Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Antipode

Thank you for your answer!

I ment a Marine Force then, thank you for clarification.

Spanish army is transforming most of its brigades to multirole profile as well. Estimated cost per brigade is set at around 1000 million USD. Wouldn't make sense to mess with this Beersheba plan just after implementing it I guess.

Thank you for this information! I will end this discussion here then, so sailors and soldiers don't get mixed.

Salud

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I hope it does not happen ... nobody needs that. The current build up by ASEAN nations in response to China’s approach and the economic response to China may cause them issues. It should at least give the cause to pause.
Looking through a western lens your statement would be logical and correct, however looking through a Chinese lens and more specifically the lens of the CCP, Central Military Commission and Politburo no, because it doesn't agree with their political construct of the situation and they would see it as politically and morally unacceptable to hesitate or pause.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Looking through a western lens your statement would be logical and correct, however looking through a Chinese lens and more specifically the lens of the CCP, Central Military Commission and Politburo no, because it doesn't agree with their political construct of the situation and they would see it as politically and morally unacceptable to hesitate or pause.
I would agree on the military front as they certainly appear emboldened. But they are being hurt economically at the moment and there is an active movement not to trade with China. It does appear they have gone too hard too early meaning there is active rearmament going on and cheapest is no longer suitable in a lot of cases.

The CCP cannot afford to destroy their economy .... or cause their middle class to see their situation dramatically deteriorate as this may cause them issues.

At the moment total debt is above 300% of GDP and China is pushing internal lending to bolster the economy. This could make it worse. There is also doubt about the value of assets that underpin the current value of the economy and finally China have burned a lot of foreign reserves on the belt and road initiatives.

If they had quietly continued the Belt and Road and basically taking over the economy’s of small nations and gone hard on the ‘forceful approach’ after 5 or so more years .... I think we would have all been in trouble. COVID-19 and their attitude has seen a very significant change of attitude toward China.

It is certainly an uncertain world.

We seem to be straying from the topic so I will desist from further comment here. The China Tread in Geostrategic issues appears to the best place to continue this if desired.

Last edited:

Stampede

Yes back to the warries. Liked this shot of the Air Farce turning up for a photo op, given the number of aircraft flying over the TG this was obviously taken on a weekday between 0900 - 1600. :D (Source : ADF Imagery Library)
View attachment 47519

Great to see HMAS Canberra carrying and launching these air defence assets in addition to the Tiger, Romeo and Taipan shown on the previous page ;)

Pathetic aviation jokes aside.

The composition and deployment of this five ship task force will I suspect be a common RAN formation in the years ahead.
A very impressive site.

Regards S

Redlands18

Great to see HMAS Canberra carrying and launching these air defence assets in addition to the Tiger, Romeo and Taipan shown on the previous page ;)

Pathetic aviation jokes aside.

The composition and deployment of this five ship task force will I suspect be a common RAN formation in the years ahead.
A very impressive site.

Regards S
With the increase in Battlefield Helicopters planned over the next few years, 16 SF Helos, 7 extra ARH and the Navy getting more Logistic Helicopters, either as a replacement for the MRH-90(go to Army) or as extra Birds. We may start seeing more and more deployments to the LHDs and for longer periods.
Lets be honest about it, the ADF has barely scratched the surface of the Aviation capabilities of the LHDs. I realise the Aviation side is a Crawl, Walk, Jog, Run process and we are probably just hitting the light Jog phase.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
SEA 1408 Ph2 has almost been completed with 6 of 8 Anzacs fitted with the Aust designed Broadband Sonar Advanced Processing System - BSAPS
The system uses the existing Spherion Hull mounted sonar and is fully integrated into 9LV CMS.
The main advantages of the new system are;
Significantly improved passive sonar performance,
Greater sonar integration into the CMS , and
Improved reliability

Upgraded frigate sonar rollout almost complete

DDG38

"HMA Ships Choules and Huon enter Port Vila Harbour to support the Republic of Vanuatu’s 40th Anniversary of Independence celebrations and deliver Australian-funded equipment to assist Tropical Cyclone Harold recovery efforts." (Source : ADF Imagery Library - Image Link). Short run to Vanuatu but due to COVID19 very little opportunities for a run ashore for ship's company. :(
20200728ran8440972_345edit.jpg

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
"HMA Ships Choules and Huon enter Port Vila Harbour to support the Republic of Vanuatu’s 40th Anniversary of Independence celebrations and deliver Australian-funded equipment to assist Tropical Cyclone Harold recovery efforts." (Source : ADF Imagery Library). Short run to Vanuatu but due to COVID19 very little opportunities for a run ashore for ship's company. :(
@DDG38 do you have a source for the photo? It's a requirement under the rules and protects both you and the forum against accusations of plagiarism. Rule #14 refers .

Sandhi Yudha

It will enter service with the RAN in 2022 at the earliest, but Navantia already started the initial sea trials with it.

It will not get CIWS or any other defence system but it will have useful capabilities.

Capacities
1,450 cubic metres of JP5 jet fuel
8,200 cubic metres of marine diesel fuel
1,400 cubic metres of fresh water
270 tonnes of ammunition
470 tonnes of provisions

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

That's NUSHIP Stalwart that will enter service in 2022, not NUSHIP Supply which should be in Australian waters by the end of the month or so.
Thank you for your correction.

"The ship has the status of "NUSHIP" until it is commissioned into the navy, at which time it will become "HMAS" – "

What is the meaning of "NUSHIP"? Is the "N" from Navantia or something?

DDG38

"The ship has the status of "NUSHIP" until it is commissioned into the navy, at which time it will become "HMAS" – "
Just the designator for a pre-commissioning unit, generally as the ship approaches initial acceptance and official commissioning into the fleet.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

The Royal Australian Navy call all their new ships "NUSHIP" from the day of their naming ceremony until they are commissioned into service. Once they are commissioned they then take the appellation "HMAS". Us Kiwis are more sensible, we just call our ships by their name until they are commissioned and then they have the "HMNZS" appellation attached.

Flexson

It will enter service with the RAN in 2022 at the earliest, but Navantia already started the initial sea trials with it.

It will not get CIWS or any other defence system but it will have useful capabilities.

Capacities
1,450 cubic metres of JP5 jet fuel
8,200 cubic metres of marine diesel fuel
1,400 cubic metres of fresh water
270 tonnes of ammunition
470 tonnes of provisions

2 x 25mm Typhoon Aft, 1 x 20mm Phalanx CIWS Aft, Nixie Towed Torpedo Decoy and 6 clusters of Chaff launchers (2 Aft, 4 Fwd) will be fitted during the Australian fit out period to take place in WA, where the ship is going on its arrival in Australia. A second 20mm Phalanx CIWS will be fitted for but not with Fwd.

Last edited:

hauritz

I have always been curious about that myself and despite intensive googling, I haven't been able to find the meaning behind the term. I don't know if it is some "gansta" spelling of "New Ship" or whether it is an acronym like "New Uncommissioned Ship".

spoz

The Bunker Group
It was developed in the 90s and was just supposed to designate the ship in signal corro before commissioning, as a PLA. It was never intended to be a word that passed into general use and came from”new ship”.