Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Discussion in 'Navy & Maritime' started by icelord, Feb 13, 2007.

Share This Page

1. 40 deg south

40 deg south Well-Known Member

Royal Australian Navy ranks grow by 1,000 personnel in less than two years | Jane's 360

Online forums obsess over equipment (I'm as guilty as anyone) but initiatives like this are far more important.

2. ASSAIL

ASSAIL Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

Thanks for the heads up.
    I was one of that DDG cohort of which DS mentions in his intro. I was a year behind him both in enlisting and in our respective PWO courses in the UK and subsequent exchange service, I also lived next door to him in Sydney.
    The DDGs opened our eyes, they were so far advanced from the old, their communications were better, their sensors, weapons, in fact their lethality so far surpassed anything we had before and yet there were downsides.
    Their accommodation and messes/mess decks were crap, they were no gin palaces and although there were many in the RAN who detested them because of this, there were those of us who wore it as a badge of honour, we knew we were a superior warship.
    Most of all their effect was to change the culture of the RAN. As Shackleton says, before the CFAs we were an adjunct, a minor sibling to the Royal Navy, after them we matured into an “Australian” navy with a more open and inquisitive view of things naval.
    It’s also true that the introduction and service of these ships coincided with the rapid decline of the RN, the withdrawal from East of Suez and the demise of the RN Far East Fleet and these events probably accelerated the change in culture and maturity of the RAN.
    Well done Dave Shackleton for writing this tome, I look forward to reading it in detail.