Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates 2.0

protoplasm

What happens if you don’t, out of interest?
All radioactive liquids will eventually leak from the primary circuit due to corrosion or mechanical failure of a valve or coupling. This is highly contaminated and must be managed outside of a passively stored reactor. BUT, with no coolant the reactor will still be passively heated due to radioactive decay of the daughter products. Overtime this could cause melting in the core itself, which could be enough to allow the radioactive elements to escape the containment vessel. Nothing inside the core is something that you want on the outside of the containment.

On top of that you would have a forever security issue, where you would need to actively secure the site where the radioactive material is stored against any determined party that wants the ingredients for a dirty bomb.

This is something that has been worked through by other countries, who have established processes to deal with the decom of naval reactors.

Overview of Nuclear Submarine Inactivation and Scrapping/Recycling in the United States this is an old journal article, but gives an overview of the processes adopted by the USN

Going Boeing

DDFC0117-4B77-41D1-9FFF-81873C26DA0C.jpeg

This is a Google Maps view of the Hanford Site in Washington State where the used reactors are stored. Trench 94 is very deep and contains encased reactors from all the decommissioned submarines & surface ships that have been nuclear powered, there may be some civilian nuclear waste as well. These reactors were defueled before being encased and shipped to this site.

89DA9791-EE1D-4227-90AF-6F2ACEA0A712.jpeg

Last edited:

Mikeymike

This has been previously suggested but this statement confirms the first AUKUS submarine built for Australia will be built in the U.K
First new Australian nuclear sub to be built in Britain (ukdefencejournal.org.uk)
That is the same quote that was mentioned before where I think the minister is referring to South Australia is being the location of the first RAN build but it has been misinterpreted as Barrow.

The Australian Defence website has more information which states Australia as the location.

https://www.defence.gov.au/about/taskforces/aukus/australias-nuclear-powered-submarines

In particular it is pretty clear saying:

1678960022443.png

seaspear

The U.Ks Navy Lookout also quoted their defence minister saying the same thing that first AUS boat to be built at BAES Maritime in Barrow, march 15th looking forward to retraction

Reptilia

Sub yard potentially revealed on 7 news, I noticed they had a picture of Osborne north that was shaded red which looked like asc hall and current sub lift will be kept solely for the Collins fleet. a potential new lift or dock at snapper point, the sub assembly hall above mutton cove conservation reserve and the fab building etc above current asc hall, next to the Hunter assembly hall all the way along to the ferrocut building. Entry of complete or partially completed modules potentially move into assembly hall or some other building above above ferrocut.

was a little different to the pic in the advertiser Which had the hall on snapper point.

Image deleted.

@Reptilia Where is the source for this image. You have neglected to follow the rules and Moderators directions about providing sources. You were given a 24 hour reply ban from this thread because of this. Since you won't follow the rules, a one month ban is imposed. If you don't learn the lesson a permanent ban will follow.

Ngatimozart

Last edited by a moderator:

OldTex

The U.Ks Navy Lookout also quoted their defence minister saying the same thing that first AUS boat to be built at BAES Maritime in Barrow, march 15th looking forward to retraction
It would seem that the excitement in the UK media (and parliament) was based on poor usage of the english language. The UK government has released a factsheet which includes the following, "Australia’s SSN-AUKUS submarines will be built at Australia’s future Submarine Construction Yard in Adelaide, South Australia – employing thousands of workers onsite at peak." The UK parliament Hansard record of the answer by the Minister shows as "Indeed, this Thursday, I am looking forward to going to Barrow with the Premier of South Australia—South Australia being the place where the first SSN-AUKUS for the Royal Australian Navy will be built."

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It would seem that the excitement in the UK media (and parliament) was based on poor usage of the english language. The UK government has released a factsheet which includes the following, "Australia’s SSN-AUKUS submarines will be built at Australia’s future Submarine Construction Yard in Adelaide, South Australia – employing thousands of workers onsite at peak." The UK parliament Hansard record of the answer by the Minister shows as "Indeed, this Thursday, I am looking forward to going to Barrow with the Premier of South Australia—South Australia being the place where the first SSN-AUKUS for the Royal Australian Navy will be built."
Is that South Auatralian Premier Peter Malinaukus ? :D
Sorry had to be said !!

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hull forms of the Astute and the Virginia submarines are very different, the Virginia being what appears as an evolution of the earlier teardrop hulls, significantly longer
Is there a technical benefit in the Astute shape, I assume that there must be? Its been a long time since I studied fluid mechanics at UNSW

The hull form for Astute and Dreadnought is shaped for reducing active acoustic search returns - it's intended to make the boat harder to detect using sonar pings in other words.

In short, it's not a hydrodynamic measure.

Morgo

The hull form for Astute and Dreadnought is shaped for reducing active acoustic search returns - it's intended to make the boat harder to detect using sonar pings in other words.

In short, it's not a hydrodynamic measure.
Presumably the same principle as the stealth shaping on the F-117?

How interesting.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
If we read through the last few pages of the RAN thread, it's been " I suspect that...." or "I imagine it will..." or "I think what it means is...." I am getting a bit sick of the excitement about the current announcements so far. Can we just wait for details instead of speculation please?

Richo99

If we read through the last few pages of the RAN thread, it's been " I suspect that...." or "I imagine it will..." or "I think what it means is...." I am getting a bit sick of the excitement about the current announcements so far. Can we just wait for details instead of speculation please?
With all due respect, what's the point of a discussion board if you can't discuss? Obviously speculation needs to have some connection to reality, but if so, what's the harm? If all we are doing is waiting for press releases, it's not much of a community. Just my opinion of course.