Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

hauritz

Given yesterdays speculation as to which type of reactor will power the new sub. Rolls Royce share price rose last night after Aukus announcement. Maybe the markets know something we don't.

Regards
DD
Maybe Rolls Royce know something we don't.

As it turns out Australia has long been targeted by RR as a potential client for its small modular reactors.

In fact once the Australian public get over its phobia of nuclear power plants there is a huge market in Australia for this sort of reactor.

The American S9G reactor used in the Virginia class is designed specifically for submarines and uses weapons grade Highly Enriched Uranium fuel (HEU) while the commercial version of the RR reactors use Uranium Oxide UO2. I don't know whether or not the military version of the RR reactor is significantly different to their commercial version but if it isn't I can see why a UO2 fuelled reactor could be a more attractive option for the Australian government. Even more so if this reactor becomes widely used across Australia.

Redlands18

I watched Albo doing his press conference yesterday, he didn’t look like a happy camper at all.

It was funny how he gave bipartisan support to the Government without actually saying the word ‘yes’.

As for the ‘2040’ date, he said that in his press conference, I think that was pure politics, separates himself from something by setting a date way way into the future.

Cheers,
Morrison said that they hoped to start building the first Sub within the decade and completed towards the end of next decade.

jack412

OK that also fits the 2040 timeline, but has a sub in the water and fitted out in 2040.

Sorry, I know these are short posts. I don't have a formulated position to submit to the forum.

Boagrius

I watched Albo doing his press conference yesterday, he didn’t look like a happy camper at all.

It was funny how he gave bipartisan support to the Government without actually saying the word ‘yes’.

As for the ‘2040’ date, he said that in his press conference, I think that was pure politics, separates himself from something by setting a date way way into the future.

Cheers,
You'd hope so. Another 20 years is a long time to keep Collins running and relevant in our part of the world. The last of her kind will be positively geriatric by the time they're all divested(!).

hairyman

Getting back to names for the new subs. how about keeping with A and haveing the first and the class name either "Arnhem" or Arnhem Land", you cant have more Aussie than that?

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I posted at #29,772 the only sensible names for these vessels are after Melbourne Cup winners HMAS Makybe Diva, HMAS Think Big, HMAS Empire Rose, HMAS Let's Elope, HMAS What A Nuisance and of course HMAS Phar Lap. :D

If not name a champion racehorse to represent each State and Territory. Or starting from this next Melbourne Cup day name the horse after the winner!

Geddy

Its still amazing for this to have its roots going back so far and being kept under wraps for so long too.

Cheers,
What’s also interesting is the reporting about the German type 216 being considered. Anyone who’s thought about Australian subs for 5 minutes would understand that this was a ridiculous idea, but I wonder if there was a bit of misinformation thrown the journo’s way to take them off the scent of nuclear vessels?