Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Well as long as junior is office, Canada will be an opportunity for countries to dump kit they don't need. Doesn't matter to him or our electorate that our services don't want the stuff either.:(

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
As I understand it, the two new AOR's have been reported as scheduled for delivery in 2019 and 2020 (will that slip? Who knows), the statement by the Def Min the other day, announcing the names, said that the ships would enter service from 2020 and reach FOC in 2022.

And of course on top of that, the DWP and DIIP are suggesting a decision just prior to 2025 on if a 3rd AOR or additional Choules type ship would enter service in the late2020s!

There is a third way. The Royal Netherlands Navy has combined two ships into one. Their JSS Karel Doorman has been given quite an extensive RAS capability combining this with her amphibious function.
I think in a navy strapped for resources this is a very smart compromise and could easily work for the RAN

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HNLMS_Karel_Doorman_(A833)

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
A number of years ago, the Dutch government considered selling off the Karl Doorman just as it was being completed as a way to ease their budget problems at the time. Some here strongly recommended purchasing her as a solution to our stalled JSS project and then building 1 or 2 more here. Unfortunately for the RCN, wiser heads prevailed in the Netherlands and the Karl Doorman serves their navy and sometimes the German navy. Meanwhile, our AOR situation has only been partially addressed with Asterix and apparently 2.3 billion is not enough for SeaSpan to build two Berlin class AORs! Time for a visit to South Korea to shop around. A Tide class ship works for me.

walter

A number of years ago, the Dutch government considered selling off the Karl Doorman just as it was being completed as a way to ease their budget problems at the time. Some here strongly recommended purchasing her as a solution to our stalled JSS project and then building 1 or 2 more here. Unfortunately for the RCN, wiser heads prevailed in the Netherlands and the Karl Doorman serves their navy and sometimes the German navy. Meanwhile, our AOR situation has only been partially addressed with Asterix and apparently 2.3 billion is not enough for SeaSpan to build two Berlin class AORs! Time for a visit to South Korea to shop around. A Tide class ship works for me.
This could also work,quite a bit cheaper as the Type 702/Berlin.

New Zealand discloses further details of navy's new fleet tanker | Jane's 360

John, aren't there further ships of the Asterix type available for conversion? Is it planned to convert say two more ships rather than go ahead with the Berlins? This conversion seems satisfy both the RCN budget and also keeps the Shipyard in work.

Found this page which illustrates the impressive conversion results.

http://www.rogerlitwiller.com/2017/11/17/mv-asterix-exterior-tour-of-rcns-interim-aor/

Karel Doorman is built by Damen and our new ice breaker RSV Nuyina is being built now. Time lapse of the build at the link.

Australia’s new icebreaker – RSV Nuyina — Australian Antarctic Division

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There is a third way. The Royal Netherlands Navy has combined two ships into one. Their JSS Karel Doorman has been given quite an extensive RAS capability combining this with her amphibious function.
I think in a navy strapped for resources this is a very smart compromise and could easily work for the RAN

Yep, and that is sort of what is alluded to in the DWP noting the cross over of functions. It certainly makes sense.

hauritz

Yep, and that is sort of what is alluded to in the DWP noting the cross over of functions. It certainly makes sense.
That kind of reminds me of the Canadian JSS program.

They eventually settled on a modified version of the Berlin class ... but one of the other contenders was the Cantabria.

I have never been able to find what ... if any, modifications were proposed for the JSS variant of the Cantabria.

John Newman

The Bunker Group

Yes the Karel Doorman is certainly an impressive ship (I remember being surprised that the Dutch almost disposed of her right at the beginning).

And like you, I've always thought that a ship like the Karel Doorman would be a good solution to the DWP's future AOR or Choules type ship project, maybe you can have your cake and eat it too.

On the question of the potential 3rd AOR for the RAN, I have often thought do we really need a 3rd 'pure' AOR in RAN service? And especially with our Kiwi cousins across the ditch also acquiring their new large AOR too.

Do we really need 4 AOR's in our part of the world?

A Karel Doorman type ship (or even just another improved LPD/LSD), would be my choice, before another AOR.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
John, aren't there further ships of the Asterix type available for conversion? Is it planned to convert say two more ships rather than go ahead with the Berlins? This conversion seems satisfy both the RCN budget and also keeps the Shipyard in work.

Found this page which illustrates the impressive conversion results.

MV ASTERIX -Exterior Tour of RCN’s Interim AOR | Roger Litwiller

Karel Doorman is built by Damen and our new ice breaker RSV Nuyina is being built now. Time lapse of the build at the link.

Australia’s new icebreaker – RSV Nuyina — Australian Antarctic Division
I am sure proper ships could be found for conversion but the politics are a huge issue. SeaSpan has invested ( and Irving too) a lot of money on their shipyard as a condition of guaranteed naval work. Davie was bankrupt when the other two yards were selected. Even if SeaSpan found suitable ships, it is hard to see them getting more money than Davie did for Asterix so for 2 ships that would be 1.4 billion which is almost 1 billion less than what they were promised (which apparently isn't enough now). It will be awhile before the RCN fully evaluates Asterix and I am sure it lacks features that the Berlins will have. The sad fact is the AORs' construction in Canada is a huge waste. Building offshore would be faster and the money saved could have been applied to the CSC program which should and is being built in Canada. SeaSpan should be 2-3 heavy icebreakers in addition to other CG vessels.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Truly impressive. Congratulations RAN.

And here in Canada we wait.
Yes it certainly good to see the RAN's AOR project moving along so smoothly, and the speed at which the project has been moving is also impressive, Cantabria design selected in early 2016, contracts signed before the end of 2016 and delivery scheduled for 2019 and 2020.

As opposed to what is happening in Canada, Berlin class selected back in 2013, and yet the ships are still not scheduled for delivery until 2021 and 2022, and as I also understand it, no steel has started to be cut yet.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
There are provisions in the contract after lease that the RCN could buy her, maybe that's why your beloved PM is stalling see how she stacks up

MV Asterix -Why Not HMCS ASTERIX? | Roger Litwiller
Assuming Asterix proves herself, the ship will likely be purchased as I doubt a Berlin AOR will be finished by the end of the lease. As for junior, absolutely stalling. After promising a huge commitment for UN peacekeeping, he has waffled on that more or less.

t68

On the question of the potential 3rd AOR for the RAN, I have often thought do we really need a 3rd 'pure' AOR in RAN service?
yes we need the third but from my perspective I believe we should have four just for the RAN, we are technically a two ocean Navy one either East or West with the third being a replacement for either when they go in for maintenance

And especially with our Kiwi cousins across the ditch also acquiring their new large AOR too.

That's NZ sovereign capacity not always available to the RAN, hence one of the reasons why we leased Cantabria

John Newman

The Bunker Group
yes we need the third but from my perspective I believe we should have four just for the RAN, we are technically a two ocean Navy one either East or West with the third being a replacement for either when they go in for maintenance

That's NZ sovereign capacity not always available to the RAN, hence one of the reasons why we leased Cantabria
Four AORs for the RAN? That is la la land, where is the budget and manpower going to come from to own and operate 4 x AOR's?

How is the RAN going to employ 4 x AOR's? Even if the RAN ends up with three 'pure' AOR's I would imagine that we would only ever see two in operation at any one time with two crews swapping from one to the other.

And yes of course the new RNZN AOR will be a sovereign NZ capability, but I'm sure having a total of three AOR's either side of the ditch will be worked out by both our Governments for the benefit of all.

I think you missed the point of what I actually said too, I said do we really need a 3rd 'pure' AOR.

A ship like the Karel Doorman would be a better solution, in my opinion, yes it can operate as an AOR (when required), but primarily I would see a greater need for an additional LPD/LSD capability for when Choules (or her future eventual replacement) is not available.

t68

Four AORs for the RAN? That is la la land, where is the budget and manpower going to come from to own and operate 4 x AOR's?

How is the RAN going to employ 4 x AOR's? Even if the RAN ends up with three 'pure' AOR's I would imagine that we would only ever see two in operation at any one time with two crews swapping from one to the other.

And yes of course the new RNZN AOR will be a sovereign NZ capability, but I'm sure having a total of three AOR's either side of the ditch will be worked out by both our Governments for the benefit of all.

I think you missed the point of what I actually said too, I said do we really need a 3rd 'pure' AOR.
Who said anything about budget or manpower increase I'm certainty not expecting it to happen.

All I raised was from my perspective if we are aiming for a two ocean fleet the optimum solution is four vessels, one available at all times East and West with additional capacity for one being deployed overseas at any one time in support of our own task group or coalition event.

As you can see with the recent Indo-Pacific Endeavour 2017 task group one of our fleet support ships is tied up with this group leaving one ship in home waters, not much spare capacity if either ships was to go unserviceable.

But from the latest DWP perspective its either a fleet support or strategic lift ship, we have a need for both, if we can combine both ships to give spare capacity within the budget I'm all for it, relying on the Kiwi fleet oiler is not something I believe the RAN should be doing as they have there own sovereign needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.