Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates

swerve

Super Moderator
The reality is the A400M will soon be the only Western choice for heavy loads and semi-strategic lift now that the C-17 production has ended. Until the issue of AAR for helicopters is resolved with the A400M, the C-130J will be needed and for in-theater lift, it still will be a major player for many air forces.
Yesss ... I don't see the KC-390 as being good at AAR for helicopters.

Maybe a C-295 AAR version? Something with a plug & play system like that on A400M.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reports coming out of The Sun that the RAF are to get 12 P-8 MPA.

I know, I don't believe it either, at least not until it's something official. Still, it's the sort of decision we expect to be made relatively soon although not really until SDSR 2015. The graphic accompanying the article (which is behind a paywall) describes how a MAD boom works. . . .

The Sun

An A400M destined for the Turkish Air Force has crashed in Spain, at least 4 are dead with two more badly injured.

MoD suspends use of two military planes after Spanish crash - BBC News

The RAF have grounded their pair of aircraft as a precaution.

If its true about the P8 it is great news but I hope it doesn't cost the Sentinel and/or Shadow fleets.
With the current potential threat from Russia & ISIS if the UK operated P8/Sentinel/Shadow/AirSeeker we would have very capable capabilities.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Reports coming out of The Sun that the RAF are to get 12 P-8 MPA.

I know, I don't believe it either, at least not until it's something official. Still, it's the sort of decision we expect to be made relatively soon although not really until SDSR 2015. The graphic accompanying the article (which is behind a paywall) describes how a MAD boom works. . . .

The Sun

An A400M destined for the Turkish Air Force has crashed in Spain, at least 4 are dead with two more badly injured.

MoD suspends use of two military planes after Spanish crash - BBC News

The RAF have grounded their pair of aircraft as a precaution.
The Sunday Express ran a similar story: Russian nuclear submarine threat to see £2billion to be invested in RAF jets | UK | News | Daily Express

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, they both rank the same in terms of credibility, they usually piggy-back eachother in stories like this.

Still, glad to see buying the P-8 getting some sort of press, credible or not.

If its true about the P8 it is great news but I hope it doesn't cost the Sentinel and/or Shadow fleets.
With the current potential threat from Russia & ISIS if the UK operated P8/Sentinel/Shadow/AirSeeker we would have very capable capabilities.
I'd be quite happy to bin Sentinel if we could wangle 2-3 more P-8 airframes and see if we could get a few AAS kits. IMO that'd be fantastic, although i do accept i'm wandering into fantasy fleet territory.

The numbers have been called into question & rightly so, most assume a small purchase of something like 6-8 being enough to tide us over or even leasing something like 4 similar to the C-17 procurement program.

P-8 isn't without problems though. Either we pay to integrate Stingray and use the airframe at lower altitudes thus stressing the airframe more, or buy a limited stock of Mk46 with wingkits.

Frankly, i'd prefer the latter.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting snippet in this piece about UK C-130 upgrades, it appears (according to DefenseNews at least) that there's still debate going on inside the UK about whether to hang on to 7 or 8 Hercs for SF work.

UK Set To Start C-130J Upgrade Flight Tests

Course, that's an SDSR problem right there.
Doesn't surprise me - the A400M is a mighty lifter but it's a big old girl to get into a short strip doing sneaky Pete stuff.

the concerned

People here would know I quite often sit down at Duxford and watch aircraft movements and have seen c-130's go in and out . Could the A-400m get in there or not.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
People here would know I quite often sit down at Duxford and watch aircraft movements and have seen c-130's go in and out . Could the A-400m get in there or not.
Yes - the paved run way is 1500m long, about double the tactical length the A400 needs.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
No UK Spear Cap 3 Decision on F-35 until 2018

Not great, but not unexpected. I really hope the UK decides to go with Spear 3 over SDB II. It's been considered as being the way the UK could conduct SEAD/DEAD considering it'd be an 8-capacity internally carried weapon.

Block 4 software's still a bit of a clusterf*ck as it hasn't yet been defined IIRC

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Soon the UK will start testing the A400M to suit UK specific equipment like parachutes, air delivery systems etc.

UK to begin testing national A400M capabilities shortly - IHS Jane's 360

The UK plans to role out the capabilities in multiple tranches. Tranche 1 is the basic strategic airlift capability (Sept 2015), tranche 2 is 'Non-permissive environment' and inter-theatre capability in 2016 with the latter being a deployable capability in 2017, tranche 3 is tactical airlift and para-drops in late 2017 And tranche 4 being full operational capability including full support capability for 16 Air Assault brigade in the 2018-2022 timeframe.

The article also describes pilot training, all pilots will be capable of the strategic airlift mission, the cream of those will go on to tactical training with a cadre of those doing low level flight training and other SF tasking training.

The 3rd A400M has been delivered to Brize Norton today too.

Gibbo

T6C for RAF

Has the deal with Affinity for new trainers etc been signed yet? Just curious as to when an order for T6C is likely.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't think so, I haven't heard much and when I look into it all I can find is reports dating to October last year when they won the contract.

Most likely it'll come after SDSR 2015.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I see that the Kawasaki P1 is going to be present at this years RIAT on 17 - 19 July 2015 at RAF Fairford. The aim is to market it to the UK as an MPA.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not fancying it. I'm sure it's a nice aircraft but we need something that works, off the shelf.

Will P1 already have a globalised (ie, English) combat system and flight management menus for instance? That might be quite a piece of work right there.

swerve

Super Moderator
I expect the combat system will work in English, because they'd want everything to work seamlessly with US forces - both ways. It's all the other stuff that bothers me. Weapons? Have to integrate anything that isn't Japanese or American. Engines unique, with no commercial or allied military (within reach in a hurry) supply chain to fall back on. The same for most other parts. No local suppliers unless we replaced lots of bits, which would be expensive & time-consuming & introduce development risk.

If there was some joint European buy, with integration of selected local stuff (& I'd extend that to major things we know work & have been successfully put into new types, such as FITS), I'd love it. But reality keeps breaking through . . . that isn't going to happen.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm really excited to hear that, i've got tickets for an arrival day and departure day so hopefully i'll see them come in!

I'm really excited to hear that, i've got tickets for an arrival day and departure day so hopefully i'll see them come in!
Now that makes me jealous Rob, I would like to go to Oshkosh this year as the F-35 and F-22 will both be there, this is the first civilian airshow appearance for the F-35.

Any word on when the F-35 might make its debut in the UK?

C-130

Interesting snippet in this piece about UK C-130 upgrades, it appears (according to DefenseNews at least) that there's still debate going on inside the UK about whether to hang on to 7 or 8 Hercs for SF work.

UK Set To Start C-130J Upgrade Flight Tests

Course, that's an SDSR problem right there.
Well the C-130A Dash 1 was my first reading primer, my Dad was an IP on the C-130, when he went to SEA, he flew the MC-130E, heavy chain/rivet yard, which later became the Combat Talon I, it had terrain following radar, and the Fulton Recovery system.

I was prolly the only 4 year old on base, who had a rudimentary understanding of the fire control system on those big Allisons, you had two shots, first pull of the handle was one shot, rotate the handle to the vertical for your second shot. The A model had 3 bladed props and was a virtual fighter plane to fly, ole Pappy loved that bird, transitioned out of C-119s into 130s and never looked back, and never looked around, he flew it until he retired from LRAFB in Arkansas about 1972.

no doubt the C-130 will continue to be our heavy lifter into the future, although Air-Bus is planning on selling a few to the US military? of course C-17 production is coming to an end, not so for the C-130.

The US Navy landed a C-130 on a carrier in olden days, took off as well, it is a very healthy performer to be able to do that even once. They concluded it was too risky to be a regular practice due to size.