Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates 2.0

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stingray, where did you find that image? It's awesome.
Yeh, AI is both terrible and hilarious. I find it interesting to mock up images.

Looking into the playschool window of what ifs..
Anyone keeping track of the F110 Flight II?

I presume this is what Spain was really offering when they offered us to build more Hobart destroyers.

Hobart class, upgradedF110 Flight II / IAMD
Full-load displacement~7,000 t~6,700 t
Length146.7 m~150 m
Beam18.6 m18.6 m
Speed28+ kt>29 kt
Published range4,500 nmi @ 18 kt~4,100 nmi @ 15 kt
Crew~180 nominal~170 + 37 mission/command
Main VLS48 × Mk 41 Strike Length48 × Strike + 16 × Tactical = 64
Main radarAN/SPY-1D(V)AN/SPY-7(V)2, 100 SAS/face
Combat systemFull Aegis Baseline 9 + Australian InterfaceSCOMBA + Aegis IAFCL + CEC
Area AAWSM-2 IIIC, SM-6SM-2; ESSM; other integration possible
Land strikeTomahawk integratedStrike-length cells physically suitable, but Tomahawk integration not announced
Anti-ship8 × NSM8 × NSM
ASW sonarHull + towed-array systemBlueMaster + CAPTAS-4 Compact VDS
PropulsionCODOGquiet CODLAG
HelicopterMH-60RMH-60R/NH90
Main gunMk 45 Mod 4 127 mmOTO 127/64 LW
Close defencePhalanx + Nulka + ESSM30-mm systems + ESSM + decoys; DEW/C-UAS planned
Mission bayLimitedDedicated multi-mission space

I like hunter and mogami. But we have only 3 Destroyers and will continue to do so for a long, long time. But man, that would have been nice to have 2-3 of these. 64 VLS, essentially same layout and systems as Hobart in a similar evolved hull.

I feel if we had gone with that not only would we have things coming to the fleet right now as we are decommissioning ships, but the capabilities would have been welcomed.

We would be getting our first ship next year.
 

iambuzzard

Well-Known Member
Or we the RAN can look at this
They have been in service first as the Military PS-1 Anti-Submarine Flying Boat and De-Militarised US-1 Air-Sea Rescue Amphibian.
Japan have a brilliant program of innovation and upgrading platforms over time as we are seeing with the Evolved Mogami we are getting.
As I have mentioned before, we need to continue a similar program with our own shipbuilding. Move on to an upgraded version after our initial 11. Rotate out the older platforms and replace them with upgrades. Or even better, increase our numbers for a simple fix to the valley of death.
 
Last edited:

Takao

The Bunker Group
The Mogami is cited as a mine warfare ship ,the rear opening appears large enough for other types of deployments ,I was thinking surface and sub surface drones is there any idea how large this rear crago hold is and if practical to make such a change
A fascinating claim - that I've run past some mine warfare or ASW PWOs to much amusement.

Sure, there is a stand-off capability. It'd be fine if you knew for sure where the edge of the minefield was, and you didn't have something else to do. And yes, frigates have been run through unknown areas to check if clear before (looks at the Falklands). But I'd be highly surprised if either us or the Japanese would actually chose to commit a Mogami to sweep or clear mines
 
Top