Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

pussertas

If I remember correctly the RAN was to sell two outmoded destroyers to the Polish Navy.

Has anything happened regarding this?

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Still on going as of April.
Adelaide class frigates sale discussions ongoing - Defence Connect

Not straight forward as attached to a sale of 700 protected mobility vehicles. Hawkies and maybe bushmasters.
Mammoth European export of Hawkei on the cards - Defence Connect

Poland might also be interested in some other bits and pieces of the ADF as well, as we migrate to newer platforms.
I just noticed in a related article in the link you posted that Senator Rex Patrick makes a lot of noise for such a mediocre performer.
Apparently all the ASC shipbuilders at Osborne will lose their jobs to foreign workers, what a load of rubbish.
This guy has become a real pain in the nether regions.

Liberals slammed on shipbuilding in letter to Pyne’s electorate - Defence Connect

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just noticed in a related article in the link you posted that Senator Rex Patrick makes a lot of noise for such a mediocre performer.
Apparently all the ASC shipbuilders at Osborne will lose their jobs to foreign workers, what a load of rubbish.
This guy has become a real pain in the nether regions.

Liberals slammed on shipbuilding in letter to Pyne’s electorate - Defence Connect
Rex is crazy.

Catching up with old o-boats have various opinions. He has a history of being anti-Australian build anything. One of the biggest agitators about Collins.
Nocookies
He will resurface to derail the entire sea1000 project.

pussertas

lisa odongo

An MU90 variant is advertised as having a hard kill torpedo defense option...but they have not yet claimed a successful operational test, though supposedly the theoretical capability is available. The challenge would be integrating it into the existing underwater system software (cueing the countermeasure to the detected torpedo in a way where you can get a reasonable chance of successful kill).

For the USN, there has been limited deployment of a hard kill option starting on CVNs. Not sure how much wider it's gotten.
It's not advertised as a LWT (ie not given an ASW or ASuW mission), but in form and deployment method, it's essentially a LWT.
Navy Develops Torpedo Killing Torpedo - USNI News
Physics wise to achieve hardkill u need a significant speed advantage which is why MU 90 is the only reasonable candidate in the west

MickB

Still on going as of April.
Adelaide class frigates sale discussions ongoing - Defence Connect

Not straight forward as attached to a sale of 700 protected mobility vehicles. Hawkies and maybe bushmasters.
Mammoth European export of Hawkei on the cards - Defence Connect

Poland might also be interested in some other bits and pieces of the ADF as well, as we migrate to newer platforms.
As a value add, offer the ASMD upgrade on the two Adelaide class ships. This could then also be fitted to Poland's Perry class ships.
This would be a large step towards the modernisation that the Polish Navy desires.
This commonality of systems could lead in to the sale of the Anzacs as they retire.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
From an engineering and systems integration perspective, I doubt applying the ANZAC-class ASMD upgrade to the Adelaide-class FFGUP'd frigates would be a quick, easy, or cost-effective installation and integration. The masts are completely different, as are the ship's CMS. Given how difficult and over budget the FFGUP programme was, attempting another comprehensive shipboard electronics and sensor update to induce or increase the value of sales would be a bad idea IMO.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
From an engineering and systems integration perspective, I doubt applying the ANZAC-class ASMD upgrade to the Adelaide-class FFGUP'd frigates would be a quick, easy, or cost-effective installation and integration. The masts are completely different, as are the ship's CMS. Given how difficult and over budget the FFGUP programme was, attempting another comprehensive shipboard electronics and sensor update to induce or increase the value of sales would be a bad idea IMO.
True but it would fix one of the FFGUPs biggest issues, the lack of a 3D radar, which limits its capabilities with both SM-2 and ESSM. Not a simple fit but it would be interesting to see what would be involved in integrating the mast and its associated systems in place of the legacy outfit.

It may be worth investigating as an overall upgrade package for export to other users, say Taiwan.

CB90

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Physics wise to achieve hardkill u need a significant speed advantage which is why MU 90 is the only reasonable candidate in the west
Interesting theory, and certainly applicable for missiles, but there's nothing that backs the requirement for a significant speed advantage in hard kill for torpedoes. Or that MU90 even has a massive speed advantage over any other torpedo for that matter.

MickB

I should have said that I meant not the exact Anzac ASMD upgrade, but a version of it adapted for the Adelaide and Perry classes.
Its not just about this one sale, its about putting Australian technology in front of the world.
As said by Volkodav, there are more OHPs out there.
If the radar is truly scaleable and adaptable then there are many 2nd tier navy's with ships in need of upgrades.
It could create an industry based on refurbishing and upgrading warships for the Asia/Pacific region.

hauritz

The second-hand ship market is probably something we should start looking at more seriously. The continuous build program should deliver a new ship every couple of years. That means that if we keep this going indefinitely we will either have to expand the fleet or start paying off ships early.

It is kind of a roundabout way of exporting Australian built ships.

On a side note ... I am pretty sure that if we sell these two Adelaide frigates they will be the first Australian built frigates we have sold to a foreign power.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I think you are correct - other than to the two ANZACs sold to NZ.
I do not think those would really count, since a substantial portion of the ship blocks for the entire ANZAC-class frigate production were actually built in Whangarei, then transported to Williamstown for assembly. I forget what the number of ship blocks were built there, but it struck me as being a larger percentage of blocks built there than NZ's level of participation would require, especially since the NZ gov't ended up bagging the order and not exercising options for more frigates. For some reason I keep remembering something like 60% of the frigate blocks were built in Whangarei

Oberon

I do not think those would really count, since a substantial portion of the ship blocks for the entire ANZAC-class frigate production were actually built in Whangarei, then transported to Williamstown for assembly. I forget what the number of ship blocks were built there, but it struck me as being a larger percentage of blocks built there than NZ's level of participation would require, especially since the NZ gov't ended up bagging the order and not exercising options for more frigates. For some reason I keep remembering something like 60% of the frigate blocks were built in Whangarei
The work share allocated to NZ was based on the NZG ordering more than the two frigates. The rest is history.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Sort of like the workshare Canada got with the JSF which Canada should have ordered by now. I am surprised Trump hasn’t jumped in on this sore point as it is actually a legitimate complaint as opposed to his other trade BS. Maybe he shouldn’t waste so much time watching TV and on Twitter, there could have been a small chance he would have picked up on this fact.

Dave Dunlop

Sort of like the workshare Canada got with the JSF which Canada should have ordered by now. I am surprised Trump hasn’t jumped in on this sore point as it is actually a legitimate complaint as opposed to his other trade BS. Maybe he shouldn’t waste so much time watching TV and on Twitter, there could have been a small chance he would have picked up on this fact.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
True but it would fix one of the FFGUPs biggest issues, the lack of a 3D radar, which limits its capabilities with both SM-2 and ESSM. Not a simple fit but it would be interesting to see what would be involved in integrating the mast and its associated systems in place of the legacy outfit.

It may be worth investigating as an overall upgrade package for export to other users, say Taiwan.
I had been under the impression that difficulties in developing and integrating the ADACS aboard the Adelaide-class frigates was one of the reasons why the FFGUP programme took so long. If that is correct, then I would be hesitant to attempt adding/replacing/integrating anything else, as that could easily cause the upgrade costs to explode, or force the CMS to be replaced.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I had been under the impression that difficulties in developing and integrating the ADACS aboard the Adelaide-class frigates was one of the reasons why the FFGUP programme took so long. If that is correct, then I would be hesitant to attempt adding/replacing/integrating anything else, as that could easily cause the upgrade costs to explode, or force the CMS to be replaced.
They underestimated the scope and complexity of the work required but got there in the end.

One of the ironies of major progects is when problems are encountered they are either fixed or the project fails, but when they are fixed, instead of building on what has been learned and achieved the powers that be decide to through it all away. It's a bit like reaching the summit of a maintain and not planting the flag or taking a photo because it was harder than expected.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
They underestimated the scope and complexity of the work required but got there in the end.

One of the ironies of major progects is when problems are encountered they are either fixed or the project fails, but when they are fixed, instead of building on what has been learned and achieved the powers that be decide to through it all away. It's a bit like reaching the summit of a maintain and not planting the flag or taking a photo because it was harder than expected.
If the upgraded FFG's were to be kept in Australian service for a longer period of time, then perhaps further development work would be worthwhile to fit something like the CEA-FAR panels or other elements of the ASMD programme, because Australia would (hopefully) be getting some further use out of the effort and additional resources required to carry out the development.

The idea of doing such development on a unit that Australia is either going to scrap or sell, to increase the potential value in a sale or to increase interest and attract potential buyers, sounds entirely too much like the ideas some homeowners get about renovating or putting an addition onto a property that they have already decided to put onto the market. In the US housing market at least, the idea is to increase the level of interest in a home, and/or the value of a home by putting on the addition or carrying out a renovation or update. The reality which often occurs is that the homeowner spends tens of thousands of dollars for a feature or addition that is not of interest or value to prospective buyers, or at least not to the point were the value of the home increases by as much as the homeowner spent.

Using the potential frigate on-sale as an example, if Australia spent AUD$10 mil. per vessel to add 3D and/or phased array radars (PAR) to the Adelaide-class frigates, would that cause the potential buyers to be willing to either spend AUD$10 mil. more for the frigates than they would have been willing to, pre-upgrade, or lead to the buyers spending more to purchase other Australian defence kit?

As a side note, I was just using the AUD$10 mil. number as an example, as it looks like the projected cost for SEA 1448 Phase 2B was projected by the ANAO to actually be AUD$675.8 mil. or about AUD$84.5 mil. per ANZAC-class frigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.