Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Just proves my memory is really going, I probably, make that certainly, once knew it was Dick. Maybe Vinnie picked up BH? As for what BH is holding, I’m a pusser, you’re the A4 bloke! Part of a fuel or hydraulic system maybe?

Right, I’ll have to go do some reading.

SpazSinbad

'spoz' I'm not the 'knower of all A4G fings'. Realistically I can remember some first hand material from my time at NAS Nowra from 1969 until mid 1974 (with time aboard MELBOURNE and time away in USofA for six months when I missed a lot - believe me). All the rest of any A4G knowledge comes from other sources: written, e-mail or otherwise online from forums such as this, where argy-bargy brings out the UNKNOWN UNKNOWN details. If I'm guessing I'll say so - otherwise I'll point to a reference for ye. Now I'll go to see if the SAR pilot is named for the BH pickup.

1980 Di Pietro CROSSES THE LINE JPGDiPietro1980crossLineMELBOURNE.jpg

Last edited:

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I think that would probably be during the RIMPAC deployment; but who would keep a photo like that, and remember they had it? Is that Ian Knox in the chair?

Last edited:

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Did any of you guys know Popeye Ashman when you were on Melbourne ?
That name seems vaguely familiar to me. Do you know what he did or where he worked onboard? I was the ships rugby team skipper and I think he may have played?

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
That name seems vaguely familiar to me. Do you know what he did or where he worked onboard? I was the ships rugby team skipper and I think he may have played?
He is my uncle, Graham "Popeye" Ashman, he was a cook, he spent many years on her, did play a lot of sport in his day, didn't mind a beer or two as well :) I recall him talking about that trip, and he was there until her last day, he always spoke fondly of his time on Melbourne, but never enjoyed in the later days having the asbestos clumps fall off into your face or on your bunk when you were sleeping !! She was a tired old thing by that time.

Cheers

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
If he was a Cook he was in my department which is probably why the name rings a bell, although he would have been working under the SO Catering; there were more than 50 Cooks in MEL in those days, counting those that embarked with the CAG, and about 200 in the Supply department as a whole. And it was nearly 40 years ago!

I can’t seem to find his name in the 25th anniversary book but that doesn’t mean much, they would appear to have only listed about 2/3rds of the ship’s company, and in any case that was a snapshot in time taken about mid year, so he might have posted in afterwards. Do you know what rank he was at the time? I’ve a photo of the Cooks taken on the 1980 IO deployment at home somewhere - I’ll see if I can find it and upload.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
If he was a Cook he was in my department which is probably why the name rings a bell, although he would have been working under the SO Catering; there were more than 50 Cooks in MEL in those days, counting those that embarked with the CAG, and about 200 in the Supply department as a whole. And it was nearly 40 years ago!

I can’t seem to find his name in the 25th anniversary book but that doesn’t mean much, they would appear to have only listed about 2/3rds of the ship’s company, and in any case that was a snapshot in time taken about mid year, so he might have posted in afterwards. Do you know what rank he was at the time? I’ve a photo of the Cooks taken on the 1980 IO deployment at home somewhere - I’ll see if I can find it and upload.
Could be the case, I am also going from memory of conversations I had with him when I was a young fella and when I first joined in 87, I believe he was a Kellick, and from memory because of a particular incident that took place on Melbourne, he was never to be promoted any higher ! he paid off at Cerberus in 88 I think it was, pretty sure I was in Comms School at that stage, he did over 40 in the Puss

Cheers

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw this yesterday and was wondering if infact it is going to be such a big deal in the end? Or perhaps its just another carrot to try and clinch the Sea5000 Deal?

Growth in Australian Sovereign Capability as Navantia Designates Australia Class Manager for Hobart Class Family - Navantia Australia
Icing on the cake.

Type 26 and FREMM just aren't their yet. Obviously having built 3 hobarts this is an easy point to make and sort of equals out any manourvering that is going on with the Canadian deal.

It would be pretty neat if Australia, Canada, Spain and Norway all operated ships all based off the same basic hull and systems. If we do build f-5000's I imagine there is the possibility of Canadian sales of Australian radars and systems and also to Spain and Norway when they want to upgrade their fleet. Then operating across those navies would make it a proven option for more sales, for other hull types.

hauritz

Icing on the cake.

Type 26 and FREMM just aren't their yet. Obviously having built 3 hobarts this is an easy point to make and sort of equals out any manourvering that is going on with the Canadian deal.

It would be pretty neat if Australia, Canada, Spain and Norway all operated ships all based off the same basic hull and systems. If we do build f-5000's I imagine there is the possibility of Canadian sales of Australian radars and systems and also to Spain and Norway when they want to upgrade their fleet. Then operating across those navies would make it a proven option for more sales, for other hull types.
The decision is only a couple of months away so expect a flurry of last minutes deals being offered.

The Hobart should be the favourite and would be my tip to win. Mind you my record hasn't been good as of late. I picked the Soryu for the Collins replacement and Fassmer for the OPV ... so I am 0 for 2 so far.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Icing on the cake.

The RCN didn’t go with Thales APAR for Halifax even though Canada was nvolved in its development. An Ottawa company is also involved with APAR 2. Not impossible that Ceafar could be considered (TTP advantage for OZ) and Navantia is the least risky option for the CSC IMO but the BAE team has Lockheed-Martin Canada, CAE, etc.

swerve

Super Moderator
The RCN didn’t go with Thales APAR for Halifax even though Canada was involved in its development.
The first Halifax class was 10 years old when the first ship with APAR was commissioned. APAR could only have been fitted in refits, e.g. for the Halifax modernisation.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Photo of the chefs in Melbourne is September, 1980 on the IO deployment, as promised. I can name the officers, most of the senior sailors and a few of the junior sailors, but the rest are lost in the mists of time. Is your uncle amongst them? First time I've done this on this board so it will be interesting to see how it turns out!Melbourne Chefs IO 80.jpg

Attachments

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Photo of the chefs in Melbourne is September, 1980 on the IO deployment, as promised. I can name the officers, most of the senior sailors and a few of the junior sailors, but the rest are lost in the mists of time. Is your uncle amongst them? First time I've done this on this board so it will be interesting to see how it turns out!View attachment 45721
So where are you in relation to CMDR S?

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
On his right with the photogrey glasses partially darkened - Wardroom Mess Manager on my right, and SO Catering on Brian Haron's left.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
The decision is only a couple of months away so expect a flurry of last minutes deals being offered.

The Hobart should be the favourite and would be my tip to win. Mind you my record hasn't been good as of late. I picked the Soryu for the Collins replacement and Fassmer for the OPV ... so I am 0 for 2 so far.
I think my ability to pick the winner has been as good as yours, my picks were Soryu and Fassmer too, I'm 0 for 2 too.

So this time I'm going to say, FREMM 1st, T26 2nd and F-5000 last, (surely that means it will go the other way, and the winner is .... F-5000!!!).

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Photo of the chefs in Melbourne is September, 1980 on the IO deployment, as promised. I can name the officers, most of the senior sailors and a few of the junior sailors, but the rest are lost in the mists of time. Is your uncle amongst them? First time I've done this on this board so it will be interesting to see how it turns out!View attachment 45721
No not there, I must have been mistaken, I though it was the trip he spoke of, but obviously not. The guy in the centre row left, second one sitting sorta looks like him though :) I will dig up a pic of him and message you, might help trigger the memory

Cheers

hauritz

I think my ability to pick the winner has been as good as yours, my picks were Soryu and Fassmer too, I'm 0 for 2 too.

So this time I'm going to say, FREMM 1st, T26 2nd and F-5000 last, (surely that means it will go the other way, and the winner is .... F-5000!!!).
Actually it wouldn't surprise me if FREMM got up. They are already building cruise ship blocks in Adelaide with the promise of a lot more to come.

Fincantieri outlines sovereign shipbuilding plan - Defence Connect

The more I think about the more I think we should consider holding off ordering all 9 frigates at once. I would propose ordering 3 F-5000 frigates up front and then just wait and see what the Type 26 has to offer when there is an example in service. On the other hand FREMM is being considered for the US FFG(X) program. I wouldn't mind seeing how that panned out before we made any decision on it.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The more I think about the more I think we should consider holding off ordering all 9 frigates at once. I would propose ordering 3 F-5000 frigates up front and then just wait and see what the Type 26 has to offer when there is an example in service. On the other hand FREMM is being considered for the US FFG(X) program. I wouldn't mind seeing how that panned out before we made any decision on it.
What is it with this inclination - not just by you - to consider buying ships in penny packets and change mid stream for the sake of a few percent - maybe - better performance? Consider that there would be a great financial capital cost of change, lengthy delays and all followed by an increased operating cost with a fleet of bits and pieces. Not to mention that at every "wait and see" we give the political and bureaucratic establishments the opportunity to reduce the numbers built, and the press the chance of some more idiotic beat ups.

How about they make up their minds which ship offers the best solution over the lifetime of the class, and if someone comes up with a better mousetrap, add that in later tranches?

Of course, this approach doesn't feed my own impulse towards paper fleets made real so that I can add to my life long list of ship types visited, but it's a lot more like the way a first world navy acts and a lot less like a third world one made up of many orphaned cast offs with uncertain logistic support

oldsig

Status
Not open for further replies.