Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Discussion in 'Navy & Maritime' started by icelord, Feb 13, 2007.

Share This Page

1. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

Some of us Kiwi old salts have said that we'd sign up again, but with conditions: all night in (no night watches), afternoon nana naps, daily rum tot (must be West Indian). Think that was it.

spoz likes this.
  2. Stampede

Stampede Active Member

3. hauritz

hauritz Well-Known Member

It would be nice if the navy got a ship out of this that was actually useful.

The white paper actually identified a need for a logistic ship or AOR to be built towards the end of the next decade. The Pacific Support ship might be a chance for the navy to get both. They could get the Pacific Support Ship to perform double duty and also serve as a logistics ship and then buy a third AOR in the late 20s.

4. MickB

MickB Active Member

The conclusion I got from the article was that a number of modern LCH style ships would be more useful in supporting the pacific region than one large multi-role ship.

This will fill the gap between the LCMs and the big amphibs.

Of interest is who has the lead role in this program, ADF, DFAT or joint.
    Will the ships be armed as military auxilaries?
    Will the crews be service personnel, contractor or both?
    A lot of details still to be worked out.

My hope is when the money is allocated for this role that it given to the ADF (in addition to the defence budget) and they expand to include this tasking.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  5. spoz

spoz Active Member

Interesting article, although there were a couple of errors of fact. At least early in her life Tobruk quite regularly beached without tugs being in attendance, classification society rules don’t apply to ships under Naval Flag Authority regulation unless specifically called up, and in any case there are classification society rules which provide specifically for ships which are designed to regularly beach. And of course while it is true that there were originally 8 LCH, two were always dedicated to working in PNG, were gifted to PNG at independence, and are still operating there so far as I know, so they were never lost to the tasks for which they were acquired. These don’t detract from the “more hulls are likely to be better, and smaller hulls are easier to beach” argument but they are distracting.

6. FormerDirtDart

FormerDirtDart Member

I came to a similar conclusion as MickB. A certain paragraph at the end of the article, as well a certain prominent ad further back in the publication, made think of a certain direction that DTR might recommend in a future article.
    PSS article-Defence-Technology-Review-DTR-JUL-2019-Page-38-2019-07-06-05-07-46.png
    Stern Landing Vessel.png

The company from the ad has a decent video on the Stern Landing Vessek's capabilities. Pretty sure it's been posted before, likely in this thread. So, I'll just add a link
    Stern Landing Vessel (SLV) vs Conventional Landing Craft - Updated

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Xthenaki likes this.
  7. Stampede

Stampede Active Member

I think you may very well be correct.
    We'll just have to wait for the next instalment.
    Something small enough to independently land and extract itself form the beach.
    But also with the ability to transit the mainland coast and sail to our Island neighbours would be a good fit.
    Not sure what size and shape, such a craft looks like; but suggest three of such a vessel would certainly be more preferable than one much larger Pacific Support Ship.
    Maybe the Stern landing Vessel concept is the modern incarnation of the older LCH.

Regards S

8. 40 deg south

40 deg south Well-Known Member

Tasman likes this.
  9. vonnoobie

vonnoobie Active Member

Net Traveller: Stern Landing Vessels for Australian Military

Turns out the SLV was actually being put forward as a replacement for the LCH anyway back in 2011. No major specs but a few take away's is 65m long, 400 ton of cargo, 2000kw of power, 83T of fuel and 2,600nm range.

Another link I found, Can't believe it wasn't so long ago that companies still used power point -_- Sea Transports Solutions Stern Landing Vessels S.L.V. have carved a niche into the small ship market Looks like something I would have made up.. when I was 10.

At least we know got an idea of what was being offered. And with the LCH replacement not actually cancelled may be room to squeeze in a full half dozen SLV's. Get our LCH capability back and a ship much more suitable to supporting the various island nations in our sphere of influence. Would imagine thugh that having the vehicle deck enclosed even with out the helipad would be ideal as we do tend to use such craft/ships over long ranges. Depending on room available and how good the sea keeping is may be able to fit in accommodation for up to a platoon.

10. MickB

MickB Active Member

Different tone from the media about current port visit to Brisbane by USN.
    The jurnos must each have gotten the individual breifing from the PM that they seemed to feel was so lacking when the PLAN arrived.
    Not.

ngatimozart likes this.
  11. Systems Adict

Systems Adict Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

OPSSG likes this.
  12. alexsa

alexsa Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

This vessel is an idea pushed by STS, it does not mean it has been adopted. After all, what could go wrong with your stern and props in the sand with an incoming swell!!!

13. Massive

Massive Active Member

Tried to find examples where stern landing vessels are operated by other navies but couldn't find one.

Are there stern landing vessels in operation?

Thanks in advance,

Massive

14. CJR

CJR Member

Looks to be a few in civilian service (including one doing the Tas-Flinders Island run in Bass Strait).

15. alexsa

alexsa Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

There are a couple of commercial vessels with a similar configuration but they do not beach. Not sure if they have built one of these for real

16. Massive

Massive Active Member

Hopefully the RAN will leave this well and truly alone.

Regards,

Massive

King Wally likes this.
  17. buffy9

buffy9 Member

Has anyone heard anything about HMAS Hobart or HMAS Brisbane recently? Was looking to see if they are involved in TS19, but haven't found anything.

18. Mark_Evans

Mark_Evans New Member

19. StingrayOZ

StingrayOZ Well-Known Member

Yeh just read that, for a million they would be a good buy. Ideally 2.
    But I guess the idea is to build local..

20. ASSAIL

ASSAIL Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

I understand Brisbane is in the US for Aegis trials and Hobart is in or has just left FBE having completed SEA RELEASE 1, I guess to us oldies that means she’s just completed workup