Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redlands18

I'd see Arrowhead 140 as being a way better bet than Type 26 for the Kiwis, and quite a few other countries beside.
The Sub 5000t Frigate field is starting to get very crowded so you may have to work very hard for orders.
UK : Arrowhead 140
Italy : PPA
France : FTI
Germany : A200N
Spain/Norway : F312
Korea : Incheon class
Netherlands : Sigma family
Denmark : Iver Huitfeldt
All modern Modular designs.
Good Luck

hairyman

Are the T26 being built for the RN the same size as ours,8'800 tons, or are our ships larger?

And going back to the names, HMAS Australia was a cruiser, Melbourne was our last carrier.

76mmGuns

Are the T26 being built for the RN the same size as ours,8'800 tons, or are our ships larger?

And going back to the names, HMAS Australia was a cruiser, Melbourne was our last carrier.
Was wondering the same thing about the weight. What's making ours weigh 1800 tonnes more? It's certainly not the vls... The CGI suggests only 32.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Folks ..... seriously, We are trying to redesign the ships already.
Agree completely!! Anyway ........

Here's a page from the Navy website with some info:

Hunter Class FFG | Royal Australian Navy

And here's a two page PDF that goes into a fair bit of specification details:

http://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/Hunter_Class_Fact_Sheet.pdf

And no, it doesn't specifically mention the number of VLS cells (or in fact the number of AShM either).

But it would appear from the various models and renderings of the Hunter class that the number of VLS is 32 per ship (models/graphics that I've seen appear to show 4 rows of 8). Let's not forget that the primary role of these 9 FFGs is ASW, but of course with a strong AAW capability too.

Doing the maths across the 12 DDGs and FFGs, the RAN will have 432 VLS across those 12 platforms (3 x 48 DDGs, 9 x 32 FFGs).

That gives Navy the ability to mix and match to it's hearts content (depending on the weapons available in the future).

As an example, if each of those 12 ships had 8 VLS cells (96 cells) dedicated to quad pack ESSM, that is 384 ESSM.

That leaves 336 VLS available for SM-2, future SM-6 and possibly SM-3. And of course there is the possibility for other VLS weapons such as LRASM, T-LAM, VLS-ASROC, for example.

As far as the 'Advanced AShM' mentioned, that would possibly be NSM (or JSM).

Personally I don't think it gets much better for the RAN at the moment, good decision!

Cheers,

Last edited:

SpazSinbad

ON previous page just above the YouBendTub Video of the HUNTER there is a link to BrakeDaFence info such:
Eyeing China, Australia Busily Buys Up Frigates, Drones, and Sub-Hunting Planes
"...The new Hunter-class frigates will also be equipped with Australian-developed CEA phased-array radar, along with 24 missile cells, giving the ships some added punch on top of the three current Hobart-class destroyers, which are also outfitted with the Aegis platform, as well as 48-cell launch systems...."

Redlands18

Most sites i've seen give the Type 26 @ 8000+ tons @ 149x20m, which compared to a Burke 9000+tons at 154/155x19m, sounds about right. The 6900t may be the Light displacement, the 8800t full load displacement. They will be the largest RAN Surface Combatants since the Australia(2) other than the Carriers and LHDs.
Just to clarify things HMAS Australia(1) was a Battlecruiser, HMAS Australia(2) was a Cruiser, HMAS Australia(3) was the name given to the HMS Invincible when we were going to be buying her in 1981(sale revoked in 1982). So if that plan had stayed in place then we would have had an HMAS Australia as late as early this decade.

Redlands18

Going back to the IIP(Integrated Investment Program) released with the DWP in 2016 the break down of costs for the Frigates is
Design and Costruction 2018-2057 $30b
Weapons 2020-2044 $3-4b
And the other relevent project
Maritime Area Air Defence Weapons Program(shared with the Hobarts) 2025-2040 $3-4b

I'd see Arrowhead 140 as being a way better bet than Type 26 for the Kiwis, and quite a few other countries beside.

You might be able to get SDS length cells in there Not as many as MK41 is heavier but maybe a row of 8?

Might be a good place to park Nulka or whatever otherwise.
I believe you are correct about Arrowhead 140 for the Kiwis. I can't imagine the NZ public being too keen on Aegis, an 8800t frigate and there is also the cost.. The CN NZ said in an article that Sea Ceptor would be pulled through from their Anzacs for new build frigates, In saying that, I could speculate the Kiwis may be interested in two or three second hand RN Type 26 frigates if the UK Government were motivated to extend the build in the UK,

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
The officially released specs don't give any indication of how many cells the Hunter class will have. I would interpret that as them not being entirely sure themselves. Even some of the actual weapons these ships will be fitted with are just speculation at this point.

Are seaCeptor missiles necessarily out of the question for Australia?

It seems to me that they are a different class to the ESSM and could give the Hunter class that extra layer of air defence. It could be cheaper to just mount these missiles on the new frigates rather than having to deal with the engineering problems of fitting additional MK41 launchers.

They could also be ideal for other ships such as the LHDs.
Keep in mind that the RAN has released a factsheet for the Hunter-class FFG which does address some of these questions, and others have also likely been addressed by the RAN releasing CG renderings for the Type 26 for Australia. I also noted that someone else linked to the Factsheet again as well. Those who have not seen it, take a look as it is well worth considering.

With respect to seeing the Sea Ceptor in RAN service... while I do not consider it out of the question, I also do not consider it very likely. Both the current Sea Ceptor and ESSM (block I) are short to medium-ranged SAM systems, albeit currently at opposite ends of what might be considered the short to medium-ranged spectrum, with est. ranges for Sea Ceptor being ~25 km vs. ~50 km for ESSM. Assuming spiral development goes well for both missile families, their future capabilities in a number of areas should end up getting much closer to each other. Examples being the CAMM-ER version (CAMM being the base for current Sea Ceptor missiles) having a range projected out to ~45 km, and ESSM block II having a dual-mode seeker which can use an illuminator like the current ESSM, or an active radar homing seeker like is currently found in the CAMM/Sea Ceptor missiles amongst others.

From my POV, the Sea Ceptor currently has a couple of capability advantages over the ESSM, but these 'advantages' are fairly narrow and specific in scope. Specifically, they are the fact that a launching ship or vessel does not require an illuminator to guide the missile since it uses an active radar homing seeker, and that Sea Ceptor is a cold-launch (as opposed to hot launch like ESSM) missile, so a smaller VLS which does not necessarily need to be a permanent fixture aboard a vessel could be used.

Given that at present and for the foreseeable future all RAN frigates and destroyers will have permanently fitted VLS cells and radar illuminators, bringing the Sea Ceptor missile into RAN service would not provide such vessels with any particular capability boost, since such vessels can (or will be) able to utilize the ESSM which approximately twice the max range.

The areas where Sea Ceptor might (emphasis MIGHT) provide a capability boost within the RAN, would be if Sea Ceptor could be fitted aboard support vessels and minor warships which lack the space/weight to install either/both a radar illuminator and/or an appropriate VLS like Mk 41, Mk 48 or Mk 56. IMO it would be in these vessels which currently lack a missile for self-defence purposes that adding Sea Ceptor to the RAN inventory would make the most sense. I tend to agree with Alexsa though, in that if the RAN were to add another air defence missile to the inventory which was not a part of an existing missile family, it would most likely be the RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile usually referred to as RAM.

An area I tend to agree with others on though is the though that it would have been better if both the planned CIWS and small calibre guns to be fitted aboard the Hunter-class FFG were the 35 mm Rheinmetall Oerlikon Millennium Gun or Rheinmetall GDM-008, or failing that, the small calibre guns to be fitted be the same as will be fitted aboard the upcoming SEA 1180 vessels. I acknowledge that lacking the specific details about the small calibre guns selected for both vessels, it is possible that the desired mounting locations aboard the two classes might not have permitted the required space and weight for the mountings, but I do feel that some degree of rationalization needs to be done with regards to small calibre guns across the RAN fleet.

At present or in the expected future the RAN expects to operate the following small calibre guns/CIWS;
  • 25 mm M242 Bushmaster gun in a Rafael Typhoon mounting
  • 20 mm Vulcan Phalanx Mk 15 CIWS
  • 30 mm/75 Oerlikon KCB gun in an MSI DS 30B mounting
  • 30 mm gun and mounting for the upcoming Hunter-class FFG
  • 40 mm gun and mounting for the upcoming SEA 1180 vessels
As it stands now, that is at least four different planned sizes for ammunition (depending on whether the the 30 mm ammunition for the Hunter-class FFG is the same as the 30 mm ammunition for the Huon-class MHC) and a minimum of at least three different types of gun mountings and perhaps as many as five. What I would like to start seeing is both a bit more standardization across the fleet to permit operating a 'pool' of small calibre guns to ease logistical, support and training, as well as selecting small calibre guns that are suitable for engaging both fast surface craft and inbound sub/supersonic AShM at useful ranges.

Redlands18

Under the continuous build program the Hobart replacement is due for laying down in 2038, the final Type 26 due for completion in 2042, Perth due to decommision late 30s, so we are only going to have 2 streams from the end of the FFG training till the start of the Hunter class Training, and the same for the Anzacs to the Hobart replacement. so 3 streams are going to be a fact of life for most of the next 25 years at least.except for short periods.

Redlands18

Keep in mind that the RAN has released a factsheet for the Hunter-class FFG which does address some of these questions, and others have also likely been addressed by the RAN releasing CG renderings for the Type 26 for Australia. I also noted that someone else linked to the Factsheet again as well. Those who have not seen it, take a look as it is well worth considering.

With respect to seeing the Sea Ceptor in RAN service... while I do not consider it out of the question, I also do not consider it very likely. Both the current Sea Ceptor and ESSM (block I) are short to medium-ranged SAM systems, albeit currently at opposite ends of what might be considered the short to medium-ranged spectrum, with est. ranges for Sea Ceptor being ~25 km vs. ~50 km for ESSM. Assuming spiral development goes well for both missile families, their future capabilities in a number of areas should end up getting much closer to each other. Examples being the CAMM-ER version (CAMM being the base for current Sea Ceptor missiles) having a range projected out to ~45 km, and ESSM block II having a dual-mode seeker which can use an illuminator like the current ESSM, or an active radar homing seeker like is currently found in the CAMM/Sea Ceptor missiles amongst others.

From my POV, the Sea Ceptor currently has a couple of capability advantages over the ESSM, but these 'advantages' are fairly narrow and specific in scope. Specifically, they are the fact that a launching ship or vessel does not require an illuminator to guide the missile since it uses an active radar homing seeker, and that Sea Ceptor is a cold-launch (as opposed to hot launch like ESSM) missile, so a smaller VLS which does not necessarily need to be a permanent fixture aboard a vessel could be used.

Given that at present and for the foreseeable future all RAN frigates and destroyers will have permanently fitted VLS cells and radar illuminators, bringing the Sea Ceptor missile into RAN service would not provide such vessels with any particular capability boost, since such vessels can (or will be) able to utilize the ESSM which approximately twice the max range.

The areas where Sea Ceptor might (emphasis MIGHT) provide a capability boost within the RAN, would be if Sea Ceptor could be fitted aboard support vessels and minor warships which lack the space/weight to install either/both a radar illuminator and/or an appropriate VLS like Mk 41, Mk 48 or Mk 56. IMO it would be in these vessels which currently lack a missile for self-defence purposes that adding Sea Ceptor to the RAN inventory would make the most sense. I tend to agree with Alexsa though, in that if the RAN were to add another air defence missile to the inventory which was not a part of an existing missile family, it would most likely be the RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile usually referred to as RAM.

An area I tend to agree with others on though is the though that it would have been better if both the planned CIWS and small calibre guns to be fitted aboard the Hunter-class FFG were the 35 mm Rheinmetall Oerlikon Millennium Gun or Rheinmetall GDM-008, or failing that, the small calibre guns to be fitted be the same as will be fitted aboard the upcoming SEA 1180 vessels. I acknowledge that lacking the specific details about the small calibre guns selected for both vessels, it is possible that the desired mounting locations aboard the two classes might not have permitted the required space and weight for the mountings, but I do feel that some degree of rationalization needs to be done with regards to small calibre guns across the RAN fleet.

At present or in the expected future the RAN expects to operate the following small calibre guns/CIWS;
As it stands now, that is at least four different planned sizes for ammunition (depending on whether the the 30 mm ammunition for the Hunter-class FFG is the same as the 30 mm ammunition for the Huon-class MHC) and a minimum of at least three different types of gun mountings and perhaps as many as five. What I would like to start seeing is both a bit more standardization across the fleet to permit operating a 'pool' of small calibre guns to ease logistical, support and training, as well as selecting small calibre guns that are suitable for engaging both fast surface craft and inbound sub/supersonic AShM at useful ranges.
The 30mm will match the Gun size for the Armys new IFVs, so that is probably why we are going with that size. The 25mm could possibly be replaced by the 30mm across the Fleet at a later date.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The only possible downside I see is the difference in all the very ordinary equipment that make up the daily routine in the ships, damage control equipment, platform management systems deign philosophy for watertight integrity etc.....ad nauseum.
I don’t think this is huge or insurmountable issue but it once again divides the seagoing ships into separate streams, Spanish and Brit.
Let’s hope that many of those differences can be nullified during the Australian build and that we can make them as similar as possible
Chris,

The difference is no greater than that between the Darings/T12s and the old DDGs/FFGs, and we managed that successfully for 30 years or so. The current DDGs are very close to the USN in approach, and we have found the troops have adapted easily to the few minor diffeences, such as the frame numbering starting from stern rather than bow. While there’s not an awful lot of us left from the when the RN system was nearly universal in the RAN, it’s still in all the basic books, and Choules runs it of course. I reckon it will be an almost trivial issue.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
The 30mm will match the Gun size for the Armys new IFVs, so that is probably why we are going with that size. The 25mm could possibly be replaced by the 30mm across the Fleet at a later date.
The round diameter will be the same, but it remains to be seen whether or not anything else will be the same as what Army will be kitted with.

As I understand it, Army will be kitted with the Rheinmetall Defence MK30-2/ABM gun which fires the 30 mm x 173 round. I have come across differing ROF's listed for this particular gun, and it might depend on what turret, chassis or mounting is used, but I have seen 200 rpm, 600 rpm, and 700 rpm, which from what I can tell do not take into account the limit of 200 rounds available in the various turrets listed.

If the RAN gets the same gun and in one of the higher ROF configurations and with an appropriate mounting, then such a gun system could be effective as a dual-use anti-smallcraft and anti-missile CIWS, particularly using airburst or AHEAD ammunition. IMO it would not be quite as capable as the Rhenmetall Defence 35 mm x 228 KDG gun with a ROF of 1,000 rpm (again, not including limited ammunition) which is used in the Millennium Gun with AHEAD ammunition, but far better than the Mk 44 Bushmaster II 30 mm gun which could be what is intended for the Hunter-class and/or as a gun upgrade option for the Rafael Typhoon mountings which are currently fitted with the M242 Bushmaster 25 mm gun.

From my perspective it would be more effective and important to establish small calibre gun commonality across RAN vessels, than between some RAN vessels and Army vehicles, given that Army does not have any SPAAG's. Both the types of targets and the environments in which those targets would be engaged are IMO far enough apart that what might make a particular gun or round effective for Army use could compromise it in RAN service, and vice versa.

Two other related thoughts are that it has already been announced that the SEA 1180 vessels will be fitted with a 40 mm gun of some sort, so we know that there is already calibre divergence planned for RAN vessels. The other is that with the Hunter-class to be kitted with pairs of both 20 mm CIWS (presumably Mk 15 Phalanx) and 30 mm small calibre guns, that would seem to suggest that the 30 mm guns are not intended or expected to provide a CIWS capability. If it were possible, I would prefer both pairs of guns provide a CIWS capability against fast surface craft, aircraft, and AShM. To my thinking, four 30 mm, 35 mm or 40 mm rapid fire guns with 2+ km effective ranges using advanced munitions effective against both surface and aerial targets would be both preferable and more effective than what the current arrangement seems to be since the 20 mm Mk 15 Phalanx CIWS has a max effective range of ~1.5 km IIRC.

Boagrius

I find the persistence with Phalanx puzzling to be honest. It strikes me as a weapon that must be fast approaching obsolescence (if it hasn't already done so). Perhaps the powers that be are anticipating a fleet-wide CIWS overhaul at some future date and are content to maintain the "plug and play" pool of Phalanx systems until then.

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Two other related thoughts are that it has already been announced that the SEA 1180 vessels will be fitted with a 40 mm gun of some sort, so we know that there is already calibre divergence planned for RAN vessels. The other is that with the Hunter-class to be kitted with pairs of both 20 mm CIWS (presumably Mk 15 Phalanx) and 30 mm small calibre guns, that would seem to suggest that the 30 mm guns are not intended or expected to provide a CIWS capability. If it were possible, I would prefer both pairs of guns provide a CIWS capability against fast surface craft, aircraft, and AShM. To my thinking, four 30 mm, 35 mm or 40 mm rapid fire guns with 2+ km effective ranges using advanced munitions effective against both surface and aerial targets would be both preferable and more effective than what the current arrangement seems to be since the 20 mm Mk 15 Phalanx CIWS has a max effective range of ~1.5 km IIRC.
The 30mm Bushmaster, dependant on the mounting, magazine size (on the gun) & Rate of Fire (ROF), COULD be used as a form of CIWS, but nothing compares to Phalanx / Goalkeeper in that field

As the Hunter class is based off of T26, it is logical to assume similar role functionality, so Phalanx is obviously for anti-missile / aircraft CIWS protection & 30mm is for surface & anti-air protection. Again dependant on the command system, radar/EO configuration & a few other more technical details, the 30mm mounts can be a potent weapon in medium to short range ship protection. Having seen the DS30M mount set up to take out towed air targets at between 3 - 1.5Km, I know a single 30mm round can ruin your day...

USA 30 mm (1.2") Bushmaster II Mark 46 Mod 1 and 40 mm (1.57") Bushmaster II - NavWeaps

Joe Black

My sentiment is exactly the same as yours. I think it is about time RAN consider refreshing the CIWS weapons and standardising the calibre on most ships. The Rhienmetall 35mm Millennium gun with the AHEAD round is arguably the most advanced and capable CIWS available today. The Australian army could also be enticed with a land version (Skyshield Air defence system) mounted on the Boxer platform to perform mobile air defence.
See: Defence Technology Review : DTR JUN 2018, Page 1

I definitely feel that it is about time RAN should give considerations for renewing the close-in air defence capability of tier 1 naval assets and start replacing them with either the Millennium gun or SeaRAM.

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I find the persistence with Phalanx puzzling to be honest. It strikes me as a weapon that must be fast approaching obsolescence (if it hasn't already done so). Perhaps the powers that be are anticipating a fleet-wide CIWS overhaul at some future date and are content to maintain the "plug and play" pool of Phalanx systems until then.
In Naval technology, the adage "If it aint broke, don't fix it " is often carried as a chant by Navies, as well as the equipment manufacturers. This common sense approach means that weapons like Phalanx can be operated for periods of 30+ years & to be honest, it makes sense.

Purchase costs, maintenance costs, training of crews, spares are all key to this. If governments opted to change out equipment for 'the next newest/best thing', countries would soon become bankrupt, as technology development appears to be running at a pace not seen in humankind's lifetime.

So, a navy planning to purchase hardware / equipment like Phalanx, operating it across their fleet, moving mounts from class to class (dependant on operational need / replacement of vessel classes) means that overall costs are reduced.

In the meantime the Equipment suppliers have a 'known quantity' as the hardware remains, so they concentrate on the software, or specific sensor developments, to improve range/accuracy/ability to operate in different conditions/modes. This is where the technology changes & actually makes an old weapon a 'new' weapon. Examples of this might be the UK's 4,5" gun which was based off of 1950's technology, but will still be on warships into the 2020's.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
With the Block 1B "upgrade" (using the term loosely...) which provided an anti-surface or smallcraft capability to the venerable Phalanx, it struck me that that specific development and re-role of the CIWS seemed more about trying to keep the Mk 15 at least somewhat useful and relevant. The present reality would seem to suggest that the smaller 20 mm rounds and their comparatively limited effective range makes the Mk 15 less effective as a CIWS vs. aerial threats when compared to newer gun/mounting and munitions options. From what I recall of the developmental history of the Millennium Gun as example, the USN provided some funding as it was looking for options to extend the CIWS engagement envelope out past what the Mk 15 could effectively do, given the spread of AShM, and particularly those with a terminal phase supersonic sprint capability.

I remember doing a breakdown some months back, right after the SEA 1180 decision was announced, listing some of the various options available for small or medium calibre naval guns/mountings with their listed effective ranges as well as both the weight of shot and number of projectiles/sub-munitions which could be fired before the ready ammo was exhausted. I will see if I can relocate that post or series of posts.

With respect to a gun like the Mk 44 Bushmaster II firing a 30 mm x 173 round, there is no doubt in my mind that any smallcraft, aircraft, or AShM would be impacted (sorry, could not resist the pun here) if struck by such a projectile. Where I have my doubts is whether the published 250 rpm volume of fire would be sufficient for the gun to score hits on an aerial target like an AShM. Some of the advanced munitions now available like AHEAD help increase the odds of scoring hits by bursting into 'clouds' of sub-projectiles, but even still most of the guns which are designed to provide an AAA capability have significantly faster rates of fire, and many/most of those now intended for naval
service are dual surface/aerial target capable.

EDIT: Found the posts I had done back in early December, 2017 which discussed small calibre guns for the RAN in light of the SEA 1180 decision and apparent selection of the Bofors Mk 4 40 mm/70 gun.

Links are oldest to newest as follows:

Last edited:

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
With respect to a gun like the Mk 44 Bushmaster II firing a 30 mm x 173 round, there is no doubt in my mind that any smallcraft, aircraft, or AShM would be impacted (sorry, could not resist the pun here) if struck by such a projectile. Where I have my doubts is whether the published 250 rpm volume of fire would be sufficient for the gun to score hits on an aerial target like an AShM. Some of the advanced munitions now available like AHEAD help increase the odds of scoring hits by bursting into 'clouds' of sub-projectiles, but even still most of the guns which are designed to provide an AAA capability have significantly faster rates of fire, and many/most of those now intended for naval service are dual surface/aerial target capable.
I appreciate your concerns & the fact that navies are still looking at Phalanx / goalkeeper as their last line of defence says a lot.

The sheer amount of computational power needed to calculate wind velocities, wind direction, humidity, air temperature, ships course, ships speed, ships pitch. ships roll, gun rate of fire, expected velocity of the round, distance to target, speed of target, direction of target & a million other inconsequential factors that have to be looked at & analysed, in the split second before firing & during the gap between each round makes my brain melt !
Therefore managing to get a 30mm gun to put x3 rounds on a 30m long target, travelling at 600 knots, 3 km from the ship, is no easy feat.
I know that it's not impossible & with the right software / newer designed munitions such as the 30mm PELE round & a smidgen of luck, it can happen.

http://www.angelopodesta.com/documenti/30mm_x_173_PELE-T_PMC_381.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.