Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates 2.0

John Newman

The Bunker Group
In spite of all the problems experienced during the Hobart build they manage to deliver 3 ships between 2012 to 2020. Based on those performances is it really that hard for the Hunter class to deliver similar number of ships between next year and 2031?
Three ships between 2012-2020? Seriously? Let’s have a bit of a reality check here.

The Spanish design was selected in June 2007 and an order placed in October 2007.

What happened to the five years between 2007 and 2012? Do those FIVE years not count? Did they disappear like a fart in the wind??

You are not comparing apples with apples.

During the Hobart build a ‘continuous’ build program didn’t exist, and there were ‘multiple yards’ supplying blocks to Osborne for consolidation.

On the other hand Hunter was chosen in June 2018, and yes there have been delays since, and yes ‘omissions’ were made in what the real production schedule would be due to adapting a ‘reference’ design into a final ‘production’ design.

Start of ‘real’ production has been delayed 18mths until around mid 2024, in the interim five prototype block are being built to ensure the bugs are ironed out (lessons learnt from Hobart block production), and more recently it’s been reported that three of those prototype blocks will become production blocks.

It’s also been reported that by Ship 04, the 18mth delay will be caught up.

Do we all want to see the Hunter FFGs delivered asap? Of course we do, but is delaying production (and catching up time later), better in the long run? I think it is.

Here’s the ‘Catch 22’, how do you deliver the RAN what it needs, and at the same time have a ‘drum beat’ that allows for sustainment of a Naval shipbuilding industry?

You spread the Drumbeat out to approx 24mths, or you speed it up to 18mths or less by increasing the number of hulls to be produced.

Currently the Government mandated number of MFU is 12 (hence the approx 24mth drumbeat), if the number of MFU was increased to 13 or 14, or ??, the drumbeat could be modified to 18mths or less.

Anyway, you can’t compare Hobart construction to the Hunter construction timeline, different times, different circumstances.

Stampede

Is there any news on NUSHIP Arafura.
Sea trials? Pics or any info for Arafura and sister ships.
Updates would be appreciated.

Cheers S

Milne Bay

Technically it will be the first ship to be called His Majesty’s Australian Ship for over 70 years.
Aren't all RN and RAN ships now automatically called His Majesty's Ships or His Majesty's Australian Ships?
Or has there to be some official changeover
MB

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Recent milestone achieved for the Hobart class :
"The Royal Australian Navy Hobart Class guided missile destroyer (DDG) HMAS Sydney became the first Hobart class DDG to strike a land target with a Harpoon surface to surface missile during Exercise Pacific Vanguard 22." Image Source : ADF Image Library
View attachment 49629
I wonder if we will see more regular live firings over the next few years as Harpoon capability draws down and NSM stands up?

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Aren't all RN and RAN ships now automatically called His Majesty's Ships or His Majesty's Australian Ships?
MB
Yes. Arafura will, however, be the first RAN ship since Tobruk (I) to be commissioned as one of His Majesty's Australian Ships

On Arafura, she has not yet started sea trials. I believe equipment set to work and harbour trials are underway. I've also heard on the grapevine that a gun has been selected but (somewhat frustratingly) not which gun it is.

buffy9

Yes. Arafura will, however, be the first RAN ship since Tobruk (I) to be commissioned as one of His Majesty's Australian Ships

On Arafura, she has not yet started sea trials. I believe equipment set to work and harbour trials are underway. I've also heard on the grapevine that a gun has been selected but (somewhat frustratingly) not which gun it is.
Is it assumed that she will have basing by the time she finishes sea trials and is comissioned? Based on Google Earth, the expansion of HMAS Coonawarra is still being completed.

Stampede

Thanks

Looking forward to some pics undertaking sea trials.

As to the gun, I'd speculate whatever is selected would still take some time to manufacture and install.

I'm guessing she will initially be commissioned with the 25mm Typhoon\ Bushmaster.

Cheers S

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I think you’ll find both Arafura and Eyre are due to be based initially at Stirling. Pretty sure that was announced as the plan some time ago. Was in Darwin last week and, yes, it looks like the work at DNB has some distance to go.

Lolcake

Chief of Navy Mark Hammond mentioning Rear Admiral Scott Pappano comments are not binding ("US shipyards wont supply Aust with Virginia's") and look towards an annoucment from US president and high command.

“There’s been a lot of commentary ever since the [AUKUS] announcement about a year ago,” he said. “I would listen to whatever the President of the United States and [his] authorised spokespeople say on this because I think there’s going to be lots of different opinions.”

Hammond, who spent much of his Navy career as a submariner, added: “I always try to wait for the senior leadership to actually put a position forward. For me, it’s a bit in the noise.”

Last edited:

ddxx

In regards to HMAS Coonawarra, you'd imagine there's a high likelihood the upcoming Defence Review will recommend the basing of surface combatants.

For the ability to maintain constant northern presence from Darwin, how many combatants would need to be based there at minimum? Three?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
MB
All RAN, RCN, RNZN and RN ships automatically became His Majesty's Ships or His Majesty's Australian / Canadian / New Zealand Ships as soon as he became King upon the death of his Mother Elizabeth II.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
In regards to HMAS Coonawarra, you'd imagine there's a high likelihood the upcoming Defence Review will recommend the basing of surface combatants.
For the ability to maintain constant northern presence from Darwin, how many combatants would need to be based there at minimum? Three?
What are the Armidales ? Chopped liver ? I'm assuming what you're referring to is Major Fleet Units such as DDGs and FFGs ? You're talking a significant port upgrade not to mention personnel accommodation expansions - if you can get people to want to live in Darwin for 2-3 years.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

No you wouldn’t, for the reasons DDG38 mentions and also because the maintenance and training capabilities needed for them to remain effective are not located there; and to establish them would cost billions which we could better use elsewhere. And, Darwin is in a strategically vulnerable location as was shown during WW2. You don’t establish bases for major capabilities which have inherent strategic mobility in such situations. You forward deploy such capabilities there as needed.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Wont happen.

We could argue size of the base, personnel etc but the reason is Cyclones. Majors cant crash sail if in deep maintenance unlike ACPB. Arafura will be interesting with scheduling all deep Maintenance for dry season to keep it floating unless send to FBW.

Even with new ship lift facilities which are suitable for Anzacs, they wont be doing any work there unless emergency and in the Dry.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
What are the Armidales ? Chopped liver ? I'm assuming what you're referring to is Major Fleet Units such as DDGs and FFGs ? You're talking a significant port upgrade not to mention personnel accommodation expansions - if you can get people to want to live in Darwin for 2-3 years.
Why oh why did you have to ask what the Armidales are? I am soooo tempted to answer. Personally, I think "combatant" is too strong a word for them, and what i believe about them is probably less extreme than many of the poor buggers who have had to operate them.

That said, as you pointed out, stationing majors in Darwin would be problematic.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Why oh why did you have to ask what the Armidales are? I am soooo tempted to answer. Personally, I think "combatant" is too strong a word for them, and what i believe about them is probably less extreme than many of the poor buggers who have had to operate them.

That said, as you pointed out, stationing majors in Darwin would be problematic.
C’mon V, don’t be shy, tell us how you really feel about Austal and their products?

Not like we haven’t heard it all before, ha ha!