Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Do RAN officers routinely keep a dress sword (and uniform, presumably) aboard ship during a 'normal' patrol?
The CO probably would take one on deployment as he would most likely have to attend various diplomatic and ceremonial functions but as flexon said the armoury would hold a number of swords and possibly a cutlass or two for non commissioned officers to use for ceremonial sunsets, guards when visiting foreign ports or they did 40 years ago in the dim dark past.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
http://www.australiandefence.co.au
Construction of the future HMAS Arafura began this morning, confused? she will get 11 Sisters built at Osborn & Henderson.
We are definitely seeing a major change in Australian Ship naming, I actually like it. They will spend much of their time off the Northern Coasts of Australia.
It’s difficult to see where the other names for the class will come from. Will there be a theme? If it’s seas it can’t be Timor or Coral, where are these twelve names coming from?
Maybe we’ll revert to the old A names?
Any theories anyone? I’m sure we won’t have to wait that long.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
http://www.australiandefence.co.au
Construction of the future HMAS Arafura began this morning, confused? she will get 11 Sisters built at Osborn & Henderson.
We are definitely seeing a major change in Australian Ship naming, I actually like it. They will spend much of their time off the Northern Coasts of Australia.
It’s difficult to see where the other names for the class will come from. Will there be a theme? If it’s seas it can’t be Timor or Coral, where are these twelve names coming from?
Maybe we’ll revert to the old A names? Or communities along the Arafura coast such as Nhulunbuy, Milingimbi, Maningrida, Minjilang?

Last edited:

Redlands18

Maybe we’ll revert to the old A names? Or communities along the Arafura coast such as Nhulunbuy, Milingimbi, Maningrida, Minjilang?
Major regions of Northern Australia where the ships will hang out maybe? Kimberley, Cape York, Carpentaria, Kakadu, Torres Straight, Ashmore Reef, though probably not a HMAS Christmas. Why not Coral Sea?

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Boy, max speed is only 20 knots. She is "slow". Wonder how she is ever going chase down high speed boats. Do they have to do that with the RHIBs?
No, publicly listed top speed is 20 knots. Actual capable speed ? well that is not something that gets put out in the public domain. I would feel pretty confident to say 26-27 ish

Cheers

Oberon

Why not Coral?

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
No, publicly listed top speed is 20 knots. Actual capable speed ? well that is not something that gets put out in the public domain. I would feel pretty confident to say 26-27 ish

Cheers
The German Braunschweig class are rated at about 26 knots on significantly less power though obviously Hull form would also have an impact.

I’m hoping that the RAN are not really replacing 25 Hulls with 12 as the class page on the RAN site suggests.

Stampede

Already has been.
Arafura Class OPV | Royal Australian Navy
If you look at the bottom image you will see a locker on the flight deck. That is about as close as you will come to a hanger.
A question about the OPV's sea boats.
Listed as 2 x 8.5m and 1 x 10.5 m boats. Are any such boats of this size currently in service with the RAN.
I don't see them listed on the Navy web site, just the RHIB 7.24 m and the GPIG.
I assume these boats may be a future addition.

Any assistance

Regards S

Richo99

Cheers

So assuming all ship builders, not just Lurrsen, are equally 'creative' and downplay their respective vessels top speed to the same extent, the new Arufuras are still comparatively slow.....

Status
Not open for further replies.