RMAF Future; need opinions

renjer

weasel1962 said:
The intended frigate purchase is a mystery though. What happened to the OPV?
Good point. This is in response to an unsolicited proposal by BAE to sell 2 frigates financed against pledges secured by the national gold reserves. The story has it that the RMN opposed the plans unless the ships were built in the country. As I understand it, the OPV is to continue but not up to the earlier figure of 27 units.

renjer

111Lover said:
IMO, the F/A-18E/F would be a perfect replacement for the C/Ds and an excellent compliment to the SU-30MKK.
The issue has always been the small number of aircraft that the RMAF operates overall. With such small numbers a split fleet is counter-productive. BTW, The Su-30 bound for Malaysia are the MKM coming out of Irutsk. The MKK are produced out of KNAAPO.

renjer

Subangite said:
Great news that Malaysia is purchasing new Aermacci trainer aircraft and new frigates, but with regards to their choice in ordering new Aermacci and the current batch of Hawks, wouldn't it make more sense logistically to operate just one type?
Well, the article only states that preliminary discussions have begun. It is not yet a confirmed purchase.

Ding

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
renjer said:
Good point. This is in response to an unsolicited proposal by BAE to sell 2 frigates financed against pledges secured by the national gold reserves. The story has it that the RMN opposed the plans unless the ships were built in the country. As I understand it, the OPV is to continue but not up to the earlier figure of 27 units.
as per the original navy requirement, i think in an interview late last year the RMN Chief did say that they would like to complete the frigate squadron to six as it's the best cost saving number and also in terms of readiness. They were looking into FY2000 type frigate to ease maintenance and logistics.

also recently i heard that the 2 frigates will be built in Labuan... Sabah Shipyard..hmmmm another OPV story coming up:eek:

Subangite

Ding said:
as per the original navy requirement, i think in an interview late last year the RMN Chief did say that they would like to complete the frigate squadron to six as it's the best cost saving number and also in terms of readiness. They were looking into FY2000 type frigate to ease maintenance and logistics.

also recently i heard that the 2 frigates will be built in Labuan... Sabah Shipyard..hmmmm another OPV story coming up:eek:
I purpose a new thread in the Navy, its an interesting topic for us enthusiasts, so I guess the navy are choosing additional BAe F2000 Frigates?.

Anyways, back to the thread, where are the RMAF planning to place these new Aermacci's? Will we see some consolidation of aircraft inventory? Aermacci trainers over BAe Hawks? Besides problems with operations of RMAF Hawks, do these Aermacci trainers provide a technical upper hand to be chosen over more Hawk trainers?

mmmbop

Ding said:

Daripada Ahmad Fuad Yahya

LONDON, 19 Julai (Bernama) -- Timbalan Perdana Menteri Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak berkata Malaysia akan belajar daripada pengalaman lepas supaya tidak mengulangi kesilapan dahulu dalam melaksanakan projek pembinaan dua buah frigat nanti.

Bagi memastikan projek itu dilaksanakan dengan lancar, pihak pengurusan yang bakal dilantik mestilah yang berwibawa dan mempunyai integriti, katanya kepada pemberita Malaysia di sini.

Beliau berkata demikian ketika ditanya mengenai kesediaan Malaysia untuk melaksanakan projek pembinaan dua buah frigat, sebagaimana yang beliau umumkan di sini Isnin lepas, dengan mengambilkira kelewatan projek pembinaan kapal-kapal peronda di Lumut oleh sebuah sebuah syarikat tempatan.

Najib yang berada di sini untuk lawatan ke Pertunjukan Udara Antarabangsa Farnborough di Hampshire, di luar London, telah mengumumkan bahawa Malaysia berhasrat membina dua frigat bersama BAE Systems di Labuan dalam usaha meningkatkan keupayaan pertahanan negara.

Terdahulu, Najib menyampaikan Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM) kepada 40 veteran perang British di pejabat Suruhanjaya Tinggi Malaysia di sini.

Katanya majlis penyampaian pingat PJM hari ini adalah simbol usaha Malaysia untuk menghargai jasa mereka yang telah berkorban untuk menjadikan Malaysia berjaya pada hari ini.

Ini adalah kali pertama veteran perang British menerima pingat PJM, yang akan disampaikan secara berperingkat.

Kumpulan kedua seramai 74 orang akan menerima pingat itu di Malaysia pada Oktober ini, dan usaha sedang dibuat oleh Pelancongan Malaysia untuk membawa mereka ke tanah air bagi tujuan itu.

Terdapat lebih 30,000 veteran perang British dan sehingga ini kira-kira 8,000 daripada mereka sudah memohon untuk mendapatkan pingat PJM.

-- BERNAMA
Well we'll see, how good they monitor the project.

offtopic:r related to the NGPV programme,PV171 has been officially commissioned,the 172 on it's way.and the remaining 4 are said to be in various stages of construction.it's exciting since the DPM has said that the remaining 4 are going to be equipped as NGPC

Last edited:

renjer

weasel1962 said:
I think steps are already taken to handle the 2 trainer types.

There were talks between finmeccanica and BAE to set up a JV to handle merged training for aermacchi and hawks. Looks like they had some markets in mind already.
This is interesting. I had assumed Finmeccanica and BAE would be in open competition against each other.

renjer

Awang se said:
I do hope they'll replace the current Bars in those MKMs with Phazotron NIIR Zhuk-A.
I don't know too much about radars. Care to share why you think the Phazotrons would be better?

tphuang

Super Moderator
Awang se said:
I do hope they'll replace the current Bars in those MKMs with Phazotron NIIR Zhuk-A.
Well, the one that is supposed to fly has a diameter of 700 mm. So, that's basically developed for the MRCA tender. If they want to enlarge it again for flankers, that would take more development time. And, there is no guarantee that Zhuk-A will finish in the timeline established by the Phazotron. MKM would be better off with Irbis when it comes out.

sevven

Awang se said:
I agree with tphuang on this; better to wait for Irbis, which is designed for the Su-30 platform. In the meantime I'd rather we look at acquiring more of the Su-30MKM first.

Subangite

weasel1962 said:
Just read JDW, 10 May 2006 issue reported discussion was for 8 MB339CD + 4 options. So the M346 is not going to happen. What's holding up agreement is Malaysia's request for landing rights in Italy.
I thought the Italian government has agreed on additional landing rights.

renjer

weasel1962 said:
Just read JDW, 10 May 2006 issue reported discussion was for 8 MB339CD + 4 options. So the M346 is not going to happen. What's holding up agreement is Malaysia's request for landing rights in Italy.

Changes to agreed contracts will generally involve penalties and delivery delays. Hence is unlikely to happen.
What is unlikely to happen? Purchase of the MB339CDs? Or the M346s?

A quick note: The deal to purchase to the Scorpenes was also delayed because of Malaysia's request for additional landing rights at De Gaulle.

Last edited:

renjer

RE: Guess the airfield

1.Subang
2.Kuantan
3.Bayan Lepas (were you looking for Butterworth instead?)
4.Kluang
5.Pengkalen Chepa
6.Sungai Besi
7.Labuan
8.Kuching
9.Sepang

Has anyone been able to locate Gong Kedak?