Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveR

The french model was very much an inspiration job. They will build a submarine inspired by Barracuda.

Given they haven't IOC the pumpjets, I would be sceptical anyway (particularly after some of the issues with French propellers).

ller.
Back in about 2006 I recall going to a Gibbs & Cox AWD design roadshow. The presenters only wanted to talk about requirements development and were very reluctant to answer questions on what they had actually selected for their AWD solution. In the end one frustrated audience member asked if coal fired steam driven propulsion was still an option. After some mumbling and bumbling the Gibbs & Cox spokesman admitted it was probably not an option for the AWD.

Last edited:

SpazSinbad

What has become of the S 70Bs the Romeo replaced.
Do they have enough life left to perform as utility/SAR helos on the LHDs.
News story gives detail which makes confusing (to me) claims about airframes...
21 Apr 2017 "...The RAN’s S-70B-2 Seahawk helicopters are planned to be withdrawn from service in the 2017-18 financial year, and 11 airframes and associated inventory have been offered for commercial sale.

The airframes were not included as sale items in the Australian Military Sales Equipment Catalogue as they are not in suitable condition to be offered to foreign governments,” a Defence spokesperson told sister publication Australian Defence Business Review on March 1.

“The items available in the catalogue are a small subset of the Seahawk disposal program and consist of spare, airworthy parts.”" Seahawk ‘Skeletor’ retires from RAN service | Australian Aviation

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
As quoted in the article, the RAN will,decide what type of propulsion is chosen. Naval Group have simply placed options to the RAN for assessment and as I have said it is a contract to design, if the design is found to be unacceptable for any reason the others will prevail.

However, we are well into the design and there would have to be a major and unacceptable problem for Naval Group (DCNS) not to be chosen.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

SpazSinbad

I agree with you sentiments. I know every Flight Commander I've ever worked with would be double checking tie down if the ship was expecting rough weather.
My first night aboard MELBOURNE was (as became usual due lowly rank) as Squadron Duty Officer VF-805. Nothing to read about what to do as I recall but probably keeping an eye on our A4Gs would have been a priority in whatever it was written. I was gobsmacked by the closeness of our aircraft in the aft hangar, with the chains secure but aircraft bobbing up and down due the oleos compressing in the sea action, particularly the tall nose oleo. Asked whoever else was around was this OK and finally got to speak to a knowledgeable, reassuring Chief but I could not go without again watching these 'bobbing corks'. And of course I checked back about every half hour and it was always the same - thank goodness. :rolling :daz :D

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
There is, to put it mildly, a lot of incorrect info in those posts - reason for not choosing evolved and for Navantia block build, the statemement about decoys etc.

t68

It's been reported in today's Sydney DT 24oct17 that a new submarine base are being look at in Newcastle and Port Kembla on the East Coast

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's been reported in today's Sydney DT 24oct17 that a new submarine base are being look at in Newcastle and Port Kembla on the East Coast
Google: For first time in two decades, Defence is looking at options for a submarines base on the east coast
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...t/news-story/a3250f868f8ed9a8641e535927323754

We need a base on the east coast. Doesn't have to be as large as Stirling in WA. Something around the Newcastle area would be ideal. The declining (but still existing) coal and steel industries should allow some sites to become free.

This isn't the first time this has been mentioned.

Hunter on list for submarine base | Newcastle Herald

It would solve most of the recruitment problem with submarines. Having an east coast base, where nearly 90% of the Australian population (and industry and manufacturing and FBE) lives would mean more recruits, less volatility due to mining and better retention as people have families etc.

Getting Collins to RIMPAC is a herculean effort currently. Any deployment to the Pacific ocean is. An east coast base would resolve a lot of these issues.

hauritz

I pinched this from the Canadian navy page but i think its good to see that other countries suffer from Sub availability too not just the RAN.
You would think that the Germans would have their Sh#t together a bit more?
All of Germany’s submarines are now out of action | Ottawa Citizen
Britain, Russia, Canada, Spain and now even the Germans have problems with their submarine fleets

Some might think it is ironic that the Collins class seems to be going pretty well at the moment given its history.

Realistically all this is confirming is that building and maintaining submarines is hard and even some of the more experienced operators struggle with sub availability and performance issues.

vonnoobie

https://www.asc.com.au/assets/downloads/ASC_Annual_Report_2017.pdf

Larger profits and further improvements meeting or even exceeding international benchmarks. Keep up the good work.

Naturally main stream media has chosen to ignore then because it is good news, Cant be praising good work. If it isn't criticising or putting down Australia's capabilities or the men and women who design, build and use it they dont want to know about it.. Have to love that media ....

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
https://www.asc.com.au/assets/downloads/ASC_Annual_Report_2017.pdf

Larger profits and further improvements meeting or even exceeding international benchmarks. Keep up the good work.

Naturally main stream media has chosen to ignore then because it is good news, Cant be praising good work. If it isn't criticising or putting down Australia's capabilities or the men and women who design, build and use it they dont want to know about it.. Have to love that media ....
Its amazing what can be acheived when the government gives the experts a free hand to do what they have been recommending for decades, just too bad it took so long, and multiple reports from overseas experts before government started listening.

The ongoing professionalisation of defence is having a beneficial effect as well, meaning they are now able to provide the sort of expertise and advice that is needed for successfull procurement and life cycle management.

Status
Not open for further replies.