t68

Thanks Kato

You must have posted while i was doing a liitle but of research and was typing away.

OpinionNoted

Banned Member
The only items of equipment that we are not buying that I would consider under this premise, is the Su34, which to my mind is the best replacement for the F111 available, but since it is Russian, we wont have a bar of it, unfortunately. We already buy equipment from other countries beside the US, with the recent lease of the Heron from Israel, our european helcopters and tankers.

Yes the SU34 is certainly a far ranging aircraft with a decent ordanace load.
Upon reading up on all that is available i too think the SU34 would have been a more capable F111 replacement.
You see my thinking is australia needs to evolve from the status quo relationships we have with our imilitary platform import partners.

Even though the cold war is over i think unfortunately there is still a buy from the traditional cold war ally mentality that still pervades australian politics and procurement.

I think that with ,chinese and indian economic ascendency we will definatley see a rapid closure of military tech capabilty so australia in the not to distant future will have no choice but to deversify her weapon procurement if she seeks to have the best that is available for export.

After all military tech is driven by and large by the amount of money you can invest in a programme and the chinese and indians will certainly be in a future position to outfund all other competing competitors military programmes.

Last edited:

T.C.P

the Chinese Jh-7 could also be a possible replacement. although its pat load is less than that of the Su-34 or the F-111.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
the Chinese Jh-7 could also be a possible replacement. although its pat load is less than that of the Su-34 or the F-111.
Great and all but, unless your going to start another aircraft carrier debate...lets keep the planes debate to the flyboys thread, and the pussers to the RAN thread:dance

A

Aussie Digger

F-111 has already been replaced by the Super Hornet end of story.

This is an Australian Navy thread. Please start discussing naval matters... Air Force threads exist for F-111 replacement discussions...

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
You see my thinking is australia needs to evolve from the status quo relationships we have with our imilitary platform import partners.

Even though the cold war is over i think unfortunately there is still a buy from the traditional cold war ally mentality that still pervades australian politics and procurement.

I think that with ,chinese and indian economic ascendency we will definatley see a rapid closure of military tech capabilty so australia in the not to distant future will have no choice but to deversify her weapon procurement if she seeks to have the best that is available for export.

After all military tech is driven by and large by the amount of money you can invest in a programme and the chinese and indians will certainly be in a future position to outfund all other competing competitors military programmes.
Actually, I do not see where your thinking is going. Or rather, I do not see why your thinking is headed in the direction it is, given the information available.

Broadly speaking, Western bloc equipment tends to use the same design architecture and standards, therefore pieces of Western kit work better together (and are easier to integrate, upgrade and maintain) than a hybrid piece of kit which is a mix of Eastern and Western bloc equipment. Had Australia started off with Eastern bloc equipment, the situation itself might be somewhat different. Then again, it might not, since if one looks at a number of former Warsaw Pact countries which are now members of NATO and the equipment they field.

The above paragraph relates discussion about the equipment ones own force would deploy with and how it interacts with other equipment the force would use. Another area that needs to be considered is how well ones equipment will operate with allies that a force would deploy alongside.

How useful would it be to coalition partners if an Anzac frigate stationed in the Persian Gulf operated Half Plate air search radars like found in service aboard Krivak I/Type 1135 frigates? If the Anzac still was equipped with Link 11 and/or Link 16, then it would still be of some use, being able to send & receive data to allied aircraft and vessels. OTOH if the combat data system and datalinks were of the sort used by Russia, then without some adaption the RAN Anzac would be essentially operating in a network separate from the rest of the coalition and therefore of only limited use.

In terms of the ADF operating with a holdover mentality from the Cold War with respect to equipment purchases, all I can say is, "what?!" Since this is a naval thread, let us examine the recent and upcoming purchases and additions to the RAN.

Given that the LHDs are most likely to enter service before the AWD, I will look at that first. Australia is set to have two Spanish designed and built LHDs enter service starting ~2012, to replace HMAS Tobruk and either Kanimbla or Manoora. Had Australia not chosen the Spanish design, other designs from the US, UK, France, the Netherlands, etc would had been chosen. Notice that all the nations listed are considered Western bloc? China, India and Russia do not have a design available that is able fufill the roles envisioned for the Canberra-class LHD. In fact, based upon recent news articles Russia is looking to license the Mistral LHD design from France for local production and use by the Russian Navy. This suggests to me that Eastern bloc nations do not have the design experience desired for such a craft and that it was a more efficient use of resources to purchase the type of design desired than to engage in domestic R&D sufficient to develop the required levels of experience.

Another design, this one already in service but recently upgraded, is the Collins-class diesel-electric submarine. Granted, the design had gone through some early troubles, at present it is one of the most dangerous conventional sub designs. The early troubles with bad welds, problems with flow noise, as well as an insufficient electronics system were overcome with developments done in Australia by Australian companies, or else with assistance from the US. At present the combat data system used aboard the RAN submarines is essentially the same as found aboard USN Virginia SSNs. The RAN went to the US for help with the problems the Collins were suffering for two reasons. The first is that the US has among the most, if not the most technology appropriate for the problems encountered and therefore able to help. The second reason is that because the US and Australia are on very good terms diplomatically, militarily, economically, etc the US would be willing to help Australia. In point of fact, that reason, that the US would be willing to assist Australia if a problem was encountered, is IMO of basically equal value to the idea that some of the best miltech is available from the US in terms of purchases. If Australia had instead licensed production of the Kilo-class from Russia, would Russia have assisted Australia in efforts at sig management? Would they have been able to? Would China? IMO they might not have been able to assist, and they would likely have not done so if they could without significant consideration/compensation.

Lastly, there is the upcoming Hobart-class AWD, based off a Spanish "frigate" design and using the US SPY-1D phased array radar and Aegis combat data system. While this is to my knowledge the oldest of the 'modern' area air defence systems, it is also the one which has had the most testing, operational experience and additional development done. The other similar type of radar and combat data systems which could have been selected for the AWD is the APAR, EMPAR, or Sampson. All of which are coincidentally European systems and thus also Western bloc.

The time may well come where Chinese and/or Indian systems reach technological parity with Western bloc equipment, they are certainly making advances from where they had been. However, they still have a great deal more ground to cover, as well as needing to develop doctrines to understand how some of the developments can best be applied. I do not foresee a change here to the level required for parity for close to a generation.

In short, for now, Western bloc equipment tends to provide the best overall performance capability and interoperability, while Eastern bloc equipment tends to be less expensive to acquire for a given capability.

-Cheers

I generally agree, I think compatability is an important issues as RAN ships often work with other Western Bloc formations. However there is an arguement for using cheap production facilities such as South Korea/India/China, but then there is an equally strong argument for employment in Australia and the strategic capability to build. I think the RAN often buys foreign kit from fairly varied sources (alright mainly Western at the moment) but wisely insists on construction at home.

However things are changing, so much software development is already done in India anyway and when I look at BrahMos this is probably up there with the best weapons of this type available a the moment. I do find it interesting that India/Russia have a completely commerical relationship and did have a serious falling out over the that reconditioned carrier.

I think the relationship with the US is also important, but I think this has more to do with the mutual value each parties see with each other, rather than slavishly buying US kit (which RAN doesn't do all the time anyway). The US can see the future and is forging close ties with India, if they wanted Aegis I suspect they would have got it.

BTW I also like the Kashtan system which would probabaly be nice bolt on.

Status
Not open for further replies.