Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boagrius

I just looked at Raytheon’s catalogue and it said PAC-3 MSE, so... ‍‍
Odd to see them "jointly" offer a product with LM. You'd have to think it is a fair chance to feature in the MR GBAD system at any rate. Time shall tell I guess...

Boagrius

I just looked at Raytheon’s catalogue and it said PAC-3 MSE, so... ‍‍
As if on cue...
The government has signed a $111 million sustainment contract with Raytheon Australia to support the jointly developed Raytheon-Kongsberg National Advanced Surface to Air Missile System (NASAMS).
This contract will support the new Short Range Ground Based Air Defence Capability, part of the Land 19 Phase 7B program.

The announcement builds on today's official opening of Raytheon Australia’s new Centre for Joint Integration in Mawson Lakes, SA, which was opened by Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

The Centre for Joint Integration has two main components: the Core Facility, which includes training and systems integration laboratory space and office accommodation; and the Integration Facility that includes the company’s first major production facility in Australia. This includes 6,500 square metres of light manufacturing, integration, depot repair and warehousing space. It will serve as the dedicated space to deliver Army’s short-range ground-based air defence program - Land 19 Phase 7B including assembly of components manufactured by local suppliers.

“In this facility, we will work with defence and industry in sophisticated systems integration laboratories, as well as experimentation areas and training rooms,” Raytheon Australia Managing Director Michael Ward said. “These spaces will ensure we can work with our customers and partners to deliver fully integrated sovereign capabilities and also train the workforce of the future.”

“The Centre for Joint Integration will contribute to the development of some of Australia’s most important defence capabilities,” Minister for Defence Peter Dutton said.

“It will serve as Raytheon’s main site for the manufacture, assembly and systems integration in Australia and will play a pivotal role in supporting and sustaining the new Short Range Ground Based Air Defence Capability.”

The Centre for Joint Integration will also be the primary support facility for the new air defence capability over its 20-year life. The $111 million support contract will provide the initial five years of sustainment, with an option to extend to the full 20 years.

Support activities for the new air defence capability will begin at the centre in 2022, in preparation for the NASAM’s introduction into service with Army in 2023.

Would gel rather well with a domestic AMRAAM-ER, ESSM Blk II, PAC3-MSE, SM-2, SM-6 (etc.) production capability... Watch this space indeed.

*Apologies mods, while this is probably more of an Army announcement, the timing vis a vis @ADMk2's earlier post in this thread is uncanny

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now it's like 1936 and trying to work out how we can possibly build the industrial capability we are going to need before we need it.
Yes. Its almost exactly like 1936. That is both disturbing and positive in the same sentence.

I wouldn't get too caught up on brands and companies, both are happy to work together in this space, and partner with others. But you need to think about who has the appropriate footprint here to expand and manage this. I think as long as its a US company, they can basically manage the rest of it.

I guess the real question is does Thales get a look in to this kind of arrangement. They actually have a lot of the current munitions and maintenance contracts (particularly for navy) for weapons.

Boagrius

This one came as a surprise to me as I thought the FFH's were maxed out on space and weight.

Really not sure how much more can be done with the class to keep them relevant. IIRC, AMCAP gives them the full set of GaN AESA arrays and ESSM BlkII is already in the pipeline. Swap Harpoon with NSM and throw in the new LWT and that's about a wrap I imagine...

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
This one came as a surprise to me as I thought the FFH's were maxed out on space and weight.

Really not sure how much more can be done with the class to keep them relevant. IIRC, AMCAP gives them the full set of GaN AESA arrays and ESSM BlkII is already in the pipeline. Swap Harpoon with NSM and throw in the new LWT and that's about a wrap I imagine...
The sonar will be fairly low down and maybe could even allow the removal of some ballast. Not sure of the arrangement aft in an ANZAC but it would definately be easier than adding more weight to a mast.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

The original design was FFBNW a towed sonar, so the ‘weight margin’ may well include such a system, were it to actually be fitted?

I am just amazed that our primary ASW frigate hasn’t been fitted with one before now...

Perhaps it is simply that technology has reached the point where it is now viable with the margin available on the class?

Boagrius

The original design was FFBNW a towed sonar, so the ‘weight margin’ may well include such a system, were it to actually be fitted?

I am just amazed that our primary ASW frigate hasn’t been fitted with one before now...

Perhaps it is simply that technology has reached the point where it is now viable with the margin available on the class?
Yes it would be interesting to find out as I was unaware that this was even a possibility. I have heard that the quality of the Sonar 2087 system slated for the Hunters was something of a selling point - perhaps it will find its way onto the Anzacs before their replacements arrive...

Stampede

Certainly good news and agree it's amazing the ANZAC's have not had this capability before.
Going from three to eleven ships with a towed sonar is a no brainer.
I wonder what the role out schedule will be.
Also will the ANZAC's require additional crew to maintain this capability or will it be absorbed within existing crew numbers?

Still like to find an additional one tonne of top weight to mount a single upgraded 25 to Mk 30-c Bushmaster for close in defence.
Phalanx may be a bridge too far above the hangar but this system would cover main roles a 50 Cal cannot perform.

At under 1000kgs I'd hope it is achievable, particularly in view as we are relying on this ship class out to the 2040's.

These two additions to the ANZAC's will make them a very well balanced unit for their size

Regards S

Todjaeger

Potstirrer

IIRC one of the early FFH's had been fitted with a TSA for a short period of time early on in the programme. I had formed the impression that it was done more as a 'proof of concept' than as an indicator that the ANZAC-class was to have a major ASW role. After all, they were only originally intended to be kitted out with the hull-mounted sonar and Mk 32 triple LWT launchers, plus the SH-2G(A) Super Seasprite with Penguin AShM to assist in the ASuW role. As such, the FFH as kitted out would have been of minimal use in ASW ops. Even with the S-70-B2 Seahawks, the ASW capabilities were somewhat lacking since they had sonobuoys, but lacked a dipping sonar.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
IIRC one of the early FFH's had been fitted with a TSA for a short period of time early on in the programme. I had formed the impression that it was done more as a 'proof of concept' than as an indicator that the ANZAC-class was to have a major ASW role. After all, they were only originally intended to be kitted out with the hull-mounted sonar and Mk 32 triple LWT launchers, plus the SH-2G(A) Super Seasprite with Penguin AShM to assist in the ASuW role. As such, the FFH as kitted out would have been of minimal use in ASW ops. Even with the S-70-B2 Seahawks, the ASW capabilities were somewhat lacking since they had sonobuoys, but lacked a dipping sonar.
We acquired 3 Kariwara TSA’s for the ANZACS initially with a plan to roll them out across the entire fleet. But financial pressures and a perceived reduced submarine threat put paid to that idea.

Obviously the submarine threat is not nearly so reduced, now...

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
"On 10 April 2021, the Royal Australian Navy welcomed into service HMAS Supply (II), the first of two new Supply Class Auxiliary Oiler Replenishment (AOR) ships. Supply and her sister ship NUSHIP Stalwart are part of the largest regeneration of the Royal Australian Navy since World War II. Their primary role is to provide logistics replenishment to naval combat units while underway at sea. Now commissioned, Supply will undergo her test and evaluation period where she will integrate into and begin supporting the fleet." Image source : ADF Image Library link :
20210410ran8562953_0027edit.jpg

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
2x 25mm Typhoon guns and a pair of Phalanx on HMAS Supply by the look of things (only 1x Phalanx installed at present).

Still no CIWS on the Canberra Class...

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
2x 25mm Typhoon guns and a pair of Phalanx on HMAS Supply by the look of things (only 1x Phalanx installed at present).
The Typhoons are installed already either side of the funnel. She's had them since arrival at FBE.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Fascinating that we appear to have gone back to something like the 1964-69 style of painting of pennant numbers for auxiliaries with a large A before the number, rather than the smaller A, P, GT, O or OR that we used in the 70-naughties period. I suppose it makes them consistent with the amphibs who always had a large L. I wonder if that was the reason; or something else. The logic for difference was that amphibs were combatants where tankers, droggies etc were not; maybe in this changed world that view also has changed.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Typhoons are installed already either side of the funnel. She's had them since arrival at FBE.
Yep, went and had a look over the weekend. Interesting the delays on the Canberra Class upgrades. Can’t help but think they’ve run into some design issues...

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
Yep, went and had a look over the weekend. Interesting the delays on the Canberra Class upgrades. Can’t help but think they’ve run into some design issues...
I am wondering if they are waiting for the modifications to the ex FFG mounts to be completed. Certainly seems to be taking an eternity!
Tas

Redlands18

Not sure whether the time frame for the upgrade has been posted here or not. Currently only 2 upgraded systems have been fitted, Sydney and Supply. 4 more systems should be back by now awaiting fitting and Hobart and Brisbane have non upgraded systems fitted, that should leave 4 currently being upgraded and 2 still to be sent to the US.

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
Not sure whether the time frame for the upgrade has been posted here or not. Currently only 2 upgraded systems have been fitted, Sydney and Supply. 4 more systems should be back by now awaiting fitting and Hobart and Brisbane have non upgraded systems fitted, that should leave 4 currently being upgraded and 2 still to be sent to the US.
Thanks for the link. There has certainly been a blowout in the original timeframe for this work. I noticed in one of the photos published by Defence Images re the commissioning of Supply that Choules (in the background) seems to be having some work on her forward of the bridge. Phalanx fitting perhaps?

Search: 20210410ran8562953_0027.jpg (navy.gov.au)

Tas

Status
Not open for further replies.