RMAF Future; need opinions

STURM

It was expected that both would be selected. Apart from what Leonardo was offering there wasn't much competition for the Anka. It was the desired option; both from a technical and political perspective. The RMAF has announced that the MALEs will be based at Labuan. On the MPAs the ATR was the favourite from the start and apparently some negotiations went on to reduce the price.

As it stands if there is a change of government in the next General Elections [to be held this year or next] both deals will probably be delayed.

STURM

The aircraft is offered which a pretty decent sensor/mission suite and various things which are compatible can be added if a customer so chooses. Adding Israeli stuff will entail integration and certification; driving up overall costs.

Sandhi Yudha

The RMAF has acquired an aerial mine laying capability for its C-130Hs and A400Ms. The make of the mine hasn't yet been identified.
What kind of mine dispensers are these things?
Anti-personnel/anti-tank for on land or floating/subsurface ones for use at sea?

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Malaysia officially put FA-50 Block 20 as LCA/LIFT winner on the selection. Before hand HAL seems already throw towel in the competition, and acknowledge KAI in the lead contention.

This also means the 18 FA-50 could be the first batch on two sq of LCA/LIFT that previously being talk by Malaysian media and forums.

Add Korean sources:

Last edited:

koxinga

Interestingly, the Malaysian Defense Minister confirmed during parliament debates on the budget that they had contacted the Kuwaiti Ministry of Defense at least 3 times to enquire on the availability of the used Hornets without getting a response.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
This also means the 18 FA-50 could be the first batch on two sq of LCA/LIFT that previously being talk by Malaysian media and forums.

Jane's got information from KAI that Malaysia will execute the order for 2nd batch of 18 FA-50. The way I see it the First Batch going to be use to fill the gap from Mig-29 and the Second Batch for replacement of Hawk 200. Mig 29 already in reserve, while Hawk 200 still operational. So logically they will use FA-50 to fill the gap for Mig 29 first.

Sandhi Yudha

Jane's got information from KAI that Malaysia will execute the order for 2nd batch of 18 FA-50. The way I see it the First Batch going to be use to fill the gap from Mig-29 and the Second Batch for replacement of Hawk 200. Mig 29 already in reserve, while Hawk 200 still operational. So logically they will use FA-50 to fill the gap for Mig 29 first.
Thank you for explaining. I found these two videos but i didn't realize that it was a second batch of 18 FA-50. (Probably because i don't understand that language)

The KAI T-50 is quite popular among the ASEAN-countries....

Ananda

The Bunker Group
I believe that KBS video is about the signing on final contract for first batch of 18 FA-50. This article from Bemil Chosun explain that.

So far, Jane's article is the one that explain 2nd batch will be execute. Although Malaysian sources before already stated that 2nd batch is expected.

Yes T-50 family is already quite a take in not only in South East Asia, but also Internationally. It is an aircraft that make sense for those who looks for both LCA and LIFT capabilities.

Malaysian media and online forums talk that FA-50 narrowly beat Indian Tejas for this LCA and LIFT competition. Tejas reported has edge as LCA but latest iteration on FA-50 close the Tejas advantage as LCA. While FA-50 already got advantage on LIFT capabilities.

Thus for those who looking both capabilities, it is make more sense with FA-50.

Last edited:

koxinga

Cost effective seems to be the value proposition for the T/FA-50s success, along with short delivery times.

For airforces with limited numbers of full fledged multi-role jets, they can take over part of the air sovereignty/QRA missions. This in turn will reduce the wear and tear of these expensive jets, stretching the airframe hours and time between overhauls.

Sandhi Yudha

The Malaysian government has signed a contract with Aeritalia for 2 ATR 72 MPA. The ATRs are for Maritime Patrol use, but it is unclear if these two aircrafts are for TUDM or TLDM.

So in the recent period Malaysia has ordered these items:
18 x KAI FA-50M
2 x ATR P-72 MPA
3 x TAI ANKA S MALE-UAS
4 x Sikorsky UH-60 Blackhawk

Last edited:

koxinga

The Malaysian government has signed a contract with Aeritalia for 2 ATR 72 MPA. The ATRs are for Maritime Patrol use, but it is unclear if these two aircrafts are for TUDM or TLDM.

So in the recent period Malaysia has ordered these items:
18 x KAI FA-50M 2 x Leonardo P-72 MPA 3 x TAI ANKA S MALE-UAS 4 x Sikorsky UH-60 Blackhawk
MPA assets are TUDM/RMAF operated , same with their old Air Kings, and their CN-235 MPA conversions, but the mission crew I think is part RMN.

The UH-60s are leased assets for PUTD.

Meriv90

Last year they were MSA, Multimission Surveillance Aircraft
But when they sold they changed the nomenclature to MPA,
Did the suite change or it is just Leonardo that is selling a MSA like MPA for marketing reasons?