Not open for further replies.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Apparently the new OPVs will be equipped with Terma Scanter 6002 radar (apparently an X-Band radar). It is a good low cost, Air-Surface search radar. I wonder if a secondary navigation radar like the Sperry Marine Bridgemaster S-Band, or Kelvin Hughes Sharpeyes.

Australian SEA1180 OPVs to feature Terma’s air and surface surveillance radars
I’m guessing that the main reason for choosing this radar is because of ease of integration with Saab 9LV CMS as it’s been selected by Saab.
If they needed a secondary set, purely for redundancy, I’m sure any number of excellent commercial X and S band sets could be used without the need for integration.

Naval Radar Surveillance

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m guessing that the main reason for choosing this radar is because of ease of integration with Saab 9LV CMS as it’s been selected by Saab.
If they needed a secondary set, purely for redundancy, I’m sure any number of excellent commercial X and S band sets could be used without the need for integration.

Naval Radar Surveillance
It is a good radar. Its, or variations of it is fitted to many navy ships. The Iver Huitfeldt class, for example have them fitted. Its also on the UK Type 26 and the French Aircraft carrier CdG. (New Generation of Terma Radar Selected for Charles de Gaulle) Which is saying something because the french would normally choose something french.

I wouldn't be surprised if it end up on the Australian sea5000 ships. For a OPV, it would be at the higher end. It's selection seems to indicate the patrol ships continue to get a quality spec. Making the most of commonality between ships.

Just a shame there isn't a proper hanger to enable more regular embarking of larger manned aviation assets. Grumble Grumble.

But the more I hear about what is being spec'd the more I am impressed.

Redlands18

It is a good radar. Its, or variations of it is fitted to many navy ships. The Iver Huitfeldt class, for example have them fitted. Its also on the UK Type 26 and the French Aircraft carrier CdG. (New Generation of Terma Radar Selected for Charles de Gaulle) Which is saying something because the french would normally choose something french.

I wouldn't be surprised if it end up on the Australian sea5000 ships. For a OPV, it would be at the higher end. It's selection seems to indicate the patrol ships continue to get a quality spec. Making the most of commonality between ships.

Just a shame there isn't a proper hanger to enable more regular embarking of larger manned aviation assets. Grumble Grumble.

Allied with the SAAB 9LV CMS at least the OPVs should have a decent Situational Awareness.

hauritz

I think the future is unmanned vehicles anyway. The OPVs may well evolve into OCVs as the navy continues to acquire UAVs and UUVs. A lot of these systems will be platform agnostic so I imagine it would almost be as easy as dropping a container onto the flight deck. In fact when you look at the Fassmer and Lurssen designs side by side it looks like the Lurrsen has quite a bit more available flight deck space.

Redlands18

I think the future is unmanned vehicles anyway. The OPVs may well evolve into OCVs as the navy continues to acquire UAVs and UUVs. A lot of these systems will be platform agnostic so I imagine it would almost be as easy as dropping a container onto the flight deck. In fact when you look at the Fassmer and Lurssen designs side by side it looks like the Lurrsen has quite a bit more available flight deck space.
A modified 6m ISO Container with some insulation, Reverse Cycle AC and built in Storage for spare parts and Tools would probably do the trick for a S-100.

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
Thanks for the Pic
The first I've seen utilising all Six spots on the flight deck.

Things are taking shape.

Regards S
Canberra actually had 7 helos on her flight deck during the SEA Series exercises earlier this year (2 CH-47F, 4 army and 1 navy MRH-90). I believe this may be a record for the Aussie LHDs so far. It is pleasing to see Canberra, Adelaide and 2 RAR developing what is becoming a very good amphibious capability.

I agree with the comments by many others in this and the Australian Army thread that the ADF could definitely do with more helicopters for both land and sea based operations. It looks like the LHDs have now moved from crawl to walk but to get to the run stage where their full potential is reached they will need, IMO, to operate larger numbers of helicopters on a more regular basis. Whilst their primary role is to support the army for amphibious operations (and HADR to keep the media and pollies happy) I am certain we will eventually see the RAN exploit their potential in other areas like ASW. Of course this would mean that more MH-60Rs and/or future unmanned assets would need to be acquired.

The attached image of Canberra during Sea Explorer 2018 is from the Australian Government Defence Image Library:

Canberra Sea Series 2018.jpg

https://images.defence.gov.au/assets/archives/5003-All Defence Imagery/DefenceImagery/2018/S20181211/20180602USAF00000_001.jpg.info

Tas

Apologies for including the same image posted earlier by Assail (couldn't track it down when I was posting though I was certain I'd seen it recently!)... Senior moment!

Last edited:

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its higher res.

I can see 7 helicopters includes 2 chinooks.

Would love to see the ARG/Surge with two LHD's with 5 NH90's 2 chooks each..

A modified 6m ISO Container with some insulation, Reverse Cycle AC and built in Storage for spare parts and Tools would probably do the trick for a S-100.
I was thinking a hanger and deck chairs. No reason why you can't do your job in style. Maybe even a UAV control room with panoramic bubble..

But

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
And unlike the MH 90 you could then, at need, embark them in DDGs and FFHs. Plus you'd get the capability to employ ALMDS in the mine surveillance role. Plus much of the logistics would be common.
Ah huh, been a fan of the Sierra for a long time and believe it would be a very good fit for the ADF. Commonality with the in service Romeo, including fully marinisased, designed from the start for CSAR and special forces support missions, it even uses the same weapons as the Romeo and Tiger.

hauritz

That would depend on the actual dimensions of the aircraft and how many spots are unavailable on the LHD, along with price and reliability
I believe that they are aiming for the pricing to be closer to that of the Blackhawk than the V-22. If it goes into production and the price is right it would be a contender for replacing a number of different helicopter types in the Army and Navy.

Status
Not open for further replies.