Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Discussion in 'Navy & Maritime' started by icelord, Feb 13, 2007.

Share This Page

1. aussienscale

aussienscale Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

Yep, some pretty noticeable changes to the funnel's and mast. Mast changes would simply be for our specified kit and requirements, the funnel changes may possibly be for the same reasons on the AWD's ? To create a better wash for flight ops ? Speculation on my part

Cheers

2. aussienscale

Pretty simple reason for it actually, can't believe you guys have not picked it up ? It is on the transom so you know you are coming up behind the right ship when you fill up of course :)

Sorry had to be said !! :D

3. spoz

spoz Active Member

Could be. OTOH, Navantia tend to like to do things their own way, and the positioning of the pennant number on both bow and stern seems to be very close to that on Cantabria (ie the Spanish way, although in a different profile) and if the contract didn’t specifically state the required locations they may have just defaulted to that. We’ll have to wait and see.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  4. DaveS124

DaveS124 Active Member

Pic from RAN of CN placing a 'good luck' coin, ready for AOR-2 work to begin......... on Monday.

Re above, pretty sure that A195 was painted as per stipulated RAN specs.

Attached Files:

Jezza likes this.
  5. AndyinOz

AndyinOz New Member

I wondered about the painting of her pennant number on her transom. Fingers crossed that the future builds for the navy as a whole with the last Hobart class to come, Arafura-class kicking off and then with Hunter-class frigates and subs to follow that they go as smoothly as this appears to. found a video on YouTube of A195 Supply getting wet. Hope it's ok to share thought I noticed her number on her bow as well.

old faithful and Jezza like this.
  6. Stampede

Stampede Active Member

Nice Video

Interesting how high the ship sits out of the water.

S

7. oldsig127

oldsig127 Active Member

I would imagine that by the time she's completely fitted out the light load draught will be a good bit more.

oldsig

aussienscale likes this.
  8. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

She's a tad empty at the moment. No crew, stores, vittles, fuel etc., and still has to be fitted out.

9. hauritz

hauritz Well-Known Member

Will it be fitted out in Spain or are they bringing it to Australia for final fit out?

I note the British installed a lot of their own gear on their new tankers back in England.

10. oldsig127

oldsig127 Active Member

In Spain. The British added weapons and comms gear in their own yards. Not sure whether we do that with the RAN ships, but Navantia in any case is well familiar with pretty much all of it through the AWD project. Not really relevant though. Most ships are launched far from their completed state and a lot of installation of stuff like cabling is done alongside a fitting out wharf. That needs to be completed and the lengthy process of commissioning all the systems done before she goes anywhere

oldsig

11. alexsa

alexsa Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

There will be a fit out in Australia of systems. From memory the vessel is due to head home toward the end of 2019 .... I think. Will need to check.

oldsig127 likes this.
  12. Stampede

Stampede Active Member

Agree that this is the ships current role and there's a chance its all it will do.
    However the Canberra class will have many,many years of service, and as we know governments and defence needs change with circumstance.
    Therefore it would be folly to at least not acknowledge what other nations are doing regarding this capability.
    Will we get the F35B post the delivery of the last F35 A.
    I'd say most likely.
    Super Hornets look good in 2018 but an all 5th Gen fleet looks more appealing in 2028. Particularly when you can take it to sea.
    You can bet the governments direction in a decades time will be a lot different to that of today.
    It will need an Air Force that can match that expectation and a maritime Army that can get its feet wet.

Canbera class developement - Crawl,Walk, Run ,Fly.

Regards S

13. t68

t68 Well-Known Member

I agree that the LHD wont see a permanent rotation of F35B with a red Skippy, at the end of the day we have 2 vessels we be getting good availability from them now but as the age maintenance issues will increase and very rarely will we see to operating at the same time , one will be on call for HADR support during the wet season, if we need a ASW carrier then buy one we are not in the position of the USMC, the UK will be in the same sort of position putting all their eggs in one basket

14. aussienscale

I also believe we will eventually get the B's, I just firmly believe, in my opinion, that it will not come at the expense of the Canberra's.

If we move down that route, it would, and should be a dedicated platform fully fit for purpose, possibly with the Canberra's as back up/gap fill during maintenance periods etc.

AIR 600 2C could be a possibility for 28, and IIRC, there is another option post 2C for potentially another 50 airframes I think ?

I guess what I am trying to say is this "discussion" has already been going on for a decade, and most likely will be another decade before we get any closer, what is happening around our region, Japan, South Korea, maybe Singapore etc looking and getting B's, eventually we will become part of the club

Cheers

Tasman likes this.
  15. Meriv90

Meriv90 Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2018
    hauritz and seaspear like this.
  16. ngatimozart

@Meriv90 Can you provide a source for this please. Protects both you and the forum against allegations of plagiarism.

17. Meriv90

Meriv90 Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    ngatimozart likes this.
  18. ngatimozart

19. hauritz

hauritz Well-Known Member

The Hobart and Nansen class share the same lineage so I am sure that the RAN will be taking a great deal of interest in the final report. I was surprised to see that the ship was deliberately grounded only 10 minutes after the collision. Had they not been as close to shore as they were the ship would have likely sunk very quickly and could have quite possibly resulted in the loss of lives.

20. spoz

spoz Active Member

There are a number of changes in the DDGs which were designed to improve DC, and watertight integrity in particular. However, there is no doubt that the damage Helge Ingstad suffered, and its effects, will be studied with great interest.