Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some more footage of the RIMPAC 2020 SINKEX

Interesting that I have only ever seen Harpoon used in sea-skimming mode for these things. I was under the impression it had a terminal pop-up maneuver at its disposal to evade point defences and/or penetrate through the bottom of the hull to induce flooding. Never seen it actually used though?
In some of the past RIMPAC SINKEXs, the first 2 Harpoon missiles hit too close to the water line and the other navies didn’t get a chance to shoot. I guess they changed the aim point to ensure that the Exocet being fired by KDB DARULEHSAN gets to hit and demonstrate its weapons effect.

Last edited:

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Does anyone know what the missile load out for the job arts might look like?
I realise that they have 48 cells of mk41.
Would a typical load out in wartime be something like 64 ESS and 32 SM2?

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Here is a company to keep an eye on, The Whiskey Project, in the same lines as CEA, founded by ex ADF and really starting to make some moves ! They are receiving support from a lot of politicians, the likes of Jim Molan, Linda Reynolds and Melissa Price among others.

They have recently acquired a local company (in my area) YWE, Yamba Welding and Engineering and also a well know NZ company Naiad Design !

Watch this space, these guys now very much have the design, manufacturing and support capability to do some very interesting things indeed.

Cheers

toryu

Here is a company to keep an eye on, The Whiskey Project, in the same lines as CEA, founded by ex ADF and really starting to make some moves !
I imagine you've probably already seen this but back in April DTR did a nice little spread on the Alpha 85 and mentions a family of craft based on the concept that might suit a range of upcoming requirements from the ADF.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Possibly an Interesting design for the autonomous requirements; not quite so sure about it as a seaboat. It looks like it might require more real estate than a RIB, the high gunwales don’t look ideal for pulling people out of the sea or doing boardings, and it would have to fit the weight limitations, amongst other things. Good to see an Aussie company Innovating though, and good luck to them.

Not sure why being operated by veterans is necessarily an advantage unless they are also experienced in the right areas - so having been a grunt, for example, might give you sensible ideas about rifle design, but not by itself that of ship’s boats!

Reactions: SMC

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I don't think they're targeting the RAN as a customer, reading the articles these seem to be more riverine type boats for use by Army/SF operators.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I don't think they're targeting the RAN as a customer, reading the articles these seem to be more riverine type boats for use by Army/SF operators.
Looking at both sites they appear to have capability for both and then some, I think with those in the articles above certainly for that riverine/Special ops, of which there is an upcoming army requirement, but they also build RHIB style boats as well.

Cheers

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Looking at both sites they appear to have capability for both and then some, I think with those in the articles above certainly for that riverine/Special ops, of which there is an upcoming army requirement, but they also build RHIB style boats as well.

Cheers
Yep Naiad have a really good name over here. When a colleague and I were look at at RHIBs and similar about 20 years ago to do some work in the surf zone out to about the 15 m isobath they were recommended to us by the surf clubs and Coast Guard. Good stable boats and used in the Marlborough Sounds as water taxis and work boats amongst other things.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This link from Defense-Aerospace (sourced from AFR) suggests up to a 2 year delay for the Hunter program. If true, it would seem to match Canada’s CSC timeframe somewhat (Canadian start even further down the road). This is why 2 more De Wolfe class ships are being built to keep Irving active. If Canada faces similar engineering delays it might be good for NZ. There would be a lot of incentive for Irving and the Canadian government to make a very good offer on a ninth De Wolfe.

Stampede

This link from Defense-Aerospace (sourced from AFR) suggests up to a 2 year delay for the Hunter program. If true, it would seem to match Canada’s CSC timeframe somewhat (Canadian start even further down the road). This is why 2 more De Wolfe class ships are being built to keep Irving active. If Canada faces similar engineering delays it might be good for NZ. There would be a lot of incentive for Irving and the Canadian government to make a very good offer on a ninth De Wolfe.
Would be nice to have some clarity on this development.

Suggest the Hobart and ANZAC class need to be supported by a true middle tier vessel that the Arafura Class unfortunately does not satisfy.
This will be prudent if the Hunter Class program slips in time table.

While "up gunning" the Arafura Class has been discussed at length to the frustration of many, there maybe another option.
With the recent Defence Strategic Review stating that up to eight vessels will be acquired in the mine counter measures role and that these may be based on the Arafura Class, then there lies the potential for up to 20 vessels of a common hull form.
Many will remember this is a similar number to what was proposed a decade ago as a class of ship to replace our existing patrol / mine warfare and survey force.

Suggest there is now an opportunity to split this build into a class of two.

The Arafura Class is based on the Lurssen OPV 80 which is similar to the Brunei Navy's Darussalam Class.
Lurssen also offer a range of larger OPV vessels and these may be of interest for the RAN to satisfy the needs of a more robust middle tier vessel.
A version of their OPV 90 should provide a vessel with a true helicopter capability complete with a dedicated hangar.
Being of larger size and weight additional sensors and weaponry could and should be added.
This is not meant to be a frigate substitute, but rather a vessel adequately equipped to fulfil the broad range of tasks required in between a OPV and your major fleet assets.
It would still have much commonality with the existing Arafura Class but just with "more Stuff."
As to the number mix, take your pick, but suggest this approach should be a quick solution to any slip in the HUNTER Class program and probably a much needed missing capability at any case within our existing fleet.

Thoughts

Regards S

Redlands18

Suggest the Hobart and ANZAC class need to be supported by a true middle tier vessel that the Arafura Class unfortunately does not satisfy.
So the Hunters are going to be 10,000t and 2 years late? According to AFR in 2 seperate stories in the last couple of months.

vonnoobie

Another Andrew Tillett article same guy who wrote semi scare piece earlier in regards to ship growth. He is a political commentator, not a defence expert so take his articles with a grain of salt that being said he is not as bad as most. When all said and done if a 2 year delay is all we are facing then not so bad at not bad enough to be rushing to buy interim ships or modify existing plans adding time, cost and risk to those. Means instead of 2027 for first ship commissioned we wait until 2029. Not ideal but not the end of the world.

Redlands18

Another Andrew Tillett article same guy who wrote semi scare piece earlier in regards to ship growth. He is a political commentator, not a defence expert so take his articles with a grain of salt that being said he is not as bad as most. When all said and done if a 2 year delay is all we are facing then not so bad at not bad enough to be rushing to buy interim ships or modify existing plans adding time, cost and risk to those. Means instead of 2027 for first ship commissioned we wait until 2029. Not ideal but not the end of the world.
And its not as if the Anzacs need replacing right now, they have been given a decent upgrade, to keep them survivable into the 2030s. The biggest problem for the RAN may be it will throw out the Planned out of service dates for the Anzacs.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

While "up gunning" the Arafura Class has been discussed at length to the frustration of many, there maybe another option.
With the recent Defence Strategic Review stating that up to eight vessels will be acquired in the mine counter measures role and that these may be based on the Arafura Class, then there lies the potential for up to 20 vessels of a common hull form.
Many will remember this is a similar number to what was proposed a decade ago as a class of ship to replace our existing patrol / mine warfare and survey force.

Suggest there is now an opportunity to split this build into a class of two.

The Arafura Class is based on the Lurssen OPV 80 which is similar to the Brunei Navy's Darussalam Class.
Lurssen also offer a range of larger OPV vessels and these may be of interest for the RAN to satisfy the needs of a more robust middle tier vessel.
A version of their OPV 90 should provide a vessel with a true helicopter capability complete with a dedicated hangar.
Being of larger size and weight additional sensors and weaponry could and should be added.
This is not meant to be a frigate substitute, but rather a vessel adequately equipped to fulfil the broad range of tasks required in between a OPV and your major fleet assets.
It would still have much commonality with the existing Arafura Class but just with "more Stuff."
As to the number mix, take your pick, but suggest this approach should be a quick solution to any slip in the HUNTER Class program and probably a much needed missing capability at any case within our existing fleet.

Thoughts

Regards S
There are some decidedly more warrie designs out there, the Gernman K130 and the Israeli SAAR 6 derived from it come to mind, Lussen is even part of those projects so could remain a partner in an RAN version.

Fit it with systems evolved from the various ANZAC upgrades and the RAN would have a very capable small combatant to support the majors and give some real teeth to the minors.

Fun fantasy, but short of immanent war I can't see it happening. The question remains, where is the money better spent, nice to have corvettes / light frigates or something else, i.e. additional DDG / FFG, perhaps even a light carrier or two. ;)

Richo99

..... suggest this approach should be a quick solution to any slip in the HUNTER Class program and probably a much needed missing capability at any case within our existing fleet.

Thoughts

Regards S
If keeping the fires burning at Osborne is the main concern with a slip in the Hunter program, an alternative to building additional corvettes etc, might be to renegotiate the contract with Henderson so that instead of constructing the last 10 Arafura OPVs, they get say the last 7, with 3 transferred back to Osborne, with both lines running concurrently for the next two years.

As a sweetener for Henderson, add 8 MCMV/Hydro versions of the Arafura to the end of their program.

This might mess a bit with the continuous build program for the minor war vessels, but equally, so does delaying the Hunters for two years for the majors....

Stampede

There are some decidedly more warrie designs out there, the Gernman K130 and the Israeli SAAR 6 derived from it come to mind, Lussen is even part of those projects so could remain a partner in an RAN version.

Fit it with systems evolved from the various ANZAC upgrades and the RAN would have a very capable small combatant to support the majors and give some real teeth to the minors.

Fun fantasy, but short of immanent war I can't see it happening. The question remains, where is the money better spent, nice to have corvettes / light frigates or something else, i.e. additional DDG / FFG, perhaps even a light carrier or two. ;)
A question of money and time.
Defence dollars can only be spent once, so what do you prioritise.
At this stage I'd balance that against time.
I have concerns of a fleet of 11 Destroyers / Frigates going into the late 2020's.
We have done the best we can with the ANZAC's and the Hobarts are impressive ships that will serve us well, but it is a numbers game.
We are not going to increase in numbers or capability either of these two classes of ships, other than their planned upgrades, so what's the best way to add fleet capability quickly and relatively cheaply?
The Arafura Class will provide some reprieve to the destroyer / frigate force in offering options to government the previous patrol boat classes could never do; mainly in their ability to conduct business at greater range and with true integral unmanned aviation assets. Unfortunately they should have being designed from the start to have offered a move robust capability.
A missed opportunity or still maybe not!
There are many designs out there in the Corvette / Light frigate realm, but again its a question of time and expense.
The only answer I can envisage is to keep it relatively simple with commonality of design of a larger class in the lurssen range offering the most prudent way forward.
An emphasis on ASW should be the priority.
Flight deck with Hangar for a Romeo helicopter.
Leonardo 40 mm canon ( Type C ) / 2 x 50 cal / 2 x Mk 32 Torpedo Launchers / Nulka and other decoy launchers / Towed Array and sensors to support all these systems.
This should be enough to sail into harms way under the protective umbrella of the majors and yet still be a useful contributor to the task force.
An asset not a liability that can still perform the constabulary role most of the time.

Is this the best vessel for the job.
maybe not, but it's about money and time.

And yes Volk give Navantia the order for another Canberra LHD and bring forward Choules replacement ASAP with those TWO Amphib / supply ship things.................. Build all three OS and give them the cheque. It will be a good deal for all and it want break the bank.

Could all be done before 2030 and guarantee they will be the most used bits of kit across the services within the ADF.

Regards S

Status
Not open for further replies.