Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redlands18

This is what I posted at the time of the announcement (about three pages back):

* Continued investment in ESSM Blk2
* SM-2MR Blk IIIC - 150km range
* SM-6 Blk I - 240km range
* Anti Ship Missile - 370km range (LRASM?)
* Maritime Land Attack Missile - 1500km range (Tomahawk?)

It’s pretty reasonable to assume the 370km range missile is LRASM, it fits the reported range profile (LRASM also to be used by the RAAF).

I wouldn’t rule out NSM for selection in a future phase of the Maritime Guided Weapons project.

The RAN will operate three different types of SAMs, ESSM, SM-2 and SM-6, horses for courses.

It’s not unreasonable to assume they will also operate different types of AShM, VLS launched LRASM for long range heavy targets, and box launched NSM for shorter range lighter targets (NSM is probably more of a Harpoon replacement).

Cheers,
One question to ask though is what SSMs for the Anzacs? VLS-LRASM wont be of any use to them, Box Launch LRASM (still to be developed) may be out of the question due to the Anzacs top weight issues. Do they soldier into the mid to late 30s with Harpoons?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
One question to ask though is what SSMs for the Anzacs? VLS-LRASM wont be of any use to them, Box Launch LRASM (still to be developed) may be out of the question due to the Anzacs top weight issues. Do they soldier into the mid to late 30s with Harpoons?
They could replace the Harpoon with the NSM. I think it might be a bit lighter weight wise than Harpoon too. Just a suggestion only.

Depot Dog

Yes, and while it is true that the RAAF found Bullimore it's neither here nor there in the context of sailing in those latitudes and the capacity to actually pick dumb ar$es out of the roughers.

oldsig
I would like to pay tribute and appreciation to the people who risk everything to rescue these dumb ar$es. They are truly the brave.

Depot Dog

Since my last post I have done some research on RAN Hypersonic. Most papers I read from the RAN were about Hypersonic defence not offence. Whilst I advocate future technologies I acknowledge the west doesn't have an operational ship launched hypersonic missile ATM. So like the rail guns and lasers until we get it right Hypersonics remain a future possibility.

The article above reports that the USN aims to make this available on the Virginia Class submarines and the Zumwalt Class destroyers. Given the missile size, Arleigh Burkes will require a major refit. I remember reading that the Type 26 has extra power capacity deigned for laser defense when it becomes available. Given we are equipping the navy for a possible conflict with China Hypersonics would be good when available.

The current size of the Hypersonic missiles would require a different launcher. Without devolving nation secrets, has the Hunter class designers left capacity for future missiles like the Hypersonics which may have special requirements.

hauritz

Physics would seem to dictate that hypersonic weapons are a lot more effective launched from an aircraft rather than a ship. At this stage Australia mostly seems interested in air-launched Hypersonics.

Depot Dog

Thanks for the reply. The Russians 3M22 Zircon ship/submarine launched hypersonic missile. Australian Hifire research rockets were ground launched. We are developing a reusable hypersonic system to launch satellites from the earth to space. It would appear we are a leading nation in getting hypersonics from the ground. To me it is a small jump to transfer the launch pad from earth to ship. I do acknowledge there will probably be some technical problem integrating it onto a RAN ship.

The Hifire program has transformed into a ⁰joint Australian and US military project. The information on this program has gone quite. That is why I'm asking the questions here to further my unclassified knowledge.

DD

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Meanwhile, in the working Navy (Source: ADF Image Library image) : "HMAS Adelaide has arrived back in her homeport of Fleet Base East, Sydney, after supporting Operation Fiji Assist, on 2 February 2021. More than 600 Australian Defence Force (ADF) personnel embarked in HMAS Adelaide, supporting the Fiji Government’s response to Tropical Cyclone Yasa on Operation Fiji Assist. ADF elements worked with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade to support the Republic of Fiji Military Forces to provide assistance to thousands of Fijians, including many from remote islands, whose homes, schools and other local infrastructure were damaged or destroyed by the category 5 cyclone. HMAS Adelaide deployed on Operation Fiji Assist on 24 December 2020."
20210202ran8559105_0549edit.jpg

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Adelaide looking well used. She going to get a lot more use while Canberra is in dock.

Cyclone Lucas looks like hitting New Caledonia and Vanuatu. In a time where a lot of chaos and disorder and disharmony you can see the value of these types of activities.

BTW I think these Canberra class ships Crew + detached Army are doing a bang up job, particularly with countries like Fiji.
We turn up, its impressive, it fully self supporting, we can provide a massive range of capabilities. They create endless media and press in a good way.

On the actual mission
Showing how well Australian forces integrated and operate with Fijian civilian authorities and meeting their requirements and needs. Sitting off the islands and making as much potable water as the region needs with distribution and medical capabilities and everything else that is there as well. As with many disasters, its hard to predict what type and where the aid and support will be needed, with a Canberra, you get so much of everything and adaptability and flexibility.

Seven got some great footage of it coming into Sydney harbor, with Army/Navy standing side by side. The very essence of jointness.

Wouldn't be suprised if its a short stop before being called on for a busy season.

Stampede

Adelaide looking well used. She going to get a lot more use while Canberra is in dock.

Cyclone Lucas looks like hitting New Caledonia and Vanuatu. In a time where a lot of chaos and disorder and disharmony you can see the value of these types of activities.

BTW I think these Canberra class ships Crew + detached Army are doing a bang up job, particularly with countries like Fiji.
We turn up, its impressive, it fully self supporting, we can provide a massive range of capabilities. They create endless media and press in a good way.

On the actual mission
Showing how well Australian forces integrated and operate with Fijian civilian authorities and meeting their requirements and needs. Sitting off the islands and making as much potable water as the region needs with distribution and medical capabilities and everything else that is there as well. As with many disasters, its hard to predict what type and where the aid and support will be needed, with a Canberra, you get so much of everything and adaptability and flexibility.

Seven got some great footage of it coming into Sydney harbor, with Army/Navy standing side by side. The very essence of jointness.

Wouldn't be suprised if its a short stop before being called on for a busy season.
Intrigued

In the footage of HMAS Adelaide I noticed a structure behind the forward Starboard side Bushmaster 25mm.
About the same height if not taller than the cannon
It's in front of the flight deck and not something I have observed before.

Any ideals as to the feature.

Best viewed in the last part of the video

Regards S

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Intrigued
In the footage of HMAS Adelaide I noticed a structure behind the forward Starboard side Bushmaster 25mm.
About the same height if not taller than the cannon
It's in front of the flight deck and not something I have observed before.
Any ideals as to the feature.
Best viewed in the last part of the video
Regards S
Nulka launchers.

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
It was good to see HMAS Hobart back in her name city to act as Regatta flagship but disappointing that COVID made it a fleeting visit.

I have to admit I was disappointed at the state of her paintwork. I have never seen a RH Regatta flagship with her paintwork looking so much in need of attention.

Tas

HMAS Hobart at 2021 RHR 070221.JPG

Milne Bay

It was good to see HMAS Hobart back in her name city to act as Regatta flagship but disappointing that COVID made it a fleeting visit.

I have to admit I was disappointed at the state of her paintwork. I have never seen a RH Regatta flagship with her paintwork looking so much in need of attention.

Tas

View attachment 47986
A bit of that going around at the moment.
HMAS Adelaide back from Fiji was also sporting lots of ruststain.
Perhaps the new grey doesn't hide it so well as the old darker colour.
MB

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Tas

View attachment 47986
Yep it appears that the days of the seamans branch chipping and painting as preventative maintenance and keeping the ship tiddly are long gone. The results of outsourcing ships maintenance and OSH.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A day alongside is a day wasted. I'd rather see ships showing signs of heavy use than looking spick and span for a bunch of yachties. And not having to constantly worry about part of ship at sea frees you up for more pressing jobs. Different Navy guys. *dons pirate patch* "back in my day, arrrrrrrrrr" :p

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Accept that, but rust=corrosion, and it’s the ship’s side. The stand down only finished about three weeks ago, and presumably she was alongside the Island for that. If the ship’s company isn’t going to maintain the paintwork then presumably it’s supposed to be done by contract. So where was the SPO in the month or so she would have been alongside for Christmas?

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hobarts and the Canberra's see almost continuous usage. With only (now) 3 and 2 (now 1) it will always be that way. The Hobarts were pressed to do the aegis qualifications and the CEC stuff. Then there was pressure for all the other stuff. Hobart just came back from the Indian ocean, after visiting 11 countries.

Its not like they look like that after spending 12 months tied up at FBE.

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
A day alongside is a day wasted. I'd rather see ships showing signs of heavy use than looking spick and span for a bunch of yachties. And not having to constantly worry about part of ship at sea frees you up for more pressing jobs. Different Navy guys. *dons pirate patch* "back in my day, arrrrrrrrrr" :p
I accept that Hobart, along with her sisters and the LHDs, are being worked hard and I must say that despite the rust marks she was an impressive sight. On her first visit to Hobart in 2018 she looked spic and span but on this visit she had her full outfit of Harpoon cannisters fitted and, as a result, looked more purposeful and ready for action. Considering her heavy workload and the restrictions on crew caused by COVID I am pleased that she was even able to make the trip at all.

Having said that, the regatta flagship is seen by more than just a bunch of yachties. Since its founding the RAN has always given great support to the regatta and the presence of fleet units acts as an important recruiting drawcard in a city like Hobart. With this in mind appearance is important, especially so for the flagship. If maintenance once done by crew is now outsourced, possibly with good reason, it is important that the system still works.

Anyway just my opinion and yes it is a new navy. It can be hard for someone my age to accept change but I was still very proud to see this fine ship swinging from her anchor in my home city.

Tas

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I’ve never seen a JMSDF ship looking like sh..te and they have just as many pressing jobs. In fact of all the ships visiting Darwin for exercises the RAN regularly runs last on appearance, the passengers on my harbour cruise have many negative comments when they see the comparison.
It takes little effort to hit the sides with rust rinse when in port.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Well if you think Fleet is looking like shit, CN's email and the Minister's contact details are readily available, complain to them and they might be able to do something about it, as noone on an online forum can affect Fleet maintenance standards. Is anyone here up to speed on current corrosion prevention technology being used in the RAN ?

Status
Not open for further replies.